+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit - Online submission query

roop9

Star Member
May 1, 2013
deebee said:
Hi ,

I am student in canada and i am going to aplly for TRV for my wife . My qstion ..once my wife is here on her TRV will she be able to change tht to OWP ????
@ deebee

1) You are eligible to apply OWP for your wife and it is the safest way to cal her in Canada. This is better than TRV. TRV has many rejections because its difficult to prove your wife will come back to home country. Avoid applying on TRV

2) Make sure your student permit is valid for 10-12 months when your spouse is applying

3) Yes. Once she applies for TRV she can change it to OWP. But like i said before getting TRV approved is 50-50 chance. Apply OWP instead

joanenriquez

Jan 7, 2014
roop9 said:
@ deebee

1) You are eligible to apply OWP for your wife and it is the safest way to cal her in Canada. This is better than TRV. TRV has many rejections because its difficult to prove your wife will come back to home country. Avoid applying on TRV

2) Make sure your student permit is valid for 10-12 months when your spouse is applying

3) Yes. Once she applies for TRV she can change it to OWP. But like i said before getting TRV approved is 50-50 chance. Apply OWP instead

hi , can i join in this forum, my husband is currently working also in canada as a cook, but he is only 5 months now there, both of us still no saving bank account. I am currently working also here in abudhabi.. what do u think we can show for proof of funds, instead of saving bank account for applying a sowp .. and how much we should prepare for show money. any idea? thanks

jgelbolingo

Sep 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
Doc's Request.
03-April-2013 - NBI submitted
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
27-01-2014
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
24-02-2014
Med's Done....
14-03-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2014
LANDED..........
20-05-2014
O_Canada said:
Yes you can use Online Tool to apply for Spouse Open WP .
hi O_Canada. I really need your help. I am presently working here in Ontario under a Live in Caregiver program. My husband has an employer who will hire him for a job as Welder. However my husband is still in the philippines now. My husband now recieve the job contract,job offer and Approval letter from Alberta Apprenticeship & Industry Training that is qualified to work as Welder under Alberta Pilot Project inwhich this does not need an LMO. I will be submitting the application of my husband online for a work permit and I will include myself on the application as a Family Member who will accompany him so I will also be issued with the open work permit. I just dont know thT once my husband got his visa, and open work permit at the port of entry, will i 'd be getting my open work permit by mail here inCanda or I need to exit canada so I will get my open work permit? Does my husband need to submit a pay stub from current employer? one of the documents on check list say's "Letter from Current Employer". my husband left his job December 2012.He does not have any pay stub because he throws it away. Can we just submit a letter from the employer stating his salary? and I just dont know if its redundant with the Employer Reference Letter from current and past employer that is also one of the
documents needed to be submitted. My husband has his Employment certification but salary is not indicated. . I really need your advi e or any idea that you can share.

jgelbolingo

Sep 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
Doc's Request.
03-April-2013 - NBI submitted
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
27-01-2014
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
24-02-2014
Med's Done....
14-03-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2014
LANDED..........
20-05-2014
O_Canada said:
hi O_Canada. I really need your help. I am presently working here in Ontario under a Live in Caregiver program. My husband has an employer who will hire him for a job as Welder. However my husband is still in the philippines now. My husband now recieve the job contract,job offer and Approval letter from Alberta Apprenticeship & Industry Training that is qualified to work as Welder under Alberta Pilot Project inwhich this does not need an LMO. I will be submitting the application of my husband online for a work permit and I will include myself on the application as a Family Member who will accompany him so I will also be issued with the open work permit. I just dont know thT once my husband got his visa, and open work permit at the port of entry, will i 'd be getting my open work permit by mail here inCanda or I need to exit canada so I will get my open work permit? Does my husband need to submit a pay stub from current employer? one of the documents on check list say's "Letter from Current Employer". my husband left his job December 2012.He does not have any pay stub because he throws it away. Can we just submit a letter from the employer stating his salary? and I just dont know if its redundant with the Employer Reference Letter from current and past employer that is also one of the
documents needed to be submitted. My husband has his Employment certification but salary is not indicated. . I really need your advi e or any idea that you can share.

joanenriquez

Jan 7, 2014
O_Canada said:
hi , can i join in this forum, my husband is currently working also in canada as a cook, but he is only 5 months now there, both of us still no saving bank account. I am currently working also here in abudhabi.. what do u think we can show for proof of funds, instead of saving bank account for applying a sowp .. and how much we should prepare for show money. any idea? thanks..
where i get all the list of supporting documents i need for applying a Sowp? thanks

mannual

Nov 24, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
joanenriquez said:
hi , can i join in this forum, my husband is currently working also in canada as a cook, but he is only 5 months now there, both of us still no saving bank account. I am currently working also here in abudhabi.. what do u think we can show for proof of funds, instead of saving bank account for applying a sowp .. and how much we should prepare for show money. any idea? thanks..
where i get all the list of supporting documents i need for applying a Sowp? thanks
yes you can apply online or papperapplication. i am also cook in canada . came from dubai 10 monts ago. my spouse OSWP almost last stage.

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jgelbolingo said:
Sorry for delayed reply.

Regarding getting Work permit by mail: If you extend your work permit or request change in condition then WP arrives by mail. IF you want a new work permit then they issue you a letter and you get your new wp at the port of entry. So I am not sure which will be your category if it will be a new wp application or change in condition application. Ask CIC and they can guide you.

Regarding Employment Letter : You can include new employment contract letter from Canadian employer and the employment letters from previous employers which confirms his work experience. Usually pay stubs show your financial status so if you can include previous pay stubs it will be great. IF he was paying income tax then include income tax return copies with your application. Also show bank account (single or joint bank account) statements that shows that you both as a family have sufficient funds for your survival and travel to Canada.

Good Luck.

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
joanenriquez said:
Sorry for delayed reply.
If you can include your and your husband's pay stubs it will be a good prof which shows that you both are earning. If you pay income tax then include income tax return copies with your application. Also show bank account either your own or joint bank account statements that shows that you have sufficient funds for your survival and travel to Canada. You can also show any property, car or any other assets which can be valued as a supporting document. I am not sure how much you need to show but for Permanent resident application for a family of 2 ( husband + wife ) it is around 13000 CAD$ so I am not sure about the funds requirement for work permit application. But somewhere around these amounts should be sufficient.

jojena

Jan 13, 2014
Hi O_Canada ,iam applying for SOWP what should i put in my application form which is in "application for work permit outside canada " form there is a box there mention about the employer in canada like " my Occupation in canada will be: and its asking job title and brief description of duties and also the working place, Iam applying for SOWP under my husband who is working as a cook in canada and also in the form it' s asking for LMO number which is I dont have yet and I think its not required for me..pls help me guys who had experienced in filled up this form..

It'S really required to submit a cover letter for applying a sowp? that should I write in cover letter pls help. thanks

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jojena said:
Hi O_Canada ,iam applying for SOWP what should i put in my application form which is in "application for work permit outside canada " form there is a box there mention about the employer in canada like " my Occupation in canada will be: and its asking job title and brief description of duties and also the working place, Iam applying for SOWP under my husband who is working as a cook in canada and also in the form it' s asking for LMO number which is I dont have yet and I think its not required for me..pls help me guys who had experienced in filled up this form..

It'S really required to submit a cover letter for applying a sowp? that should I write in cover letter pls help. thanks
I think you asked same question with your other id joanenriquez . Anyhow im replying again ....

I believe it is an Open Work Permit you are applying for. An open work permit is not tied with any particular occupation or employer.
You can mention "Open Work Permit" and in the Address fields or other fields etc you may write "N/A - As this is an Open Work Permit"
I think the form might not be allowing you to keep LMO number Blank so enter "0000000" or "9999999" which ever number the form is accepting as both of these are dummy numbers and will pass form validation. In the cover letter you need to mention the reason that why you are applying for open work permit and assure visa office that upon the completion of your WP validity you will return back to home country.
Also attach supporting documents with this letter that shows that you have strong ties with your home country , have sufficient financial funds and you have good prospects of your job in your home country. These documents will help visa officer to decide that you will return back to home country upon completion of your work permit validity. Good Luck.

Maling

Jan 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi (online)
NOC Code......
N/A (SOWP)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-12-2013
AOR Received.
26-12-2013
Med's Request
N/A
Hi O_Canada, hope you can help me with my inquiry.

I had submitted my SOWP application via online submission. I'm currently working in Oman and the nearest embassy that process paper application is Abu Dhabi. If I submitted online, will my paper be also processed in Abu Dhabi or is there a chance that it may land to another embassy? There is a big back log in Abu Dhabi and processing time takes 10-12 months now. Im afraid my application will not be finalized within the 4-6 months processing time mentioned in their website. I hope I'm wrong :(

thanks

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maling said:
Hi O_Canada, hope you can help me with my inquiry.

I had submitted my SOWP application via online submission. I'm currently working in Oman and the nearest embassy that process paper application is Abu Dhabi. If I submitted online, will my paper be also processed in Abu Dhabi or is there a chance that it may land to another embassy? There is a big back log in Abu Dhabi and processing time takes 10-12 months now. Im afraid my application will not be finalized within the 4-6 months processing time mentioned in their website. I hope I'm wrong :(

thanks
@Maling,

Even I had this concern when I submitted my WP application online. I am not sure which visa office was processing my online application. But finally I had to interact with my home country's New Delhi Visa office. I had to submit my passports to New Delhi Visa office for Visa Stamping. So I am not sure where the file is processed in the closest embassy or somewhere else where they have officers available who can process online applications, but finally the visa is stamped by the local visa office. Good Luck.

Maling

Jan 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi (online)
NOC Code......
N/A (SOWP)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-12-2013
AOR Received.
26-12-2013
Med's Request
N/A
O_Canada said:
@ Maling,

Even I had this concern when I submitted my WP application online. I am not sure which visa office was processing my online application. But finally I had to interact with my home country's New Delhi Visa office. I had to submit my passports to New Delhi Visa office for Visa Stamping. So I am not sure where the file is processed in the closest embassy or somewhere else where they have officers available who can process online applications, but finally the visa is stamped by the local visa office. Good Luck.
Thanks... I just hope that I will get a result as per their processing coz thats the reason why I did not submit thru paper application to avoid the long processing time and big que.

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maling said:
Thanks... I just hope that I will get a result as per their processing coz thats the reason why I did not submit thru paper application to avoid the long processing time and big que.
Even that is why I submitted my application online to avoid long waiting times . But it seems things worked slowly as per local visa office's time lines. Looking at my time lines it looks like that my file was getting processed at the local visa office.

Maling

Jan 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi (online)
NOC Code......
N/A (SOWP)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-12-2013
AOR Received.
26-12-2013
Med's Request
N/A
O_Canada said:
Even that is why I submitted my application online to avoid long waiting times . But it seems things worked slowly as per local visa office's time lines. Looking at my time lines it looks like that my file was getting processed at the local visa office.

Oh no, so maybe there would be nothing much of difference whether we submit online or thru paper direct to embassy visa office as it would still follow the time line where it is being processed. As for me, if I submit online it says 4-6 months but if direct to embassy its 10-12 months. Then I have to expect for result even beyond 6 months :(