Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
tjax said:
Thank you for a prompt response. I have a few more specific queries if you may help?
1) How much time did it take for you for the entire process? (Since I have admits from US as well, earlier processing would certainly help me)
2) Since, its a masters program of 2 years and given that I meet all the requirements, can I assume a higher chance of success I take the first option of applying together?
3) I have got 6.5+ years of experience as a Software Developer and currently in a role of Technical lead with an MNC. I have got admit to MEngg in Software Engineering at Concordia. Since I couldnt find much over the forum about reputation, quality and post-masters job opportunities, could please how this program stands on the former parameters?
As long as you can show that you still have ties in your country and that you have enough money for living expenses and your school expenses in Canada, I guess it should be okay. But that's just me. It will all depend on the VO.

It took the application a little over 1 month outside Canada. I think the medical prolonged the whole process, other than that it shouldn't take that long as most of it is done online now.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
tjax said:
Thank you for a prompt response. I have a few more specific queries if you may help?
1) How much time did it take for you for the entire process? (Since I have admits from US as well, earlier processing would certainly help me)
2) Since, its a masters program of 2 years and given that I meet all the requirements, can I assume a higher chance of success I take the first option of applying together?
3) I have got 6.5+ years of experience as a Software Developer and currently in a role of Technical lead with an MNC. I have got admit to MEngg in Software Engineering at Concordia. Since I couldnt find much over the forum about reputation, quality and post-masters job opportunities, could please how this program stands on the former parameters?
Processing primarily depends upon your visa office i.e. what are the current processing times there. In general study visas are approved faster than work permits / resident trvs (visitor records). But if you apply together they usually are processed together as well. Some times, both get done faster if you have a decent case and Visa office is currently not overloaded. But it could also take the same processing time as a standard work permit.

CIC lately said that they would try to distribute work loads between visa offices and individual processing times of each embassy (which greatly vary) would no longer hold. Still I would say that any thing between 1 and 4 months is possible since the above statement is not in your control.

If you apply together you also need to show funds for both. Since you are not getting a job, you have to bring enough money to support both of you for a year. Also you need a slightly stronger profile to qualify as a couple at the same time. What I mean here is that if a single applicant is moving alone and has spouse back home, it also serves as a strong tie of them not illegally overstaying in Canada.

If you go together, they have to see a decent educational and work background in home country to be convinced that you will either extend your stay legally or would come back.

So take your pick. I came here similar circumstances though with some what more experience. But I wasn't coming to study. I had a specialized job offer and I won't have come until my spouse was approved along. But again, having an LMIA approved job offer was a stronger factor than admission to masters. But then again my wife wasn't working in home country and we also brought kids along.

You have to submit your experience letters, pay stubs - basically any thing that shows your earning power specially tied to your profession in home country. That would serve as strong ties.

Regarding reputation of Concordia masters in Software world, well it depends. Montreal doesn't have Top IT jobs in Canada. Plus there is some biasness towards French there. But cost of living is lowest in Canada compared to any big city, by a huge margin.

General warning, Canada has some biases towards foreign experience in the beginning. If you are a really good software engineer, you would make your way through. But first job might be a bit harder.

Of course things get easy, if you have specialized experience that is

a) rare to find in Canada
b) An employer is desperately looking for that particular skill / experience

But the above scenario is not very common. Beyond that you might have to start from scratch i.e. first job might not immediately offer you a senior position. But you would get through the ladder eventually.

An example of specialized experience I meant above is Multicore network processors, SDN etc. which at least I know of being in demand with some employers. Again this is just one example there could be others.

Eventually Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver and bigger IT markets. Cost of living is higher (with no French dependencies) but so are salaries.

Good luck

Update:

I only looked at your first post now. You should be good to apply together (your SP and SOWP). Just remember that it would be hard for your spouse to get an IT security job without knowing French in Montreal. You should be okay to study in Concordia in English but eventually if you want to settle in Montreal or Quebec, you need to learn French.

Don't go the route of applying for TRV first for spouse.

At best it is useless i.e. for a resident trv the evaluation parameters are the same as that for SOWP so why not get approval to work too.
At worst (the most common mistake people make), they request "a short visit of less than six months" (which is the standard visitor trv) and get refused. They think this would be quicker since its processing time is less, does not require medicals, but also does not allow you to stay in Canada longer than 6 months in one go, does not get you health care in Canada and is simply not the right category for a spouse going with a student husband. You see a spouse doesn't just visit for a short time (albeit exceptions). They intend to live together for as long as you are there - possibly get PR.

If you apply with above profile for VISITOR TRV, you would get a refusal sure shot.

kht

Feb 15, 2016
Is this possible after submission of online application to go for medical when and them Via email?

Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
kht said:
Is this possible after submission of online application to go for medical when and them Via email?

Thanks
Probably yes, but it depends at what stage they receive it. Case specific inquiry is better than email. But It could lead to confusion if they already sent you a request for medicals before seeing your medical results sheet.

SukhiVyakti

Mar 17, 2016
Hi GreenHak,

Many thanks for your detailed reply. It helped clear up a lot of questions that we had.

Kind Regards,
Sukhi

GreenHak said:
You are most welcome.

• Online applications are not particularly sent to Country of Citizenship. CIC share it's heavy volume work load to its Visa offices around the world.
    In most cases they send to country of Citizenship. If they send to India, usually they send to Delhi.
  • Your Cousin can apply for study permit in the UK. (Paper Based) Mostly they process paper applications in the country you apply.
  • It is not necessary he have to withdraw his SOWP. But he can save the application fee rite ? Anyway he can hold either SP or SOWP.
  • Having the SOWP already took 2 months without any response, there are two steps remaining in the process.

1) Medical Request (If upfront medical not done)

2) Passport Request.

If he haven't took upfront medical, it will take up to two weeks for CIC to update the records. And another two weeks for passport sending and despatch process. Roughly one month wait time even if he get a medical request today. (Two weeks if medical already done.)
  • So, its up to him to decide what he intend to do in Canada
  • If SOWP is want he want, as him to submit a GCMS notes to get the status in the fixed time of 30 days.

SukhiVyakti

Mar 17, 2016
Hi fkl,

Many thanks for your response. I understood everything you said, except

fkl said:
e) You cannot have a study permit and a full time SOWP at the same time. But if you get a regular study permit based upon gaining admission to an institute, you also get a work permit allowing you to work 20 hours a week. Note that I am not talking about a spouse dependent case - getting a study permit. That would still take the same processing time as a work permit. This is not the case of a direct admission based study visa, so it does not get that processing time frame - period.
Could you please explain this again?

My cousin thought that the owp would be issued in 1 month since it was a fairly straightforward matter. He engaged a fairly reputed immigration agent and provided each one of the documents they asked.

My cousin wants to go to Canada together with his wife as it would be very inconvenient and expensive for them to go separately. Do you foresee any issue if he applies for a study permit even while the owp is in progress? I understood from your statement that he cannot hold both at the same time and that is fine with him. But, if he gets both study and owp approved, can he elect to go with either at the POE depending on his personal circumstances at the time? Or does he have to necessarily go with one versus the other?

Once again, thank you for your help.

Kind Regards,
Sukhi

ashpur88

Star Member
Jun 24, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi fkl,

Could you please share your opinion regarding my question too?

Regards

ashpur88 said:
Hi everyone,

I have submitted SOWP online application for my wife, who is currently working in India. I have uploaded all the documents they asked for in the online application like my Work Permit, Letter stating my NOC, my financial statements and a detailed proof of our relationship.

However, I did not upload her education certificates, her pay stubs from India and her employment letter. I read on the forum that people who did not provide these got their application rejected.

What are my options now? Can I apply again although its been just 1 week since I applied with the first application? I understand I will have to pay the fees again but will it hurt my case when they notice two different applications? Or can I call the CIC call center and ask if they can modify the current application?

Please help. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
SukhiVyakti said:
Hi fkl,

Many thanks for your response. I understood everything you said, except

Could you please explain this again?

My cousin thought that the owp would be issued in 1 month since it was a fairly straightforward matter. He engaged a fairly reputed immigration agent and provided each one of the documents they asked.

My cousin wants to go to Canada together with his wife as it would be very inconvenient and expensive for them to go separately. Do you foresee any issue if he applies for a study permit even while the owp is in progress? I understood from your statement that he cannot hold both at the same time and that is fine with him. But, if he gets both study and owp approved, can he elect to go with either at the POE depending on his personal circumstances at the time? Or does he have to necessarily go with one versus the other?

Once again, thank you for your help.

Kind Regards,
Sukhi
You are most welcome Sukhi.

Your mentioned scenario is doubtful for me. As I understand your cousin intends to get a study permit now

A. I am not sure if he is attempting to apply for Spouse dependent open study permit OR
B. he intends to get admission in some program and apply for study permit on his own without showing him being dependent on his spouse.

If B is the plan, although study permit processing is faster, getting admission while being remote + processing time added, I don't think this would get him the time advantage.
If A is the plan, I am not 100% sure this is allowed by CIC in the first place. Even if they do allow it, being a dependent, its gonna take the same processing time as a work permit. Since his SOWP app is already in process, there is no time benefit of applying for study permit this way now.

What I said in the quoted point E is the situation B above i.e. get admission in some full time program at a Canadian institute on his own and get a study permit. Normally, in such a case, his primary status will be a student. However, he would get a work permit allowing him to work 20 hours a week during his study program and perhaps full time during semester breaks.

As far as I know, CIC won't issue study permits for study programs that are not full time and not at an institution without good reputation with CIC.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
ashpur88 said:
Hi fkl,

Could you please share your opinion regarding my question too?

Regards
Sure ashpur88, send all the additional docs via case specific inquiry.

This is the generic link for CSE
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

This seems to be for New Delhi. If you applied online probably you should use the first one.
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/case-cas-eng.aspx?mission=new%20delhi

Provide all the info you can. Basically submitting spouse's profile (education, work experience, pay stubs etc.) is not a formal requirement else CIC would state so. But they serve as a strong tie - showing he/she is well educated and makes a good career in home country there by unlikely to overstay illegally in Canada. Good luck

ashpur88

Star Member
Jun 24, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot fkl. You are doing a wonderful job of helping people over here!

fkl said:
Sure ashpur88, send all the additional docs via case specific inquiry.

This is the generic link for CSE
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

This seems to be for New Delhi. If you applied online probably you should use the first one.
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/case-cas-eng.aspx?mission=new%20delhi

Provide all the info you can. Basically submitting spouse's profile (education, work experience, pay stubs etc.) is not a formal requirement else CIC would state so. But they serve as a strong tie - showing he/she is well educated and makes a good career in home country there by unlikely to overstay illegally in Canada. Good luck

surya6017

Mar 17, 2016
Hi,

I have been working in British Columbia, Canada since December, 2015 with a temporary work permit. My wife is currently in India and I had applied for her open work permit online post our marriage in January. However, her application was refused because a few documents such as her education certifixates, payslips etc. were missing. I, however, did not see an option to upload these documents in the online application, it only allowed a handful of documents to be uploaded. I would like to know if anyone has done it recently and if so, would like their help with the following questions-

1. For Open work permits outside Canada, Is applying online a valid option? If so, how do I upload the above mentioned supporting documents?

2. Is it a good idea for her to apply for open work permit right away or should we consider a dependent VISA first and apply for the work permit once she is in Canada?

Many thanks in advance.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
surya6017 said:
Hi,

I have been working in British Columbia, Canada since December, 2015 with a temporary work permit. My wife is currently in India and I had applied for her open work permit online post our marriage in January. However, her application was refused because a few documents such as her education certifixates, payslips etc. were missing. I, however, did not see an option to upload these documents in the online application, it only allowed a handful of documents to be uploaded. I would like to know if anyone has done it recently and if so, would like their help with the following questions-

1. For Open work permits outside Canada, Is applying online a valid option? If so, how do I upload the above mentioned supporting documents?

2. Is it a good idea for her to apply for open work permit right away or should we consider a dependent VISA first and apply for the work permit once she is in Canada?

Many thanks in advance.
Create a single pdf containing all of this additional docs and put a Table of contents indicating which doc is where and serves what purpose.

Applying online should be fine / better irrespective of where you are.

There is no reason to consider a trv (that you called dependent visa) instead of a SOWP. Just provide all details and you should be good. It is not an uncommon scenario. People miss docs and get refused, provide all of those and get approved the second time. Good luck

surya6017

Mar 17, 2016
fkl said:
Create a single pdf containing all of this additional docs and put a Table of contents indicating which doc is where and serves what purpose.

Applying online should be fine / better irrespective of where you are.

There is no reason to consider a trv (that you called dependent visa) instead of a SOWP. Just provide all details and you should be good. It is not an uncommon scenario. People miss docs and get refused, provide all of those and get approved the second time. Good luck
Thank you for the response, fkl. This was very helpful. I will re-apply and see how it goes.

SukhiVyakti

Mar 17, 2016
Hi fkl,

Thank you for your reply.

We weren't aware that scenario A was possible. We just thought that my cousin would apply for a study permit on his own.

My cousin would also apply at a designated learning institution that is recognised.

Lastly, if both study and open work permits are approved, can my choose which one to apply for at the POE?

Kind Regards,
Sukhi

fkl said:
You are most welcome Sukhi.

Your mentioned scenario is doubtful for me. As I understand your cousin intends to get a study permit now

A. I am not sure if he is attempting to apply for Spouse dependent open study permit OR
B. he intends to get admission in some program and apply for study permit on his own without showing him being dependent on his spouse.

If B is the plan, although study permit processing is faster, getting admission while being remote + processing time added, I don't think this would get him the time advantage.
If A is the plan, I am not 100% sure this is allowed by CIC in the first place. Even if they do allow it, being a dependent, its gonna take the same processing time as a work permit. Since his SOWP app is already in process, there is no time benefit of applying for study permit this way now.

What I said in the quoted point E is the situation B above i.e. get admission in some full time program at a Canadian institute on his own and get a study permit. Normally, in such a case, his primary status will be a student. However, he would get a work permit allowing him to work 20 hours a week during his study program and perhaps full time during semester breaks.

As far as I know, CIC won't issue study permits for study programs that are not full time and not at an institution without good reputation with CIC.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
SukhiVyakti said:
Hi fkl,

Thank you for your reply.

We weren't aware that scenario A was possible. We just thought that my cousin would apply for a study permit on his own.

My cousin would also apply at a designated learning institution that is recognised.

Lastly, if both study and open work permits are approved, can my choose which one to apply for at the POE?

Kind Regards,
Sukhi
You are most welcome. Just to be sure, I already wrote that but here it is again, I am not certain if scenario A is possible.
Generally it is only allowed for dependent children under 18

If he applies for SP on his own, it involves getting admission and then applying. So if the objective is to get it faster, I am not sure it would give any actual benefit. Applying to an institute and getting admission takes time and SP approvals are often tied to program start dates i.e. they won't hurry in approval if there is many months left in the start of program.

I don't know the answer to second question. Applying for both at the same time is odd in the first place. I don't know even if they would approve both together. There is no clear guideline by CIC about this.

In my opinion, your best bet is to wait for SOWP else you might complicate his case further and get hung / refused for a much longer time.