+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

hny2309

Sep 26, 2016
Hi fkl,

My studies are almost done. This is my last semester and almost done with my fees.

i have a lease document for a apartment on my name and i can show $6k in my account.

The only issue i have is that she cannot show funds in her account.

Regarding my fee, i will try to get a statement from my college for the receipts of the previous 4 semesters that i have already paid.

Let me know if anything else can make my case more strong.

hopeful.ad

Jan 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Novascotia, sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 23, 2015
Nomination.....
September, 2015
AOR Received.
March 11, 2016
IELTS Request
already submitted
Med's Request
Nov 02nd
Med's Done....
Nov 23rd
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
already in Canada
My status changed to "updated" but all things are same. what is it mean?

Sanman91

Sep 26, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Jan 2016
File Transfer...
Feb 2016
hopeful.ad said:
My status changed to "updated" but all things are same. what is it mean?
Where you see that "UPDATE" written?
As in front of status ?

hopeful.ad

Jan 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Novascotia, sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 23, 2015
Nomination.....
September, 2015
AOR Received.
March 11, 2016
IELTS Request
already submitted
Med's Request
Nov 02nd
Med's Done....
Nov 23rd
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
already in Canada
Sanman91 said:
Where you see that "UPDATE" written?
As in front of status ?
yes

Sanman91

Sep 26, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Jan 2016
File Transfer...
Feb 2016
hopeful.ad said:
You mean to say instead of open now it shows updates

Netz

Star Member
Sep 30, 2015
hello Friends,
I really need your help to resolve this issue which I'm facing with my wife open work permit.

My wife 1st visa was rejected on 27th April 2016 - paper based application from Mumbai (India). reason for refusal was that she did not have the LMIA letter. after the careful review of the application I had made and after taking advice from FKL I got to know the mistake I had made while making the application. I had mentioned her Intended place of work.(when she had no offer letter)
So after correcting the mistake I made my paper based application again.

2nd attempt was recently rejected on 27th of Sept 2016.

Reason being for refusal : The immigration officer was not satisfied that she would leave after her stay because of her ties in Canada and in her home country.

2nd: She is not allowed to apply for an Open Work permit cuz her spouse(that's me) is not applicable to apply for one.

I have completed my studies in Canada and I have 3 yrs work permit expiring 2018 and I'm working as a Line Cook in a Restaurant which falls into the mentioned category of NOC B. I had attached my pay slips, Letter of employment, List of duties as well.

I would want to apply again ASAP for her Visa. but now I don't know which route should I take: I'm left with 3 choices:

1st: Apply again for an open work permit. ( how would I be applicable to do so now?)

2nd: Apply for her TRV - How would I satisfy the IMM officer that she would leave the country after her duration with me.

3rd: Apply for a tourist visa..

I really need help in this case please reply to me with all possible suggestion. I would really appreciate your Help..

aaaaaaaaaaa

Aug 26, 2016
HI

I HAVE APPLIED FOR MY WIFE SOWP IN MAY2,2016 FROM CANADA ONLINE BUT THE STATUS SHOWS NOT STARTED.
WHAT DOES THIS MEANS ITS MORE THAN FOR MONTHS THEY HAVE NOT EVEN UPDATED FILE ONCE.
WHAT IS THE ACTUAL PROCESSING TIME FOR THIS.

THANKS
VIC

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
balaprasad123 said:
Hi fkl,
Thx for ur input.

The only thing hesitates me to apply for sowp is the processing time(14 weeks) and the outcome is not guaranteed.

So if I apply for sowp what about my kid's case.Can I apply TRV along with my sowp application?
Well that's your only choice i.e. show intention of stay of 6 months or longer and apply SOWP.

Your kid would get TRV with visitor record.

Actually (and i have explained this many times), problem is not SOWP vs TRV.

Problem is short term stay vs long term stay (6 months or more).

A - Visitor visa - does not require medicals, processed faster, only allows max six months and doesn't get you health care in Canada. Mainly is suitable for actual VISITORs.

B - SOWP / TRV with visitor record - require medicals, longer processing time, would stay as long as principal spouse is in Canada and would get you health care. It is intended for spouse / kids etc. of a person who is working / studying in Canada usually for longer than 6 months.

You fall in category B. Any attempt with A would likely get a refusal. You can apply for B - TRV for your kid and SOWP for your spouse. Technically you can still apply for B - TRV for your spouse saying stay of longer than 6 months. But then it has all the same requirements as of SOWP, and just wont grant him/her the right to work here. So why not get an open work permit too, even if you don't intend to work here.

If your child is 6+ / school going age, you can apply for Open study permit instead.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Netz said:
hello Friends,
I really need your help to resolve this issue which I'm facing with my wife open work permit.

Reason being for refusal : The immigration officer was not satisfied that she would leave after her stay because of her ties in Canada and in her home country.

2nd: She is not allowed to apply for an Open Work permit cuz her spouse(that's me) is not applicable to apply for one.
Hi Netz,

I am not sure why she is not allowed to apply for work permit, if you have a NOC B job with detailed proof.

You should get your GCMS notes. Type of application is not as relevant. There is probably some thing negative in your profile which might show up in gcms notes. Still you shouldn't apply for visitor visa. Your wife doesn't want to come here on a short trip. She intends to live with you. This is your true and rightful intent... stick to that.

drnadiaj

Star Member
Aug 19, 2016
fkl said:
Hi Netz,

I am not sure why she is not allowed to apply for work permit, if you have a NOC B job with detailed proof.

You should get your GCMS notes. Type of application is not as relevant. There is probably some thing negative in your profile which might show up in gcms notes. Still you shouldn't apply for visitor visa. Your wife doesn't want to come here on a short trip. She intends to live with you. This is your true and rightful intent... stick to that.
hey to all and fkl ,
i really need a huge help pleaseeee do reply .

1: i am in Pakistan applying for my student visa in Oct but class gona start in April ,here usually time processing is 12 weeks but ppl get it even after 3-4 months .my big question is i got married in jab so i want to take my spouse with me.my study period is almost 2 years i am a dentist and i am currently employed too so as my husband he is towards marketing and advertising done his Mba here in home country .we visit Usa for 2 month came back exit that country and wants to apply from my home country for canada student visa.
should i apply owp with my student application? or should i apply TRV for him ?i am confused cuz ppl told me if i apply student and he owp it might get rejected ? but why when they allow spouse to work on open permit?

2: if i apply trv and spouse if we get visas and land in Canada ,how much time it will take to convert his trv into owp he has to do some job and support me there .
3: or should i take risk to apply his owp as conversion from inside Canada takes may be alot of time till then he cant do job.

rabrakha

Champion Member
Dec 4, 2013
chandigarh
Visa Office......
chandigarh
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Ainp applied 18 may 2016, File No July,15, 2016. PR applied 29 dec 2016
Doc's Request.
August 22, 2016
Nomination.....
28 Sep 2016
AOR Received.
AOR PR 15 feb 2017
IELTS Request
6(R-5.5,W-6,S-6,L-6.5)
File Transfer...
5-dec-2013-GENERAL-UNIERSITY
Med's Request
pre medical done
Med's Done....
PR Med 8 Jan 2018
Interview........
Study visa 31-dec-2013
Passport Req..
PPR PP req and DM: sep 12, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
31-dec-2013
LANDED..........
13-january-2014, PR Landing: 7 Oct,2018
Hi all
I am going to apply for an open work prmit for my wife. We got married last year . I was studying atvghat time and she applied for a visitor visa but got refused. After 1 year 3 months she is going to apply for open work permit. She is working as a software engineer since 2012 in india. I am working in noc 2281 B . My annual salary is 35100 cad.
Please let me know the required documents i need to fill and supportive documenta i need to attach.

Is my annual income suffecient?

drnadiaj

Star Member
Aug 19, 2016
drnadiaj said:
hey to all and fkl ,

1: i am in Pakistan applying for my student visa in Oct but class gona start in April ,here usually time processing is 12 weeks but ppl get it even after 3-4 months .my big question is i got married in jab so i want to take my spouse with me.my study period is almost 2 years i am a dentist and i am currently employed too so as my husband he is towards marketing and advertising done his Mba here in home country .we visit Usa for 2 month came back exit that country and wants to apply from my home country for canada student visa.
should i apply owp with my student application? or should i apply TRV for him ?i am confused cuz ppl told me if i apply student and he owp it might get rejected ? but why when they allow spouse to work on open permit?

2: if i apply trv and spouse if we get visas and land in Canada ,how much time it will take to convert his trv into owp he has to do some job and support me there .
3: or should i take risk to apply his owp as conversion from inside Canada takes may be alot of time till then he cant do job.
also if i apply owp for my spouse ,should i submit his bank statements too /if yes then how much in cad dollar?i am submitting my own around 18k and my sponsor statement too for my 1st year fees around 25k.is that enough or should i submit his bank statements too ????

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
drnadiaj said:
hey to all and fkl ,

Study permit for yourself and OWP for spouse is the only right option if you wish to apply for both.

People consider chances of refusal, because if you apply alone, your spouse remains in home country which serves as a strong tie for you.

So yes chances of both being approved together are slightly lower, but it depends upon your over all profile as well as that of your spouse, if it is good enough, you both might very well get it.

So it comes down to your choice, if coming to Canada is really important to you, so much that you are willing to come even if you have to live away from your spouse for a while (could be years), you are okay with that
VERSUS, you would only come if your spouse can come.

If you wanna play safe, apply alone.

Again they allow spouse on open work permit IF you have enough funds, strong past education / work profile, so a visa officer is convinced that you wont stay illegally in Canada if you dont file a valid extension. Also (thanks to our past pakistanis deeds), they also evaluate if you are the type who would come to canada, throw your passports away and claim a refugee. I know it sounds rude, but unfortunately enough Pakis have done this, so we can't really blame CIC and they really don't have a way of knowing, except evaluating your over all profile.

Generally people with good education and jobs in Pakistan have no issues.

His case is not that of visitor visa, so please dont waste an application on TRV and getting unwanted refusals. He is your spouse and unless he is applying for coming to Canada for a totally unrelated reason like his employer sponsors him for a conference or a customer visit or something, TRV is not the type of application for him and would likely get refused.

His TRV won't be processed before yours as your dependent. Getting work permit from inside Canada isn't that hard being your dependent assuming you have funds. But getting first time TRV is close to impossible given your situation.

Also see my earlier post describing two types of trvs (short term visitor trv versus longer term trv with visitor record).

If you are applying for his SOWP along, you definitely need funds for him for one year of stay. So those should be in his account. I don't really think it matters if it is in CAD or not. CIC in Pakistan can do rate conversions approximately.

If i remember correctly the amount required is some where between 6-10k CAD for him. This is in addition to your fee and cost of living for the year. So you better separate each of those out clearly in the application.