+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Bricekemayou

May 8, 2019
Hi all
Pls need help
Applied since April 1 and haven’t gotten updates from the dakar visa office
I wrote to them asking why this delay!
(Got friends who applied 2 weeks after me and have already gotten their visa)
And they replied as such

In accordance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, every applicant must be subject of different verifications, namely: Health Security and Criminality. We must conduct background verifications or proceed with an in-depth verification of your application and no action is required on your part at this time.

Bricekemayou

May 8, 2019
Received this from the dakar when i asked whil is my application taking so long!!

« In accordance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, every applicant must be subject of different verifications, namely: Health Security and Criminality. We must conduct background verifications or proceed with an in-depth verification of your application and no action is required on your part at this time. »
Pls can someone explain.?
Can someone help pls!?

Evankc

Dec 13, 2018
Hi all
Pls need help
Applied since April 1 and haven’t gotten updates from the dakar visa office
I wrote to them asking why this delay!
(Got friends who applied 2 weeks after me and have already gotten their visa)
And they replied as such

In accordance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, every applicant must be subject of different verifications, namely: Health Security and Criminality. We must conduct background verifications or proceed with an in-depth verification of your application and no action is required on your part at this time.
Your application is still on background check: they are going through some secret security check on your profile to see if you have any criminal case or not before they will hand over to the vo for eligibility then follow by final decision.

So once they are done with your background check they will start to update you and your eligibility will start also. So give them time to go through your documents and let them finish there security check up

Bricekemayou

May 8, 2019
Your application is still on background check: they are going through some secret security check on your profile to see if you have any criminal case or not before they will hand over to the vo for eligibility then follow by final decision.

So once they are done with your background check they will start to update you and your eligibility will start also. So give them time to go through your documents and let them finish there security check up
What i don’t understand is the fact that people that apply weeks after has already received their final decision!

Evankc

Dec 13, 2018
What i don’t understand is the fact that people that apply weeks after has already received their final decision!

Because everyone are not the same and also treat by different vo so yours might landed on the desk of vo that have so many applicants to treat before yours so you need to wait untill get to your turn . What you should be worry of is the out come and that why you need to use this time as you are waiting put everything in prayer to work out in your favour

Reactions: Bornwinnerborn2win

Ayeni babajide

Star Member
Apr 15, 2019
Because everyone are not the same and also treat by different vo so yours might landed on the desk of vo that have so many applicants to treat before yours so you need to wait untill get to your turn . What you should be worry of is the out come and that why you need to use this time as you are waiting put everything in prayer to work out in your favour
There is no consistency with their approach. You should have a particular approach not this unbalanced approach

Reactions: Omofar and Evankc

Cemaks

May 30, 2019
Please I need your advise.
I completed my MSC in 2011. I decided to do an MBA in Canada and the MSC was one of the conditions for giving me the MBA admission. I have work experience of over 10 years in banking industry. I have also made a school fees part payment of $7,900 CAD. I am over 35 years marrried with children. My sponsor is my spouse who has N14m in a fixed deposit which both of us has been saving for some years now. The account is my spouse name but we are both signatories to the account. I will also submit my evidence of employment for these years with a bank statement too. I was denied a student visa to U.K. in 2006 but I got admission in Nigeria for same courses and have completed the MSC since 2011. Do I stand the chance of getting a study permit?

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please I need your advise.
I completed my MSC in 2011. I decided to do an MBA in Canada and the MSC was one of the conditions for giving me the MBA admission. I have work experience of over 10 years in banking industry. I have also made a school fees part payment of $7,900 CAD. I am over 35 years marrried with children. My sponsor is my spouse who has N14m in a fixed deposit which both of us has been saving for some years now. The account is my spouse name but we are both signatories to the account. I will also submit my evidence of employment for these years with a bank statement too. I was denied a student visa to U.K. in 2006 but I got admission in Nigeria for same courses and have completed the MSC since 2011. Do I stand the chance of getting a study permit?
Why don't you apply for the Express Entry, you are better off doing that based on your profile.

All the best.

Omofar

Reactions: FNO

IamLoved

Apr 27, 2019
Hello IamLoved,

Thanks for visiting this thread. At face-value, I think you look like a good candidate. So lets dig deeper, shall we?

You have a good demography in terms of your age. I also think the fact that you were able to secure a Masters degree at the University of Ottawa shows a clear purpose. You have paid half of your tuition already demonstrating ability to fund your studies. Though I would have preferred you paid up for a whole session, but that is not a deal breaker anyway. You have a good amount of travel history that will work in your favour. So here I will score you an A+...While it might be risky for you, you have to mention the fact that you have a sister who is a PR in Canada. Please do not lie or withhold information from the embassy. The fact that you have been to Canada before will show somewhere in their data base that you have a sister living in Canada.

I do not see much of a problem with respect to this. Infact you have clearly explained what you have been doing since you graduated from the University. All you need to do is to eloquently explain this again in your SOP and you should be fine. Show the certificate you obtained from the culinary school, show some of the cakes you have baked, if you had a registered business, show how people paid you when you took orders etc. Show the letter of employment from your current job, get a reference letter from the consulting firm you work now, perhaps they may assist you by saying they will be happy to take you back upon your return home, and how much the international knowledge and exposure you have gained will add value to the company. You can also write in your own SOP how you intend to return home to work for a few years with your current employer with a view to starting your own consulting firm in future. You plan to assist small companies and local governments collect and analyse important business and environmental data that can be used for formulation of policy and initiatives that will be of benefit to the community.

With respect to funding you might have a small issue here, since your dad is not the sole owner of the company. But it is not the end of the world. There are two ways to go about it.

I would personally prefer if your dad, shows the funds in his account, that is just straight forward, and makes things easier. If not, then the company will have to write a letter of sponsorship in your favour. The company directors should sign it. They must justify why they would spend so much of the company's funds on a director's child. They can say that as part of company policy, each director is entitled to send one of their children to study overseas for post-graduate studies to the tune of x amount (just put the total amount required for your entire stay in Canada there).

VOs are not too interested in physical properties, liquid cash is more convincing that land, car, or house. Those are only important to show that you have intention to return to your country and cannot abandon such valuables, but they are not a good proof that you can pay for your tuition, so don't bother about that.

So if you arrange your application properly, you should get your study permit no problem.

Let's know how it goes.

Wish you all the best.

Omofar
Thanks a lot for addressing all of my concerns. You have been very helpful. Please can i send you my SOP for review if you dont mind :). Thank you

Romeo34

Jun 2, 2019
Pls, I applied for a student permit. These are my details
I'm 21 with no travel history currently done with Nysc. Studied comp sci
Got accepted to a college in Canada for a database developer course
Fully paid my sch fees for a year
My uncle is the sponsor who is a lawyer
Now he only gave me his bank statement (which is a usd acct)and a letter of sponsorsip with his identification. I just want to know if I'm on the right track

babsin02

Jun 3, 2019
LANDED..........
11-05-2023
The PDF containing the "instructions for Lagos Visa office". Am I supposed to print the whole form cos it contains the study permit questionnaire?
Also during the online application, I got an error message trying to upload the study permit application form. The error message said, "this version of the form is no longer accepted".

Naidevasser

May 7, 2019
Hello I applied for study permit on March and this is the email the embassy sent me
Good day
Thanks for your correspondence,
Please be informed that we are experiencing a technical hitch. Your response will be sent in the coming days.
Hoping that the information above is satisfactory.
For how long should I still wait for an update?

7fifty

Mar 22, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Asking on behalf of my brother. His employer is sponsoring him for Masters degree program.Total tuition is about $36,000. He just got denied for the reasons below. He has about $7000 in his personal account and the sponsor has over $50,000 in the company account. Tuition was not paid but $500 was paid to accept admission that goes towards the tuition. He wants to reapply, what can he do so that he won't be refused again?

Also, as his sister, can I support his application with my Canadian accounts as backup? Will this cause any harm?

Thanks

• Pursuant to paragraph 220(a) of the IRPA, I am not satisfied that you have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to pay the tuition fees for the course or program of studies that you intend to pursue.
• Pursuant to paragraph 220(b) of the IRPA, I am not satisfied that you have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to maintain yourself and any family members who are accompanying you during your proposed period of study.
• Pursuant to paragraph 220(c) of the IRPA, I am not satisfied that you have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to pay the cost of transporting yourself and any family members who are accompanying you to and from Canada

Blema

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
Hi, I’m Blessing from Nigeria. I just got admission into University of Windsor with $16,000 funding for my LLM. I graduated with 4.37/5 from Unilag. I’m to resume by fall 2019.
I have a brother who’s in US that is willing to pay the remaining part of the fees and my parents for the living expenses. My field is on corporate governance and I have been working at a law firm and pursing a professional course. The pay of the law firm is 40k monthly but I’m to resume another in July for 150k I’m 23 years old.

Just want to know the documents I need to submit and what I need to get the visa.

Please help.