+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Startup Visa Program Timeline

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
Hi there guys. I am an international student currently lives in Vancouver. I have applied for the SUV around 2020. I submitted the work permit application on April 2020 and until now there is no update (mind you that i was applying online and in-land). Afterward, I submitted PR application 2 months later. And until now there is no AOR only a temporary number. I have asked for a ATIP from IRCC and from the report they said: ‘’Applicant is an international student claiming Start up Visa. Sent to DN.’’ My lawyer submitted a mandamus to the court and it was dismissed recently as IRCC told the court it was late due to Covid. But given the fact that everyone in here still have some sort of a progress, I am extremely worry about my case and the thought of pull out of this program crossed my mind several times. Does this mean i got discriminated since i am an international student? Are they doubting me that i cannot do the Startup? Perhaps is something else that my lawyer is hiding? If any of you guys could shed some light into my matter. It would be extremely helpful.

PS Right now i am waiting for both application PR and WP and so far there’s no update. All the necessary documents have been sent to IRCC and still there is no update for almost 1 year and 6 months.
Can you be more objective as to why you think other SUV applicant who applied 18 months ago are at any different stage in the application than you? And where is the discrimination? That's a big accusation! You are doubting IRCC, Canadian courts, and your lawyer, but you are hoping to find answers to your specific case on this forum?

Kb4568

Oct 16, 2021
Can you be more objective as to why you think other SUV applicant who applied 18 months ago are at any different stage in the application than you? And where is the discrimination? That's a big accusation! You are doubting IRCC, Canadian courts, and your lawyer, but you are hoping to find answers to your specific case on this forum?
Am I not allowed to doubt? Inland applications processing time was 52 weeks max. I’m waiting INLAND for a simple WP that has been 1 year and 6 months already! I’m not looking for your criticism but rather to see is there anyone who has a similar case to me and how do they respond to it. As of now I’m literally at 0. No progress whatsoever. If you want to be more objective and practical. Let’s say you look up the IRCC website and it says 52 weeks. And you have been waiting for 1.5 year, without anything meanwhile your living expenses continue to rise, without a steady source of income since you’re not allowed to do anything. No update, complete silence. If you can’t help then don’t judge. You have no idea what I have been though. A person has a right to question a government integrity and question it if a cause is justifiable. In my case it is. Please tell me sir/madam, again should I doubt?

katie.vanto

Mar 23, 2021
Am I not allowed to doubt? Inland applications processing time was 52 weeks max. I’m waiting INLAND for a simple WP that has been 1 year and 6 months already! I’m not looking for your criticism but rather to see is there anyone who has a similar case to me and how do they respond to it. As of now I’m literally at 0. No progress whatsoever. If you want to be more objective and practical. Let’s say you look up the IRCC website and it says 52 weeks. And you have been waiting for 1.5 year, without anything meanwhile your living expenses continue to rise, without a steady source of income since you’re not allowed to do anything. No update, complete silence. If you can’t help then don’t judge. You have no idea what I have been though. A person has a right to question a government integrity and question it if a cause is justifiable. In my case it is. Please tell me sir/madam, again should I doubt?
So sorry for the case. You must be extremely stressed about this situation. I suggest that you should send the webform (WP case) because it was overdue and then ask for your lawyer to do something, at least transfer your SUV wp to PGWP?

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
@Kb4568 - Clearly, you have selective comprehension! I simply asked how do you know others are not on a similar timeline? Read through all the old posts on SUV and everybody is on a similar timeline, you are not an exception so there is no clear case of discrimination. And assuming it was, then the courts have already ruled it out. All IRCC processing timelines are delayed and not accurate it's clearly disclaimed on the IRCC website also.

I am not saying it's ok or justified, but that's the reality and everyone is facing the same. So for you to claim that you are specifically being targeted and discriminated has not been demonstrated by you objectively. As most SUV applicants on this forum are also waiting for over 18 months with no progress. With regard to Work Permit it depends on country of application, and most inland WP applications are delayed beyond the 52 weeks timeline. Read through old posts, if that helps you.

And for your information, I and most other SUV applicants have also been waiting for more than 18 months with no progress at all! So I know the frustration, but that does not mean I go about claiming discrimination.

Kb4568

Oct 16, 2021
So sorry for the case. You must be extremely stressed about this situation. I suggest that you should send the webform (WP case) because it was overdue and then ask for your lawyer to do something, at least transfer your SUV wp to PGWP?
Thank you for your comment. Indeed I am, my partner and I are extremely stress. I’m thinking of stop doing this program multiple times but I can’t back out now since those waiting will become nothing. I’ll be done with college next year and if everything is not getting better I’ll just do EE like everyone else.

Reactions: katie.vanto

Kb4568

Oct 16, 2021
@Kb4568 - Clearly, you have selective comprehension! I simply asked how do you know others are not on a similar timeline? Read through all the old posts on SUV and everybody is on a similar timeline, you are not an exception so there is no clear case of discrimination. And assuming it was, then the courts have already ruled it out. All IRCC processing timelines are delayed and not accurate it's clearly disclaimed on the IRCC website also.

I am not saying it's ok or justified, but that's the reality and everyone is facing the same. So for you to claim that you are specifically being targeted and discriminated has not been demonstrated by you objectively. As most SUV applicants on this forum are also waiting for over 18 months with no progress. With regard to Work Permit it depends on country of application, and most inland WP applications are delayed beyond the 52 weeks timeline. Read through old posts, if that helps you.

And for your information, I and most other SUV applicants have also been waiting for more than 18 months with no progress at all! So I know the frustration, but that does not mean I go about claiming discrimination.
I’m not saying this without a probable cause. I’ve read through the ATiP which is a report issued by IRCC to see what they have done with the application. As you see in my original thread. They said:” applicant is an international student claiming startup visa. Send to DN.” It means since I am an international student they’re questioning my eligibility. I have directly asked through several emails and received nothing but automated answer.
With that being said, I’ve read through this thread since 2019. I’ve been patiently wait for some progress but unfortunately there’s nothing.

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
@Kb4568 - Part of the answer lies in your question and the other part lies in your ATIP notes. Since you are a current International Student, so that means you are on a Study Permit. And as far as I know, Canada does not allow concurrent Work Permit and Study Permit. How can you possibly be allowed to have a Full-Time Work Permit along with your Full-Time Study Permit? How do you expect that to work?

I know lot of succesful startup come out of college dorms, but IRCC won't give you a Work Permit for that as it's not allowed for international students as per IRCC. Hence your case is exceptional and accordigly it was sent to DN, which is an IRCC officer for Domestic Network. I am sure your lawyer would have explained it better to you. And it would have been nice if you had shared what part of your lawyer's recommendation you doubt and need clarity on. Otherwise we are all talking in the air.

Also I am not sure why you think lack of SUV WP is causing you not to have a source of income? As a full-time student on Study Permit you are not expected to earn full-time income. As far as your startup is concerned, you are lucky unlike most of us, as you are already inland and can easily incorporate your startup in your home country and continue working on your idea and generate sales in Canada. So not sure what are you cribbing about, as SUV WP only allows you to work for your own startup. And if you are already in Canada on Study Permit, you can easily work on your startup for 20-Hrs per week as allowed by the Study Permit and take as much salary as you want.

Also the only exception to concurrent Permits is IEC (International Experience Canada), which allows concurrent Study and Work Permit. I don't think you are under that category, hence your case has been referred for further opinion. And most likely you won't be eligible for SUV Work Permit till your Study Permit expires or you complete your Studies.

Kb4568

Oct 16, 2021
@Kb4568 - Part of the answer lies in your question and the other part lies in your ATIP notes. Since you are a current International Student, so that means you are on a Study Permit. And as far as I know, Canada does not allow concurrent Work Permit and Study Permit. How can you possibly be allowed to have a Full-Time Work Permit along with your Full-Time Study Permit? How do you expect that to work?

I know lot of succesful startup come out of college dorms, but IRCC won't give you a Work Permit for that as it's not allowed for international students as per IRCC. Hence your case is exceptional and accordigly it was sent to DN, which is an IRCC officer for Domestic Network. I am sure your lawyer would have explained it better to you. And it would have been nice if you had shared what part of your lawyer's recommendation you doubt and need clarity on. Otherwise we are all talking in the air.

Also I am not sure why you think lack of SUV WP is causing you not to have a source of income? As a full-time student on Study Permit you are not expected to earn full-time income. As far as your startup is concerned, you are lucky unlike most of us, as you are already inland and can easily incorporate your startup in your home country and continue working on your idea and generate sales in Canada. So not sure what are you cribbing about, as SUV WP only allows you to work for your own startup. And if you are already in Canada on Study Permit, you can easily work on your startup for 20-Hrs per week as allowed by the Study Permit and take as much salary as you want.

Also the only exception to concurrent Permits is IEC (International Experience Canada), which allows concurrent Study and Work Permit. I don't think you are under that category, hence your case has been referred for further opinion. And most likely you won't be eligible for SUV Work Permit till your Study Permit expires or you complete your Studies.
This is why I need to know what’s the opinion of others beside my lawyer. They told me there is no restriction to hold 2 permits at the same time and now you said otherwise.
As for the inland part. I don’t think I’m more lucky than anyone in here since I cannot do anything besides of waiting.

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
This is why I need to know what’s the opinion of others beside my lawyer. They told me there is no restriction to hold 2 permits at the same time and now you said otherwise.
As for the inland part. I don’t think I’m more lucky than anyone in here since I cannot do anything besides of waiting.
Then you should have asked that question specifically, so other members can contribute meaningfully. And just FYI, the answer to your question is easily found online, by a simple google search. There is not much scope for opinions on eligibility, it's quite black-and-white; any half-decent lawyer should be able to tell if you are eligble for SUV WP or not.

If your lawyer claims it's possible to have SUV WP along with SP, then ask him/her to share under which exception is that allowed. If you are not convinced by your lawyer's answer then change him/her and get other legal opinion.

And I fail to understand what special thing are you expecting to do with SUV WP that you are currently unable to do as part-time worker while on your Study Permit? You can start working for your startup and even legally work for it for 20-Hrs per week, that should be good enough to get your startup going. And your argument that this delay is causing you undue financial distress is simply unreasonable. And on top of that you are claiming discrimination without any substantive reasoning.

Last edited:

Kb4568

Oct 16, 2021
Then you should have asked that question specifically, so other members can contribute meaningfully. And just FYI, the answer to your question is easily found online, by a simple google search. There is not much scope for opinions on eligibility, it's quite black-and-white; any half-decent lawyer should be able to tell if you are eligble for SUV WP or not.

If your lawyer claims it's possible to have SUV WP along with SP, then ask him/her to share under which exception is that allowed. If you are not convinced by your lawyer's answer then change him/her and get other legal opinion.

And I fail to understand what special thing are you expecting to do with SUV WP that you are currently unable to do as part-time worker while on your Study Permit? You can start working for your startup and even legally work for it for 20-Hrs per week, that should be good enough to get your startup going. And your argument that this delay is causing you undue financial distress is simply unreasonable. And on top of that you are claiming discrimination without any substantive reasoning.
20 hours seem a lot but that won’t be sufficient since a startup requires a lot of effort. Everything seems easy but when you’re in my condition you will understand. Money that is not making more money is dead money. If my SP is valuable as a WP do you think I’m here asking other’s opinions? If it’s not discriminatory then how come they haven’t respond to any of my emails? Like i said, I have probable reason to think that. If it’s otherwise IRCC can explain that to the court the reason why my WP case is delay, not just an excuse of Covid for the past 1.5 years when every other application inland from the same Program got processed.

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
@Kb4568 - Clearly, you are here to look for excuses and sympathy, but you are not getting that from me! I think I have clearly explained how you are most likely ineligible for the SUV WP, but you are welcome to keep exploring and blaming IRCC for your ignorance.

Also you can work as many hours you want for yourself and make all your money work as you like. Your unincorporated startup is like a project, there are no time-sheets or IRS reportings for that. And 20-Hrs limit is the paid hours you are allowed to work on your SP. So your argument of 20 hrs not being enough is quite lame, as technically you can devote all your free time to the startup. But your intentions with the SUV WP seem to be something else.

So I won't spend any more time or energy arguing with you on how you could still be working on your startup, as clearly that is not your motive.

Kb4568

Oct 16, 2021
@Kb4568 - Clearly, you are here to look for excuses and sympathy, but you are not getting that from me! I think I have clearly explained how you are most likely ineligible for the SUV WP, but you are welcome to keep exploring and blaming IRCC for your ignorance.

Also you can work as many hours you want for yourself and make all your money work as you like. Your unincorporated startup is like a project, there are no time-sheets or IRS reportings for that. And 20-Hrs limit is the paid hours you are allowed to work on your SP. So your argument of 20 hrs not being enough is quite lame, as technically you can devote all your free time to the startup. But your intentions with the SUV WP seem to be something else.

So I won't spend any more time or energy arguing with you on how you could still be working on your startup, as clearly that is not your motive.
Right because a stranger kindness goes long way. Seems like you prefer to antagonize any idea that different to you or if someone like to argue back?
FYI it’s CRS ( Canada Revenue Service). By all means, show me how to work my startup since it’s clearly in your name. I’m sure you are excellent at time management since you only do Startup and have nothing else to do like education, family, etc. If my intentions were not aligned with SUV would I spend times and efforts to wait and ask information on an Internet forum? You sir are very ignorant with your assumption. Hope you can contribute to other posts positively.

SUV_Unicorn_Potential

Star Member
Jun 26, 2020
@Startup_Visa @Kb4568 let's be gentle and supportive of each other. This forum is to provide information and support.

@Kb4568 I agree with you regarding your work permit - more than 18 months to process an inland work permit is wrong - even during Covid19 timelines. I think even at times a faster negative decision is better than an "infinite" wait. Even if you aren't eligible for an SUV work permit (because of your study permit) - then IRCC should make a decision and tell you that rather than leaving you in suspense for almost 1years 6months. Perhaps your case became "complex" on IRCC's end and they effectively ghosted your application/case (my opinion). I think this kind of behaviour from IRCC is unacceptable - even the Canadian govt reports have pointed this out. I share your frustration and anger. This is unacceptable.

Though if you are studying part-time or full-time, and your study permit is still valid - I don't think an SUV WP makes much a difference. Because you can essentially operate your Startup (incorporate, build MVP, acquire customers etc) - as long as you aren't on your company's payroll as an employee. I think the best thing you can do right now, is to focus and work on your startup, validate your product/idea - and for a moment forget about IRCC. As a founder of a company, practically no one (not even IRCC) can limit the amount of time you spend on your startup - only personal obligations can limit your time. ie school, family, etc.

However I think regarding your PR application I think at this point, it is normal for people who applied in 2020 to only have temporary file numbers. PR applications for SUV applicants are all taking a while. People who applied in lste 2019/ early 2020 are just getting their applications finalized.

Practically though - perhaps contact your MP for further assistance.

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
@Startup_Visa @Kb4568 let's be gentle and supportive of each other. This forum is to provide information and support.

@Kb4568 I agree with you regarding your work permit - more than 18 months to process an inland work permit is wrong - even during Covid19 timelines. I think even at times a faster negative decision is better than an "infinite" wait. Even if you aren't eligible for an SUV work permit (because of your study permit) - then IRCC should make a decision and tell you that rather than leaving you in suspense for almost 1years 6months. Perhaps your case became "complex" on IRCC's end and they effectively ghosted your application/case (my opinion). I think this kind of behaviour from IRCC is unacceptable - even the Canadian govt reports have pointed this out. I share your frustration and anger. This is unacceptable.

Though if you are studying part-time or full-time, and your study permit is still valid - I don't think an SUV WP makes much a difference. Because you can essentially operate your Startup (incorporate, build MVP, acquire customers etc) - as long as you aren't on your company's payroll as an employee. I think the best thing you can do right now, is to focus and work on your startup, validate your product/idea - and for a moment forget about IRCC. As a founder of a company, practically no one (not even IRCC) can limit the amount of time you spend on your startup - only personal obligations can limit your time. ie school, family, etc.

However I think regarding your PR application I think at this point, it is normal for people who applied in 2020 to only have temporary file numbers. PR applications for SUV applicants are all taking a while. People who applied in lste 2019/ early 2020 are just getting their applications finalized.

Practically though - perhaps contact your MP for further assistance.
@SUV_Unicorn_Potential - I have been pretty fair and reasonable in addressing the OP. If you feel differently, you are welcome to address the OP concerns your way.

Firstly, the OP din't give any information about what his lawyer said and on top of that he is doubting everyone. I have given a detailed analysis of his case based on the limited information he has shared. But clearly it's not the answer he wants to hear, but that doesn't mean I am not being supportive or sharing knowledge.

Secondly, similar to you I told OP to continue working on his startup, but clearly he is not interested in doing that and all he wants to do is use the SUV to immigrate.

Thirdly, his claims make no sense as he is saying the lack of SUV WP is causing him loss of income. Kindly enlighten me how is that possible? What is so special about SUV WP that he can't do that on Study Permit?

Most of us are running startups in our home country and still patiently waiting for a very long time. The OP is in a better position than most of us as he can easily work on his startup being in Canada and test the market. So there is no point of making baseless accusation of discrimination without even doing the basic research that you are eligible for a program or not. And on top of that the OP is claiming they can't start working on their startup without a WP, that clearly shows how genuine that startup is.

And most SUV WP applications have been delayed way beyond the official waiting period, so while nobody is justifying the IRCC delay, but don't make it sound that only one person has been singled out - like the OP is claiming.

Rakap

Star Member
Jul 10, 2019
@Startup_Visa and @Kb4568 - Guys we are just a forum of ppl to motivate each other. We are not the authority to make the final decision.

Let's refocus on what's happening in our files. If someone who has a student visa and has done something similar will volunteer and DM or reply to the questions raised. We are ppl who have a regular startup running in the home country and have incorporated a company in Canada and awaiting the visa to explore our market opportunity there. So probably we don't have the answer to your qs as we ourselves are on the wait list.