fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Some of the information posted earlier is not accurate except perhaps by @ canuck_in_uk, which is spot on.

Firstly, i am exactly from this situation, had a work permit, SOWP, had 3 kids (two under 6) and one 6+ school going, so i know first hand what i am talking about.

Although you might be okay to apply for study permit latter after reaching Canada and could do so on a TRV, it doesn't make any sense. Why would you apply twice, pay fee twice and waste time as well?

I don't know which visa office you are from, but at least in my case, i have clearly seen it written children aged 6+ (but school going i.e. not over 18) need an "Open study permit". Which means you apply using the standard study permit forms and just write "Not applicable" in details of school. Even in columns of funds available, my company's lawyer advised me to put my annual salary offered in Canada (i am on a work permit so its different for a study permit candidate).

So you do NOT NEED to contact any school board or any thing before going.

Besides i have at least seen one example in which visa office returned the application saying, "your child is school going 6+, you should instead apply for Open study permit" (they had applied for TRV instead).

Dependents of temp workers / students study free of cost in public education system of Canada. You would be eligible for the same schooling rights as any other Canadian.

There are some exceptions / restrictions for Quebec in which case you also need a CAQ for study since you also need a CAQ for work too.

You never get a Study permit if you haven't applied for it. However, when you apply for a study permit, you fill form for temp resident visa too (It is included in the mandatory docs).

The reason is that visa is authorization to travel to and from the country (unless you are visa exempted) and stamped on your passport.

Where as study or work permit, is a printed colored document, separate from passport. Basically when you apply to embassy for work / study permit, you receive a "Letter of introduction" which basically is approval for study / work. The actual work / study permit is issued at the port of entry (printed paper) that is often advised to staple with the passport, but still is a different document. Also embassy would stamp your passport with a (temp resident) visa when they return approved application to you.

In case of a trv application only, all you get is stamped visa on passport.

Strictly speaking, for children under 6 (not school going), apply for trv. For children 6+ and school going, apply for Open Study permit. It is that clear.

Children who entered canada when they were under 6 on trvs, DO NOT NEED study permit latter when they turn 6, nor do they pay any fee in public schools.

Reactions: Chinaemezu

rrrrbradley

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2016
First hand info, there is nothing better than that!

I've read the post and the links posted by canuck_in_uk and they're very similar to what fks is explaining carefully.

According to that (and correct me if I'm wrong) not only post graduate students may enroll their kids into the public school system for free.

I have a friend who is in a similar situation but willing to undertake an undergraduate certificate ( 1 year long ).

Will his 9 years old son be able to study for free?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
rrrrbradley said:
First hand info, there is nothing better than that!

I've read the post and the links posted by canuck_in_uk and they're very similar to what fks is explaining carefully.

According to that (and correct me if I'm wrong) not only post graduate students may enroll their kids into the public school system for free.

I have a friend who is in a similar situation but willing to undertake an undergraduate certificate ( 1 year long ).

Will his 9 years old son be able to study for free?
Sure, if you need more references i am sure i can google up the exact conditions too.

The requirement doesn't exactly mention post graduate or undergrad at all. It is more like "admitted to canada for more than a year's program which is full time". In terms of interpretation, if it is a part time program, or at a college or some short term course, you are not at all eligible to bring in your family (kids and spouse along).

However, if you are applying at a public university for say a full time degree of say 4 years (and got a visa for 2-3 years initially at least), you shouldn't have any issues.

But keep in mind that being on student visa and since you do not have a confirmed job or secure means of earnings in Canada, proof of available funds becomes all the more important in order to qualify.

If i remember correctly it was something like 11-12k living expense for principal applicant (except tuition fee) for a year, and additional 5-6k per additional family member for a year.

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
canuck_in_uk said:
I'll try to clear up a few things.

First, a minor child already in Canada with a parent who holds a work or study permit is allowed to study without a study permit. See here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=488&t=15

Generally, minor children need to apply for a study permit from outside of Canada, if they want to go to study in Canada. However, a minor child can go to school without a study permit if:

one parent (biological or adoptive) is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident; or
one parent (biological or adoptive) is permitted to study or work in Canada; or
neither parent is physically in Canada

Second, a minor child accompanying a parent with a work or study permit does not require an letter of acceptance. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp

There is one exception to this requirement: Minor children who are accompanying a family member who has applied and been approved for a work or study permit before entering Canada do not need to provide a letter of acceptance from an educational institution.
That is correct! I have the same problem weeks ago. I applied for SP, OWP for husband and TRV for my 6yo daughter as advised by our consultant on the basis mentioned above. We have received our medical request already.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
frustratedcanadian said:
That is correct! I have the same problem weeks ago. I applied for SP, OWP for husband and TRV for my 6yo daughter as advised by our consultant on the basis mentioned above. We have received our medical request already.
That's fine. Your daughter will enter Canada on the TRV, and once inside Canada, she will not require a study permit to go to school, as per that first link I posted. Proof of your status as a student and her birth certificate will be sufficient for the school to enroll her.

rrrrbradley

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2016
Hi canuck_in_uk! So, what do you think is the best option for my 8 years old daughter?:

- To request a TRV and register her at school without the Study Permit.
- To request an Open Study Permit before entry, by writing N/A in the school name.

juwonie

Sep 16, 2013
If you intend to go through the paper route, the option available to
your school age child is, open study permit, that of course do not
require you to have an acceptance letter. But if you go via online
route, your checklist will request for an acceptance letter. You must
upload this otherwise you can get to the next stage. So the choice is
yours to either write a letter as someone had advised or get your LOA
from sch board.

rrrrbradley

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2016
canuck_in_uk said:
First, a minor child already in Canada with a parent who holds a work or study permit is allowed to study without a study permit. See here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=488&t=15

... Second, a minor child accompanying a parent with a work or study permit does not require an letter of acceptance. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp

There is one exception to this requirement: Minor children who are accompanying a family member who has applied and been approved for a work or study permit before entering Canada do not need to provide a letter of acceptance from an educational institution.

According to these links posted by canuck_in_uk there is no need to have a Letter of Acceptance from any school.

My question is what's is the best path to take?

- To request an Open Study Permit before entry, by writing N/A in the school name.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
rrrrbradley said:
According to these links posted by canuck_in_uk there is no need to have a Letter of Acceptance from any school.

My question is what's is the best path to take?

It's up to you. If you want to cover all your bases, apply for the study permit. In place of a Letter of Acceptance from a school, include your own letter explaining the situation.

rrrrbradley

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2016
canuck_in_uk said:
It's up to you. If you want to cover all your bases, apply for the study permit. In place of a Letter of Acceptance from a school, include your own letter explaining the situation.
Thanks a lot! I'll write the letter explaining the situation.

juwonie

Sep 16, 2013
Pls
read this qoute well which is posted in the link by Canuck_in_uk.
"There is one exception to this requirement: minor children who are
accompanying a family member who HAS APPLIED AND HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR A
WORK OR STUDY PERMIT BEFORE ENTERING CANADA DO NOT NEED TO PROVIDE A
LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE from an educational institution"
The question is, have you applied and your study permit approved ? If
yes, then your child does not need a letter.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
juwonie said:
Pls
read this qoute well which is posted in the link by Canuck_in_uk.
"There is one exception to this requirement: minor children who are
accompanying a family member who HAS APPLIED AND HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR A
WORK OR STUDY PERMIT BEFORE ENTERING CANADA DO NOT NEED TO PROVIDE A
LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE from an educational institution"
The question is, have you applied and your study permit approved ? If
yes, then your child does not need a letter.
The family is applying together. CIC will first look at the main applicant; only after his study permit is approved will CIC then look at the dependents' applications.

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
canuck_in_uk said:
The family is applying together. CIC will first look at the main applicant; only after his study permit is approved will CIC then look at the dependents' applications.
Did you go for this path as well?

deargupt

Feb 13, 2014
Thanks fkl and canuck_in_uk . It is clear now that it is advisable to apply for open study permit for school going kids and there is no need of contacting school before landing.

However, in my scenario, I applied TRV for my kid aged 8 and study application has already been approved and medicals are requested. VO did not advice on applying for kid's study permit even though I had explicitly asked this question in letter of explanation. Now, I don't see any point in applying for kid's study permit . Also, I understand that after landing in Canada, my study permit , kids passport, address proof and birth certificate should be sufficient to enrol in school. There will not be any requirement of applying for study permit in Canada. I also plan to confirm this with Admissions and Assessment Office at Kingsland Centre in Calgary which takes care of international admissions for schools.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
deargupt said:
Thanks fkl and canuck_in_uk . It is clear now that it is advisable to apply for open study permit for school going kids and there is no need of contacting school before landing.

However, in my scenario, I applied TRV for my kid aged 8 and study application has already been approved and medicals are requested. VO did not advice on applying for kid's study permit even though I had explicitly asked this question in letter of explanation. Now, I don't see any point in applying for kid's study permit . Also, I understand that after landing in Canada, my study permit , kids passport, address proof and birth certificate should be sufficient to enrol in school. There will not be any requirement of applying for study permit in Canada. I also plan to confirm this with Admissions and Assessment Office at Kingsland Centre in Calgary which takes care of international admissions for schools.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
You are most welcome.

I don't think that visa officer would advise this on their own. They would just take the forms you submitted (which i believe were of trv for your daughter).

Sure, at this point it doesn't make any sense to worry about applying for study permit.

Regarding your last question, i hope it works out. But i am not absolutely positive.

As far as i remember the official wording, you kids won't need Open study permit to get into school if they entered Canada before the age of 6 and were on trv then and now grew up to the age where they would be school going.

I guess it depends upon the school board if they would let you through at that time. Else if really needed, you can still check and apply for study permit at that time in the worst case.

It was CERTAINLY the right choice to APPLY FOR Open study permit. But since you haven't you might still get away with that. At any rate, you shouldn't do any thing now before landing in Canada.

Here is quoting some precise text, that i used when i was applying:

"Eligibility

These are the study permit requirements for children who are accompanying a parent(s) or legal guardian(s) who will study or work temporarily in Canada:

Pre-school/Kindergarten: no study permit required.
Primary and secondary school (age 6-18): open study permit required. You do not require an acceptance letter from the child’s school in Canada. Please note: children accompanying parents who are visitors in Canada (ie. they do not have a study or work permit) are not eligible for an open study permit.
University and college (age 18-22): study permit required. Follow the standard process to apply for a study permit. The application for the child’s study permit should be made on a separate form from the parent’s application.
Studying in Quebec: In addition to the standard requirements, minor applicants destined for Quebec will need a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (Certificate of Acceptance or CAQ) from the Government of Quebec. For more information on how to apply for a CAQ visit the immigration website of the Government of Quebec."

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/pakistan/visas/minors-mineurs.aspx