+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
Every1 should visit this link n put ur complaint there in the feedback fform choose processing times and write ur msg.

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/feedback-retroaction/feedback-retroaction-eng.aspx?_ga=1.26476469.921500666.1469470090

hiransiddharth

Dec 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-03-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2016
Nomination.....
15-03-2016
AOR Received.
08-08-2016 (CIC RECVD FILE ON 17TH May)
Med's Request
08-06-2017
Med's Done....
08-20-2017
yadav said:
Every1 should visit this link n put ur complaint there in the feedback fform choose processing times and write ur msg.

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/feedback-retroaction/feedback-retroaction-eng.aspx?_ga=1.26476469.921500666.1469470090
I Just did my part.... :)

Regards,
Sid

OWP2015Dec

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Vishrut1987 said:
Hi..
I am from India, and want to apply for a student visa, since I am married, I would like to take my wife along with me.
Should I apply together for both the applications ie student visa and open work permit..
In Check your eligibility tool, they showed
Supporting documents
Purpose of travel - other ie getting a temporary work permit..

My doubt is whether TRV and open work permit same because i selected open work permit for my wife then also they showed TRV applicaition for my wife..

If someone could just help me in the process plz....
Hi, I read somewhere that its better if both apply together since it demonstrates full transparency. I'm not sure if its right, but sounds logical to me.

As regards OWP / TRV, I am assuming that your spouse is also from India and hence, not eligible for visa waiver. Here's my understanding of the process:

1. Spouse will apply for OWP and that application automatically includes a TRV application. They do not fill out a separate TRV application. The OWP application itself is considered as both OWP and TRV application.

2. If the visa officer decides to grant the OWP to the spouse, they make a passport request (unless the passport has been already been submitted with the paper application).

3. The visa officer then affixes the TRV counterfoil on passport page. The TRV is usually for the same end date as your study permit unless the spouse has applied for a shorter duration OWP.

4. The visa officer also issues a 'Letter of Introduction' which confirms that your Work Permit application is approved.

5. When you land in Canada, you are supposed to show the TRV and the Letter of Introduction to the immigration official who will then issue an Open Work Permit there.

That's about it. You may want to re-check the CIC tool - it ought to generate a package for your Study Permit and your spouse's (Open) Work Permit.

fkl, please correct if I have misstated the process.

OWP2015Dec

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
yadav said:

I understand that it may be frustrating waiting without any idea how long the process will take. I will soon complete 7 months of filing my application. However, sending updates / emails / CSEs frequently may not necessarily achieve the desired result.

I have received a letter asking me to provide further information. Its a lot of documents that I need to put together and so, we'll see how that goes.

I had mentioned on this thread that I sent a Tweet to the Canadian High Commission in my country (through my friend / colleague). It was a public tweet and did not include any of my personal details. The High Commission responded the following day asking me to send an email marked 'URGENT' to the Consulate responsible for processing my application. I sent an email marked URGENT to the Consulate on Monday. In the email, we explained our circumstances. I have now received the letter asking me to provide further information.

Please try doing the same with the Canadian High Commission in India. Please make sure that you are politely requesting an update. Hopefully, you might hear from them soon.

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
OWP2015Dec,

I did direct message canada in india but they never responded and it seems very unusual to post a tweet on their page directly. though if u suggest will do that. but also i did tweet last night to cic canada pade but they dnt seem to reply now. all they ask is to make a cse.

OWP2015Dec

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
yadav said:
OWP2015Dec,

I did direct message canada in india but they never responded and it seems very unusual to post a tweet on their page directly. though if u suggest will do that. but also i did tweet last night to cic canada pade but they dnt seem to reply now. all they ask is to make a cse.
Hi Yadav, I was sharing my experience. Don't know if anyone has any good answers on what approach will work :), otherwise I'm sure we would have found out in this forum. Sometimes, it might be trial and error. Last week, my wife said 'give others an opportunity to respond'. I felt I have given several months to respond :)

Ultimately, the amount of communication that should be done is subjective and we need to strike the right balance. We want to ensure that they hear our call for help. However, we also want to not distract officers from their work.

I hope that everyone gets a decision soon because one feels that one's whole life is on hold.

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
OWP2015Dec,

That's the real problem with wives they will simply ask u to wait n wait anyway i did cse on my wifes name to delhi office specific wen i filled the web form. Even gave an authorization to share information with her. But we never got any automated reply.

Wat do u suggest we wait for them to respond? or drop an email direct? just feel afraid to poke them so frequently, only want to remind them we r waiting too.

Mp also said they r willing to follow up every month for us since we r so sad.

OWP2015Dec

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
yadav said:
OWP2015Dec,

what further documentation they r asking? seems like lawyer didnt do ther work properly.
Lots of information required to put everything together. I will let you know the details later. Maybe the lawyer did the work or maybe they didn't. I checked at the time of filing and thought I provided everything.

OWP2015Dec

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
yadav said:
OWP2015Dec,

That's the real problem with wives they will simply ask u to wait n wait anyway i did cse on my wifes name to delhi office specific wen i filled the web form. Even gave an authorization to share information with her. But we never got any automated reply.

Wat do u suggest we wait for them to respond? or drop an email direct? just feel afraid to poke them so frequently, only want to remind them we r waiting too.

Mp also said they r willing to follow up every month for us since we r so sad.
In your case, since the MP followed up with them, they are aware that you are waiting. You're lucky also to have an MP who is willing to follow up every month. In your case specifically, they mentioned that they are doing further review. I suppose its best to wait and find out as time passes by. Also, I suggest you do not put any deadline on yourself - because reality is that you cannot control the outcome and there's not much you can do to influence the outcome.

OWP2015Dec

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
yadav said:
OWP2015Dec,

well wish u gudluck. i hope atleast ur efforts will pay off timely this time.
Thank you Yadav. I hope everyone's efforts pay off and they get a positive outcome. It is going to take weeks for me to get all the information organized. It is really difficult in cases where wife and husband are living separately. Try and stay positive because positive thinking has enormous power.

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
OWP2015Dec,

as u say buddy. this forum just brought a lot of us together which may have no happened otherwise. well gudluck to all n pray for all god bless us all

Vishrut1987

Feb 10, 2016
Thanks OWP2015Dec,
That was really helpful and descriptive...+1
Yes, we got the combined application package, around 400$.

The tool also tells to submit some document for TRV, in this case if we are applying for OWP what document should we submit?
And why are so many consultancy denying to carry my spouse with me, how to move ahead, should i apply myself then and wait .....

OWP2015Dec said:
Hi, I read somewhere that its better if both apply together since it demonstrates full transparency. I'm not sure if its right, but sounds logical to me.

As regards OWP / TRV, I am assuming that your spouse is also from India and hence, not eligible for visa waiver. Here's my understanding of the process:

1. Spouse will apply for OWP and that application automatically includes a TRV application. They do not fill out a separate TRV application. The OWP application itself is considered as both OWP and TRV application.

2. If the visa officer decides to grant the OWP to the spouse, they make a passport request (unless the passport has been already been submitted with the paper application).

3. The visa officer then affixes the TRV counterfoil on passport page. The TRV is usually for the same end date as your study permit unless the spouse has applied for a shorter duration OWP.

4. The visa officer also issues a 'Letter of Introduction' which confirms that your Work Permit application is approved.

5. When you land in Canada, you are supposed to show the TRV and the Letter of Introduction to the immigration official who will then issue an Open Work Permit there.

That's about it. You may want to re-check the CIC tool - it ought to generate a package for your Study Permit and your spouse's (Open) Work Permit.

fkl, please correct if I have misstated the process.

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
Vishrut1987,

all the lawyers and consultants will ask u to refrain from applying together as it holds a huge to risk of both being refused. rather u will be recommended that let student spouse secure the visa first. then u shld only apply wen ur spouse is already in canada.

rest OWP2015Dec can comment more on this.