+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

MSCS21

Star Member
Nov 11, 2020
Hi all
My wife currenty studying in canada and i want to apply for SOWP , can anyone tell me it is benificial to put file from canada or not ?
some guys are saying that files from canada process earlier then the india is it true?
how to put file from canada

Agni Sharma

Star Member
May 19, 2021
Somebody In my known received PPR request yesterday who applied last year in March 2020.
All the best everyone whosoever are waiting :)

Aug 6, 2021
Hi,
My wife's org has applied for a Closed WP for her and Open WP for me. Does any one know if she looses her job does that make my work permit invalid also?
i.e. if the Closed WP is invalid, is the Open Work Permit for the spouse also invalid. Am I still allowed to work with the Open Work Permit?

Aug 11, 2021
Hi,

My spouse is working in NOC-A paid bi-monthly earning around 70k cad annually starting from June 2021 under PGWP. We are thinking of applying for SOWP. We were in relationship for 4 years and got married in march 2021. My spouse stayed for about a week after our marriage and had to return because of increasing COVID-19 travel restrictions. I am a software developer in India with 3+ years of experience. My salary is around 550 CAD monthly approx. I have income tax returns for last 3 years. I don't have salary slips but can get a salary certificate of last six months from my company. I have few questions -

1. Should I wait or apply for the SOWP ? If wait then Y?
2. I have around 6500 cad in my account and around 20000 cad in my spouse's account. Will more funds in my spouse and less in mine have impact on SOWP application?
3. I don't have any asset under my name. However my family owns land. What to show for home ties?
4. Is our marriage old enough (5 months)? I have proofs of our relationship prior to marriage, should I add those ?
5. Apart from being with my spouse, should I specify in my SOP I would also work in Canada as IT market has lot of requirement?
6. What is the approval rate?

Thanks in advance

miucchi

Aug 11, 2021
Hi. I just want to ask about my application. My husband and I applied from Japan. He is a Japanese, I'm a non-Japanese. He applied for an employer specific work permit, while an open work permit for me. We applied on July 14. His application got approved on August 5. Mine is still processing. May I ask for an idea how long it will take for mine to have a decision? Here's what I see in the IRCC account.

Application status: We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
  • Review of eligibility: We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
  • Review of medical results: July 23, 2021 You passed the medical exam.
  • Review of additional documents: We do not need additional documents.
  • Interview: You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
  • Biometrics: July 20, 2021 Completed.
  • Background check: We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
  • Final decision: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
My wife's org has applied for a Closed WP for her and Open WP for me. Does any one know if she looses her job does that make my work permit invalid also?
i.e. if the Closed WP is invalid, is the Open Work Permit for the spouse also invalid. Am I still allowed to work with the Open Work Permit?
That is a strange question. If there is any chance that there isn’t need for your wife’s services then her employer should not be applying for the WP and the employer is required to update IRCC about any changes in demand before a WP holder lands. If you both arrive and she is quickly laid off or she quits IRCC will look into whether this was a WP filed under false pretenses in order for you to secure a WP, work in Canada and then file for PR. If your wife comes
to Canada and works and the company she works has to lay off people due to change In demand then yes you can keep working.

Sam Ghm

Feb 8, 2021
Hi everybody!

I am soon going to withdraw from my PhD program; my spouse came with me with an OWP based on my PhD study permit. Now, I know that once you withdraw from school, you have 90 days to leave Canada.

My question is:
once I withdraw from school, can my partner keep working for some of these 90 days on her OWP?

Example: "I withdraw on March 10, can my partner keep working until May 10?"

Thanks!
Hi. Did your partner had to leave Canada together with you or she could stay until the expiry of her work permit. Please suggest, I am in a similar situation. Thanks

Vasudeva12

Aug 17, 2021
I have applied Spouse open work permit and Visitor visa to my kid(4 years old) on Mar 2021. Only Biometric is passed. No other updates. My Current Work permit will ends on Nov 2021, I am yet to apply the extension.

Whether IRCC Process my SOWP and Visitor Visa to my kid now? In case if they process How long it will be given?
As per "New Instructions from IRCC for Visitor VISA - applications before 7th Sep 2021 for Family re union" - Can I re-apply under this recommendation?

Reactions: arunesh.vikram

arunesh.vikram

Dec 31, 2019
Saskatoon
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
24-07-2020
Nomination.....
05-02-2020
AOR Received.
27-01-2021
Med's Done....
30-08-2021
Passport Req..
19-01-2022
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2022
LANDED..........
28-01-2022
I have applied Spouse open work permit and Visitor visa to my kid(4 years old) on Mar 2021. Only Biometric is passed. No other updates. My Current Work permit will ends on Nov 2021, I am yet to apply the extension.

Whether IRCC Process my SOWP and Visitor Visa to my kid now? In case if they process How long it will be given?
As per "New Instructions from IRCC for Visitor VISA - applications before 7th Sep 2021 for Family re union" - Can I re-apply under this recommendation?
Similar situation & nearly similar timelines. Let me know what you think we can do now?

MRW

Jan 22, 2021
My husband applied for his PGWP from outside Canada in December 2020 and he is still waiting for the same. I flew to Canada on my study permit recently.
If he applies for an SOWP based on my study permit, how long will the whole process take? Also, will it affect his current PGWP application in any way?