+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Startup Visa Program Timeline

padaja

Mar 12, 2021
I heard from a immigration company that this morning they had medical exams request from IRCC for 6 SUV files (about 18 families). All these files were submitted before Covid pandemic. It means they (IRCC) are processing SUV applications when the percent of population who have received at least 1 dose of vaccine in Canada was 70% as of June 21, 2021. Many file submitted before 2020 would have good news soon.
Good day. May I ask why medical/re-medical exams request/instruction from IRCC will be good news? Is medical examination/re-medical examination the last step/requirement prior to approval/PPR? Thank you for your insight.

StrangerSUV

Oct 27, 2019
Good day. May I ask why medical/re-medical exams request/instruction from IRCC will be good news? Is medical examination/re-medical examination the last step/requirement prior to approval/PPR? Thank you for your insight.
My immigration lawyer said that when I have medical exam request, 95% I will have PP request soon. I personally know my friends who have medical exam request, they all have PR now.

padaja

Mar 12, 2021
My immigration lawyer said that when I have medical exam request, 95% I will have PP request soon. I personally know my friends who have medical exam request, they all have PR now.
Thank you for replying and sharing this information. Good luck to everyone! May good news come soon.

Kai Nemo

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
Hi Padaja,
Medical Exam request is one of the last steps of the IRCC processing procedure in which: " We’ll send you a letter to tell you how to get the medical exam after we send your application to the visa office"
This means that after the IRCC officers have finished all the steps of their own such as Eligibility check, background check, security screening,...then if you will pass these checking steps => your application file will be sent to the Visa office and the medical exam instruction will be followed.
Therefore, the SUV applicants who receive the medical exam request is one of the best news as well as they will be most likely got the PPR very soon.
Cheers
Kai

padaja

Mar 12, 2021
Hi Padaja,
Medical Exam request is one of the last steps of the IRCC processing procedure in which: " We’ll send you a letter to tell you how to get the medical exam after we send your application to the visa office"
This means that after the IRCC officers have finished all the steps of their own such as Eligibility check, background check, security screening,...then if you will pass these checking steps => your application file will be sent to the Visa office and the medical exam instruction will be followed.
Therefore, the SUV applicants who receive the medical exam request is one of the best news as well as they will be most likely got the PPR very soon.
Cheers
Kai
Thank you, Kai for sharing this information with all of us! Appreciate very much the explanation re medical examination request. May we all get very soon the good news we have been waiting for. Cheers!

Kai Nemo

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
Hi SUV friends,
  • SUV Processing time….and SUV timeline….! I assume that all of us are most likely interested in this matter. From my side, I do accept all the processing time which IRCC has issued so far since we actually have no choice because of a very abnormal circumstance nowadays. Furthermore, IRCC is also intelligent enough to know which applicants should be taken the first priority to be processed in this special period of time and it is certain that SUV applicants are not the priority ones.
  • Therefore, my topic today is just to ask one of us or our expert who is kindly to help us to explain “How does IRCC calculate or estimate the SUV processing time”?
  • I haven’t applied yet => 12 to 16 months => "This processing time shows how long we expect to take to process most complete applications under normal circumstances " => This is very easy to understand since it is just an expectation & plan of IRCC.
  • I already applied= 33 months => Last update: July 13, 2021, Updated weekly=> "This processing time tells you how long it took us to process most complete applications in the past 12 months" => This is the one I do not understand much....so let see below and help us to know what the does the "most complete applications in the past 12 months" mean?
  • => I may understand this : "Most" = ~ 80%, => "Complete applications" = The SUV Applicants who have received the AOR=> and "In the past 12 months" => means: from “July 13-2020” to the updated date of IRCC July 13, 2021 => Look very simple so far. But the below will start to my question:
For an example:
  • The speed of IRCC processing time = 100% (All) instead of 80% (Most) just for easy to calculate.
(This means => the processing time tells you how long it took us to process all complete applications in the past 12 months) instead of "most"
  • Approval rate = 100% (just an example)
  • In the past 12 months: The number of processed (approved) files = 1000 Applicants (just an example) => and now it is my question ?
IRCC states that the processing time = 33 months => means what….?
  • 33 months => All 1000 approved Applicants had received the AOR 33 months ago (since 13 April 2018) => It seems to be the wrong judgment?
  • 33 months => Some of them (group 01) had been approved after 12 months, group 02 after 16 months, group 03 after 20 months, group 04 after 28 months,….and if the processing time =33 months => it is obviously there might be at least one or two groups would have the processing time more than 33 months e.g. 36 or 38 this means one of them had received the AOR since Jan 2018 => It looks strange too?
  • Honestly, I am an engineer and I used to study the subject which is called as “statistics” (when I was my first year in my university) but I might not good at it. Therefore, I really don’t understand how IRCC calculates and estimates the SUV processing time.
Looking forward to receiving your advice and comments
All the best to all of our SUV applicants
Cheers
Kai
PS: My AOR = Jan 2020 (18 months)

Last edited:

dineshshristi

Mar 6, 2020
Hi SUV friends,
  • SUV Processing time….and SUV timeline….! I assume that all of us are most likely interested in this matter. From my side, I do accept all the processing time which IRCC has issued so far since we actually have no choice because of a very abnormal circumstance nowadays. Furthermore, IRCC is also intelligent enough to know which applicants should be taken the first priority to be processed in this special period of time and it is certain that SUV applicants are not the priority ones.
  • Therefore, my topic today is just to ask one of us or our expert who is kindly to help us to explain “How does IRCC calculate or estimate the SUV processing time”?
  • I haven’t applied yet => 12 to 16 months => "This processing time shows how long we expect to take to process most complete applications under normal circumstances " => This is very easy to understand since it is just an expectation & plan of IRCC.
  • I already applied= 33 months => Last update: July 13, 2021, Updated weekly=> "This processing time tells you how long it took us to process most complete applications in the past 12 months" => This is the one I do not understand much....so let see below and help us to know what the does the "most complete applications in the past 12 months" mean?
  • => I may understand this : "Most" = ~ 80%, => "Complete applications" = The SUV Applicants who have received the AOR=> and "In the past 12 months" => means: from “July 13-2020” to the updated date of IRCC July 13, 2021 => Look very simple so far. But the below will start to my question:
For an example:
  • The speed of IRCC processing time = 100% (All) instead of 80% (Most) just for easy to calculate.
(This means => the processing time tells you how long it took us to process all complete applications in the past 12 months) instead of "most"
  • Approval rate = 100% (just an example)
  • In the past 12 months: The number of processed (approved) files = 1000 Applicants (just an example) => and now it is my question ?
IRCC states that the processing time = 33 months => means what….?
  • 33 months => All 1000 approved Applicants had received the AOR 33 months ago (since 13 April 2018) => It seems to be the wrong judgment?
  • 33 months => Some of them (group 01) had been approved after 12 months, group 02 after 16 months, group 03 after 20 months, group 04 after 28 months,….and if the processing time =33 months => it is obviously there might be at least one or two groups would have the processing time more than 33 months e.g. 36 or 38 this means one of them had received the AOR since Jan 2018 => It looks strange too?
  • Honestly, I am an engineer and I used to study the subject which is called as “statistics”
  • (when I was the first year in my university) but I might not good at it. Therefore, I really don’t understand how IRCC calculates and estimates the SUV processing time.
Looking forward to receiving your advice and comments
All the best to all of our SUV applicants
Cheers
Kai
PS: My AOR = Jan 2020 (18 months)
Hello everyone
The above explanation is correct but when it comes to logically with IRCC nobody cant say much. My details
AOR- 11 march 2020
Additional documents requested- 30 march 2021
Since then nothing and completely silent.

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
@Kai Nemo Firstly, I don't agree with your conformist statement that "IRCC is intelligent enough to know which applicants should be given priority". It's a well established fact that IRCC like all monopolistic immigration authorities is a highly bureaucratic and flawed organization. And lot of their decisions are driven by politicians' policies and laws. For example as per IRCC Spousal Visas processing time was 2-3+ years, meaning newly married spouses were seperated for 2-3+ years till their visas got approved. However, spousal visa applicants teamed-up and hired top-lawyers who petitioned to have their Spousal Visas expedited. As a result, the immigration committee passed a ruling to priortize Spousal Visas. Now Spousal Visas are being processed on highest priority.

Now coming to your question on estimated time. As much as we would like to believe that it's computed by some smart AI, but reality is that there is no absolute maths going behind these estimates. These are pure estimates based on the fact that on average processing time during normal times was 12-16 months, so they are assuming that when a new application is submitted and things are back to normal then it will take 12-16 months. However, if you applied in 2020 then add those 18 months of delay and it becomes 33 months.

To give another perspective, if you were to apply today, you would think that it would take you 12-16 months as per estimates. However, after you have applied tomorrow your estimate will change to 33 months :) Reason being, they don't know when they are going to start processing the SUV applications. So these estimates have no realistic value, except telling us not to expect anything anytime soon.

Another example - if you know someone who has applied in Express Entry there is a progress bar which gives percentage of progress of your application. IRCC has disclosed that it's based on hard-coded numbers, so for example for all applicants after 3 months it will change to "Background Check Passed", whereas in reality there files might not have moved one-bit. So much for smart IRCC!

So long story short - SUV estimated timeline are very speculative and are based on when they think they will restart processing SUV applications. At this time, there is no clear visibility on that as SUV is still not a priority for them. Hence SUV PR timeline has recently increased from 30-32 months to 33 months. Every month it gets delayed it will keep getting pushed back. The optimist in me thinks that the day they start processing they might double-down and clear all applications one-way or another in 3-6 months. But at this point it's just wishful thinking and hoping that our startup can survive till that time and any pivot doesn't mean having to reapply with a new idea.

Last edited:

Fargoloz

Star Member
May 2, 2020
@Kai Nemo Firstly, I don't agree with your conformist statement that "IRCC is intelligent enough to know which applicants should be given priority". It's a well established fact that IRCC like all monopolistic immigration authorities is a highly bureaucratic and flawed organization. And lot of their decisions are driven by politicians' policies and laws. For example as per IRCC Spousal Visas processing time was 2-3+ years, meaning newly married spouses were seperated for 2-3+ years till their visas got approved. However, spousal visa applicants teamed-up and hired top-lawyers who petitioned to have their Spousal Visas expedited. As a result, the immigration committee passed a ruling to priortize Spousal Visas. Now Spousal Visas are being processed on highest priority.

Now coming to your question on estimated time. As much as we would like to believe that it's computed by some smart AI, but reality is that there is no absolute maths going behind these estimates. These are pure estimates based on the fact that on average processing time during normal times was 12-16 months, so they are assuming that when a new application is submitted and things are back to normal then it will take 12-16 months. However, if you applied in 2020 then add those 18 months of delay and it becomes 33 months.

To give another perspective, if you were to apply today, you would think that it will take you 12-16 months as per estimates. However, after you have applied your estimate will change to 33 months :) Reason being, they don't know when they are going to start processing the SUV applications. So these estimates have no realistic value, expect telling us not to expect anything anytime soon.

Another example - if you know someone who has applied in Express Entry there is a progress bar which gives percentage of progress of your application. IRCC has disclosed that it's based on hard-coded numbers, so for example for all applicants after 3 months it will change to "Background Check Passed", whereas in reality there files might not have moved one-bit. So much for smart IRCC!

So long story short - SUV estimated timeline are very speculative and are based on when they think they will restart processing SUV applications. At this time, there is no clear visibility on that as SUV is still not a priority for them. Hence SUV PR timeline has recently increased from 30-32 months to 33 months. Every month it gets delayed it will keep getting pushed back. The optimist in me thinks that the day they start processing they might double-down and clear all applications one-way or another in 3-6 months. But at this point it's just wishful thinking and hoping that our startup can survive till that time and any pivot doesn't mean having to reapply with a new idea.
I second your opinion, I think I saw the same happening with work permit, when I applied the processing time was 4 weeks, and then extended multiple times until it reached 24 weeks then back to 21 weeks for a while, now I see it's back to 9 weeks and they process them faster.

Reactions: Kai Nemo

katie.vanto

Mar 23, 2021
Hello my friends,
What an interesting topic. So I would contribute my voice a little bit.

About the processing time, I myself do not care much about the time table IRCC quoted, because IT IS NOT APPLICABLE TO OUR APPLICATION for sure. Processing time bases on 2 factors:
1. Covid. Yes, in this point I totally agree with @Kai Nemo that IRCC has their reason to choose which type of immigration are on the priority and which one is on hold basing on their politic and economic strategies.
2. The natural of each application. All of us already know well what SUV is. Some applications need only few months from the AOR date to PP request date (3 months is the quickest time I have known), and some need more time (to 36months) because these applications need a PEER REVIEW PROCESS. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/start-business/peer-reviews.html
In short, peer review is made when IRCC is not sure about the accurate information of the applications (about the projects, the main applicants, the designed organizations, etc..) so IRCC will invite an independent entity to analyze, interview, investigate, etc. before releasing the final decision. This takes longer time (e.g 36 months). It is said that "so unlucky to be placed at peer review". But peer review is case by case basic, not be counted here.
Come back to the 33 months, it can assume that time was calculated by: normal time 12 months +16 months covid+THERE ARE MANY APPLICATIONS WERE PUT IN PEEL REVIEW. That's my assumption.

About the voice to make pressure on IRCC: yes, I agree with @Startup_Visa about the spouse visas. IRCC had concession when receiving many objections from applicants, and put it to prior to processing now.
What we can do now? It depends on you. I chose waiting, although wait is so difficult.
Good luck to all of my friends.
Katie.

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
@katie.vanto - I respect your views, but I don't agree with them. I don't know how you are claiming in bold that IRCC timelines are not applicable to your application? Can you elaborate why you think so?

Also I don't agree that IRCC knows best which applications should be priortized. Maybe you don't see startups as driving economic growth and employment, but that's the underlying principle behind SUV applications, so technically they should be priortized as they have the potential to contribute to the Canadian economy and generate jobs. And there is proof in SUV applicant who went on to raise $400M in funding and is a leading Canadian startup.

You will ask then why is SUV not priortized, well the fact is that most politicians and IRCC staff don't even know about SUV program and it's potential or the fact that SUV applications have been put on a hold for almost 18 months. So if they don't know they can't do anything about it. So the onus is on us to create awareness about the same.

I don't know when you applied, but it takes 6-9 months to get a LOS and most of us have been waiting for 18 months, so it brings it to 24 months without the SUV PR file even opened. I don't know about your startup, but most stratup heading to Canada are looking for entry to Canada and US market and it's not possible to do that from their home countries. And to put their startup on indefinite hold literally shuts down the startup.

If your purpose is just immigration, then sure waiting is not a problem, but if you are really planning to expand your startup, then a genuine founder would want to be there sooner rather than later. Or else by the time their PR comes through their startup would have lost it's competitive advantage or even worse shuts down due to the delay in entering the Canadian market in time.

katie.vanto

Mar 23, 2021
@katie.vanto - I respect your views, but I don't agree with them. I don't know how you are claiming in bold that IRCC timelines are not applicable to your application? Can you elaborate why you think so?

Also I don't agree that IRCC knows best which applications should be priortized. Maybe you don't see startups as driving economic growth and employment, but that's the underlying principle behind SUV applications, so technically they should be priortized as they have the potential to contribute to the Canadian economy and generate jobs. And there is proof in SUV applicant who went on to raise $400M in funding and is a leading Canadian startup.

You will ask then why is SUV not priortized, well the fact is that most politicians and IRCC staff don't even know about SUV program and it's potential or the fact that SUV applications have been put on a hold for almost 18 months. So if they don't know they can't do anything about it. So the onus is on us to create awareness about the same.

I don't know when you applied, but it takes 6-9 months to get a LOS and most of us have been waiting for 18 months, so it brings it to 24 months without the SUV PR file even opened. I don't know about your startup, but most stratup heading to Canada are looking for entry to Canada and US market and it's not possible to do that from their home countries. And to put their startup on indefinite hold literally shuts down the startup.

If your purpose is just immigration, then sure waiting is not a problem, but if you are really planning to expand your startup, then a genuine founder would want to be there sooner rather than later. Or else by the time their PR comes through their startup would have lost it's competitive advantage or even worse shuts down due to the delay in entering the Canadian market in time.
Thank you @Startup_Visa . Actually there is no agree or disagree on the reason why IRCC keeps SUV on hold this time. I just tried to figure out what is going on bases on the collected information and things are moving forward in Canada now. From that point sharing my view to others. That's it.

One thing I disagree with you, that is "If your purpose is just immigration, then sure waiting is not a problem". No, for any purpose, waiting is the the most difficult action. Because it is stuck there and let people cannot make any further decision, especially big decision like immigration or doing business.

For your information, I am a SUV candidate, and I am in Canada now to run my startup, PR is not my unique purpose if dont say it is the second.
Cheers.
Katie

ARMAH

Star Member
Aug 28, 2020
Hello Friends,

we submitted our work permit under startup visa 9 months ago but we haven't have any result.
I think WP is linked to AOR permanent and until we don't AOR , we can't get work permit.
Do you have any experience?