+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

Ammu95

Aug 14, 2019
Hi, I am from Vancouver, my studies will be over by August, and will apply for my PGWP. My husband is here, so can he extend his work permit with me? I heard that I need a B-level job as a requirement to extend his work permit otherwise he can only do it after I obtain my work permit. If he is doing the second option he needs to go back to India and apply for a work permit from there. So is there any requirement existing that the principal partner should have a b-level job to apply for her partner's work permit?

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hi, I am from Vancouver, my studies will be over by August, and will apply for my PGWP. My husband is here, so can he extend his work permit with me? I heard that I need a B-level job as a requirement to extend his work permit otherwise he can only do it after I obtain my work permit. If he is doing the second option he needs to go back to India and apply for a work permit from there. So is there any requirement existing that the principal partner should have a b-level job to apply for her partner's work permit?
Yes you cannot extend his SOWP unless you have a NOC 0/A/B job

Read on the canada.ca website

Rany88

Nov 11, 2021
Hi, I applied for open work permit for my wife along with the sponsorship application on May 2022 in Canada by paper, Her open work permit was approved today, I saw the notice online, only one line message saying your application is approved as of today for 2 years, Now, what should we do? wait for open work permit to arrive by mail? are they sending it by mail?
I also applied to extend her stay as a visitor, and that application is in process, should I withdraw that one since her work permit is been approved?
She has her sponsorship is process as well. already did her medical.

Thank you for your help.

Rany88

Nov 11, 2021
Ohh okkk..Thanks for the response!
no problem, May I ask one question, Im not still 100% sure,
my wife came with visitor visa, her 6 months stay will be expired in August, we applied to extend her stay as a visitor as well for PR and SOWP, now she got her SOWP approved, do you know if that means she doesnt need the application for extending her stay as a visitor any more?
thank you

Miracle2018

Jan 3, 2018
no problem, May I ask one question, Im not still 100% sure,
my wife came with visitor visa, her 6 months stay will be expired in August, we applied to extend her stay as a visitor as well for PR and SOWP, now she got her SOWP approved, do you know if that means she doesnt need the application for extending her stay as a visitor any more?
thank you
I don't have much information on the visitor visa so cannot comment on it. You can post your query on this and other relevant threads and maybe the experts can provide their two cents.