+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

StSt1515

Oct 15, 2021
If he'll need to travel back and forth, outland is better. If he does outland, though, cannot apply for open work permit.

Generally no need to hire a lawyer - it's intimidating at first but manageable.
Thank you for that input! Just wanted to add that after our vacation out of Canada in Dec, I will be back and my husband will be staying in Canada with me for 5months then travel for 2 weeks, come back again for 5months, out for 2 weeks. So basically he will spend at least 10.5 months out of 12 in 2022 in Canada. Do you still think Inland PR sponsorship is not possible?

Apart from that had other questions:
1. Once we start the application inland/outland, can I (Sponsor) leave Canada for few months? Is there a limit of days I can go out of Canada?
2. Does the Spousal PR application get any points based on work experience of the person being sponsored?
3. Is there a way to share details of any immigration law firm that you or someone you know have had a good experience with on this?

dcowboys

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
Anyone know escalation process or how to get an update on PR card? Landed on July 3 and timeframe was 62 days for PR card but been almost 4 months and still nothing.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for that input! Just wanted to add that after our vacation out of Canada in Dec, I will be back and my husband will be staying in Canada with me for 5months then travel for 2 weeks, come back again for 5months, out for 2 weeks. So basically he will spend at least 10.5 months out of 12 in 2022 in Canada. Do you still think Inland PR sponsorship is not possible?
Up to you to decide - can't say. Again the only real benefit I can see would be possiblity of open work permit during process - but that might be at end of process and you say your spouse is working.

1. Once we start the application inland/outland, can I (Sponsor) leave Canada for few months? Is there a limit of days I can go out of Canada?
As a PR, you must be resident in Canada throughout the process. Short trips specifically allowed. What's "short?" No definition - under a month best. Want to stay longer, at your risk - they can cancel the app with basically no appeal (realistically).

Note that if you're unemployed, that won't exactly strengthen the case for saying you reside in Canada.

2. Does the Spousal PR application get any points based on work experience of the person being sponsored?
No, there are no points at all in spousal sponsorship. It might be a very minor positive in terms of good will from the visa officer. And depending on other factors might strengthen case that relationship is real (but not always, in some cases, might be the opposite).

Reactions: StSt1515

leomessi1

Star Member
Apr 12, 2020
VFS is sending passport to Singapore though the VO is London, is that okay? They said Singapore is where they send the passports from the PA’s country.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
VFS is sending passport to Singapore though the VO is London, is that okay? They said Singapore is where they send the passports from the PA’s country.
Yes. They typically send to closest office with the equipment and people. Or whatever works for them. Irrelevant for the applicant.

leomessi1

Star Member
Apr 12, 2020
Yes. They typically send to closest office with the equipment and people. Or whatever works for them. Irrelevant for the applicant.
Thanks so much for the info. We were really worried as her file was processed in London but they sent it to Singapore. I sent a note to London VO just in case about what happened.

StSt1515

Oct 15, 2021
Thanks a lot. It makes sense now to go through the Outland Sponsorship route after coming back to Canada in Jan 2021 from my travel.

Usmanjamil

Oct 13, 2014
I have applied for my wife and new born's Family sponsorship application.

The timeline is as follows so far,

1. We received your application for permanent residence on January 7, 2021.
  2. We started processing your application on March 24, 2021.
  3. We sent you medical instructions on June 7, 2021. To avoid delays, please provide us the information requested in the letter as soon as possible. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  4. Medical results have been received.
Since, then i have heard nothing.

but today i received an email from zstest@example.com <ircc.commdonotreply-nepasrepondrecomm.ircc@cic.gc.ca>

and body of email is just this,

"Test IRCC Email"

any1 has any clue of what it could mean?

online status still shows in process though.

Canjeero

Star Member
Feb 3, 2020
Ontario, Canada
How long does it take for address change to appear on ECAS? I submitted during the last week of September and the old address is still listed as of today. I sent a webform to the visa office as well two weeks ago and no response. :rolleyes:

shahzeba6

Star Member
Jan 3, 2019
Leaving Canada during processing to sponsor a spouse, common-law partner in Canada

After mailing the application, it is recommended that the sponsored person remains in Canada until the application isapproved. If they choose to leave Canada, an officer will need to ask them questions to ensure they meet all requirements before allowing them to re-enter Canada and avoid having their application considered as abandoned due to their absence.

If the sponsored person plans to travel outside Canada during the application process, or if they have not been allowed to return to Canada after leaving the country:

• They should consider submitting an Application to sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent childoutside Canada to the Case Processing Centre,
    • if a sponsorship application from inside Canada was already submitted, a request to withdraw that application should be sent and approved by the CPC in Mississauga before a new application is submitted.
Should you require more information on sponsoring a spouse or common-law partner, please visit our website.
hey, I need more information on this.

so you mean to say, the sponsor have to stay in Canada until the whole sponsoring process?

I just recently received my PR and my spouse is outland in UAE. I would to sponsor my wife while I am in Canada. I am planning to leave Canada after a month. Question is that, Do I have to stay in Canada? Its been 2 years, I haven't met them due to covid. and I want to go back and stay with my wife for a longer period- more than 6 months and at the same time- I have applied the sponsorship for them- is this going to be Okay?
Please shed some information on this, Thanks

shahzeba6

Star Member
Jan 3, 2019
As long as you are in Canada when you apply (and remain through the process), you can apply right away.

I don't know about that particular link/portal. This one has a link and discussion of the new pilot programme for spousal sponsorship.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/outland-sponsorship-online-application.737998/

If you look carefully, it is a new, pilot programme - only a few weeks old - so there are very few who have reported here applying through it.

Obviously in principle online should be quicker and subject to 'data issues'/confirmation. But it's new and no-one knows. The paper applications at least here are well known and people can say how to do them (mostly); online you may be on your own a bit.

Up to you to decide.
Hi,

I would like to know how much longer to we have to stay in Canada through the sponsorship process of sponsoring the spouse? Is it important to stay in Canada? I want to sponsor my wife, but I really need to go back for like more than 6 months minimum. and I can come back to Canada at any time if required.
The sponsoring time is 12 months so do I have to stay all the 12 months in Canada?
I am not able to find answers regarding this,
I will appreciate if you can shed some info on this. Thanks

sumaiama

Star Member
Nov 23, 2019
How long does it take for address change to appear on ECAS? I submitted during the last week of September and the old address is still listed as of today. I sent a webform to the visa office as well two weeks ago and no response. :rolleyes:
Hey , i submitted address change for about 1 month and half ago , it never really changed in the online account

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
hey, I need more information on this.

so you mean to say, the sponsor have to stay in Canada until the whole sponsoring process?

I just recently received my PR and my spouse is outland in UAE. I would to sponsor my wife while I am in Canada. I am planning to leave Canada after a month. Question is that, Do I have to stay in Canada? Its been 2 years, I haven't met them due to covid. and I want to go back and stay with my wife for a longer period- more than 6 months and at the same time- I have applied the sponsorship for them- is this going to be Okay?
Please shed some information on this, Thanks
The post above was about the sponsored person, not the sponsor.

For the sponsor:
If you are a PR, you are expected to be resident in Canada throughout the process to sponsor. If you need to go back for six months, start your sponsorship after returning. Unfortunate that you didn't apply to sponsor during the period of separation due to covid.

There is much discussion of this, see for example, here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/leaving-canada-temporarily-while-spouses-pr-outland-is-in-progress-sponser-being-pr-and-sponsorship-eligibility-is-approved.696170/page-7#post-9759225

Leaving for 'short trips' is explicitly allowed, no definition of short trips provided. Would expect that it means less than a month. If you wish to spend more time abroad, it's at your own risk and your own problem if application rejected.

You will see some say that this provision is not always enforced - which is true. But sometimes it is - as the case linked to shows.

Reactions: YVR123

Chaku1526

Oct 29, 2021
Hi All,
Need some insight or if anyone had the same experience as us. We submitted my husband’s inland spouse sponsorship application in Jan 2019 and received Procedural fairness letter in June 2021 asking about why I did not declare him as my common law in my PR application in 2017 under CEC category because of our same address. We were sharing place with other international students and workers at that time and had same residential and mailing address but were not in a common law. We got married in 2018 and I sponsored him in 2019. We responded to the PFL with all the supporting letters and documents in July 2021 and are still waiting for the response from IRCC. We will be welcoming our first child next month and getting stressed with each passing minute because of this.
What is the success rate after responding to PFL? It is been so long waiting for the response. If anybody had the same experience please share.
Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi All,
Need some insight or if anyone had the same experience as us. We submitted my husband’s inland spouse sponsorship application in Jan 2019 and received Procedural fairness letter in June 2021 asking about why I did not declare him as my common law in my PR application in 2017 under CEC category because of our same address. We were sharing place with other international students and workers at that time and had same residential and mailing address but were not in a common law. We got married in 2018 and I sponsored him in 2019. We responded to the PFL with all the supporting letters and documents in July 2021 and are still waiting for the response from IRCC. We will be welcoming our first child next month and getting stressed with each passing minute because of this.
What is the success rate after responding to PFL? It is been so long waiting for the response. If anybody had the same experience please share.
Thank you.
Order your gcms. Not really feasible to say what chances are - there have been a few other such cases, including one not long ago here. You'll have to search though. It really does come down to whether your info about living in shared accommodation (eg student life) was convincing.

Reactions: YVR123