+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit - Online submission query

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
I am applying for a spouse OWP and the steps asked me to obtain the personal checklist code which I did & obtained the below list to be submitted as documents
IMM1295 application
Passport
Photo
Proof of relationship
Scehdule 1 (optional)
Letter of invite(optional)
Payment

Where can I upload documents to show my partner's job offer letter showing that the work is in a skilled category? and the pay stubs?
I do not see these asked in the requested documents so is confused. Please could someone help?

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Scan the remaining documents and Append Them to the Letter of invite (optional) as Page 2 , 3 , onwards .

In the Letter of Invite from Spouse , he/she can mention that .

I am also enclosing the copies of my job offer letter showing that my work is in a skilled category, and copies of my pay stubs etc....

Close that letter of invite as ( at the bottom )

Enclosed:

1. partner's job offer letter .
2. Copy of Partner's Pay Stubs.
3. ................ Any additional documents which you wanna send to CIC.

So CIC will know that these additional documents are attached with this Letter

But make sure to keep the size of this Complete PDF or Word file less than 4MB.

I hope this helps you, Good Luck.

BevCh

Feb 5, 2013
Hi I am after your help PLEASE!

I wish to apply for an open work permit. We are already in Canada and my husband is working on a temp work permit, where do I find the forms on the website to fill in - I'm completely lost

Please help me

Bev

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BevCh said:
Hi I am after your help PLEASE!

I wish to apply for an open work permit. We are already in Canada and my husband is working on a temp work permit, where do I find the forms on the website to fill in - I'm completely lost

Please help me

Bev
Check following Link :

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
O_Canada said:
Scan the remaining documents and Append Them to the Letter of invite (optional) as Page 2 , 3 , onwards .

In the Letter of Invite from Spouse , he/she can mention that .

I am also enclosing the copies of my job offer letter showing that my work is in a skilled category, and copies of my pay stubs etc....

Close that letter of invite as ( at the bottom )

Enclosed:

So CIC will know that these additional documents are attached with this Letter

But make sure to keep the size of this Complete PDF or Word file less than 4MB.

I hope this helps you, Good Luck.
Thankyou O_canada - that was very helpful.
I am still thinking if it is better to go the paper application route

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadahelp7 said:
Thankyou O_canada - that was very helpful.
I am still thinking if it is better to go the paper application route
Well , I feel Sending an Online Application is little tricky and involves Technical skills . Scanning required documents , Converting them to PDF and then reducing their size when file size exceeds more than 4 MB. You need to compress images etc. Then there is a doubt which form needs to be signed and which not.

Sometimes we want to send a supporting document and we are not sure at which place we can upload that ( Like your doubt ) Then we need to merge files together and make a single file .

In my case it almost took 2 days to upload all the supporting documents because website was giving server error and all . I was feeling that I should have applied though Paper Application based route but I had already spent a considerable amount of time to prepare documents ( scanning / merging / reducing file size etc ) so I did not step back.

I feel Online Application process from CIC is in very early stage and has some technical issues. This process will mature with time. I have just shared my views, Choice is yours if u wanna do it from the comfort of home and you love technical challenges . Otherwise you may follow easier paper application route. Good Luck :)

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
O_Canada said:
Well , I feel Sending an Online Application is little tricky and involves Technical skills . Scanning required documents , Converting them to PDF and then reducing their size when file size exceeds more than 4 MB. You need to compress images etc. Then there is a doubt which form needs to be signed and which not.

Sometimes we want to send a supporting document and we are not sure at which place we can upload that ( Like your doubt ) Then we need to merge files together and make a single file .

In my case it almost took 2 days to upload all the supporting documents because website was giving server error and all . I was feeling that I should have applied though Paper Application based route but I had already spent a considerable amount of time to prepare documents ( scanning / merging / reducing file size etc ) so I did not step back.

I feel Online Application process from CIC is in very early stage and has some technical issues. This process will mature with time. I have just shared my views, Choice is yours if u wanna do it from the comfort of home and you love technical challenges . Otherwise you may follow easier paper application route. Good Luck :)
Thankyou for sharing your experience, O_canada
When you submitted the online application, did you face any problems as below? and how did you deal with it?

IMM5295 form should include all jobs performed in the last 10 years, I cannot fill them in the space provided so should include an additional page to list the remaining jobs in the 10 year period, How can this page be scanned along with the form as an extension?

If the application is made from a country not visa-exempt, will the spouse get the work permit via post? and with this letter they must apply for the TRV? I am not clear about this part as I understand he will require the work permit + TRV unlike other applicants from visa exempt countries where the work permit will suffice.

Please could you advice?

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had Similar Challenge ( include all jobs performed in the last 10 years) so I had to scan an additional Page.

I was filling form # IMM1295E . When I scan and merge additional page with this IMM1295 then MyCIC was not recognizing this form because IMM1295 has validate button so MyCIC wants it to be Filled > Saved > Validated , that is it , it does not needs to be signed with Pen because you are going to Digitally sign your complete application Online ( as a last step after uploading all required documents as your online authorization that u are submitting this form online ) .You just upload the saved forms which have Validate Button you need not to Print > Sign with Pen and Scan those forms .

So I merged this additional Scanned Page with another form which can be scanned and uploaded into MyCIC.

You can think about merging this with Letter of Invite

Enclosed:

4. Additional Page for jobs performed in the last 10 years , part of IMM5295.

As I told you its very tricky to send all the required documents and sometimes we are worried if CIC will be able to find them in similar order and its tagged in the relevant section . That is why Paper based application is Safe, because we can arrange all the papers in the required order :) .

Likewise I am also from a country where TRV is required, so after this online application, CIC will ask for Medical ( Communication will come in MyCIC Account + You will get an e-mail saying that you have a new message in MyCIC account so go and check it there in my messages section ) - I have reached till this stage so its my personal exp .

Based upon my previous experience ( Paper Based Application ) I believe next steps will be :

After medicals if every thing goes fine then CIC will ask for Passport from a person who is from a country which needs TRV ( so that they can stamp Travel Visa on that passport . It will enable that person to Travel to Canada ) and they will issue a Work Permit Authorization Letter mentioning that your Work Permit is approved .

This person reaches the port of entry ( Airport in Canada ) then Immigration officer will check Work Permit Authorization Letter and issue Work Permit Paper to that person.

In Nutshell TRV + Work Permit Authorization comes through this single application , you need not to apply Visa separately . You get work permit paper once you reach Canada on Airport.

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
O_Canada said:
I had Similar Challenge ( include all jobs performed in the last 10 years) so I had to scan an additional Page.

I was filling form # IMM1295E . When I scan and merge additional page with this IMM1295 then MyCIC was not recognizing this form because IMM1295 has validate button so MyCIC wants it to be Filled > Saved > Validated , that is it , it does not needs to be signed with Pen because you are going to Digitally sign your complete application Online ( as a last step after uploading all required documents as your online authorization that u are submitting this form online ) .You just upload the saved forms which have Validate Button you need not to Print > Sign with Pen and Scan those forms .

So I merged this additional Scanned Page with another form which can be scanned and uploaded into MyCIC.

Enclosed:

As I told you its very tricky to send all the required documents and sometimes we are worried if CIC will be able to find them in similar order and its tagged in the relevant section . That is why Paper based application is Safe, because we can arrange all the papers in the required order :) .

Likewise I am also from a country where TRV is required, so after this online application, CIC will ask for Medical ( Communication will come in MyCIC Account + You will get an e-mail saying that you have a new message in MyCIC account so go and check it there in my messages section ) - I have reached till this stage so its my personal exp .

Based upon my previous experience ( Paper Based Application ) I believe next steps will be :

After medicals if every thing goes fine then CIC will ask for Passport from a person who is from a country which needs TRV ( so that they can stamp Travel Visa on that passport . It will enable that person to Travel to Canada ) and they will issue a Work Permit Authorization Letter mentioning that your Work Permit is approved .

This person reaches the port of entry ( Airport in Canada ) then Immigration officer will check Work Permit Authorization Letter and issue Work Permit Paper to that person.

In Nutshell TRV + Work Permit Authorization comes through this single application , you need not to apply Visa separately . You get work permit paper once you reach Canada on Airport.
Thank you so much O_canada. Really appreciate your time to write in detail. +1 for you
Really glad to hear that you got the medical request. When did you submit the application?
Do you reckon I can submit the application from canada by going online via my partners (who is outside canada) CIC profile? and would it allow me to pay the fee with my CC or does it require my spouse CC details?

Also, regarding the proof of funds. Did you keep only your bank statement or do you also have to keep the spouse bank statement?How many pay stubs did you upload?

Sorry for all these questions, much appreciate all your help!

badboyz

May 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-02-2015
AOR Received.
01-04-2015
File Transfer...
15-04-2015
O_Canada said:

Enclosed:

Hey O_canada,

Saw your post here...

Had a quick question for you..I am on work permit in Canada (NOC A-2172)..workpermit valid till 2015. My spouse is in India. Can I use the online application tool to apply spousal work permit for her??..

Hoping for a quick reply.

Thanks.

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadahelp7 said:
Thank you so much O_canada. Really appreciate your time to write in detail. +1 for you
Really glad to hear that you got the medical request. When did you submit the application?
Do you reckon I can submit the application from canada by going online via my partners (who is outside canada) CIC profile? and would it allow me to pay the fee with my CC or does it require my spouse CC details?

Also, regarding the proof of funds. Did you keep only your bank statement or do you also have to keep the spouse bank statement?How many pay stubs did you upload?

Sorry for all these questions, much appreciate all your help!
You are welcome @canadahelp7, Thanks for +1. I believe if my little knowledge can help you by answering your questions it will reduce your Anxiety , If I put myself in your shoes I can understand that while submitting these applications we have lots of queries on our mind and getting an answer to those queries calms our mind and results in sound sleep. More over giving back to the community is our moral responsibility.

I submitted my application in 1st week of Jan 2013.

I think yes you can do this , Online Website does not blocks any geography specific IP addresses, so it should not be a problem if you help your partner to fill his Online application. Regarding Fees Payment you can try paying this way and see if MyCIC gives any error message Otherwise your partner can use his Credit card. If u wanna officially put your name as your partner's representative then your partner can fill your name as his/her representative by filling Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] form. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5476E.pdf Online Checklist generation tool will ask you this option : Do u wanna provide access of your application to some other person then select Yes and pick the appropriate option.

When I submitted this application , I am primary Applicant and my spouse is Accompanying Family member so we had to fill another form : USE OF A FAMILY MEMBER REPRESENTATIVE FOR ONLINE APPLICATIONS IMM5713 ( Which means that a Spouse can submit an application of Dependent Spouse / Kids using his MyCIC Account and they are authorizing Principal Applicant to submit their application ) . MyCIC tool gave this form in the Final List of forms to be uploaded.

Myself and my spouse are still outside Canada , So I just Gave Bank Statements of Self + Spouse accounts to show that collectively we have these funds at our disposal. To show that we have these funds through fair means I attached last 3 months Pay Stubs from my current employer in India. I also attached Income Tax Returns of past 3 years ( Self + Spouse ) to show that we filed Income Tax Returns and this money is earned through all the good means and we have disclosed this money to Govt Authorities. These supporting documents make your case strong because these gestures show that you are a law abiding resident of your home and Host country. It adds to your credibility.

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
badboyz said:
Hey O_canada,

Saw your post here...

Had a quick question for you..I am on work permit in Canada (NOC A-2172)..workpermit valid till 2015. My spouse is in India. Can I use the online application tool to apply spousal work permit for her??..

Hoping for a quick reply.

Thanks.
Yes you can use Online Tool to apply for Spouse Open WP .

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
O_Canada said:
You are welcome @ canadahelp7, Thanks for +1. I believe if my little knowledge can help you by answering your questions it will reduce your Anxiety , If I put myself in your shoes I can understand that while submitting these applications we have lots of queries on our mind and getting an answer to those queries calms our mind and results in sound sleep. More over giving back to the community is our moral responsibility.

I submitted my application in 1st week of Jan 2013.

I think yes you can do this , Online Website does not blocks any geography specific IP addresses, so it should not be a problem if you help your partner to fill his Online application. Regarding Fees Payment you can try paying this way and see if MyCIC gives any error message Otherwise your partner can use his Credit card. If u wanna officially put your name as your partner's representative then your partner can fill your name as his/her representative by filling Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] form. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5476E.pdf Online Checklist generation tool will ask you this option : Do u wanna provide access of your application to some other person then select Yes and pick the appropriate option.

When I submitted this application , I am primary Applicant and my spouse is Accompanying Family member so we had to fill another form : USE OF A FAMILY MEMBER REPRESENTATIVE FOR ONLINE APPLICATIONS IMM5713 ( Which means that a Spouse can submit an application of Dependent Spouse / Kids using his MyCIC Account and they are authorizing Principal Applicant to submit their application ) . MyCIC tool gave this form in the Final List of forms to be uploaded.

Myself and my spouse are still outside Canada , So I just Gave Bank Statements of Self + Spouse accounts to show that collectively we have these funds at our disposal. To show that we have these funds through fair means I attached last 3 months Pay Stubs from my current employer in India. I also attached Income Tax Returns of past 3 years ( Self + Spouse ) to show that we filed Income Tax Returns and this money is earned through all the good means and we have disclosed this money to Govt Authorities. These supporting documents make your case strong because these gestures show that you are a law abiding resident of your home and Host country. It adds to your credibility.
Thank you again O_Canada. I wish you good luck with your application - all the very best!

kathcaspe

Star Member
Mar 29, 2013
O_canada, I need your help. I'm planning to process my husband spousal visa. He is outside canada and I just want to ask if what is the best way to send his application, via online or sending documents to embassy? and there are a lots of tricky question to the forms. can you please help me?

I'm very gladly for your help

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kathcaspe said:
O_canada, I need your help. I'm planning to process my husband spousal visa. He is outside canada and I just want to ask if what is the best way to send his application, via online or sending documents to embassy? and there are a lots of tricky question to the forms. can you please help me?

I'm very gladly for your help
Hi kathcaspe,

My Exp : In the order of Application Method Preference ( My exp is from India, I am not sure where is your husband staying ), I am sharing one of my previous post , you can see if the info is relevant to you :

1. Apply through VFS Canada - 1st Preference. They will verify the necessary docs + You will have one point of contact.

2. Apply by submitting your package at Visa office in Person so that u have a receipt / file number and track your application by raising Case specific Inquiry if it exceeds normals process timelines . But there is one drawback, because your passports will reach back to you through Speed Post ( In India ) so u will always be chasing a Postman .

3. Apply Online - You have file Number so that u can track your application by raising Case specific Inquiry. But I feel this is slow method, First u scan all the docs / reduce their file sizes and upload them ( Server Crashes Many times and other technical challenges ) . Then they ask for medical request followed by passport submission request , so this channel consumes a substantial amount of time and effort. Plus you end up paying more ( You pay in Dollars application fees + again for passport submission you need to follow VFS route and pay VFS processing fees . )

As per my understanding Online application method is 1st preferred route if you are within Canada.

3. Apply Through Postal mail - Least Preferred method . Because u don't get any acknowledgement / File Number unless your medical request is generated. So keeping your fingers crossed while waiting without any clue about your file number.

I hope this experience will help you in deciding which application method you wanna follow. I just shared my personal experience.

Regarding tricky questions: You are welcome to send them to me and if I know their answers I will be glad to help you.