+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

sillysassysally

Mar 7, 2019
Okay thanks...

By the way, I have just found two people from India that were able to get their permit with PF loans... But i guess that's not comparable since its India.
What do you think is the best way a candidate can present a sponsor who isn't related to them by blood? Is there any hope?

Is Prodigy loans based in Nigeria, if the organisation is based in Canada, then you may still have a problem of not showing to the VO that you are able to fund your studies without assistance. I know people who had funding from their supervisors in Canada (scholarship) and they were still rejected due to inability to fund their studies. In my mind if you have full scholarship, one would expect that there is no need to show considerable amount in the bank statement. However, it is a procedural thing, it is a check list, and it appears that if the funding is not shown to be from your home country you will not get the visa despite your having secured a loan or scholarship. In this case, I do not have experience with loan companies and how Canadian VOs view them, so I am unable to give factual advise here. I would say you should still give it a go and lets hope for the best.

You are right about the additional networking benefits that come with going to Ivy-league -like schools, Nevertheless there are no guarantees in life, one must also learn to be flexible and adaptable. So while your ultimate goal may not change, your route to getting there can be modified to accommodate your current position. Reflect on this.

All the best.

Omofar.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you did not declare the refusal, that will have a negative impact. It is misrepresentation.
Hello russ6970,

You cannot say it is misrepresentation. He said he had put his study permit application before applying for the US visa.. So he could not declare it if he had not applied prior to applying for his study permit.

Cheers.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okay thanks...

By the way, I have just found two people from India that were able to get their permit with PF loans... But i guess that's not comparable since its India.
What do you think is the best way a candidate can present a sponsor who isn't related to them by blood? Is there any hope?
Hello sillysassysally,

Its not really hard. In your case, I have seen several sponsors. Thank Goodness you are financial person, so do a spread sheet of the total amount so far, and what each of your sponsors are contributing. That includes You, Momsy, Receipt from the deposit you have paid already to McGill, McGill's scholarship letter, and the final part is whoever wants to contribute the remaining $20,000 (I would suggest not Prodigy loans). So let us say it is an Uncle, distant relative, family friend etc. All third party sponsors outlined above must be ready to do the following

1) Write a letter of undertaking to support your education by xxx amount. They must justify why they are willing to invest in your education by establishing that you have a long term relationship with you, and they are interested in seeing you achieve your full potential in life.

2) Show their bank statements for amounts much more (at least 50% more ) than they will be assisting with.

3) They must be ready to demonstrate verifiable source of income, bank statement is not just sufficient

4) They must be willing to show tax clearance whether they are in paid employment or in business

5) If they are in business they must show the proof of registration of their business with CAC.

In summary they must demonstrate vested interest in the pursuit of your studies. This will show to the VO that they are indeed willing to foot the bill.
Please note there are no guarantees, I am just letting you know what you can do.

Now to other matters, what kind of financial institution is prodigy loans that they can just issue loans to someone they do not know(KYC). That does not sound like following prudential guidelines set out within the financial institutions, you don't even have a credit history. I'd be suspicious of such as organisation and look closely to their terms and conditions, so that you don't get yourself into serious debts. Its just a suggestion.

All the best.

Omofar.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Hello russ6970,

You cannot say it is misrepresentation. He said he had put his study permit application before applying for the US visa.. So he could not declare it if he had not applied prior to applying for his study permit.

Cheers.

Omofar
I must have missed that he said that. Yes if he applied for it after it's not misrepresentation for the study permit if he applied for it before.

Reactions: Omofar

Olad_queen

Oct 23, 2018
Hello Omofar.

Here's my case:

Am 31,married with kids. Had an OND in Business study 2009, Intenship in 2010/2011 then start working from 2012 till date but also still on an educational programme on a DL basis which am rounding up on by April this Yr Bsc Eco and I also have a side catering and event planning business, registered for 2yrs +

I have been to UK, dubai, Kenya.

I have gotten an offer letter from a Canadian college to study culinary management 2yrs sept19 intake. I have N3M plus on my balance, my husband as a sponsor with N5M, Land doc and lease property doc that generates Income on a yrly basis and his also a salary earner of about N200k monthly.

My Question:
With my long talk up... what's my chance with the VO?

The college asking for a session pay which is around N5M. Looking at our balances up, if I pay, 'll my N3M as upkeep and the property doc get me Visa?

Since my offer is for a diploma course, will i need to mention in my SOP that am on a Degree program? And do i need to provide transcript for my OND?

Lastly; resumption is Sept, do you think I still have chance of getting visa before college resumes if I apply by april?

Thanks.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Omofar.

Here's my case:

Am 31,married with kids. Had an OND in Business study 2009, Intenship in 2010/2011 then start working from 2012 till date but also still on an educational programme on a DL basis which am rounding up on by April this Yr Bsc Eco and I also have a side catering and event planning business, registered for 2yrs +

I have been to UK, dubai, Kenya.

I have gotten an offer letter from a Canadian college to study culinary management 2yrs sept19 intake. I have N3M plus on my balance, my husband as a sponsor with N5M, Land doc and lease property doc that generates Income on a yrly basis and his also a salary earner of about N200k monthly.

My Question:
With my long talk up... what's my chance with the VO?

The college asking for a session pay which is around N5M. Looking at our balances up, if I pay, 'll my N3M as upkeep and the property doc get me Visa?

Since my offer is for a diploma course, will i need to mention in my SOP that am on a Degree program? And do i need to provide transcript for my OND?

Lastly; resumption is Sept, do you think I still have chance of getting visa before college resumes if I apply by april?

Thanks.

Hello Olad_queen,

It looks likes you have a good profile to get you a study permit. I would say rather than a Diploma, I would advice you try to pursue an advanced diploma or a graduate diploma in the same field, since you are already doing business in that area, and your husband will be sponsoring you. If you need more details, please PM me.

All the best.

Omofar

Last edited:

Debola_o

Mar 10, 2019
Greetings!

If you are interested in hearing the truth, and still ready to proceed despite the challenges, you are welcome here. If you want to be pampered, please go elsewhere.

I am here offer advise to anyone who is Nigerian and needs assistance in navigating the dangerous waters of Canadian study permit application. Identify what the problem might be and how to possibly over come them.

It would be better to come here before you apply, rather than after you have applied, it might be too late to assist you then. Also, never rush to put in an application, if you are rejected once, your chances of being rejected a second time increases by about 60-70%.

Looking forward to assisting anyone with question here.

You are welcome.

Cheers

Debola_o

Mar 10, 2019
Hi
I did an upfront medical examination at IOM hospital which is part of the listed hospital for study permit for Canada last month January 30th
I applied for my visa 1st week of February online and submitted the copy of my medical sheet
I just got a mail with medical examination instructions with the attached IMM1017E form.
I contacted the hospital and was informed that they have posted it on the portal and that it can be found via my UMI number.

How do I go about this
Or how do I contact IRCC
I have filled the web form
Sent a mail but no response

Please help

Debola_o

Mar 10, 2019
Greetings!

If you are interested in hearing the truth, and still ready to proceed despite the challenges, you are welcome here. If you want to be pampered, please go elsewhere.

I am here offer advise to anyone who is Nigerian and needs assistance in navigating the dangerous waters of Canadian study permit application. Identify what the problem might be and how to possibly over come them.

It would be better to come here before you apply, rather than after you have applied, it might be too late to assist you then. Also, never rush to put in an application, if you are rejected once, your chances of being rejected a second time increases by about 60-70%.

Looking forward to assisting anyone with question here.

You are welcome.

Cheers
Hi omofar,
Here’s my case:

I did an upfront medical examination at IOM hospital which is part of the listed hospital for study permit for Canada last month January 30th
I applied for my visa 1st week of February online and submitted the copy of my medical sheet
I just got a mail with medical examination instructions with the attached IMM1017E form.
I contacted the hospital and was informed that they have posted it on the portal and that it can be found via my UMI number.
So what should I do about the medical instruction
How do I contact IRCC
What should I do

Olad_queen

Oct 23, 2018
Thanks for your attention, but can you be more explicit with your response to my questions?

And on me considering a graduate diploma instead of diploma: I don't ve any academic cook training cert to apply for that.
Hello Olad_queen,

It looks likes you have a goo profile to get you a study permit. I would say rather than a Diploma, I would advice you try to pursue an advanced diploma or a graduate diploma in the same field, since you are already doing business in that area, and your husband will be sponsoring you. If you need more details, please PM me.

All the best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi omofar,
Here’s my case:

How do I contact IRCC
What should I do
Hello Debola_o,

Thanks for visiting!

It looks to me that you are on your way to getting your study permit. So I will suggest you calm down.

Now I am sure that IOM must have issued you a proof/receipt, a one-pager-slip with your passport photo on it signifying that you have already done your medicals. It is most likely that you did not upload the document on your CIC portal. So you have reply the mail you got and attach the document to it, and telling them to kindly refer to the attachment for the reference number or just go back to your online profile with the cic and check that there is room for you to upload the document now.

Let's know how it goes.

All the best.

Omofar

Olad_queen

Oct 23, 2018
Hi

How do I go about this
Or how do I contact IRCC
I have filled the web form
Sent a mail but no response

Please help
Debola, plz which of the IOM did you use; lagos or Abuja? If it's lagos, kindly share their contact if u have. I need to book an appointment, i already call Q life family clinic but they said no slot until may. Do you know if I can get it done at IOM anytime soon or they operate on same schedule?
Hi omofar,
Here’s my case:

How do I contact IRCC
What should I do

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Debola, plz which of the IOM did you use; lagos or Abuja? If it's lagos, kindly share their contact if u have. I need to book an appointment, i already call Q life family clinic but they said no slot until may. Do you know if I can get it done at IOM anytime soon or they operate on same schedule?

Mail them here,

iomlagosmedicalbooking@iom.int.

They will respond by Monday.

All the best.

Omofar

Reactions: Yejide1971

Oemmy1

Mar 7, 2019
Yhello Oemmy1,

Thanks for visiting. As you know Canadian visa can take forever, so here is my advice to you. Go for the US interview, do your best get the U.S visa. Then if you can, travel to the U.S for 2 weeks and come back, then apply for your Canadian study permit. That in itself has helped you address some of the issues raised about how you would behave with your Canadian study permit.

You need to be able to demonstrate in a compelling manner that you have strong intentions to return to Nigeria.

All the best.

Omofar
Thanks so much...
I will like to chat you in camera .