+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

b4ahmad

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
fkl said:
Ignore any other explanation that you read about this. CIC gave you the correct feedback.

Your son's application is not regular TRV. It is a visitor record (or some times called resident TRV) that has to be included in your online application of PGWP and SOWP. I personally never applied for this separately, but CPC Ottawa does not process these applications. It is the other office (I believe Vigreville, Alberta but am not sure), which processes the PGWP and SOWP that has to process a dependent child visitor record application.

I am not quite sure how these got separated but all 3 of these applications should be processed at the same office.

If you applied through my cic, do you remember what options you choose to indicate your son's application? I suspect that if there was an option to choose visitor record where you might have chosen TRV which caused this submission.
FKL and Imarchuang,

Thank you for your comments. I called CIC call center and they confirmed me that it was a mistake from CIC end. The call center agent took a long time and told me that he is putting my application in right queue now. But when I asked if all 3 of our applications would be processed together or separately, he was not sure about it. He told me that although my application was made inside Canada; most probably it will go through Islamabad office for my wife and kid.

And FKL there was no option on the form for visitor record or TRV, when I filled the online "Come to Canada" questionnaire it showed me the list of documents, and I uploaded all those.
Fingers crossed, praying and hoping for the best.

SukhiVyakti

Mar 17, 2016
Dear fkl,

I want to start by thanking you for selflessly taking the time to answer the questions of so many applicants and their family members.

I have a few question and will be grateful if you can provide some guidance.

My cousin is an Indian national currently in UK with his wife. His wife applied for full time studies in Canada and was granted the study permit in January. He also applied for an open work permit at the same time (online with the help of an immigration agent). It has been more than 2 months and he has not heard back on the status of the application. The normal processing time has been exceeded.

My cousin's work visa in UK is expiring in a few days and if he returns to India, he may have to start the process all over again since he won't be present in UK at the time of issuance of Visa from the UK office.

Under the circumstances, could you please offer advice on what my cousin can do? Should he call the UK visa office? Should he call the CIC call centre? Should he apply for a TRV instead? He was also keen to attend some training course to gain new skills and so, should he try getting admitted in a Designated Learning Institute and then, apply for a study permit for himself because apparently, the study permit is processed faster. If so, can he hold both the study permit and the work permit whenever the latter arrives?

Any advice you can offer will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Sukhi

ashpur88

Star Member
Jun 24, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I have submitted SOWP online application for my wife, who is currently working in India. I have uploaded all the documents they asked for in the online application like my Work Permit, Letter stating my NOC, my financial statements and a detailed proof of our relationship.

However, I did not upload her education certificates, her pay stubs from India and her employment letter. I read on the forum that people who did not provide these got their application rejected.

What are my options now? Can I apply again although its been just 1 week since I applied with the first application? I understand I will have to pay the fees again but will it hurt my case when they notice two different applications? Or can I call the CIC call center and ask if they can modify the current application?

Please help. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

b4ahmad

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
ashpur88 said:
Hi everyone,

I have submitted SOWP online application for my wife, who is currently working in India. I have uploaded all the documents they asked for in the online application like my Work Permit, Letter stating my NOC, my financial statements and a detailed proof of our relationship.

However, I did not upload her education certificates, her pay stubs from India and her employment letter. I read on the forum that people who did not provide these got their application rejected.

What are my options now? Can I apply again although its been just 1 week since I applied with the first application? I understand I will have to pay the fees again but will it hurt my case when they notice two different applications? Or can I call the CIC call center and ask if they can modify the current application?

Please help. Any advice will be greatly appreciated
I think you application would be ok, and you dnt need to provide her paystubs now. If you had provided earlier, it would be good, as it shows proof of strong ties to home country. I submitted my SOWP through consultant and he did not submitted any of her educational or work experience. He told me that her application is based on my work permit so technically her documents are of least importance.

I would suggest that you wait for CIC and if they ask for it, then you can upload. This is my suggestion, others may suggest you something else, or FKL can shed some light.

ashpur88

Star Member
Jun 24, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
b4ahmad said:
I think you application would be ok, and you dnt need to provide her paystubs now. If you had provided earlier, it would be good, as it shows proof of strong ties to home country. I submitted my SOWP through consultant and he did not submitted any of her educational or work experience. He told me that her application is based on my work permit so technically her documents are of least importance.

I would suggest that you wait for CIC and if they ask for it, then you can upload. This is my suggestion, others may suggest you something else, or FKL can shed some light.
Thank you so much for your quick response. I was under the same impression too that its my documents and my relationship with her that will be scrutinized. I am just worried after reading comments by other users on the forum.

I will wait for others to pitch in their ideas too but I really appreciate your answer. Gives me some confidence now!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
b4ahmad said:
FKL and Imarchuang,

Thank you for your comments. I called CIC call center and they confirmed me that it was a mistake from CIC end. The call center agent took a long time and told me that he is putting my application in right queue now. But when I asked if all 3 of our applications would be processed together or separately, he was not sure about it. He told me that although my application was made inside Canada; most probably it will go through Islamabad office for my wife and kid.

And FKL there was no option on the form for visitor record or TRV, when I filled the online "Come to Canada" questionnaire it showed me the list of documents, and I uploaded all those.
Fingers crossed, praying and hoping for the best.
Ah..... I didn't remember (possibly can't) that your family isn't present in Canada. That changes things and yes it will most likely be processed in Islamabad.

The visa office is decided based upon the current residence that you filled for your spouse and kid.

It should be fixed by them accordingly. Though visitor record processing is the same as work permit, would require medicals etc. But eventually your family will have medicals in Canada too and will not restricted to 6 months stay or any thing.

Moreover, a child who came here on visitor record, once he/she reaches school going age, is automatically eligible for public school (assuming his VR and his parent's wp are valid).

You do not need to get a new study permit for him.

SukhiVyakti

Mar 17, 2016
Hi fkl,

Not sure if you got a chance to look at my query below. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Sukhi

SukhiVyakti said:
Dear fkl,

I want to start by thanking you for selflessly taking the time to answer the questions of so many applicants and their family members.

My cousin is an Indian national currently in UK with his wife. His wife applied for full time studies in Canada and was granted the study permit in January. He also applied for an open work permit at the same time (online with the help of an immigration agent). It has been more than 2 months and he has not heard back on the status of the application. The normal processing time has been exceeded.

My cousin's work visa in UK is expiring in a few days and if he returns to India, he may have to start the process all over again since he won't be present in UK at the time of issuance of Visa from the UK office.

Under the circumstances, could you please offer advice on what my cousin can do? Should he call the UK visa office? Should he call the CIC call centre? Should he apply for a TRV instead? He was also keen to attend some training course to gain new skills and so, should he try getting admitted in a Designated Learning Institute and then, apply for a study permit for himself because apparently, the study permit is processed faster. If so, can he hold both the study permit and the work permit whenever the latter arrives?

Kind Regards,
Sukhi

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-02-2016 - Paper Application
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Submitted with Application
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
SukhiVyakti said:
Dear fkl,

Kind Regards,
Sukhi
Hi Sukhi,

I will try to answer your question. Let FKL make his additional input when he comes online.

what my cousin can do? Should he call the UK visa office? Should he call the CIC call centre?

Your cousin can send a Case Specific Enquiry to CIC by following the link below.

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

He don't have to contact any visa offices as he applied online. His visa file can be allotted to any of their Visa Officers.

As far as I know, Application of an Indian will be usually sent to Canadian High Commission in New Delhi.

You can also submit GCMS notes to get the exact status of his application

Should he apply for a TRV instead?

You mean Visitor Visa ? He can do that either after withdrawing his SOWP application. It shouldn't affect his next application anyway.

He was also keen to attend some training course to gain new skills and so, should he try getting admitted in a Designated Learning Institute and then, apply for a study permit for himself because apparently, the study permit is processed faster. If so, can he hold both the study permit and the work permit whenever the latter arrives?

To my knowledge, he can't hold more than one status in Canada. He can either be a SOWP holder or be a student. Because both of them serves different purposes.

If his intention is to study and need visa asap, I would suggest him to return to India and apply to SPP institutions to get his Study Permit processed in 10 days.

Avoid online applications in the future. It causes unwanted delays and hassles. Always apply by paper through VFS so you know where your application is.

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
GreenHak said:
Hi Sukhi,

I will try to answer your question. Let FKL make his additional input when he comes online.

what my cousin can do? Should he call the UK visa office? Should he call the CIC call centre?

Your cousin can send a Case Specific Enquiry to CIC by following the link below.

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

He don't have to contact any visa offices as he applied online. His visa file can be allotted to any of their Visa Offices around the world.

As far as I know, Application of an Indian will be usually sent to Canadian High Commission in New Delhi.

You mean Visitor Visa ? He can do that either after withdrawing his SOWP application. It shouldn't affect his next application anyway.

He was also keen to attend some training course to gain new skills and so, should he try getting admitted in a Designated Learning Institute and then, apply for a study permit for himself because apparently, the study permit is processed faster. If so, can he hold both the study permit and the work permit whenever the latter arrives?

To my knowledge, he can't hold more than one status in Canada. He can either be a SOWP holder or be a student. Because both of them serves different purposes.

If his intention is to study and need visa asap, I would suggest him to return to India and apply to SPP institutions to get his Study Permit processed in 10 days.

Avoid online applications in the future. It causes unwanted delays and hassles. Always apply by paper through VFS so you know where your application is.

SukhiVyakti

Mar 17, 2016
Hi GreenHak,

Thank you very much for answering the questions.

My cousin has already sent a case specific enquirer more than a month ago.

I didn't realise that the application is sent to country of citizenship. I was under the impression that it was sent to the country of residence.

Can my cousin apply for study permit from within UK? Or does he have to return to India and apply from there? He is trying to save on the travel costs and multiple trips. Also, does he need to withdraw the owp application before applying for the study permit?

It appears from a reading of this forum that a paper based application may be processed faster than an online one. Not sure why that is, but whole heartedly agree with your recommendation there.

Once again, many thanks for responding to the queries.

Kind Regards,
Sukhi

GreenHak said:
Hi Sukhi,

He don't have to contact any visa offices as he applied online. His visa file can be allotted to any of their Visa Officers.

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
SukhiVyakti said:
Hi GreenHak,

I didn't realise that the application is sent to country of citizenship. I was under the impression that it was sent to the country of residence.

Can my cousin apply for study permit from within UK? Or does he have to return to India and apply from there? He is trying to save on the travel costs and multiple trips. Also, does he need to withdraw the owp application before applying for the study permit?

It appears from a reading of this forum that a paper based application may be processed faster than an online one. Not sure why that is, but whole heartedly agree with your recommendation there.

Kind Regards,
Sukhi
You are most welcome.

• Online applications are not particularly sent to Country of Citizenship. CIC share it's heavy volume work load to its Visa offices around the world.
    In most cases they send to country of Citizenship. If they send to India, usually they send to Delhi.
  • Your Cousin can apply for study permit in the UK. (Paper Based) Mostly they process paper applications in the country you apply.
  • It is not necessary he have to withdraw his SOWP. But he can save the application fee rite ? Anyway he can hold either SP or SOWP.
  • Having the SOWP already took 2 months without any response, there are two steps remaining in the process.

1) Medical Request (If upfront medical not done)

2) Passport Request.

If he haven't took upfront medical, it will take up to two weeks for CIC to update the records. And another two weeks for passport sending and despatch process. Roughly one month wait time even if he get a medical request today. (Two weeks if medical already done.)
  • So, its up to him to decide what he intend to do in Canada
  • If SOWP is want he want, as him to submit a GCMS notes to get the status in the fixed time of 30 days.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
SukhiVyakti said:
Hi GreenHak,

Kind Regards,
Sukhi
It was a little bit complex to follow your over all discussion and time taking - hence the delay. Most of what GreenHak mentioned is pretty good advice. Here are some important clarifications / additions.

a) CIC primarily processes applications based upon current country of residence (excluding a temporary visit status of 6 months or less). You can choose for it to be processed in your country of Citizenship. But by default, it is processed by the current visa office, which in this case is UK.

b) The above was before Jan 2016. Now CIC says that for online applications, they can process those any where based upon work load distribution and strictly processing times based upon countries do not apply.
But there is no way you can control it.

c) My understanding is that the work load distribution only happens for processing the application UNTIL the point of passport request and visa stamping. That will always be done by visa office catering the location where the applicant is presently located. CIC won't tell an Indian applicant who applied from india to send his passport for stamping to UK visa office.

d) There is no reason to withdraw an existing SOWP application. But I don't see any reason to submit an additional Canadian TRV. It will most likely be refused because his purpose is already clear by his/her work permit application plus I don't think your cousins circumstances are what CIC would allow and consider for a TRV.

e) You cannot have a study permit and a full time SOWP at the same time. But if you get a regular study permit based upon gaining admission to an institute, you also get a work permit allowing you to work 20 hours a week. Note that I am not talking about a spouse dependent case - getting a study permit. That would still take the same processing time as a work permit. This is not the case of a direct admission based study visa, so it does not get that processing time frame - period.

What he can do is, wait until his visa in UK is around close to a month's expiry and send a case specific inquiry explaining he is going back to india and his file should be processed there.

They would call there for medicals and passport request what ever.

All in all, it was a bad idea to apply from UK for SOWP if your status in UK was valid for less than 6 months. So there is a good chance of application being hung up / delayed / misunderstood in India.

tjax

Dec 18, 2013
Hello Everyone,

I have got admission to Masters(2 year program) in Concordia University, Montreal. University directed to obtain CAQ.
My wife and I intend to travel together. Since she already has a good career path in information security(5+ years experience) domain here in India, I want to apply an OWP for her. We do have all the necessary funds and proofs to demonstrate strong ties with the home country (India).

Will it be fine if I apply student visa for myself and OWP for her at the same time, or should I apply for my student visa first and then for her OWP, after I reach there?

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks!

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
tjax said:
Hello Everyone,

I have got admission to Masters(2 year program) in Concordia University, Montreal. University directed to obtain CAQ.
My wife and I intend to travel together. Since she already has a good career path in information security(5+ years experience) domain here in India, I want to apply an OWP for her. We do have all the necessary funds and proofs to demonstrate strong ties with the home country (India).

Will it be fine if I apply student visa for myself and OWP for her at the same time, or should I apply for my student visa first and then for her OWP, after I reach there?

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks!
I applied for my SP and husband's OWP at the same time and was approved. However, some people apply for SP first and the spouse on a TRV and when they're both inside Canada, they apply for SOWP. I guess as long you can provide all the requirements, it can work either way.

tjax

Dec 18, 2013
frustratedcanadian said:
I applied for my SP and husband's OWP at the same time and was approved. However, some people apply for SP first and the spouse on a TRV and when they're both inside Canada, they apply for SOWP. I guess as long you can provide all the requirements, it can work either way.
Thank you for a prompt response. I have a few more specific queries if you may help?
1) How much time did it take for you for the entire process? (Since I have admits from US as well, earlier processing would certainly help me)
2) Since, its a masters program of 2 years and given that I meet all the requirements, can I assume a higher chance of success I take the first option of applying together?
3) I have got 6.5+ years of experience as a Software Developer and currently in a role of Technical lead with an MNC. I have got admit to MEngg in Software Engineering at Concordia. Since I couldnt find much over the forum about reputation, quality and post-masters job opportunities, could please how this program stands on the former parameters?