+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open work permit for May 2018

singlarun

Jan 22, 2018
I’ll be traveling to Canada this August on multiple entry visitor Visa which is valid till 2023 end along with my spouse who is moving there on her study permit which is valid of 5 years.

I would like to know the process to apply OWP for me and can I apply this permit at POE?

Pinky2587

Star Member
Jun 27, 2018
Finally!!!!! My husband got PPR today!!!!!

Application type: Online
Application filed: May 31, 2018
Medical Request: July 9, 2018
Medical Completed: July 19, 2018
Medical Approved: July 24, 2018
Passport Request: Aug 14, 2018

To GOD be the Glory!!! God bless to those who are waiting!

cccan

May 6, 2018

Hey Pinky! First of all, congrats!
Coincidently, I'm also working in Qatar right now. My wife is holding a PGWP and I applied through her, she's working in Qatar though at the moment. A few questions: 1) are you now in Canada? and 2) what are you doing there?

Thanks a ton

Android16

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018

Hi Pinky, congrats !
Where did you apply from?

Pinky2587

Star Member
Jun 27, 2018
Hey Pinky! First of all, congrats!
Coincidently, I'm also working in Qatar right now. My wife is holding a PGWP and I applied through her, she's working in Qatar though at the moment. A few questions: 1) are you now in Canada? and 2) what are you doing there?

Thanks a ton
Thanks for the greetings @cccan!! I am now in Canada and I am holding a PGWP. I applied the OWP of my husband online, tho its all his documents I just processed everything online.

So just to confirm you and you’re wife are both in Qatar right now?

cccan

May 6, 2018
Thanks for the greetings @cccan!! I am now in Canada and I am holding a PGWP. I applied the OWP of my husband online, tho its all his documents I just processed everything online.

So just to confirm you and you’re wife are both in Qatar right now?
That’s correct. I had concerns whether that would be allowed, but our immigration lawyer confirmed that they don’t care whether the PGWP holder is in Canada or not. As long as the PGWP is valid, the spouse is eligible (save for the PGWP holder being employed in a highly skilled occupation)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That’s correct. I had concerns whether that would be allowed, but our immigration lawyer confirmed that they don’t care whether the PGWP holder is in Canada or not. As long as the PGWP is valid, the spouse is eligible (save for the PGWP holder being employed in a highly skilled occupation)
You do have to also submit a letter from your work confirming your full-time employment in NOC 0, A and B and 3 pay stubs to get the spousal owp so normally you would be I Canada working unless you are on holidays.

cccan

May 6, 2018
You do have to also submit a letter from your work confirming your full-time employment in NOC 0, A and B and 3 pay stubs to get the spousal owp so normally you would be I Canada working unless you are on holidays.
No, you don’t need to necessarily be working in Canada. Direct excerpt below
As for the stubs, they serve the same purpose as your bank account - to confirm your financial status.
———————————————————
Spouses or common-law partners of skilled workers [C41]
Spouses or common-law partners of skilled people coming to Canada as foreign workers may themselves be authorized to work without first having an offer of employment. A dependent spouse is eligible to apply for an open work permit if the principal foreign worker

• holds a work permit that is valid for a period of at least six months, or, if working under the authority of section R186 without a work permit, presents evidence that they will be working for a minimum of six months;
  • is employed in an occupation that falls within National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill levels 0, A or B (which generally include management and professional occupations and technical or skilled trades [see the NOC website]);
  • physically resides or plans to physically reside in Canada while working.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, you don’t need to necessarily be working in Canada. Direct excerpt below
As for the stubs, they serve the same purpose as your bank account - to confirm your financial status.
———————————————————
Spouses or common-law partners of skilled workers [C41]
Spouses or common-law partners of skilled people coming to Canada as foreign workers may themselves be authorized to work without first having an offer of employment. A dependent spouse is eligible to apply for an open work permit if the principal foreign worker

• holds a work permit that is valid for a period of at least six months, or, if working under the authority of section R186 without a work permit, presents evidence that they will be working for a minimum of six months;
  • is employed in an occupation that falls within National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill levels 0, A or B (which generally include management and professional occupations and technical or skilled trades [see the NOC website]);
  • physically resides or plans to physically reside in Canada while working.
That is not for spouses of PGWP.

cccan

May 6, 2018
That is not for spouses of PGWP.
Yes it is, another excerpt below - as a spouse of a PGWP holder, you are applying under a C41 exemption, the text for which I’ve included above.

——————————————————-

Spouses or common-law partners of post-graduation work permit holders
If the principal applicant is a holder of an open work permit (e.g., post-graduation work permit, Working Holiday work permit), their spouse or common-law partner who is applying for the C41 exemption will need to attach a copy of the principal applicant’s work permit to their own application for an open work permit, along with proof that the principal applicant is employed in an occupation in skill level 0, A or B. The applicant’s spouse or common-law partner will also need to provide information about the principal applicant’s employment by attaching supporting documents, including the following:

• a letter from their current employer confirming employment or a copy of their employment offer or contract
  • a copy of 3 of their pay stubs

Pinky2587

Star Member
Jun 27, 2018
But how come your wife is in Qatar if she has PGWP? Did she leave Canada after her studies?