+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit - Online submission query

kathcaspe

Star Member
Mar 29, 2013
O_Canada said:
Hi kathcaspe,

My Exp : In the order of Application Method Preference ( My exp is from India, I am not sure where is your husband staying ), I am sharing one of my previous post , you can see if the info is relevant to you :

1. Apply through VFS Canada - 1st Preference. They will verify the necessary docs + You will have one point of contact.

2. Apply by submitting your package at Visa office in Person so that u have a receipt / file number and track your application by raising Case specific Inquiry if it exceeds normals process timelines . But there is one drawback, because your passports will reach back to you through Speed Post ( In India ) so u will always be chasing a Postman .

3. Apply Online - You have file Number so that u can track your application by raising Case specific Inquiry. But I feel this is slow method, First u scan all the docs / reduce their file sizes and upload them ( Server Crashes Many times and other technical challenges ) . Then they ask for medical request followed by passport submission request , so this channel consumes a substantial amount of time and effort. Plus you end up paying more ( You pay in Dollars application fees + again for passport submission you need to follow VFS route and pay VFS processing fees . )

As per my understanding Online application method is 1st preferred route if you are within Canada.

3. Apply Through Postal mail - Least Preferred method . Because u don't get any acknowledgement / File Number unless your medical request is generated. So keeping your fingers crossed while waiting without any clue about your file number.

I hope this experience will help you in deciding which application method you wanna follow. I just shared my personal experience.

Regarding tricky questions: You are welcome to send them to me and if I know their answers I will be glad to help you.

Thank you very much O_canada your such a big help to us. For the form imm 1295 under job details, what should I gonna put if my husband doesn't have lmo number nor employer name and expected date start to work?i can't leave each question blank right? so what is the best answer? Many thanks.. Kath ;D

Chef Pause

Mar 29, 2013
Hi o_Canada my question is I'm apply for the TRV visa from thailand on 2Feb 2013 and my material status is single at that time and on 2Mar2013 my visa were Approved then I'm married on 8Mar2013 after that I'm landed in Canada on 17Mar2013. I'm a skill worker occupation B that I can apply open visa for my wife but the problem is it will have problem that I'm put my material status in single or how can I change before I'm apply or she can apply by herself out canada or not

Many Thanks
Pause

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kathcaspe said:
Thank you very much O_canada your such a big help to us. For the form imm 1295 under job details, what should I gonna put if my husband doesn't have lmo number nor employer name and expected date start to work?i can't leave each question blank right? so what is the best answer? Many thanks.. Kath ;D
Here we go :

Details of Intended Work IN Canada:

1. What kind of work Permit are you applying for

Open Work Permit

a)
Details of my prospective Employer

N/A - Applying for Open WP as Spouse.

b) Complete Address of Employer

N/A - Applying for Open WP as Spouse.

3. Intended Location of Employment in canada.

Mention the city / Province where he wants to work. Most probably the same city/province where you are currently staying.
in the Address Mention : N/A - Open Work Permit .

4. My Occupation in Canada Will be
Open WP / or May be you can mention what he wants to do if he gets WP.

5. Duration of Expected Employment :

End Date : Your Work Permit End Date ( Spouse Permit is only given upto the duration for which Principal applicant ( means your's WP is valid. )

6. Labour Markete Opinion No .

( eight zeroes , its mandatory to put something otherwise you won't be able to validate this form so as u don't have any LMO for him and he is a dependent spouse so 00000000 should work. )

I hope this works for you, Good Luck with your application.

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chef Pause said:
Hi o_Canada my question is I'm apply for the TRV visa from thailand on 2Feb 2013 and my material status is single at that time and on 2Mar2013 my visa were Approved then I'm married on 8Mar2013 after that I'm landed in Canada on 17Mar2013. I'm a skill worker occupation B that I can apply open visa for my wife but the problem is it will have problem that I'm put my material status in single or how can I change before I'm apply or she can apply by herself out canada or not

Many Thanks
Pause
@Chef Pause ,

Congratulations on getting married. I am not an expert but just an other applicant like you. Well my logical thinking says that there is no way to update your marital status in CIC records, because u were single at the time of application and got married after your visa approval. I think once your wife submits her application and she attaches the Marriage Certificate along with her application then this will update CIC's records that you guys got married.

So attach enough proofs of your marriage along with this application, Marriage Certificate, Marriage Snaps / Videos Etc .

I believe if u wanna apply for her then less risky option is Travel Visa, So she may be able to stay with you but she will not be able to work on Travel visa and you need to show enough ties for her with her parent country. If you still wanna apply for her Work Visa then its your choice, like I said I am not an expert I am just an other applicant :) . May be once she reaches Canada on Travel visa then you may apply for her Work permit.

Ties:
Her current job and her current job prospects , Your ( her + your ) collective bank balance , Any property / assets / cars on her name in Thailand, Her previous international travel history, So you may use these ties to justify that she has enough reasons to come back to Thailand once her visa is over.

Do consult a good Immigration lawyer and he/she should be able to guide you in a proper direction. Search on this forum for these kind of cases where ppl got married recently and how they submitted their Work / Travel spouse visa applications.

Good Luck.

Avez

Aug 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
O_Canada said:
Hi kathcaspe,

My Exp : In the order of Application Method Preference ( My exp is from India, I am not sure where is your husband staying ), I am sharing one of my previous post , you can see if the info is relevant to you :

1. Apply through VFS Canada - 1st Preference. They will verify the necessary docs + You will have one point of contact.

2. Apply by submitting your package at Visa office in Person so that u have a receipt / file number and track your application by raising Case specific Inquiry if it exceeds normals process timelines . But there is one drawback, because your passports will reach back to you through Speed Post ( In India ) so u will always be chasing a Postman .

3. Apply Online - You have file Number so that u can track your application by raising Case specific Inquiry. But I feel this is slow method, First u scan all the docs / reduce their file sizes and upload them ( Server Crashes Many times and other technical challenges ) . Then they ask for medical request followed by passport submission request , so this channel consumes a substantial amount of time and effort. Plus you end up paying more ( You pay in Dollars application fees + again for passport submission you need to follow VFS route and pay VFS processing fees . )

As per my understanding Online application method is 1st preferred route if you are within Canada.

3. Apply Through Postal mail - Least Preferred method . Because u don't get any acknowledgement / File Number unless your medical request is generated. So keeping your fingers crossed while waiting without any clue about your file number.

I hope this experience will help you in deciding which application method you wanna follow. I just shared my personal experience.

Regarding tricky questions: You are welcome to send them to me and if I know their answers I will be glad to help you.
Hello O_Canada,

I applied online for extension of my PG WP on Feb 8, 2013 from in Canada and received a new 2 year WP on April 4, 2013. Along with my application i also sent my spouse's TRV (visitor visa) application who is in India. I acted as her representative by completing the Family representative form (IMM 5713).

The processing time for visitor visa application then was 71 days which ended on April 19, 2013. We are still waiting for a response on her application. I already uploaded her medicals as requested in the original application. I am hoping the visa office requests for her passport soon.

Questions...

1. Does the process work the way I've used it? As in - I sent my spouse's TRV (visitor visa) application who is in India along with my application from in Canada?

2. Where do the online applications go? Which visa office processes them? Since I am in Canada I am assuming mine got processed in Canada. Did my spouse's application go to Delhi since she is in India?

3. Since I am representing my spouse, I used my address as the mailing address and my email id as the primary id just because my CIC account was used. So will the request for her passport be sent through mail, email or My CIC account?

4. The processing time for visitor visa application then was 71 days which ended on April 19, 2013. I sent a Case Specific Enquiry to the New Delhi visa office this morning. Would that be the right place to contact? I received this information from a CIC call center through email.

Thank you for your time. :)

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Avez said:
Hello O_Canada,

I applied online for extension of my PG WP on Feb 8, 2013 from in Canada and received a new 2 year WP on April 4, 2013. Along with my application i also sent my spouse's TRV (visitor visa) application who is in India. I acted as her representative by completing the Family representative form (IMM 5713).

The processing time for visitor visa application then was 71 days which ended on April 19, 2013. We are still waiting for a response on her application. I already uploaded her medicals as requested in the original application. I am hoping the visa office requests for her passport soon.

Questions...

1. Does the process work the way I've used it? As in - I sent my spouse's TRV (visitor visa) application who is in India along with my application from in Canada?

2. Where do the online applications go? Which visa office processes them? Since I am in Canada I am assuming mine got processed in Canada. Did my spouse's application go to Delhi since she is in India?

3. Since I am representing my spouse, I used my address as the mailing address and my email id as the primary id just because my CIC account was used. So will the request for her passport be sent through mail, email or My CIC account?

4. The processing time for visitor visa application then was 71 days which ended on April 19, 2013. I sent a Case Specific Enquiry to the New Delhi visa office this morning. Would that be the right place to contact? I received this information from a CIC call center through email.

Yes I hope it will work this way , So don't worry , otherwise CIC might have told you that this is not going to work this way .
Yes it will go to Delhi / Chandigarh , Most probably in New Delhi .
You will get an e-mail that there is a new message in your MyCIC account, so you will log into MyCIC and check the passport submission request there. You might have got Medical Request through MyCIC as well.

Well for Online WP extension from within Canada follows the Online Submission time lines, Like you might get it earlier and your wife will get after some time, Because she is in India and now her file is transferred to New Delhi. So online timelines are not applicable to her file. Her file will follow time lines of new delhi office. Be patient, Open work permit / TRV for spouse takes 2-4 months. Yes the only way to contact New Delhi VO is case specific inquiry only, they do not entertain inquires over the phone.

nanik

Apr 11, 2013
Hai O_canada
I need your suggestion regarding my Spouse OWP. I applied OWP for my wife in jan 2013. i did online application and can't upload all documents. i mentioned about my status in letter of explanation (OWP and noc 7311). But they rejected saying they need employers letter which is not applicable for us.
Then with help of a lawyer i applied a visitor visa for her in march 2013. they rejected it (reason is they don't trust she go back after her visa valid time). Now i am in a confused situation.
What would you suggest me to do. Can i go again for OWP paper application or wait until i get my PR (i will be eligible in sept 2013).
Thanks for your help in advance

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nanik said:
Hai O_canada
I need your suggestion regarding my Spouse OWP. I applied OWP for my wife in jan 2013. i did online application and can't upload all documents. i mentioned about my status in letter of explanation (OWP and noc 7311). But they rejected saying they need employers letter which is not applicable for us.
Then with help of a lawyer i applied a visitor visa for her in march 2013. they rejected it (reason is they don't trust she go back after her visa valid time). Now i am in a confused situation.
What would you suggest me to do. Can i go again for OWP paper application or wait until i get my PR (i will be eligible in sept 2013).
Thanks for your help in advance
Hi Nanik.

As you are saying you were not able to submit all the relevant documents so may be you also missed uploading ( Your's Employer Letter/ Work Contract ) so CIC might be refering to your Employer Contract / Letter.

Please follow this link and check your spouse's eligibility if she can apply for Open WP . Usually If you are authorized to work in Canada, your accompanying family members may also be able to work in this country by virtue of the permit you were issued without any Employer's letter which is issued to her name.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

Typically, your spouse's eligibility for an open work permit depends on the skill level of your job. If the job you are doing is listed as a National Occupational Classification (NOC) 0, A or B, your spouse or common-law partner could be eligible for an open work permit. You must also be authorized to work in Canada for a period of at least six months.

If you are working in an occupation that requires a lower level of formal training, your spouse may also be eligible for an open work permit through an active pilot project. Find out more here : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/occupations.asp.

You may also follow this link for additional info :

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/arriving.asp#famwork

Check your NOC and its classification here http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/Welcome.aspx

Regarding Visitor visa rejection, You should attach sufficient documentation with your application which can satisfy a Visa officer that your spouse has enough ties with the home country and she will come back to home country upon completion of her WP validity.
Read my posts in this thread or other threads in this forum to understand which documents you need to attach with this application to show strong ties with home country.

Best of Luck.

dev.gavande

Star Member
May 13, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 Apr 2015
AOR Received.
12 Apr 2015
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Done....
08 May 2015
Passport Req..
31-Jul-2015
@O_canada

My husband is traveling to Quebec for his studies. I am currently working in India and would like to accompany him.
After checking I found that I can either
1 - apply for TRV here and then apply for OWP once i reach in Canada.
OR
2 - apply for OWP here in India.

But I have seen quite a few rejection posts for both the cases. I am not sure which option to use.
I am working and well earning here and with property/assests etc , This may help me to get TRV.
But why will the visa ppl give me a OWP where they will know that I am going to apply for jobs over there.

I am confused and would like some advice please.

Thanks!
Dev

mannual

Nov 24, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
how to fill IMM 5713 form.
Avez said:
Hello O_Canada,

Questions...

Shaya

Oct 10, 2013
O_Canada said:
Hi kathcaspe,

Hi O_canada
I was reading all your replies and seems you have good knowledge about the process, I have applied for a souse open work permit onlline on Jun 24th 2013 and got medical request on Oct 15th 2013 i am now wondering when will they request my passport submission???if you any any idea about how long it might take after medical has been received by the immigration office??? My application is in New Dehli office.
please help
thanks

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Shaya said:
Hi O_canada
I was reading all your replies and seems you have good knowledge about the process, I have applied for a souse open work permit onlline on Jun 24th 2013 and got medical request on Oct 15th 2013 i am now wondering when will they request my passport submission???if you any any idea about how long it might take after medical has been received by the immigration office??? My application is in New Dehli office.
please help
thanks
@Shaya,

It usually depends upon traffic at NDVO. They should ask for Passports Around Nov 15 and Return passport after 3-4 weeks ( Begining / Mid of Dec ) . Estimates as per my timelines but I had to send two Case specific inquiries because things were moving very slow during that time.

Good Luck with your Application !!!!!

deebee

Star Member
Sep 4, 2013
Hi ,

I am student in canada and i am going to aplly for TRV for my wife . My qstion ..once my wife is here on her TRV will she be able to change tht to OWP ????

RAJ_74

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Shaya said:
Hi O_canada
please help
thanks
Hi shaya,
Its really great that u got medical request.Dear please help me by mentioning complete list of documents which u attached with ur application as I have to apply for my wife who is in india.I already gott one time rejection for OWP.pLEASE HELP.

rAJ.

RAJ_74

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
deebee said:
Hi ,

I am student in canada and i am going to aplly for TRV for my wife . My qstion ..once my wife is here on her TRV will she be able to change tht to OWP ????
DEAR SHE CAN ONLY CHANGE TO OWP IF U ARE ON WORK PERMIT.IN YOUR CASE NO.