+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Miffyjessica

Jul 9, 2020
We already sent the form to us on Feb 2020 (Sponsoring spouse for outland), but we still have not received any feedback/information until now.
So, we can not check any update information on their on-line services. Do you have any other method to check the status
or just only waiting their notice? Moreover, I will move my home in coming date, how can I inform them to change my mail address?

Muns59

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Hi all. I would like some advice.

My mom, a Canadian Citizen, wants to sponsor her husband( my dad) - she is living in Canada and he is living abroad.

The only confusion is , in 2008 my mom as the Principal Applicant applied for PR and received Immigrant Visas for herself, my dad and us - kids. I do not have the application details but I can only guess he would have been considered an accompanying spouse ? I don't know if there was an option for non-accompanying then.
We all landed and became PRs and then citizens but my dad never landed as a PR (Job)- continued visiting till before Covid as a visitor.

My question is can my mom sponsor my dad although he was included as her spouse when she earlier applied fo PR? He back then was previously examined and received immigrant visa . I cannot find anything official against it - I only saw in an older thread some years ago someone saying No.

Thank you so much if you can assist.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all. I would like some advice.

My mom, a Canadian Citizen, wants to sponsor her husband( my dad) - she is living in Canada and he is living abroad.

The only confusion is , in 2008 my mom as the Principal Applicant applied for PR and received Immigrant Visas for herself, my dad and us - kids. I do not have the application details but I can only guess he would have been considered an accompanying spouse ? I don't know if there was an option for non-accompanying then.
We all landed and became PRs and then citizens but my dad never landed as a PR (Job)- continued visiting till before Covid as a visitor.

My question is can my mom sponsor my dad although he was included as her spouse when she earlier applied fo PR? He back then was previously examined and received immigrant visa . I cannot find anything official against it - I only saw in an older thread some years ago someone saying No.

Thank you so much if you can assist.
Are you certain he never landed? You may need to inquire.

Muns59

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Are you certain he never landed? You may need to inquire.
Hi thanks for the reply .
yes he never “landed” .

I have the original COPR that was given back then and needed to produce and sign on landing .
he told the VO he didn’t want to become PR and they allowed him on his visitor visa and he has been coming in a visitor since.
his latest visitor visa renewal was done last year and successful

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi thanks for the reply .
yes he never “landed” .

I have the original COPR that was given back then and needed to produce and sign on landing .
he told the VO he didn’t want to become PR and they allowed him on his visitor visa and he has been coming in a visitor since.
his latest visitor visa renewal was done last year and successful
Then there is no issue and his spouse can sponsor him (if he had landed he probably would have had to renounce PR status first). I can't recall whether there is anything on the forms about previous applications, but they should just tell the truth about it. It won't hurt to include a short letter of explanation that he was previously approved but could not settle in Canada at the time due to [xxx].

This is not that uncommon if you include people having PR status and renouncing (e.g. due to not complying with residency obligation) and applying anew. (Different circumstances but my spouse had to do this and no problems).

Muns59

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Then there is no issue and his spouse can sponsor him (if he had landed he probably would have had to renounce PR status first). I can't recall whether there is anything on the forms about previous applications, but they should just tell the truth about it. It won't hurt to include a short letter of explanation that he was previously approved but could not settle in Canada at the time due to [xxx].

This is not that uncommon if you include people having PR status and renouncing (e.g. due to not complying with residency obligation) and applying anew. (Different circumstances but my spouse had to do this and no problems).
okay great thanks. Yeah I only saw one thread where someone mentioned it can’t be done. I reached out to him privately but his account has not been active in over a year.

the checklist starts out with this :

"Information About Previous Examination (to be completed by the sponsor):
The person I am sponsoring was declared as my spouse or partner and was already examined as a non-accompanying dependent when i applied for a permanent resident visa, and did not receive an immigrant visa. (Note: If you have never applied for a permanent resident visa, answer no.)"

I believe the answer in this case is No right ?

“This is not that uncommon if you include people having PR status and renouncing (e.g. due to not complying with residency obligation) and applying anew. (Different circumstances but my spouse had to do this and no problems).”

wow I did not realize this was so common. I have a colleague who landed in 2018 and with covid now their chance of making residency obligation had diminished because they currently have zero time and will be difficult moving even next year. It is an idea to renounce PR if still eligible and re-apply under EE to start anew in the future.

Talwinder22

Oct 27, 2020
Application sent 8 AUG 2020
Application received 11 AUG 2020

Got AOR, Biometrics and Medical on same day 11 NOV 2020. How can i give biometrics because VAC are closed in INDIA. What should i do now, anybody help pls

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
"Information About Previous Examination (to be completed by the sponsor):
The person I am sponsoring was declared as my spouse or partner and was already examined as a non-accompanying dependent when i applied for a permanent resident visa, and did not receive an immigrant visa. (Note: If you have never applied for a permanent resident visa, answer no.)"

I believe the answer in this case is No right ?
That's tricky because neither answer is exactly right. I guess the better answer is NO but include a letter of explanation that he received the PR visa but never landed. The alternative is to answer yes and provide the same letter, don't know which is a better answer.

“This is not that uncommon if you include people having PR status and renouncing (e.g. due to not complying with residency obligation) and applying anew. (Different circumstances but my spouse had to do this and no problems).”

wow I did not realize this was so common. I have a colleague who landed in 2018 and with covid now their chance of making residency obligation had diminished because they currently have zero time and will be difficult moving even next year. It is an idea to renounce PR if still eligible and re-apply under EE to start anew in the future.
Yes, although for family class it's more common because spouse won't usually be refused. For EE and other classes, much more difficult as must re-qualify (and for some the reducing points with age makes the difference); not at all guaranteed as other aspects of EE change.

For your colleague would still suggest preferable to return to Canada as soon as possible and maintain residency obligation; given Covid some chance they will be a bit more lenient at border (but by no means is this an exemption from residency obligation), not to mention he's not yet out of compliance. But it is possible to renounce and re-apply, yes.

Muns59

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
That's tricky because neither answer is exactly right. I guess the better answer is NO but include a letter of explanation that he received the PR visa but never landed. The alternative is to answer yes and provide the same letter, don't know which is a better answer.
yes agreed - I had no idea what to put and then I got side tracked looking up if still eligible lol .
The letter is generically addressed to Visa Officer ?

thanks for all your advice and assistance .

yes my colleague either has to come up ASAP or decide about the renounce/re-apply route weighing in the changing score for EE

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
yes agreed - I had no idea what to put and then I got side tracked looking up if still eligible lol .
The letter is generically addressed to Visa Officer ?

thanks for all your advice and assistance .

yes my colleague either has to come up ASAP or decide about the renounce/re-apply route weighing in the changing score for EE
Don't think it matters to whom it's addressed, ircc or to whom it may concern or just with a relevant title as a statement.

mumay fort

Nov 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good afternoon everyone,

*Asking for a friend.

My friend who's been here for five years as a temporary worker,has been trying to apply for permanent residency but can't pass the English proficiency exam. My question is, can his wife take over? Can she take the exam and apply for sponship instead of her husband. He was able to bring his whole family here through family class sponsorship.

Thank you to anyone who can help us bring light to this. Have a great day.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good afternoon everyone,

*Asking for a friend.

My friend who's been here for five years as a temporary worker,has been trying to apply for permanent residency but can't pass the English proficiency exam. My question is, can his wife take over? Can she take the exam and apply for sponship instead of her husband. He was able to bring his whole family here through family class sponsorship.

Thank you to anyone who can help us bring light to this. Have a great day.
It's not at all clear what you are asking.