+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

masan

Oct 16, 2020
Good people of Internet,
Can you pls help or suggest something for my wife's open work permit case. it has been excruciating wait time.

I'm in Canada on closed work permit & applied for my wife's open work permit last year.....It is still pending decision.

December 14th 2019 - Upfront Medical completed in New Delhi
December 20th 2019 - Case filed
December 31st 2019 - Biometrics completed at VFS/New Delhi

It is still decision pending.

Aniljha

Jul 6, 2020
Hey did anyone applied for spousal open work permit from India and got their approval if yes what is the timeline could anyone let me know I am on my pgwp and hold a skilled job that comes under noc 0 category

syshadcosta

Aug 1, 2018
hey ,

My husband is in UAE, but he's an Indian citizen. would he be able to file the swop application from India?

The processing time in UAE is 63 weeks... Wanted to know if anyone has done it before and if they faced any difficulties.

Thanks.

swapanathorat

Apr 5, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
9 Oct 2020
Med's Request
07-09-2021
Med's Done....
20-0-1981
Hi
I am in same situation, my wife’s PGWP is valid until 10 July 2021 and I was thinking to apply for my SOWP next week.but now since processing time is 21 weeks from India, By the time application will be processed it would be a tight deadline so I am confused to apply or wait.
Can you please suggest me
Now its shows processing time as 6 weeks

T1793C

Star Member
Feb 26, 2021
Hello everyone,

I need your advise. I want to apply for an open work permit for my husband who is outside of Canada.

I just received my new pgwp under the new policy and March 17. My previous pgwp expired Jan 10,2021 and I applied before the new policy came out just to stay on implied status so my application was rejected feb 7. I had to stop working and filed for my new pgwp. Luckily my employer kept my position ans I will be back to work on Monday.

My question is, I know 3 paystubs is needed to apply of the sowp. But can I write a letter of explanation my most recent paystub which will be april 2 and 2 previous paystubs from feb and January. Then later add more via webform?

Or should I wait until I have 3 recent paystubs?

My second question is, what documentation should my husband provide.

Is proof of funds needed for both of us or just my employment letter/contract with my NOC.

abhishek93

Star Member
May 5, 2017
Hi,

I'd appreciate some advice regarding the SOWP refusal.

My spouse applied for her BOWP recently and also applied for my SOWP along with her application. However, the SOWP has been refused on the following grounds: "your spouse's work permit must be valid for at least 6 months."

The BOWP is still in process. We were under the impression that her BOWP would be processed first and then the SOWP, since they allowed us to apply for both of these together, and the SOWP validity would depend on the BOWP. Was it a mistake or should we raise this issue with IRCC? I understand that a 6-month validity is required but then why do they allow the spouse to apply for a SOWP with the BOWP application?

Thank you!

achin06

Star Member
Oct 4, 2019
Hi, I had received Spousal open work permit till Nov 2022 (for 2 years). After 1 month, my company also applied for ICT renewal and I got it approved till Dec 2021. Can someone help to understand if my spousal open work permit is still valid OR it is null and void since I received another work permit although it was different class(ICT renewal).

Raghav54321

Jan 26, 2021
Any update on work permit approvals...Has anyone got any approval recently???
I have got my work permit under gts category approved on 5th March 2021. Sent my passport for stamping which reached ircc on 16th March and waiting from then to get my passport back with stamped visa
(My wife also applied with me for open work permit she recieved back her passport on 22 March)

20canada20

Aug 25, 2020
Hi folks, my spouse wants to apply for the SOWP (spouse open work permit) but I ticked that she will not accompany me as I filled my closed work permit application (a few months ago) since she was about to get her PR, but it takes much longer than expected so she needs a new visa.

1. I think she is still elligible to get the SOWP but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm?
  2. As well in her SOWP application, they ask "Are you accompanying a family member?" Should she tick "yes" or "no" in this case? --> With a yes they ask for my WP, with a no they only ask for our common law proofs, which sounds weird to us.
I will be infinitely greatful for any help on this matter!

Mar 30, 2021
Hi, I applied for my wife's Open Work Permit from India online.
Nov 19 - applied
Dec 2 - medical request
Dec 6 - biometrics request
Dec 12 - passport request
Dec 17 - status change to application approved.

As shown the processing time 5 weeks on website.
This was done in 4 weeks.

Hope your all files get done faster guys.
If you applied yourself could you please provide the document list

Agni Sharma

Star Member
May 19, 2021
Hello everyone,

I applied for my wife from INDIA in Mar 2021. Is Anybody noticing any status change in their application ?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I applied for my Study Permit with our 4 kids in February 2021 without my husband because he would not have been able to travel with us for May 2021 intake. We got our permits approved in April but I deferred till September 2021. . My husband then put in his application for SOWP on May 11th.

Timeline is:
Application Submitted: May 11th
Biometric: Already done in 2017 for visit visa
Medical: Upfront
Medical Updated: May 19th

Then no movement at all on the application until:

June 24th: Eligibility review started AND BVL received
June 25th: PPR

Application from South Africa.

Reactions: Agni Sharma

Agni Sharma

Star Member
May 19, 2021
I applied for my Study Permit with our 4 kids in February 2021 without my husband because he would not have been able to travel with us for May 2021 intake. We got our permits approved in April but I deferred till September 2021. . My husband then put in his application for SOWP on May 11th.

Timeline is:
Application Submitted: May 11th
Biometric: Already done in 2017 for visit visa
Medical: Upfront
Medical Updated: May 19th

Then no movement at all on the application until:

June 24th: Eligibility review started AND BVL received
June 25th: PPR

Application from South Africa.
Congratulations :)

Reactions: wonderbly