+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

MGR@2020

May 28, 2020
Hi All,
Can someone please advise me on the spousal Sponsorship approach based on my case
1. I am currently in Canada with my wife.
2. I am holding a closed work permit and my wife holds the dependent temporary VISA.
3. I have my PR application applied as Spouse non accompanying in progress (Submitted in August,2020)
My question is what should be the best approach to apply for spousal Sponsorship once my PR is approved in this situation ? Does my wife needs to go back to home country if my PR is approved or I can just apply for spousal Sponsorship once my PR is approved and my wife does not need to go back ? Really appreciate if you can please help in this regard.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Hi All,
Can someone please advise me on the spousal Sponsorship approach based on my case
1. I am currently in Canada with my wife.
2. I am holding a closed work permit and my wife holds the dependent temporary VISA.
3. I have my PR application applied as Spouse non accompanying in progress (Submitted in August,2020)
My question is what should be the best approach to apply for spousal Sponsorship once my PR is approved in this situation ? Does my wife needs to go back to home country if my PR is approved or I can just apply for spousal Sponsorship once my PR is approved and my wife does not need to go back ? Really appreciate if you can please help in this regard.
Edit: My reply below is wrong. I misunderstood the original post.

You should change your PR application to add your spouse there. Otherwise you risk not being able to sponsor her in the future.

Last edited:

MGR@2020

May 28, 2020
You should change your PR application to add your spouse there. Otherwise you risk not being able to sponsor her in the future.
Thanks for your input . Can you please let me know the process of adding spouse in my existing application ? I don't see any option in online application to add spouse. Also adding my spouse will reduce my point to below the cut off on which I received the ITA so will that be a problem ? Please advise. Thanks so much in advance .

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Since he has included spouse as non-accompanying, there should be no issue with sponsoring her in future. I don't however know about process of adding spouse to an ongoing PR application, nor how it affects the qualification calculation.

Reactions: DimT44

MGR@2020

May 28, 2020
Since he has included spouse as non-accompanying, there should be no issue with sponsoring her in future. I don't however know about process of adding spouse to an ongoing PR application, nor how it affects the qualification calculation.
Thank you so much for your input ..got a relief now :)

Feb 6, 2020
Hello everyone. I am a PR and going to sponsor my wife. We’ve almost gathered all the documents as we are going to submit a paper file. I’ve one doubt if we can do an upfront medical for my wife or just do it after we get a request for her medical?

MGR@2020

May 28, 2020
To underline, you did exactly the right thing (declare spouse as unaccompanying) to make sure you will be able to sponsor your spouse in future.
Thanks again for your help . One last question - So I can just apply for the spousal sponsorship once I receive my PR and my wife does not need go back to my home country ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks again for your help . One last question - So I can just apply for the spousal sponsorship once I receive my PR and my wife does not need go back to my home country ?
It may be possible in some form but i don't know much about her current type of entry or possibility to extend.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My wife has come with me as a dependent and so she is holding a visitor VISA till Nov ,2022
If it is a regular visitor visa, she can apply to extend her visit. These extension requests are usually not refused (at least for one extension).

Note, the visa validity is not the same thing as her leave to stay in Canada upon each visit - usually six months from date of entry. She must extend that stay before the time runs out.

MGR@2020

May 28, 2020
If it is a regular visitor visa, she can apply to extend her visit. These extension requests are usually not refused (at least for one extension).

Note, the visa validity is not the same thing as her leave to stay in Canada upon each visit - usually six months from date of entry. She must extend that stay before the time runs out.
Actually I am here with closed work permit and her visitor visa we applied considering her as my dependent..so basically she can stay with me untill my work permit expires.And if my work permit gets extended further in case I don't receive PR by that time ,will apply for her visitor visa extension as well at the same time. Thanks for all your input ..

vignesh20505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2015
CRA website is down. Any thought on how I can get my notice of assessment from any other source? I have to apply for spouse sponsorship. THanks.

@dasha0609

Star Member
Aug 24, 2019
Hi guys,
I am a PR holder and I’m about to submit for Outland sponsorship. I know it’s a very stupid question, but is there some sort of statistic or approval rate for spousal sponsorships? Does it 100% go through if the case is clear and easy?