+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Vipul.puri08

Dec 9, 2020
Hi. Is there anyone who can guide a little bit please.? I am in canada, i filed my wife’s PR, who is in INDIA, in August 2020, and she got her medicals done on 2nd feb, 2021 and medicals were update on 7th feb,2021. And today the file is sent to V.O New Delhi. How long would it take approximately.?

Fatima25

Mar 3, 2021
Hello, i wanted to sponsor my spouse so i sent all documents needed , but i forgot to sent the receipt , i would like to know what shall i do inorder to have my documents back and resend them with the receipt ? hanks for the help

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
Hi all, I'm in a tough situation right now. My CoPR expired last year as I did not travel due to the pandemic. After waiting tirelessly for IRCC's next steps to travel, I decided to not postpone my wedding further, and got married a month ago.

On creating Web Form requests, the responses have been very vague. I was told that they would not be able to add my spouse since my application has already been approved. However, I did interact with a couple of folks who are in a similar situation with an expired CoPR, and were asked to submit documents for the spouse.

Now, I have been asked to add my spouse through the spousal sponsorship program. The thing that makes all of this complicated is, I am yet to complete my landing (with my expired CoPR) to be officially termed as a PR. From what I understand, the spousal sponsorship route requires the primary applicant to be present in Canada.

What options do I have? I would highly appreciate your advice.

frange

May 25, 2018
Hello, i wanted to sponsor my spouse so i sent all documents needed , but i forgot to sent the receipt , i would like to know what shall i do inorder to have my documents back and resend them with the receipt ? hanks for the help
When did you send your application? Likely it will be returned.
1- Send an explanation letter with the receipt through the webform.
2- Put all the information related to you, your spouse as well.
3-Keep a copy of the receipt for your own record in case they can't locate your file; eventually you will use in the future.

Anshika Gupta

Feb 3, 2021
Hi. Is there anyone who can guide a little bit please.? I am in canada, i filed my wife’s PR, who is in INDIA, in August 2020, and she got her medicals done on 2nd feb, 2021 and medicals were update on 7th feb,2021. And today the file is sent to V.O New Delhi. How long would it take approximately.?
Looking for a reply

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
@armoured / @frange / @Kraken_123 , could you please share your insights, if possible?

Hi all, I'm in a tough situation right now. My CoPR expired last year as I did not travel due to the pandemic. After waiting tirelessly for IRCC's next steps to travel, I decided to not postpone my wedding further, and got married a month ago.

On creating Web Form requests, the responses have been very vague. I was told that they would not be able to add my spouse since my application has already been approved. However, I did interact with a couple of folks who are in a similar situation with an expired CoPR, and were asked to submit documents for the spouse.

Now, I have been asked to add my spouse through the spousal sponsorship program. The thing that makes all of this complicated is, I am yet to complete my landing (with my expired CoPR) to be officially termed as a PR. From what I understand, the spousal sponsorship route requires the primary applicant to be present in Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Unusual situation. At any rate as a PR, you would only be able to sponsor once you are physically in Canada. So I would focus on getting your authorisation to travel/revised COPR and landing.

I assume but do not know that you will need to disclose your spouse on your physical landing. I don't know what else you can do.

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
Unusual situation. At any rate as a PR, you would only be able to sponsor once you are physically in Canada. So I would focus on getting your authorisation to travel/revised COPR and landing.

I assume but do not know that you will need to disclose your spouse on your physical landing. I don't know what else you can do.
Are you referring to it as unusual because there have been cases where the CoPR has been extended to include the spouse? I have been in touch with a couple of people on this forum who have actually gone through the same phase - expired CoPR while adding a spouse.

Also, won't my previous CoPR be deemed invalid since I had filed it while I was single?

umar1100

Sep 4, 2020
HI,
I want to sponsor my spouse using InLand. I have collected all the necessary documents. I have one question regarding passport. Is it necessary for her to get a new passport with Husband's name on it or her previous passport with her Fathers name is fine? Thanks

esam99

Nov 4, 2020
HI,
I want to sponsor my spouse using InLand. I have collected all the necessary documents. I have one question regarding passport. Is it necessary for her to get a new passport with Husband's name on it or her previous passport with her Fathers name is fine? Thanks
her original passport is fine

Reactions: umar1100

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Are you referring to it as unusual because there have been cases where the CoPR has been extended to include the spouse? I have been in touch with a couple of people on this forum who have actually gone through the same phase - expired CoPR while adding a spouse.

Also, won't my previous CoPR be deemed invalid since I had filed it while I was single?
If you have been in touch with others, then sure, less unusual - their experience can perhaps help. But partly I meant that this sequence wasn't really anticipated in process - before, your COPR expired, that was it, you lost your app, start over. It's only in covid they've let those with expired coprs do something (as far as I'm aware anyway).

I don't know what to recommend to you apart from getting to Canada - you've already advised IRCC. (Although when you do land, I would be sure to inform on landing of the change and that this is reflected in the doc, even handwritten, when you sign the COPR during the landing process)

humzaparvez8

Mar 4, 2021
So you are in the situation that you want to sponsor your foreign spouse for permanent residency of Canada and don't know where to start. Here are some tips:

Married, common law or conjugal partners

First you need to pick an application class. There are three of them: married, common-law and conjugal. For all of them, you need to prove the genuineity of your relationship. For common-law, you need to prove that you have lived together for 12 months or longer. For conjugal, you need to prove that you have combined your affairs as much as possible but there are real immigration barriers or other barriers preventing you from living together or getting married. Conjugal is the hardest to prove. For example, if your partner could get a visit visa to come to Canada for 6 months and then apply for an extension to get the full year, even though they will not be allowed to work, that is not considered an immigration barrier. An immigration barrier is if your partner tries to get a visit visa to come to Canada and is repeatedly refused. Some people have had luck with the conjugal class but try to avoid it if possible.

Outland or inland?

Now you need to decide if to apply outland or inland. If your spouse is not in Canada and can not get a visa to go to Canada, you must apply outland. That means that you will send your application to Mississauga and they will approve you as a sponsor. The time that takes is usually 1-2 months to but current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship After that, the application is forwarded to your local visa office. If your spouse is residing in a country other than the country of their nationality, you can pick which of the two visa offices you want. Otherwise it will be processed in their country of nationality. You can see the processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

If your spouse is staying in Canada as a visitor or on some other visa, you can pick whether you want to apply outland or inland. Outland is generally faster and has appeal rights but a downside to outland is that if an interview is required, your spouse will have to travel to the visa office in the country where it's being processed. Inland has the downside that it's generally not advised that your spouse travels while you are waiting for your processing because it is a requirement of inland that they reside in Canada and if they are denied entry at the border for some reason, your application is gone. If an interview is required for inland, you may also have to wait a long time for it. The inland application would be sent to Vegreville and if all goes well, you would get a first stage approval, usually in 6 to 8 months. The current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#perm_res Then the file is forwarded to your local CIC office where you live and they will contact you for a landing appointment. Getting the PR with inland usually takes 12-18 months. If an interview is required for inland, Vegreville will not give first stage approval but instead will forward the application to the local CIC office without it and you will have to wait for them to have time for your interview. In some cases that can take a year or two. If you do get the first stage approval, your spouse will usually be eligible for health care and an open work permit. It is actually a good idea when applying inland to send an application form for a visit visa extension as well as the open work permit to be given at first stage approval all in one package so it's tied together.

Which method to pick depends on your situation. If your spouses country of nationality has a long processing time or your spouse does not want to have to travel there for a possible interview, then inland is the way to go. For faster processing and freedom of travel during the processing time, outland would be better. You can find the application forms for inland at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp and the application forms for outland at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Avoiding potential problems with your application

The most common reason for people to be called for an interview is that the visa officer has doubts about the relationship being genuine. It is up to you to send immigration some quality data, emails, chat logs, phone records, photos, letters and other material to prove to them that your relationship is the real thing. Other reasons you might have problems with is eligibility of the sponsor. The sponsor can not be on social assistance, can not be bankrupt and can not have a record of violent crimes or crimes against family members. If that is the case, better talk to a lawyer and get that cleared up before attempting to apply.

Dependent children

If your spouse has dependent children, they must be included in the PR application, even if they are not coming to Canada. They will need to have medicals as well to keep the option open to sponsor them later. The only way that immigration will accept the application without those medicals is if the children are no longer minors and refuse to have it or if the children are in the full custody of their other parent who refuses to make them available for medicals. In that case, your spouse needs to sign a statement stating that they know that they will never be able to sponsor these children to Canada in the future.

Dependent children are classified as single and either under 22 years of age or if they are older, they must have been full time students since before age 22 or dependent on their parent due to a disability or medical problem.

Refusals due to income and medicals

You will be asked to provide information about your income but you will not be denied to sponsor your spouse and dependent children because you do not make enough money. It is possible though that if you make absolutely no money at all that immigration may ask you how you plan to support yourselves.

Spouses and dependent children are also exempt from the clause about excessive demand on health care so you do not have to worry about them being refused for that reason.

Sponsoring your spouse while living in another country

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your spouse without being in Canada but you do then have to prove that you are planning on moving to Canada when your spouse gets approved for permanent residency. Such proof can include having arranged jobs, being accepted to college, having arranged housing or letters from friends & relatives stating that they know of your plans and that you can stay with them while you look for housing etc.

If you are a PR, you must reside in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse. You can chance short vacations (remember that a Canadian vacation is generally no longer than 2 weeks) but if immigration finds out that you are not in Canada, you risk getting your application refused.

I live in India with my wife and father and I'm applying for Canada PR with my wife but I also want my father to come with me. So what's the procedure for the same.