Study Permit + 8 years old daughter

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rrrrbradley said:
Thanks Regina, we need help from an expert to clarify all these questions!

Can you give my some light in how I request this Letter of Introduction?
Letter of Introduction is a letter you get from VO. It is what people call "Study permit/visa" ; however, it is not an actual SP. You will get your SP only at POE providing border officer with LOI. (Usually, SP is a huge :)stamp into your passport.)

"Not applicable" in details of school. Even in columns of funds available, my company's lawyer advised me to put my annual salary offered in Canada
Well, for the name of school you may do it. But then you will be asked for LOA.and if you apply online there is no "Not Applicable" for LOA . So you need to attach something, otherwise the system will not allow to move further.

If you are a student you cannot just put any number from anywhere as funds available. You have to put there the same amount you put for yourself. I know it sounds odd but that what a student has to do applying for his/her child OSP.

If you are from a visa exempt country you could get SP for yourself and try to take your kid as it is in a hope to get OWP or at least TRV
at POE. If you are not from such a country- your application for TVR for a child will be rejected if it is obvious that your kid is going to go to school in Canada.
and
Minor children must apply for a study permit if they want to study in Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp

deargupt

Feb 13, 2014
I inquired from Calgary board of education on the requirements for enrolment of an international student's kid in school. Below is the response -

The following information is required:

1) Parent’s valid Study Permit

2) Student’s passport

3) Student’s birth certificate to demonstrate relationship between student and parent who is valid Study Permit holder.

4) Letter of acceptance issued to parent with the following specifications:

- duration of program (part or full-time, length of program of student)

- Program of study (e.g. engineering, medicine, business administration)

- Level of study (diploma or degree program, graduate of post-doctoral program)

- Proof of registration

I also inquired specifically if the study permit is required for kid at the time of enrolment and the answer was a clear NO.
Therefore, I am led to believe that even if the kid's initially filed visa was a TRV, there won't be any problem in enrolment at school.
This leads to another question that if school board does not need study permit , why and for whom is it needed ? May be study permit requirement is province dependent but I am not sure.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
deargupt said:
I inquired from Calgary board of education on the requirements for enrolment of an international student's kid in school. Below is the response -

The following information is required:

1) Parent's valid Study Permit

2) Student's passport

3) Student's birth certificate to demonstrate relationship between student and parent who is valid Study Permit holder.

4) Letter of acceptance issued to parent with the following specifications:

- duration of program (part or full-time, length of program of student)

- Program of study (e.g. engineering, medicine, business administration)

- Level of study (diploma or degree program, graduate of post-doctoral program)

- Proof of registration

I also inquired specifically if the study permit is required for kid at the time of enrolment and the answer was a clear NO.
Therefore, I am led to believe that even if the kid's initially filed visa was a TRV, there won't be any problem in enrolment at school.
This leads to another question that if school board does not need study permit , why and for whom is it needed ? May be study permit requirement is province dependent but I am not sure.
For the last part of your question, i can tell you that "Study permit" requirements are not provincial. Provincial requirements are further unique such as Quebec required a CAQ for study, to apply for "Open study permit". I applied for that (CAQ) online, and sent authorization to my employer's lawyer who collected and sent back to me. I latter submitted it along with the application for open study permit. Other provinces do not require any CAQ so in general study permit in generic to Canada. It is listed on CIC website - not on provincial government website.

Besides, i did tell you of at least one case on this forum, whose application was returned unprocessed and VO asked him to apply for Open study permit for the child.

It is good that school board told you that from Calgary. Hopefully it stays that way. I think the margin of age thing is close, so it could be on their discretion.

Regarding the why, i don't know. You would know when you land at the airport (or when you actually get to claim no fee for your child when admitted to school). I don't expect you would have any issues but theoretically speaking, CBSA could ask based upon the child's age, why you didn't apply for study permit since an 8 year old would go to school. I am not trying to scare you, nor do i think you would have any problems.

But bottom line is CIC says you should get that, so people get that. If they get away with trv (because if child was already in canada before age of 6), it is good but certainly NOT some thing to count upon.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You confuse two things. What school wants and what VO demands. For school -to accept a child- parents SP is enough. To get the right to enter Canada to study a kid must have a SP.

I am sure YOU, a parent, will not get your SP "visa" from VO till you apply for SP for a kid simultaneously.

deargupt

Feb 13, 2014
Thank you fkl and Regina. I researched further and fully agree with you that study permit is a must requirement from VO perspective. I might be able to get away with it if VO allows entry but considering the high stakes at my end , I would like to cover all bases before hand.
If the VO does not issue my 'SP' as Regina stated, I do not have even the option of applying study permit from within Canada.
At the moment, my application is only approved and medicals have been asked. I have four months in hand before travelling.
Would you suggest that I should apply for kid's study permit now from my MYCIC account and request VO to cancel my previous visitor request of kid ? I will add a letter of explanation to this effect.

fkl - any solid reason for your statement "At any rate, you shouldn't do any thing now before landing in Canada " ?
Do you see any complications with that except for the money wasted in previous visitor application ?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
deargupt said:
Thank you fkl and Regina. I researched further and fully agree with you that study permit is a must requirement from VO perspective. I might be able to get away with it if VO allows entry but considering the high stakes at my end , I would like to cover all bases before hand.
If the VO does not issue my 'SP' as Regina stated, I do not have even the option of applying study permit from within Canada.
At the moment, my application is only approved and medicals have been asked. I have four months in hand before travelling.
Would you suggest that I should apply for kid's study permit now from my MYCIC account and request VO to cancel my previous visitor request of kid ? I will add a letter of explanation to this effect.

fkl - any solid reason for your statement "At any rate, you shouldn't do any thing now before landing in Canada " ?
Do you see any complications with that except for the money wasted in previous visitor application ?
I see a possible significant delay or VO making a mistake in understanding your actual intent (if you add an Open SP application now for child). This would complicate things too much. They have a ton to process. I suspect if you apply for Study permit now, they would have issues relating it to your file.

Because there often are cases with kids say 4 year old going on trv and joining school in Canada when they turn six, i doubt you would have issues with your current submission. I have heard of at least a few cases with kids aged 6+ who went on trv and got admission there. It is not clear to me if they latter applied for SP. But they could make it to Canada. So i hope you would too. But this is just a perception.

At max VO would return your file and ask you to apply again with OSP app for kid. At least status of your file will be clean then.

If i were in your shoes, i won't put an additional application at this point. Either i wait it to go through or i wait for a 'returned unprocessed situation'. Please note - returned unprocessed might delay your case a bit, but it doesn't cost you any thing. Fee is not charged. I have had application returned unprocessed TWICE for myself for some form requirements indicated incorrectly on CIC website for my visa office.

Usually it doesn't take more than a month for that and you don't get medical call.

Since you already got medicals, i STRONGLY suspect that you would get through without any issues. This is an opinion based upon personal experience.

All the best.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not know what to say now.
If VO issue you a SP and TRV for a child (which I doubt) you could either apply for a child SP or take a risk and go as it is hoping your child will be let into Canada on TRV.
So I think you better wait now and see what you get.

deargupt

Feb 13, 2014
Many thanks fkl and Regina. As medicals have been asked for my SP and kid's TRV so I assume this is the way it will go.
I will hold on to any action now and wait for visas to get issued based on my application.

Sanyasab

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
App. Filed.......
November 2016
Hello
I read your views and want to take some suggestions. I have an open work permit and also applied for pr under live in caregiver program on nov 2016. I applied my 12 years daughter's pr as well. But processing time is so long like more than four years. So i just want to know if i apply for study permit for my daughter does it works? Please suggest me. I will be really appreciate.
Thank you
Thanks fkl and canuck_in_uk . It is clear now that it is advisable to apply for open study permit for school going kids and there is no need of contacting school before landing.

However, in my scenario, I applied TRV for my kid aged 8 and study application has already been approved and medicals are requested. VO did not advice on applying for kid's study permit even though I had explicitly asked this question in letter of explanation. Now, I don't see any point in applying for kid's study permit . Also, I understand that after landing in Canada, my study permit , kids passport, address proof and birth certificate should be sufficient to enrol in school. There will not be any requirement of applying for study permit in Canada. I also plan to confirm this with Admissions and Assessment Office at Kingsland Centre in Calgary which takes care of international admissions for schools.

Please correct me if I am wrong.