+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Startup Visa Program Timeline

skytree

Aug 30, 2021
Hey everyone,

I have been lurking these forums for nearly 2 years when I first considering the SUV process as a result of getting into a well known incubator. A lot of the early comments were so helpful that I decided to not only pursue SUV but also skip a lawyer for the process. I managed to get the AOR and biometrics done weeks before everything shut and the uncertainty since has been annoying. However, I can see a lot of us are in the same boat and I at least wanted to share positive news. Some are similar to @Kai Nemo as we have similar AOR month?

So, here's my timeline after collecting all the docs including LOS.

Date Received: January 9, 2020

Biometric Requested: January 31, 2020 (and AOR confirmation with above date) - I also linked my application online on the same day.

Date of Biometrics Enrolment: February 14, 2020 (was travelling in US but managed to do this 2 weeks before shutdown!)

ADR requested: July 17th, 2020 - Following docs requested and required to be sent by 2020/07/23 (was tricky!) :
  1. Term Sheet
  2. Proof of work history
  3. Proof of studies
  4. Proof of incorporation (we are still only incorporated in the US)
  5. Additional proof of settlement funds
  6. A separate and newly completed Schedule A Background Declaration form (IMM
    5669)
  7. Business plan
  8. Completed Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)
  9. Travel History Info Form (mine needed extra pages like before)
  10. A separate and newly completed Additional Family
    Information form (IMM5406) bearing original signatures
Medical requested: September 14th, 2020

Medical passed: October 3rd, 2020 (4 days after appearing for it)

2nd ADR requested: August 25th, 2021 - Following docs requested and required to be sent by 2021/09/01 :
  1. Police Certificate (given additional time up to October 25th)
  2. Bank statements for the past 6 months.
  3. A separate and newly completed Schedule A Background Declaration form (IMM
    5669)
  4. Completed Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)
  5. Travel History Info Form (mine needed extra pages like before)
  6. A separate and newly completed Additional Family
    Information form (IMM5406) bearing original signatures
3rd ADR: September 2nd, 2021 - A period has passed since your application. Provide the up to date progress and growth of the
business. (required to be sent by 2021/09/09)
IELTS language exam results (strange that this was re-requested but I uploaded the scanned copy of valid results)

Re-Medical requested: September 3rd, 2021 (prev one was expiry in a month)

4th ADR: September 13th, 2021 - IELTS language exam results (strange that this was re-requested but I uploaded the scanned copy of valid results)

Invitation to Pre-arrival services: September 15th, 2021 (assuming eligibility has passed!)

Medical passed: September 24th, 2021 (9 days after appearing for it)

And just an hour ago, I did get a fresh PCC which I have now uploaded and the waiting game begins (again!) :) - I will update this post if there's more progress.
I hope this information helps those waiting or thinking to apply. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and please do your own research!

--Swaroop
@swaroop Congratulations!!! Thanks for sharing your timeline. Your good news lifts our spirits. As you mentioned in the 3rd ADR, IRCC requested the "up to date progress and growth of the business", and submitted it in 1 week's time. Would you please share with us how you wrote it? I am working on the project at the validation status, website done, a company set up done, bank account done but no revenue yet. Thank you very much. Congratulations again. Wish you all success in the business venture and a smooth landing in Canada.

Reactions: mamad611

Kai Nemo

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
Haha thanks and as an avid F1 fan, Ferrari is not doing as well these days but they are catching up - just like all of us in the SUV process xD

All the best with yours too! I am sure you'll be hearing good news in October.
Hi Buddy,
Ha...ha....Actually, I am an avid football fan that is why I don't know Ferrari is not doing well nowadays....hi....hi...!
Are you planning to take off now or delay until the "Spring break" to avoid the Wintertime as the "snowbird”?
Cheers
Kai

Rakap

Star Member
Jul 10, 2019
@swaroop Congratulations!!! Thanks for sharing your timeline. Your good news lifts our spirits. As you mentioned in the 3rd ADR, IRCC requested the "up to date progress and growth of the business", and submitted it in 1 week's time. Would you please share with us how you wrote it? I am working on the project at the validation status, website done, a company set up done, bank account done but no revenue yet. Thank you very much. Congratulations again. Wish you all success in the business venture and a smooth landing in Canada.

Yes Swaroop can you please guide us on what did you submit for up-to-date progress and growth of the business.

Reactions: mamad611

swarooph

Sep 13, 2021
India
Hi Buddy,
Ha...ha....Actually, I am an avid football fan that is why I don't know Ferrari is not doing well nowadays....hi....hi...!
Are you planning to take off now or delay until the "Spring break" to avoid the Wintertime as the "snowbird”?
Cheers
Kai
I really considered it but I don't want to take my chances especially with another possible wave in my current country (India). Going to head in a month - used to live a nomadic life pre-pandemic, so moving comes easy. I am dreading Toronto winters, so might check out Vancouver as an option.

Reactions: Kai Nemo

swarooph

Sep 13, 2021
India
Yes Swaroop can you please guide us on what did you submit for up-to-date progress and growth of the business.
This will be very specific to your business. I submitted our traction and revenue growth over past 12 months which in our case was too good. Don't fret much about this, I am sure as long as you show the business is still making some progress, they should be fine. They probably want to check if the company has even survived during all this time which while seems unfair but makes sense from their perspective as they only wan to issue PRs to those who will bring their business to Canada. /cc @skytree

Kai Nemo

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
Is it mandatory now to apply for WP?
Hi TucoR,
Please see below which is extracted from IRCC Web for your reference:
Application process for immigrant entrepreneurs
Applicants must submit an application for permanent residence under Start-up Visa before the commitment certificate expires. They must include the Letter of Support with their application.

If the entrepreneur wants to come to Canada while we process their permanent residence application, they can apply for a short-term work permit under the International Mobility Program. For the entrepreneur to be eligible for the work permit, you must have identified them as an “essential applicant” on their commitment certificate.

The entrepreneur can apply for a work permit before or after applying for permanent residence. In both cases, they need a letter of support from you.

Reactions: Charlie VN

TucoR

Star Member
Feb 25, 2020
In docs of the incubator, I read that now it is mandatory. Probably, for incubators, because they can't wait 2.5 years without money

• Haha
Reactions: Kai Nemo

yasminjll

Feb 15, 2021
Thank you! And like you said before, only essential founders do.
Hello and congrats to you! Wish you all the best with your journey!
Just to clarify one point: Do you mean that non-essentials do not get PR? My understanding was that non-essentials cannot apply for work permit, but they will get PR.

Reactions: desperate suvhker

Enterprenuer702

Oct 4, 2021
I am looking at info on work permits, specifically if it is possible to apply under the Global Skills Strategy (GSS). Apparently under this applications are said to be processed in 2 weeks. At least it's claimed to be quicker - currently they are finalizing June applications.

LMIA exempt qualification for GSS stream: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/global-skills-strategy.html.

Check applications status info - where it indicates processing time via GSS - it seems it's not really two weeks but same as normal even if one qualifies under GSS: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html.
When you applied ?

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
Just to clarify one point: Do you mean that non-essentials do not get PR? My understanding was that non-essentials cannot apply for work permit, but they will get PR.
My understanding is that Non-Essential Founders don't get SUV PR and WP. But I understand there is lack of clarity on the same, so your best bet would be to clarify from your incubator and IRCC and also update here so future applicants can be aware of the same.

swarooph

Sep 13, 2021
India
I looked up my docs, looks like we skipped adding my co-founder (even as non-essential) altogether due to the lack of clarity as @Startup_Visa said above.

Reactions: yasminjll

Halem

Star Member
Oct 5, 2020
Final decision - October 11, 2021: Your application has been approved.

Feels surreal after visiting that website every day for nearly 2 years - no more trying to get around the GCKEY login issues! Now waiting for the passport to come back to me tomorrow or the day after.
Wow congratulations. could you please share your timeline?