+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps to export the vehicle from USA to Canada...

AkashPatel1990

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
Hi,

I am importing my car to Canada from Alexandria Bay port and will be using the Thousand Island Bridge to drive through on 25th July. I have done the following things, Please let me know if I missed anything and the Next Steps:

1. I have sent a mail to alexbayexport@cbp.dhs.gov, with the VIN, AES ITN Number, Car Description.
2. In the mail to the Custom office, I have also attached the documents Car Registration, Car Title, Recall Clearance Letter, Passport Copy and a copy of the mail that I received from CBP dhs on submitting AES form.
3. I have also mailed the Recall Clearance Letter to "recall@support.riv.ca"

Do I need to do anything else for the export and import process to go smoothly.

Thanks.

mathew_barnes

Aug 5, 2019
Hi there,

I hope I'm posting in the correct spot. My last big move was a while ago, so I have not needed to use this site.

At any rate, I just wanted to say that Harold at Golden Key Express was really helpful when I called him about transporting my car—both in terms of giving me recommendations for companies who would do my route (his company did not come as far south as Texas) and in sharing general advice about what to look out for. That's always appreciated! I would gladly use his company if they worked in my area.

For anyone who is interested, the transport companies he suggested are All-American Transfer and The Car Carrier. I'm in central Texas, going to Philadelphia. I spoke to representatives of both transport companies already. They both seemed very helpful and on the level. I am just waiting to get a third quote before making a decision.

(FYI: Coast to Coast does not do my route, either, and ProStar never answered their phone.)

Hope this is of use to someone else out there!

adigautam

Jan 3, 2016
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-12-2015
Doc's Request.
28-03-2017
Nomination.....
08-05-2017
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
IELTS Request
Awaiting
File Transfer...
Awaiting
Med's Request
Awaiting
Med's Done....
Awaiting
Interview........
Awaiting
Passport Req..
Awaiting
VISA ISSUED...
Awaiting
LANDED..........
Awaiting
Hi All,

I exported my car from Ambassador Bridge last night, but to my surprise, I was asked to pay the Air Conditioning tax at the Canada border by the CBSA. I tried to tell them as a new PR, I do not need to pay any duty and/or tax but they said everyone needs to pay the air conditioning tax.

Did anyone else pay the air conditioning tax as a new PR for their car import?

Regards,
Aditya

saddlepatch

Star Member
Oct 1, 2012
Sun City Center, Florida
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-11-2018
Doc's Request.
02-26-2019
AOR Received.
21-01-2019
Med's Request
05-02-2019
Med's Done....
08-02-2019
Passport Req..
22-03-2019
Hi All,

I exported my car from Ambassador Bridge last night, but to my surprise, I was asked to pay the Air Conditioning tax at the Canada border by the CBSA. I tried to tell them as a new PR, I do not need to pay any duty and/or tax but they said everyone needs to pay the air conditioning tax.

Did anyone else pay the air conditioning tax as a new PR for their car import?

Regards,
Aditya
How much did they make your fork out? I have not heard of this (or an A/C tax ever) at all and we will be very limited in funds. I might reconsider crossing at Ambassador and go to Blue Water.

Do you mean the Carbon tax? That wouldn't make much sense, it comes out from your annual taxes, not something you need to pay at the boarder and if they see you're a PR then they know you will be paying taxes after you land. You should be exempt from ALL taxes regarding you car import as a PR or even a citizen after a certain amount of time.

What kinda car do you have?

meetme_here

Sep 3, 2019
I was successfully export the vehicle from USA and import it in Canada. I have to give a heads up that it is a tedious task, but achievable. I am giving steps in details. Please make a note that I am providing the steps for crossing over the NewYork to Ontario. Other borders in the middle and west, there may be a slight change in the process. But 90% will remain the same.

Please read through each step. Each steps are very important. Do not miss anything. This is not an official version. I am just trying to help out people. Please do go through the official documentations which I have mentioned below.

1. The vehicle should not have any vehicle loan(lien). Basically you need to have the title in hand. If you have the loan, then you need to have the letter from the bank/institution that you are allowed to export the car and cross the border.

2. The vehicle should not have any open Recalls. All the recalls should be cleared before we export. Email your vehicle manufacturer to provide a letter stating that this car is cleared from all recalls and this car is compliant with Canadian safety and compliance standards. In case you have any open recalls, go to manufacturer, get it fixed. Then wait for one day. Contact the manufacturer again to get the recall clearance letter.

3. Once the manufacturer sends this letter, email them to RIV recall@support.riv.ca. They will confirm in a day or 2 that they have accepted the same and the car is cleared for import.

4. You can get the importers checklist by navigating to this website and provide the details of your car. riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx

5. Email the border customs office on both USA and Canada sides to get the information. It is very important to do it because they will let you know in case anything has changed.

Not every bridge allows exporting the vehicle. In NewYork state, only Queenston-Lewiston bridge allows exporting the vehicle.

6. You need to register in AES direct website and get the ITN number. The details will be mentioned in the email which the customs team send to you. It is a simple form. But since I didn’t had the time, I contacted one agent to get it done. I had to pay around 100$ to get it done. You have to provide the border crossing date when you fill in the form. If any details change, please update it before you cross the border.

7. Send the ITN number, VIN number to BUFFALOVINNYOFFICE@DHS.GOV 72 hours before crossing the border. This is very important. If it is not met, you will not be able to export the vehicle.

8. The border can be crossed only during the weekdays 8am-4pm. You have to go to Queenston Lewiston bridge on US side and look for customs office and check for Vehicle export office.

9. Give the title, ITN details, email proof etc. Please keep your legal presence proof in USA. For e.g. valid i797A document for H1B holders. They specifically asked me for my legal presence document.

10. They will put a seal in the title and will handover the title.

11. Cross the border (do not drive back to USA). Once you reach Canada side, please inform them that you are exporting the car. They will ask you to park the car near in the parking lot and carry all the documents inside the office.

12. Please visit the office, complete the landing procedures. For car export, provide them the title and copr. Fill in the FORM-1 (Auto import form for Canada). They will put a seal in Form 1 and will give it back to you. They will also give one blue color paper (invoice). Please keep these 2 documents with you. It is very important.

13. Go to RIV website, provide the number which is given in the Form 1, and make the payment. It is around 350$.

14. Once you take an apartment in Canada, you will get your lease agreement. Go to driving test office and transfer your license.

15. Take the car for Canada safety inspection and RIV inspection. Better to take appointment because of long wait period. The RIV inspection is free since you already pay directly to RIV (included in 350$). But safety inspection is something which you have to pay. In Canadian tire, it was 130$. But I was able to get it done from another shop for 60$.

16. Search for auto insurance. Get one before you register the car.

17. Once you have both the documents ready, go to Service Ontario and get the car registered. You need to give Title, Your Ontario DL, Safety clearance, Form 1, Application form, proof of insurance.

18. They will register the car and will give the new number plates.

19. Send the old number plate back to US, your state DMV. Disconnect the US insurance after this.

All official details can be found in this website.
http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx
Hi,

I will be visiting canada through air for the first time after receiving the COPR. I wanted to check that if i am planning to export my car from USA after a year on which form should i Mention it? BSF186 or BSF186A? As BSF186 has column for conveyance and BSF186A is for goods to follow. Please advice.

Thanks
Rahul

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
Hi,
Thanks for the prompt response. To confirm exporting of car later from US should be mentioned in B4 form, correct?

Thanks
Rahul
I think so. You don’t want to pay taxes on it :)

meetme_here

Sep 3, 2019
I was successfully export the vehicle from USA and import it in Canada. I have to give a heads up that it is a tedious task, but achievable. I am giving steps in details. Please make a note that I am providing the steps for crossing over the NewYork to Ontario. Other borders in the middle and west, there may be a slight change in the process. But 90% will remain the same.

Please read through each step. Each steps are very important. Do not miss anything. This is not an official version. I am just trying to help out people. Please do go through the official documentations which I have mentioned below.

1. The vehicle should not have any vehicle loan(lien). Basically you need to have the title in hand. If you have the loan, then you need to have the letter from the bank/institution that you are allowed to export the car and cross the border.

2. The vehicle should not have any open Recalls. All the recalls should be cleared before we export. Email your vehicle manufacturer to provide a letter stating that this car is cleared from all recalls and this car is compliant with Canadian safety and compliance standards. In case you have any open recalls, go to manufacturer, get it fixed. Then wait for one day. Contact the manufacturer again to get the recall clearance letter.

3. Once the manufacturer sends this letter, email them to RIV recall@support.riv.ca. They will confirm in a day or 2 that they have accepted the same and the car is cleared for import.

4. You can get the importers checklist by navigating to this website and provide the details of your car. riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx

5. Email the border customs office on both USA and Canada sides to get the information. It is very important to do it because they will let you know in case anything has changed.

Not every bridge allows exporting the vehicle. In NewYork state, only Queenston-Lewiston bridge allows exporting the vehicle.

6. You need to register in AES direct website and get the ITN number. The details will be mentioned in the email which the customs team send to you. It is a simple form. But since I didn’t had the time, I contacted one agent to get it done. I had to pay around 100$ to get it done. You have to provide the border crossing date when you fill in the form. If any details change, please update it before you cross the border.

7. Send the ITN number, VIN number to BUFFALOVINNYOFFICE@DHS.GOV 72 hours before crossing the border. This is very important. If it is not met, you will not be able to export the vehicle.

8. The border can be crossed only during the weekdays 8am-4pm. You have to go to Queenston Lewiston bridge on US side and look for customs office and check for Vehicle export office.

9. Give the title, ITN details, email proof etc. Please keep your legal presence proof in USA. For e.g. valid i797A document for H1B holders. They specifically asked me for my legal presence document.

10. They will put a seal in the title and will handover the title.

11. Cross the border (do not drive back to USA). Once you reach Canada side, please inform them that you are exporting the car. They will ask you to park the car near in the parking lot and carry all the documents inside the office.

12. Please visit the office, complete the landing procedures. For car export, provide them the title and copr. Fill in the FORM-1 (Auto import form for Canada). They will put a seal in Form 1 and will give it back to you. They will also give one blue color paper (invoice). Please keep these 2 documents with you. It is very important.

13. Go to RIV website, provide the number which is given in the Form 1, and make the payment. It is around 350$.

14. Once you take an apartment in Canada, you will get your lease agreement. Go to driving test office and transfer your license.

15. Take the car for Canada safety inspection and RIV inspection. Better to take appointment because of long wait period. The RIV inspection is free since you already pay directly to RIV (included in 350$). But safety inspection is something which you have to pay. In Canadian tire, it was 130$. But I was able to get it done from another shop for 60$.

16. Search for auto insurance. Get one before you register the car.

17. Once you have both the documents ready, go to Service Ontario and get the car registered. You need to give Title, Your Ontario DL, Safety clearance, Form 1, Application form, proof of insurance.

18. They will register the car and will give the new number plates.

19. Send the old number plate back to US, your state DMV. Disconnect the US insurance after this.

All official details can be found in this website.
http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx
Quick question.....overall how much did you pay to transport you car from usa to canada?

Johnparker

Star Member
Apr 1, 2016
I am in process to exchange the license in Ontario. I have one more car which is still in US because it is financed one. I am planing to paid it off and bring to canada. Can someone provide any good shipping company who can ship the car from US to canada ?

saddlepatch

Star Member
Oct 1, 2012
Sun City Center, Florida
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-11-2018
Doc's Request.
02-26-2019
AOR Received.
21-01-2019
Med's Request
05-02-2019
Med's Done....
08-02-2019
Passport Req..
22-03-2019
Does anyone know if it's okay to let Border know more than 72 hours prior to your arrival for export? I messaged them last week and I called and the guy told me he "Thinks that's how it works, as long as there is 72 hours or more between your notice and when you export". Can anyone confirm this?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Does anyone know if it's okay to let Border know more than 72 hours prior to your arrival for export? I messaged them last week and I called and the guy told me he "Thinks that's how it works, as long as there is 72 hours or more between your notice and when you export". Can anyone confirm this?
Yes, it's OK. Do not forget to bring with you a copy of your email and their automatic respond...

Reactions: saddlepatch

saddlepatch

Star Member
Oct 1, 2012
Sun City Center, Florida
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-11-2018
Doc's Request.
02-26-2019
AOR Received.
21-01-2019
Med's Request
05-02-2019
Med's Done....
08-02-2019
Passport Req..
22-03-2019
Yes, it's OK. Do not forget to bring with you a copy of your email and their automatic respond...
Thank you so much for confirming! It's already printed and ready to go :) I figured it was as such, but I wanted to make sure. The government can be tricky with their wording, and so specific, especially the border!