Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2016
Hi, I am applying for a study permit to do a master program in Canada. In the same application, my wife is applying for an open work permit and my daughter for a study permit. Right now she is in 3rd grade.

After the questionnaire, the checklist is requiring a Letter of Acceptance from a School for my daughter’s application.

Is this a mistake or do I really need to submit it?

How am I going to know which school I am going to choose if I don’t even know where I am going to live?

Please help! I am running out of time...

Thanks a lot!
Bradley

mawcanada

Jan 22, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had the same case, instead of the acceptance letter you write a letter explaining what you just said. I did that for my application and still waiting for the visa.

juwonie

Sep 16, 2013
What you need to do is, contact the school board having jurisdiction
over the place you will be schooling. They might charge you a small fee
for the acceptance letter. In Saskatchewan province, the charge is $250,
I don't know about others. Do not worry about the address the letter
will carry, they will fix it. And you can always change it when you get
to Canada. Cheers

rrrrbradley

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2016
Thank you guys for your help!

Juwonie, do you think my daughter will be able to study for free in the public school system? What have you heard about it?

I couldn't find any information about going to Canada as student with elementary school-aged children.

Thanks again!

juwonie

Sep 16, 2013
The tuition is free for public school once you have Study permit &
Acceptance letter. They will request for the above mentioned for
verification purpose. @ Regina, to be precise, the tuition is around
$11,000 per year, but you won't pay once you have the above. Your child
can change school if you do not like the one on her letter.

juwonie

Sep 16, 2013
Speaking of not finding information about your dependent child schooling
in Canada, you need to read your study permit guide well, the
information is there. Cheers.

rrrrbradley

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2016
Thanks juwonie!

Your info is really helpful!

I'm sorry, but I don't have any study permit guide, where can I find it?

deargupt

Feb 13, 2014
Hi , I am in the same situation like you. I am going for masters with wife and 8 years old daughter. After discussion with a couple of people, I applied for study permit of mine and TRV for both wife and daughter ( total fees 350 CAD ). The understanding was that study permit for kid will be either issued at POE or can be issued by school in jurisdiction. In any case, it is not a big problem if my study permit is in order. Also, while applying for TRV for kid, in letter of explanation I had mentioned to VO that if study permit is needed, than he should let me know. I did not get any objection/comment and my application has moved to medical stage. Just to be on safer side, once I have the LOA in hand, I plan to get in touch with school for any formalities. I know the school because I plan to be in University housing.

I might be wrong so please check at your end as well. This is what I have done.

rrrrbradley

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2016
Hi deargupt,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, it is really helpful.

I was considering this path just a couple of hours ago and it actually has sense.

I'm really concerned about my daughter's tuition, there are contradictions in the information I've found.

Do you know if it's free or I must pay for that in the public school system?

Thanks again!

rrrrbradley

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2016
Sorry for asking again! I realized you responded my question in other thread. Thanks!

deargupt said:
Hi ,

I have inquired on this from Director of Instruction - International and in Victoria BC. The tuition fees for kids of international students is free if one is in masters course > 1 year.

This was the response.
Thank you for our email. It has been passed along to me for follow up and reply. With the information provided in your message, your children would not be required to pay fees as your studies will be in a Graduate Studies Program and your Study Permit good for more than one year. As such, both are fundable under Ministry of Education Guidelines.

deargupt

Feb 13, 2014
I had inquired from Director of Instruction - International and Con't Studies Victoria BC and this was his reply -

Thank you for our email. It has been passed along to me for follow up and reply. With the information provided in your message, your children would not be required to pay fees as your studies will be in a Graduate Studies Program and your Study Permit good for more than one year. As such, both are fundable under Ministry of Education Guidelines.

I also inquired for Alberta school supervisor and this was the reply -

It will be likely that your children will be funded by Alberta Education. Typically, you would need to be in a postgraduate program greater than one year in length. You would need to provide the school here with proof of payment to the U of A and your acceptance documents.

So, I am confidant that there is no fees. However , I am not very clear on if study permit for kid needs to be applied at the time of putting up application OR I apply as normal TRV and then kid's study permit will be issued at POE or may be in school. I have gone with second option but first option might also be right path to take.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I apply as normal TRV and then kid's study permit will be issued at POE or may be in school. I have gone with second option but first option might also be right path to take.
You have to apply for SP for a kid BEFORE getting to POE. If you do not apply AT VO your kid will not get SP at POE.

You are definitely confusing TWO different things :
getting Letter of Intruduction" at VO (to get SP at POE) AND getting SP at POE based on LOI from VO.
No LOI- and at POE you kid will get a visitor visa which does not allow to study in Canada.

Of course, when in Canada you may apply for SP for your kind from inside of Canada but why you need to get into such a hassle?

rrrrbradley

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2016
Thanks Regina, we need help from an expert to clarify all these questions!

Can you give my some light in how I request this Letter of Introduction?

deargupt

Feb 13, 2014
Thanks Regina. So, if I correctly got it , we should get in touch with the school board under jurisdiction where the kid will be studying and provide them our admission letter from university/fees paid to univ/other documents and request for acceptance letter. Once acceptance letter is issued by school, we use it in study permit application of kid. We would then get LOI from VO for kid ( as we would get for ourselves ) and then use this LOI + acceptance letter to receive study permit at POE. This way , the kid can start going to school immediately.

If above is correct, can you advise what to do in my situation ? I already have filed TRV for kid and received medicals. Besides, I have additional complication that I have got medicals based on admission letter in Uvic while recently I got offer from UoC. I plan to join UoC so somehow this needs to be communicated to VO.

Also, the application does now allow you to apply for second study permit in the same application. How are you filing this Bradley? Have one online id for yourselves and spouse and second online ID for study permit and then cross reference them or there is some other way?

Finally, if it is too late to rectify this mistake , then how difficult and time taking would it be to file study permit for kid from inside Canada ?
Sorry for so many questions.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'll try to clear up a few things.

First, a minor child already in Canada with a parent who holds a work or study permit is allowed to study without a study permit. See here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=488&t=15

Generally, minor children need to apply for a study permit from outside of Canada, if they want to go to study in Canada. However, a minor child can go to school without a study permit if:

one parent (biological or adoptive) is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident; or
one parent (biological or adoptive) is permitted to study or work in Canada; or
neither parent is physically in Canada

Second, a minor child accompanying a parent with a work or study permit does not require an letter of acceptance. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp

There is one exception to this requirement: Minor children who are accompanying a family member who has applied and been approved for a work or study permit before entering Canada do not need to provide a letter of acceptance from an educational institution.