+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

MUPAX

May 3, 2016
A very big thanks to fkl for being super active and taking time out for each specific query being thrown here. As an Indian, I appreciate the fact you have helped people irrespective of their place of origin. Not a common sight but rather should be, given that we were same folks 60 years back.

I would also like to thank folks like nshakelly, GreenHak, Ashpur88, Vishal04 etc who have replied in this thread to highlight some helpful fact at one time or the other.

I am sharing my timelines here for reference:
Visa Application Submitted @ VFS New Delhi - 11th May 2016
Application Sent to Canadian Consulate - 12th May 2016
Visa Stamped - 14th May 2016
Passport Returned (to VFS by consulate) - 17th May 2016
Passport picked up - 18th May 2016

In summary, it was a paper application for Study Permit with Coop for myself and Spouse Work Permit for my wife. I made sure that the applications went in the same docket from VFS. Docket is same folder or pouch or bag that VFS sends per application.
Got both stamped passports with respective letters of introduction in exactly a week.

We had got the medical examination done in April 2nd week and had also obtained the Police Clearance Certificates in April itself.
While I will not discuss the list of documents that i had submitted since they are already discussed before on this thread by other folks, I do recommend writing a cover letter for each application. Specially for the spouse work permit, have documents that go with your story of why she wants to work in Canada and then why return back.

All the best to genuine set of applicants (since a lot of fraudulent activities take place for this destination, the consulate is just working to keep the country's interests safe).
Thanks,
M

b4ahmad

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
FKL and senior members,

I applied for my SOWP in Jan-2016, and I got refusal couple of days back. In the refusal letter it says,

" I am not satisfied that you have answered all the questions truthfully, as required by subsection 16(1) of the act. Specifically I am not satisfied that the following information is truthful,
Previous refusals to other countries."

Subsection 16(1) has following wording

"Obligation — answer truthfully 16 (1) A person who makes an application must answer truthfully all questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.​"

From these words, I am decoding that whenever a VO request for info, we must submit that, and if we fail to produce such documentation that VO needs, only then he can refuse our application.

Based on this assumption, I am thinking to write an email to Islamabad office of CIC requesting reconsideration of for my SOWP application. I would write that we never received any communication from VO requesting this info. and that the act is not applied in a correct way in our case. And as per R205(c)(ii) she is eligible for SOWP.

Background:
In the form IMM1295, I selected "yes" to the question - Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?​
and supplied information related to previous TRV refusals for Canada. I forgot to add information related to her visitor visa refusal for USA. Again I think I have answered this question truthfully, as there is "OR", which means if I answered about Canada, technically, I have answered the question as per law.

I have two questions,

1) Should I sent email to CIC Islamabad office requesting reconsideration for my SOWP, because the act has been applied in incorrect way in our case, or simply should I reapply for her SOWP again?

2) I applied for my wife SOWP and son's TRV together, online, but my son's application is still "OPEN" If you recommended to reapply for my SOWP in question-1, should I reapply for my son's TRV also along with SOWP? Or just apply SOWP and wait for son's TRV outcome?

Would really appreciate your comments,

Regards

MUPAX

May 3, 2016
b4ahmad said:
I have two questions,

1) Should I sent email to CIC Islamabad office requesting reconsideration for my SOWP, because the act has been applied in incorrect way in our case, or simply should I reapply for her SOWP again?

2) I applied for my wife SOWP and son's TRV together, online, but my son's application is still "OPEN" If you recommended to reapply for my SOWP in question-1, should I reapply for my son's TRV also along with SOWP? Or just apply SOWP and wait for son's TRV outcome?
Since you had applied online, i recommend that you write the explanation in the response to the details of rejection sent to you. As such there is no harm in it. If it works, then it will save some of your time. Else a fresh application with all the possible details seems like the last option.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
ashpur88 said:
Did you make it clear in your application that it is a spousal application? Did you explicitly mention in your cover letter that your spouse is a full-time student in Canada? What did you mention in the field where it asks for employer details?

The issue is that the form for SOWP Student, SOWP Worker, and OWP are the same. Its the applicants responsibility to clearly convey to the VO which category they fall into. I would recommend you to call out the fact that your spouse is a student in bold in your cover letter. Also, in the field where it asks for employer details, mention "SOWP - SPOUSE IS A STUDENT".
Couldn't say any better +1

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
MUPAX said:
A very big thanks to fkl for being super active and taking time out for each specific query being thrown here. As an Indian, I appreciate the fact you have helped people irrespective of their place of origin. Not a common sight but rather should be, given that we were same folks 60 years back.

I would also like to thank folks like nshakelly, GreenHak, Ashpur88, Vishal04 etc who have replied in this thread to highlight some helpful fact at one time or the other.

I am sharing my timelines here for reference:
Visa Application Submitted @ VFS New Delhi - 11th May 2016
Application Sent to Canadian Consulate - 12th May 2016
Visa Stamped - 14th May 2016
Passport Returned (to VFS by consulate) - 17th May 2016
Passport picked up - 18th May 2016

In summary, it was a paper application for Study Permit with Coop for myself and Spouse Work Permit for my wife. I made sure that the applications went in the same docket from VFS. Docket is same folder or pouch or bag that VFS sends per application.
Got both stamped passports with respective letters of introduction in exactly a week.

We had got the medical examination done in April 2nd week and had also obtained the Police Clearance Certificates in April itself.
While I will not discuss the list of documents that i had submitted since they are already discussed before on this thread by other folks, I do recommend writing a cover letter for each application. Specially for the spouse work permit, have documents that go with your story of why she wants to work in Canada and then why return back.

All the best to genuine set of applicants (since a lot of fraudulent activities take place for this destination, the consulate is just working to keep the country's interests safe).
Thanks,
M
You are most welcome. Since you mentioned, I never saw any reason (even when I lived and worked in Pakistan to think that way). Nor do I know people who would be of that lot. I have seen some in India (and Pakistan) doing that. But usually reasons are more around limited education and background being the cause.

I think its been more than 10 years I have worked in multinationals with offices and employees every where. Some of my best and closest colleagues have been from all places in the world including India. So my responses and opinions aren't tied to history or geography for a second :)

Coming back to the applications part, I remembered the frustrations I had (owning to procedural flaws in local embassy) despite my case back then being a crystal clear strong one. In course of time, I learnt a lot and realized how vital it is to understand how these things worked and realized the value it contributed to others.

So just started offloading the info I had and encourage others to do the same. Many people do and great that you have followed the same path.

It makes life a lot easier for many people. So let's keep helping where we can.

Its a long journey to settle in Canada. study / work / trvs / PR / citizenship. At times, getting first job in your profession at the same level is harder than immigration.

So forum is a great resource to help others where we can.

Let's keep that going where we can and thanks for your kind words.

Oh - and congrats on your case and +1 for sharing the details with others for guidance.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
b4ahmad said:
FKL and senior members,

I applied for my SOWP in Jan-2016, and I got refusal couple of days back. In the refusal letter it says,

" I am not satisfied that you have answered all the questions truthfully, as required by subsection 16(1) of the act. Specifically I am not satisfied that the following information is truthful,
Previous refusals to other countries."

Subsection 16(1) has following wording

"Obligation — answer truthfully 16 (1) A person who makes an application must answer truthfully all questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.​"

From these words, I am decoding that whenever a VO request for info, we must submit that, and if we fail to produce such documentation that VO needs, only then he can refuse our application.

Based on this assumption, I am thinking to write an email to Islamabad office of CIC requesting reconsideration of for my SOWP application. I would write that we never received any communication from VO requesting this info. and that the act is not applied in a correct way in our case. And as per R205(c)(ii) she is eligible for SOWP.

Background:
In the form IMM1295, I selected "yes" to the question - Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?​
and supplied information related to previous TRV refusals for Canada. I forgot to add information related to her visitor visa refusal for USA. Again I think I have answered this question truthfully, as there is "OR", which means if I answered about Canada, technically, I have answered the question as per law.

I have two questions,

Would really appreciate your comments,

Regards
Sorry to hear that.

But if we go by your logic of inference, one person having 3 refusals to different places would be okay by ONLY mentioning one from Canada.

That is certainly NOT the case. I am not a lawyer but the ONLY meaning above clause needs to be interpreted with is - mention all refusals you ever had to any where.

It doesn't make any sense to write an AND there. It means any and all refusals whether were in Canada OR another country. So it cannot use an AND there.

Of course you can always submit a request for reconsideration, but I I would be amazed if they accept it.

Fact is you made a mistake. Knowingly or unknowingly - CIC has no way of knowing (neither have I).

The way I see it, CIC has rules, you missed one and got penalized for it. We are not judges. So my advice.

1. Simply address the issue and reapply with a polite cover letter explaining it.

2. May be they are holding back your son's application - hoping you not to waste money on two applications. So submit your spouse application again fixing this issue also mentioning your son's app and hopefully you would be through for both. Do it fast.

P.S. I hope you do realize that this mistake could have caused you misrepresentation and being banned for some time. I guess because you mentioned one refusal and not other, the visa officer was being kind and considered it a genuine mistake (which is why you have the option to reapply). Had it been one refusal and you forgot to mention that (I am sorry that's what people always say and we have no way of knowing), you would have received a misrepresentation.

fadii

Apr 10, 2016
Hi All,
I have a quick question...i just had my spouse's upfront medical done and the application was submitted online back in February. The Migration health unit gave 2 papers which they told us to send to CIC and the reports they will send directly. So i need to ask how do i send those to CIC means where i am suppose to email them.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

hassan.arif

Star Member
Aug 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ISLAMABAD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
File Transfer...
19-05-2015
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
UPFRONT
VISA ISSUED...
06-08-2015
LANDED..........
04-09-2015
Hi,
I applied paper based on 12 January to Visa Office Islamabad with upfront medical. My wife got an email in mid April to submit spouse fall semester transcript and we submitted. Then 4 days back she got a call from embassy inquiring about upfront medical that have you submitted along with application and if did then what was its date. But she didnt remember the date and told them that she gave it in month of november. So they said alright we will find our self....... Is this a positive thing? if this is positive then how much time do they take when they reach on medical stage?????

Thanks....

b4ahmad

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
hassan.arif said:
Hi,
I applied paper based on 12 January to Visa Office Islamabad with upfront medical. My wife got an email in mid April to submit spouse fall semester transcript and we submitted. Then 4 days back she got a call from embassy inquiring about upfront medical that have you submitted along with application and if did then what was its date. But she didnt remember the date and told them that she gave it in month of november. So they said alright we will find our self....... Is this a positive thing? if this is positive then how much time do they take when they reach on medical stage?????

Thanks....
I think that is absolutely positive thing. Usually when they ask for medical, i.e. there is positive outcome. You should have a copy from IOM office for upfront medicals, just scan it and send it to islamabad office.
I think within few weeks you will hear a good news. Best of luck. Update here.

regards

b4ahmad

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
Thanks FKL,

You are right, there could be more dangerous outcomes for my application. I am going to reapply paper based, and will mention all these details, that it was honest mistake, not to mention refusals from USA. I will attach photocopies of the same documents that I submitted online. Namely,
My job letter, bank statements and T4's, resume.
Wife's resume, her educational documents, experience letter copies and property evaluation certificates.

Do you recommend any other document to be attached with this application?

Thanks for your valuable input.

hassan.arif

Star Member
Aug 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ISLAMABAD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
File Transfer...
19-05-2015
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
UPFRONT
VISA ISSUED...
06-08-2015
LANDED..........
04-09-2015
Thanks B4ahmed, i hope everything in your case favors you and your spouse and kid get visa soon.......

lakshmikoppala

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
ashpur88 said:
You can send a case specific inquiry using the below link
Thank you for the details once again.We have shown some funds in bank account for the spouse work permit process.Should we continue to show them until we get our visa in hand or just getting the medicals.Is there any problem if we remove some funds ?Till what time we have to keep the same amount of funds ?

guru1313

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
NOC A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/01/2017
Med's Done....
09/01/2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Any report from Chandigarh

jesilette_14

Nov 16, 2015
Hi :)

I am currently residing here in Abu Dhabi and still gathering docs for my SOWP application online.

One thing i want to know is that - can i apply from my country of citizenship (Philippines) even i am currently in UAE... because when i checked on CIC processing time of WP, Philippines will take 3mos. processing while UAE is 6mos.