+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Murad1629

Jan 11, 2021
What is your profile? Past education.

- If you are 30, you should be funding your studies, not your brother. It seems you didn't provide documentation on the finances. Don't believe you can afford it. Can you personally afford it?
-Why do you need to take a Women and Gender studies program? What better career will it give you in your country after spending tens of thousands of dollars. Women and Gender studies is a generic program.
- What was your past education? They don't believe your complete studies.
- No travel history so they don't know if you will return home.
- What are your close family ties.
Thank for your reply brother

- I have bachelor's degree in Public Health. I have been working as public Health Officer in Government Organization for four years. Then I have been working in NGOs Health a Officer and Recently as Gender Officer also in NGOs.

- I can't afford it but my brother can sponsor me and I am planning to pay Semester tuition.
- Since I have been working as Gender Officer in NGOs for more than two years and I have letter of study approval from my company.
- with Bsc in Public health and Gender and women studies I can have promotion opportunity in my organization I am working right now.
- I have land property and I am married man .

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

- I have bachelor's degree in Public Health. I have been working as public Health Officer in Government Organization for four years. Then I have been working in NGOs Health a Officer and Recently as Gender Officer also in NGOs.

- I can't afford it but my brother can sponsor me and I am planning to pay Semester tuition.
- Since I have been working as Gender Officer in NGOs for more than two years and I have letter of study approval from my company.
- with Bsc in Public health and Gender and women studies I can have promotion opportunity in my organization I am working right now.
So officers were correct in assessment that you can't afford your studies. You are 30 years old so you should be showing the funds. If you have a BSc in Public Health (officers don't believe you) then why are you taking a 3 year Gender Studies program. This doesn't advance your education (should be taking a Masters in Public Health) or is related to your career in public health. Gender studies curriculum will not be focusing on public health. Property is not considered liquid funds. What is this letter of approval? Is your company paying for tuition. Will you be getting a higher paying job to justify costs of studying.

Murad1629

Jan 11, 2021
So officers were correct in assessment that you can't afford your studies. You are 30 years old so you should be showing the funds. If you have a BSc in Public Health (officers don't believe you) then why are you taking a 3 year Gender Studies program. This doesn't advance your education (should be taking a Masters in Public Health) or is related to your career in public health. Gender studies curriculum will not be focusing on public health. Property is not considered liquid funds. What is this letter of approval? Is your company paying for tuition. Will you be getting a higher paying job to justify costs of studying.
I have gift of deeds from my brother and the money is in my account. I meant letter for approval of study leave from my company. I will have promotion and higher paying jobs in the organization

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have gift of deeds from my brother and the money is in my account. I meant letter for approval of study leave application from my company. I
A study leave is of no benefit unless your employer is offering you a promotion with significantly higher pay to justify costs of study. How much money are you showing to study. How much do you have personally? How much are the gift deeds?

Murad1629

Jan 11, 2021
A study leave is of no benefit unless your employer is offering you a promotion with significantly higher pay to justify costs of study. How much money are you showing to study. How much do you have personally? How much are the gift deeds?
I am showing 33,000 CAD. I have no much recently I bought a land. The company promised me to give me the promotion when finish my studies come back.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am showing 33,000 CAD. I have no much recently I bought a land. The company promised me to give me the promotion when finish my studies come back.
Have you paid first year tuition? What is the total cost of the program/tuition? Will the cost of the program be a return on investment with a higher salary. VOs don't believe it will. You have to show that. Eg. I make $xx now but with my new promotion I will make $xx more per year. This justifies the cost of studies of $xx.

Honestly an undergrad program makes no sense. It is not advancing your education. So apply to a Master in Public Health. Not advancing your career either.

Murad1629

Jan 11, 2021
Have you paid first year tuition? What is the total cost of the program/tuition? Will the cost of the program be a return on investment with a higher salary. VOs don't believe it will. You have to show that. Eg. I make $xx now but with my new promotion I will make $xx more per year. This justifies the cost of studies of $xx.
I have not paid then but now I will Pay when I apply for study permit the second time. The total cost of tuition is 10000 CAD per year.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018

After getting a BSc already, it will be very hard to convince anybody that you want another BSc for promotion. If you apply with the same program, you will likely be rejected again.

It will be much easier, as @Naturgrl mentioned, that you should be going for a Masters degree.

Are there any Masters in Gender Studies programs (I know there are Masters in Public Health programs)? Why don't you apply in those?

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have not paid then but now I will Pay when I apply for study permit the second time. The total cost of tuition is 10000 CAD per year.
If you haven't paid tuition then that is a big issue. So total costs are about $70k. How will you afford another $30-40k in costs? Again I don't think the undergrad program is relevant at all. Masters is your best choice.

Murad1629

Jan 11, 2021
The program is two year program since I was admitted as second degree program. Does changing my program now is acceptable?

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
The program is two year program since I was admitted as second degree program. Does changing my program now is acceptable?
Yes, if you can show admission to a good Masters program at a good university, your chances of approval are much higher.

Although you might have to explain why you were so adamant on applying for BSc previously :p

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Changing your program is acceptable because GCMS notes state that the current program doesn't expand on your education nor give you career advancement. If a Masters, you will want to show more funds other than a brother's funds. All the best.

BekkyO

Sep 26, 2020
Hello i am a PR of Canada, is it possible to be the sponsor for my younger brothers PGD. For the purpose of his Visa Application, i hope to attach my bank statements and also my parents. Has that been successful in the past? Thank you

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hello i am a PR of Canada, is it possible to be the sponsor for my younger brothers PGD. For the purpose of his Visa Application, i hope to attach my bank statements and also my parents. Has that been successful in the past? Thank you
It should be possible I suppose. It all depends on how convincing is your brother's application to study in Canada.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
You can but your brothet needs to overcome question of “family ties in Canada” among others. It is possible depending on his profile and other supporting document