+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps after PR Card?

mindyred

Mar 5, 2024
I did a soft landing in Canada a few months ago with my COPR document. After that, I had to immediately return to my home country the next day to take care of certain things. Then later I was mailed my PR card by a family member who lives in Canada. It's valid for 5 years.

Now there is some very important stuff still pending in my home country that I need to get done, so I want to know how much max time I can spend in my country before I go back to Canada in order to keep my PR status intact.

Thanks.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did a soft landing in Canada a few months ago with my COPR document. After that, I had to immediately return to my home country the next day to take care of certain things. Then later I was mailed my PR card by a family member who lives in Canada. It's valid for 5 years.

Now there is some very important stuff still pending in my home country that I need to get done, so I want to know how much max time I can spend in my country before I go back to Canada in order to keep my PR status intact.

Thanks.
You need to be in Canada for a minimum of 730 days in each rolling 5 year window to maintain your Residency Obligation to maintain your PR status. These days do not need to be consecutive or concurrent. You could, for example, remain in your country for another couple of years (+ a bit more) and still meet the R.O., but would then suggest to remain in Canada until you've reached the 730 day mark to apply for a renewed PR Card.

Reactions: mindyred

mindyred

Mar 5, 2024
You need to be in Canada for a minimum of 730 days in each rolling 5 year window to maintain your Residency Obligation to maintain your PR status. These days do not need to be consecutive or concurrent. You could, for example, remain in your country for another couple of years (+ a bit more) and still meet the R.O., but would then suggest to remain in Canada until you've reached the 730 day mark to apply for a renewed PR Card.
Does the 5 year window start from the day I did the soft landing?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does the 5 year window start from the day I did the soft landing?
No, it start from the date you signed the PR renewal application.

Edit: Also, every time you returned to Canada, you being examined by an immigration officer of your PR status.

Last edited:

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015

Thanks.
That is very basic knowledge you should have known even before you got your permanent residency..

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But this is the first time I received a PR card so there is no renewal application.
But you will return to Canada and get examined of your status. Otherwise, you don't have to worry about the 5 year window.

mindyred

Mar 5, 2024
But you will return to Canada and get examined of your status.
I know this but I'm confused. I did the soft landing with COPR around 5 months ago. Then I came back home the next day. Then my family member received my PR card in Canada during this time which they then mailed to me in my home country.

What I need to know now is how I can find out the date from which my 5-year period began so I can figure and plan things out and calculate the date before which I need to go back to Canada. Can I do this by going backwards from the expiry date mentioned in my PR card?

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I know this but I'm confused. I did the soft landing with COPR around 5 months ago. Then I came back home the next day. Then my family member received my PR card in Canada during this time which they then mailed to me in my home country.

What I need to know now is how I can find out the date from which my 5-year period began so I can figure and plan things out and calculate the date before which I need to go back to Canada. Can I do this by going backwards from the expiry date mentioned in my PR card?
From the day you did your soft landing.

The max you can stay outside in the first 5 years of your landing is 1095 days. So less than 1095 days outside of Canada would make you still able to fullfill your RO if you return before that.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The day you landed is the day you became a PR. That's the day that matters. (Doesn't matter whether hard or soft landing)

I don't understand the rest of what you wrote. Here's the easiest way to understand it (in my opinion):

-in ANY five year period, that is, looking back five years on any day you are examined (eg at border), you are IN compliance if you have been OUT of Canada less than 1095 days.
-In this count of days outside Canada, ignore all days outside Canada before the day you became a PR.

Or if you prefer: you are in compliance if OUTSIDE Canada LESS than 1095 days from day of landing to the five year anniversary. After that five year anniversary, same numbers (outside Canada less than 1095 days) but looking back five years.

[This is same as the 730 days in each five year period most people quote but easier to calculate esp in first five years, you dont' have to include future days to calculate it - you just count days outside Canada since becoming a PR, and ignore days before becoming a PR.]

mindyred

Mar 5, 2024
Thanks for all the answers and help.

I feel I should have mentioned that I'm sponsored by my son. So do all of the above still apply in the exact same way, or is there any difference?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for all the answers and help.

I feel I should have mentioned that I'm sponsored by my son. So do all of the above still apply in the exact same way, or is there any difference?
If a senior it is even more important to be compliant with your RO and have a valid PR card. It is very difficult to secure a spot to sponsor your parents given the very high demand for a limited amount of spots. Given the amount of newcomers in the past few years the demand will likely be even higher. Without a valid PR card it is very hard or impossible to get a valid health card in some provinces. if you have not met your RO, don’t have a valid PR card and attempt to return to Canada without being reported you may have to wait for 2.5-3+ years before you have access to provincial healthcare without paying for services and be able to apply for a new healthcare. It appears as though you may have never met the residency requirement to qualify for healthcare or a health card in any province so will need to apply for a health card if you return to Canada even if you did apply for a health card and it is still valid. To qualify for a health card you must have a valid health card but also meet or have plans to meet the residency obligation to qualify for healthcare in your province.