+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship Russia

nkuznetsov

Mar 30, 2018
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian citizen, but have been living in Russia for the past ~2 years. I plan to get married in Russia, then bring wife to Canada as she has a tourist visa open. Then apply for sponsorship and receive PR for her.

Questions: would this work? Are there any caveats in this process?

Zuky

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
01-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-05-2017
File Transfer...
19-07-2017
Med's Request
12-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
??
Hey,

I actually just finished sponsoring my Russian wife, so I may be able to help. However, we did it outland (she lived in Russia and I lived in Canada, visiting sometimes). As a result, I'm not very familiar with inland sponsorships, so someone else may be able to speak to that better. Entering on a tourist visa and suddenly applying for sponsorship may cause problems (that's not really "tourism"), but it may not. I would double check that bit before doing it, though.

I also got married in Russia. It's a long, bureaucratic, and painful process, and will take about 2-3 months to do (if you're not a Russian citizen too).

Inland sponsorships are great in that you can actually be together while the application is processed. She would also be able to apply for an open work permit. Again, if I were you, I would wait to hear from someone who knows more about inland sponsorships about whether or not coming in as a tourist and immediately starting a sponsorship would be an issue. It might not be though!

Other than that, expect to wait about 9-12 months (on average) for the application to process once you send in a complete application package. And that's for straightforward cases. Having lived in Russia for over 6 months, you would also need a Russian police certificate.

The other potential issue with inland is if you need an interview, your wife would have to travel back to have the interview. There can also be issues with paperwork and stuff. If I were you, I would review the checklist and compile all the necessary documents before you leave Russia. This way, you won't land in Canada and realize that you actually need a document that you forgot in Russia.

Again, I have almost no knowledge about inland applications, but I did go through the process of sponsoring a Russian, so if you have any questions specific to that, I can try to help!

Good luck!

Ukrainian girl

Oct 7, 2017
App. Filed.......
22-12-2017
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Med's Request
07-03-2018
Hey,

I actually just finished sponsoring my Russian wife, so I may be able to help. However, we did it outland (she lived in Russia and I lived in Canada, visiting sometimes). As a result, I'm not very familiar with inland sponsorships, so someone else may be able to speak to that better. Entering on a tourist visa and suddenly applying for sponsorship may cause problems (that's not really "tourism"), but it may not. I would double check that bit before doing it, though.

I also got married in Russia. It's a long, bureaucratic, and painful process, and will take about 2-3 months to do (if you're not a Russian citizen too).

Inland sponsorships are great in that you can actually be together while the application is processed. She would also be able to apply for an open work permit. Again, if I were you, I would wait to hear from someone who knows more about inland sponsorships about whether or not coming in as a tourist and immediately starting a sponsorship would be an issue. It might not be though!

Other than that, expect to wait about 9-12 months (on average) for the application to process once you send in a complete application package. And that's for straightforward cases. Having lived in Russia for over 6 months, you would also need a Russian police certificate.

The other potential issue with inland is if you need an interview, your wife would have to travel back to have the interview. There can also be issues with paperwork and stuff. If I were you, I would review the checklist and compile all the necessary documents before you leave Russia. This way, you won't land in Canada and realize that you actually need a document that you forgot in Russia.

Again, I have almost no knowledge about inland applications, but I did go through the process of sponsoring a Russian, so if you have any questions specific to that, I can try to help!

Good luck!
HI, I thought that Sponsors (Canadian citizens) didn't need to provide their PCC??

nkuznetsov

Mar 30, 2018
Thanks for the advice.

Just to clarify, I'm also a Russian citizen, so marriage wouldn't be that painful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, my impression is that inland process is much faster than if I'd apply while living abroad (outland). She can stay in Canada as a tourist for X number of days (30 or 180, I didn't yet investigate this), but in any case, I thought we could apply for a visa extension (or temporary resident status, whatever it's called) in the case that application will take longer to process. Idea is to move to Canada as fast as possible and handle all of the PR-related things while living there.

Having lived in Russia for over 6 months, you would also need a Russian police certificate

Which document are you referring to exactly?

Zuky

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
01-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-05-2017
File Transfer...
19-07-2017
Med's Request
12-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
??
HI, I thought that Sponsors (Canadian citizens) didn't need to provide their PCC??
I had to provide one when I applied (a Canadian one), but that was in May of 2017. Maybe the requirements have changed, but as far as I know, you do need to.

EDIT: I'm wrong, I had to do it for another reason at the same time we were doing the spousal sponsorship, so I got mixed up. Sorry and my bad!!

Last edited:

Zuky

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
01-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-05-2017
File Transfer...
19-07-2017
Med's Request
12-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
??
Thanks for the advice.

Just to clarify, I'm also a Russian citizen, so marriage wouldn't be that painful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, my impression is that inland process is much faster than if I'd apply while living abroad (outland). She can stay in Canada as a tourist for X number of days (30 or 180, I didn't yet investigate this), but in any case, I thought we could apply for a visa extension (or temporary resident status, whatever it's called) in the case that application will take longer to process. Idea is to move to Canada as fast as possible and handle all of the PR-related things while living there.

Having lived in Russia for over 6 months, you would also need a Russian police certificate
Being a Russian citizen saves you a lot of headache on that front haha.

Inland/outland refers to where the PA is. I think processing times are relatively equal now, but you can ask in the inland thread.

Yeah, I understand your plan and it all sounds fine as long as her entering the country on a TRV with the sole intention of commencing an inland sponsorship is not an issue. Again, it may be 100% fine, I just vaguely remember reading something about that so I don't want to give you the green light without raising it an a potential issue.

Ah my bad, I got mixed up. The PA has to provide a criminal record check from every country in which they spent more than 6 months. It's all spelled out in the application checklist, and I would recommend, again, going over that before leaving Russia to ensure you have all the required documents.

Sorry for the mix up!

Ukrainian girl

Oct 7, 2017
App. Filed.......
22-12-2017
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Med's Request
07-03-2018
I had to provide one when I applied (a Canadian one), but that was in May of 2017. Maybe the requirements have changed, but as far as I know, you do need to.

EDIT: I'm wrong, I had to do it for another reason at the same time we were doing the spousal sponsorship, so I got mixed up. Sorry and my bad!!
Ahh that's good, thank you! I got worried for a bit because I thought we had to get a Ukrainian PCC for my husband as well but that's good to know that we don't need to.

Zuky

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
01-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-05-2017
File Transfer...
19-07-2017
Med's Request
12-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
??
Ahh that's good, thank you! I got worried for a bit because I thought we had to get a Ukrainian PCC for my husband as well but that's good to know that we don't need to.
I'm fairly certain you don't. Honestly though, my application was like 100 pages so I don't remember exactly what was in there. If you followed the checklist then you're definitely good!!

Reactions: Ukrainian girl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Inland and outland take around the same time now. Approximately a year. Getting a try will be the deciding factor. It might be quite difficult depending on her ability to prove ties to her country especially after marriage. She could stay for up to 6 months on a visitor visa that you would have to extend. If you are doing inland I would try to send in the application as soon as possible in Canada if you get a try.

nkuznetsov

Mar 30, 2018
Hi,

Spoke to a lawyer. He suggested not getting married in Russia. Instead, come to Canada as a tourist (since visa is open), then get married on Canadian soil, then apply for inland sponsorship while in Canada. It'll take ~12 months, while visa stay is 6 months, but while PR application is in progress, one can apply for a 2 yr work permit, which will pretty much extend her stay until PR application is done processing.

I was surprised that it's pretty easy to get married in Canada if you're Canadian and she is not, but apparently that's the way it is - just go to the city hall, sign the papers, in several weeks you receive the marriage certificate.

She'd need to bring police clearance certificate and labor book (translated) to Canada, and that's about all is needed for the application. Also, the medical exam. Can this be done while already in Canada? I guess if that's done abroad, then it needs to be translated, thus an extra step to do.

The original plan of marrying in Russia, then coming as a tourist would possibly involve lying at the border, since the officer might question her ties in Canada and Russia, and if she were to say she's married and coming to Canada as a tourist to get sponsored - that will be a negative factor.

I suppose I'll go the way he suggested. From your experience, can the application be successfully done individually, or do I need to involve a paralegal? Their cost is around 5.5k. TBH I didn't check the actual application yet, but I know that it's a bunch of docs that need to be submitted (above) as well as call logs, photos, chats.

Zuky

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
01-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-05-2017
File Transfer...
19-07-2017
Med's Request
12-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
??
Hi,

Spoke to a lawyer. He suggested not getting married in Russia. Instead, come to Canada as a tourist (since visa is open), then get married on Canadian soil, then apply for inland sponsorship while in Canada. It'll take ~12 months, while visa stay is 6 months, but while PR application is in progress, one can apply for a 2 yr work permit, which will pretty much extend her stay until PR application is done processing.

I was surprised that it's pretty easy to get married in Canada if you're Canadian and she is not, but apparently that's the way it is - just go to the city hall, sign the papers, in several weeks you receive the marriage certificate.

She'd need to bring police clearance certificate and labor book (translated) to Canada, and that's about all is needed for the application. Also, the medical exam. Can this be done while already in Canada? I guess if that's done abroad, then it needs to be translated, thus an extra step to do.

The original plan of marrying in Russia, then coming as a tourist would possibly involve lying at the border, since the officer might question her ties in Canada and Russia, and if she were to say she's married and coming to Canada as a tourist to get sponsored - that will be a negative factor.

I suppose I'll go the way he suggested. From your experience, can the application be successfully done individually, or do I need to involve a paralegal? Their cost is around 5.5k. TBH I didn't check the actual application yet, but I know that it's a bunch of docs that need to be submitted (above) as well as call logs, photos, chats.
I'm not well versed enough to comment on what the lawyer recommended, but maybe some of the senior people here will be able to.

I would also recommend getting everything you have to have translated translated in Russia. It is much cheaper!

Also, you had mentioned the workbook. This may not apply to you, but my wife had worked under the table (I read somewhere recently that something like 50% of salaries are paid that way in Russia lol), and so she had worked (you have to mention that in the Schedule A), but didn't have anything in her workbook, so we couldn't provide that. We added a letter explaining that while she did work, she did so for cash, talked about how that's normal in Russia and not something she ever gave a second thought to, that it's not something she'll do in Canada, etc. Everything worked out for us! I just wanted to mention that in case you get into that kind of situation and are worried about what to do.

Another potential issue is the police certificate is only valid for a certain amount of time (6 months, I think). I'm not sure what she would have to do if they wanted another one and she was in Canada. Maybe the embassy can do it, I'm not sure.

The medical exam we did in Moscow was sent directly by them to IRCC and did not need to be translated.

Re: hiring someone to help, I think the majority of this forum would recommend you do it yourself if your case is straightforward. It's very expensive to hire someone, and realistically, you're probably going to end up doing a decent amount of the work yourself anyway. They'll give advice along the way, but you also run the risk of them giving bad advice and hurting your application. If you really really need to speak to a lawyer about something specific, you can always pay 200-300 for an hour and get your answers there. Another downside is that you won't have access to your GCKEY, which is the system through which IRCC communicates with you. The lawyer adds a middleman to the equation and that can slow things down, depending on how good/bad the lawyer is at getting back to you. (I know you said paralegal, but I'm not familiar with how that would work so I'm talking about a lawyer haha)

If I were you, I'd try to do it myself. Put your application together, try to figure stuff out/ask here if you get stuck, and if at that point you really feel as though you can't do it alone, then get someone. But definitely at least try to do it yourself. It's a lot of work, but for straightforward cases, it isn't complicated. More tedious than anything.

Good luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would agree with the lawyer inland may be better BUT your gf has to get a TRV. That will be the deciding factor. Getting a TRV is no an easy process for many people. Would see if you get the TRV. That will make the decision for you.

nkuznetsov

Mar 30, 2018
Would agree with the lawyer inland may be better BUT your gf has to get a TRV. That will be the deciding factor. Getting a TRV is no an easy process for many people. Would see if you get the TRV. That will make the decision for you.
Sorry, why would she need to get a TRV, which I assume is a temporary resident visa. and how would that be a deciding factor?

As I mentioned, she has a tourist visa already open for another 3-4 years, so she'd be able to stay for 6 months. This would then be extended be getting a work permit, that's obtained for 2 years and it takes several weeks to get and is pretty easy, according to the lawyer guy I talked to.

Am I missing something TRV-related?

Zuky

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
01-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-05-2017
File Transfer...
19-07-2017
Med's Request
12-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
??
Sorry, why would she need to get a TRV, which I assume is a temporary resident visa. and how would that be a deciding factor?

As I mentioned, she has a tourist visa already open for another 3-4 years, so she'd be able to stay for 6 months. This would then be extended be getting a work permit, that's obtained for 2 years and it takes several weeks to get and is pretty easy, according to the lawyer guy I talked to.

Am I missing something TRV-related?
I think he just didn't realize she already had the visa.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

It doesn't matter where you get married. Either way, when she enters Canada, she will not be intending to leave. Start the app before coming to Canada and pay the PR fees in full. She can show that is CBSA asks questions.

The medical can be done anywhere and is requested after submitting the app.

You don't need a lawyer. Most people do the app themselves.