+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

macord2k20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2020
we applied 2nd Dec 2020, approved 16 Dec 2020, be prepared to include s much infor as you can, as the officer will decide based on what you present, my agent helped me a little, I did my own research too based on the Covid-19 requirements
what info you put on your cover letter or invitation letter (i mean besides personal info)

zhouliehui

Oct 6, 2020
To whom it may concern:

I am writing this letter to invite my wife (Mrs. Passport No. ) to visit me in Canada this coming December/January for a period of three months to see the wonderful winter we have in Canada, my kids and my wife haven’t seen snow in their life.

The purpose of her trip mainly is to bring our children(all Canadian Citizens) to be with me, the children has to start getting used to Canadian way of life and start watching Hockey and enjoy all the fun in summer fishing and get spoiled by Canadian way of life (have a great and happy child hood). My wife married me in 2009, and we have three lovely kids together who are 1.5 years old, nine years old and eleven years old. My wife used to live in China with children, that’s why I always live in China before. But now I have made a decision to set up a restaurant in Ontario and I hope our children can have the education in Canada.

During her visits, she will stay with me at the address below and I will be responsible for all her expenses including the round trip air fares to Canada, food, housing, travelling within Canada, medical insurance and all of her other expenses.

My kids have missed school due to Covid-19, it is imperative for them to go to school in Canada ASAP. Also there is a Covid Red right now in Canada, I am afraid I might be affected, if I ever fall ill, nobody will be able to take care of me, vice versa, and the whole family will get stucked. Physically I am ok now, but I will be on blood pressure medication to reduce my chance of getting sick.

I will make sure that my wife will leave Canada before the expiration of her authorized stay, she will bring our 1.5 years old baby back to China eventhough I will surely miss them very much especially our lovely son.

The 2 elder kids can stay with me to continue their education as they are older, school buses will bring them to school and back to my restaurant everyday, it will be difficult as they will miss the mom and the baby, but we have to follow the Temporary Residence Rules to go back to China once the visa expired.We have never break any law in our life and we believe the chance of coming to Canada is a priviledge.

Canadian are good at following the rules and the law, we believe in the honour and trust system that has been in place in Canada for many many generations, and there is no way we will break that trust system, and we do believe my wife sponsorship will be approved down the road. Three months visiting visa should be ok for us, so we can hopefully spend the Christmas and Chinese New Year together,

Reactions: mike2941

zhouliehui

Oct 6, 2020
My kids haven’t seen Christmas in Canada, and they will love to meet Santa for the first time in their life.

Please kindly grant my wife a Temporary Resident Visa. The children can enter on with their Canadian passports.

Your favorable consideration regarding her visa application will be greatly appreciated. If you have any question regarding this matter, please kindly contact me as bellow.

Sincerely,

Conclusion, try to write a passionate letter, family being together during Covid-19 to support each other is important, the spouse plan to go back also important

Reactions: mike2941

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To whom it may concern:

I am writing this letter to invite my wife (Mrs. Passport No. ) to visit me in Canada this coming December/January for a period of three months to see the wonderful winter we have in Canada, my kids and my wife haven’t seen snow in their life.

The purpose of her trip mainly is to bring our children(all Canadian Citizens) to be with me, the children has to start getting used to Canadian way of life and start watching Hockey and enjoy all the fun in summer fishing and get spoiled by Canadian way of life (have a great and happy child hood). My wife married me in 2009, and we have three lovely kids together who are 1.5 years old, nine years old and eleven years old. My wife used to live in China with children, that’s why I always live in China before. But now I have made a decision to set up a restaurant in Ontario and I hope our children can have the education in Canada.

During her visits, she will stay with me at the address below and I will be responsible for all her expenses including the round trip air fares to Canada, food, housing, travelling within Canada, medical insurance and all of her other expenses.

My kids have missed school due to Covid-19, it is imperative for them to go to school in Canada ASAP. Also there is a Covid Red right now in Canada, I am afraid I might be affected, if I ever fall ill, nobody will be able to take care of me, vice versa, and the whole family will get stucked. Physically I am ok now, but I will be on blood pressure medication to reduce my chance of getting sick.

I will make sure that my wife will leave Canada before the expiration of her authorized stay, she will bring our 1.5 years old baby back to China eventhough I will surely miss them very much especially our lovely son.

The 2 elder kids can stay with me to continue their education as they are older, school buses will bring them to school and back to my restaurant everyday, it will be difficult as they will miss the mom and the baby, but we have to follow the Temporary Residence Rules to go back to China once the visa expired.We have never break any law in our life and we believe the chance of coming to Canada is a priviledge.

Canadian are good at following the rules and the law, we believe in the honour and trust system that has been in place in Canada for many many generations, and there is no way we will break that trust system, and we do believe my wife sponsorship will be approved down the road. Three months visiting visa should be ok for us, so we can hopefully spend the Christmas and Chinese New Year together,
Disagree with man if your recommendations. Canada doesn't want to see people visiting temporarily because the means risking importing covid based on a visit. In your example your wife got approved because it was in the best interest of the Canadian children. Saying things like wanting to see snow is tourism reasons and not an essential reason to travel during a pandemic. There is no need to be so cheesy and stereotypical and mention things like hockey and fishing which are also non-essential reasons. Talking about following the rules and laws also doesn't mean much because she can legally request an extension. Purchasing private health insurance is a good thing to highlight.

Just fyi, of you do fall sick you should isolate from your family. Hopefully you have something like a basement where you'd be able to quarantine or your local public health may have a covid centre for those without enough room to quarantine in their home. When your family arrives from China they must isolate from you for 14 days. It is likely easier to give them the home and you live in a separate area (hopefully a basement with a bathroom or even a room at your restaurant.

userpg

Star Member
Feb 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2015, received by CIC: 15-05-2015
AOR Received.
18-06-2015
File Transfer...
SA: 15-07-2015, AOR2: 06-08-2015
Med's Done....
18-03-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2015
LANDED..........
07-12-2015 :)
Hi guys.
I was accepted under Spousal Sponsorship 5 years ago I applied for a PR card renewal on August 28th. Nova Scotia office (I am in New Brunswick right now). My card expires in February 2021.
I got an email from the Nova Scotia office on November 6th letting me know that they received my application on September 4st.
I checked on my application on-line this week and the status says 'Decision made' (I also checked on the 4th of December and there was no news about it back than).
I assume the decision was made around 20th of December, since the waiting time is now about 105 days.

I understand that I have to wait for the decision later.
What is next?

1. How long does it take them to actually produce the card?
2. How long (after the decision letter will arrive to my mail) do I have to pick up the card (if I have to pick it up in person)?
3. Do I have to go to pick up my card in person (regarding to Covid)? Or are the cards being shipped to your mail? Generally speaking I live outside of Canada, however I am in Canada right now).
4. My old card expires on February 13th 2021. Can I leave Canada and come pick up the new card in a few months?

I am here, in Canada for a few weeks. However, I have to go back to Europe ASAP. I have to rebook my tickets so I have to know how much time the process will take and how it works.
I ma afraid that if I leave soon, I will have problems coming back, since my card will expire in February 2021 and I won't have enough time to pick up or receive the new card.
Please help.

mike2941

Sep 8, 2020
Category........
Other
Here's the authentic source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-assessing-sponsor.html

I've bolded the key parts. If you believe that 'short holidays or business trips' applies to longer periods, that's at your own risk. Similarly it's quite clear that since they refer to 'ship crew or seasonal workers', the intent is not to apply to (for example) those that can work remotely and decide to leave Canada to do so.

Also note that the instructions make it clear that the sponsor must be eligible (i.e. residing in Canada save for the trips referred to) until the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.

Some here have claimed that it's enough to show you have a principal residence in Canada - but it's quite clear from above that maintaining a principal residence in Canada is NOT sufficient to be considered as 'residing in Canada'. (That's the structure of this instruction: those who maintain principal residence in Canada are not in violation if they take short trips - but if longer trips, they are).

Unfortuantely it is true that they have not defined exactly what period of time is considered a short trip.
Thanks for valid Info...

Lyndsea

Jul 11, 2020
I am trying get my husband a temporary resident visa " TRV " so he can visit me before our spousal sponsorship is complete. Is it for him to fill out and submit or me?

HN215

Feb 8, 2019
Hi,
My mother in law ( widowed)has been in Canada since December 2019 with visitor visa. As Covid, she can’t travel back to her home country. As with visitor visa, each stay can only be 6 months. She applied a visitor record in July 2020 to extend her stay but we haven’t heard any feedback yet from immigration.
During her stay here in Canada, she’s in a new relationship and just married a Canadian man in December 2020. He now wants to sponsor her to get PR and become a Canadian.
I have a few questions that need your kind help:
1. Should she submit the application now or wait for some months ? They lived together for some months but just got married in December 2020.
2. if submitting the application, during the processing time, can she fly back to her country for a month or 2 months then br back with her visitor visa? ( assuming that Her country would allow international flights) Now she can’t as her country closes all borders to stop Covid.
3. May I know the current processing time? Any big delay affected by Covid?
4. as she still have an application for visitor record, should she withdraw that application before submitting the sponsorship application?
thanks so much for your all info.

Last edited:

koxinel

Dec 6, 2017
According to the spreadsheets there are many PPRs issued from Ottawa to outlanders on the same day (Dec 31, for applications spreading from Mar to May). Either it's a spreadsheet glitch, or Ottawa is processing in batches now. I wonder why they would do that...
Where is the passport mailed to for Ottawa applications? The local embassy?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
According to the spreadsheets there are many PPRs issued from Ottawa to outlanders on the same day (Dec 31, for applications spreading from Mar to May). Either it's a spreadsheet glitch, or Ottawa is processing in batches now. I wonder why they would do that...
Where is the passport mailed to for Ottawa applications? The local embassy?
The minister announced a target for completed applications a few months ago, looks like they were pulling out all stops to meet those numbers or at least get closer.

Ottawa applications are like other files: individual will mail to local embassy or in Canada depending on where the applicant is physically located.

The passport request letters typically (always as far as I'm aware) provide instructions to send to local vfs office by country OR if in Canada to send to [some Canadian address.]

The instructions also provide slightly different instructions (both options) for individuals carrying passports of visa waiver countries or non-visa waiver countries (those who need visas must send the physical passport to have a visa inserted - although to be honest here I don't recall whether that is necessary for those already physically in Canada).

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I am trying get my husband a temporary resident visa " TRV " so he can visit me before our spousal sponsorship is complete. Is it for him to fill out and submit or me?
Your husband should be the one to do the application, of course you can help with details if needed. The application can only be done on-line at this time. Current processing time is 7-8 months unfortunately.

2future

Star Member
Sep 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
o3.o3.2011
AOR Received.
18.o3.2011
Hi, I need help. I am a Canadian citizen. My wife us a US citizen. I plan to start my application process. The question is that I am a student, I do not work but get funding from the government which is enough to live on. Will this be a problem for sponsorship? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. We have been married over a year.

Abhinandhan7

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Hi Friends, I have a question regarding spousal sponsorship webform. I am a sponsor PR. We sent outland application recently in October. However we would like to send an updated version of imm5406 through webdorm. Is there a way we can send the webform without linking the application? We are unable to link becuase we dont have UCi number for spouse and application number. But I saw this link https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp . In this web form link, it looks like they have mentioned that if we do not know UCI number, we can put 00000000. Can we use this link to upload imm5406 webform in the absence of temporary application number and UCI?