+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Ottawagal

Aug 18, 2019
Hi,

I need guidance about spouse PR sponsorship.

Situation is that I am a Canadian PR (it's been an year), residing in Canada. I am getting married early next year and would want to file for Spouse PR , soon after marriage (spouse residing in India).

1. What is the process to file for spouse PR from India? Is it mandatory for me to return to Canada to file for spouse PR or can this be done from India?
  2. Can my spouse come on tourist visa / open work permit to Canada till the time spouse PR application getting processed?
  3. What are the requirements to file for spouse PR (documents and all)?

Please advise.

Thanks.
1. As a PR you are required to reside in Canada while sponsoring your spouse.
2. When sponsoring outland it is possible for your spouse to visit you in Canada however TRV's are not always approved for spouses. To qualify for an open work permit you need to be sponsoring inland in which case you both need to be in Canada
3. Check out https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp for the document checklist and country specific requirements

Reactions: bk2018

felicialiu

Oct 20, 2019
Hi,

I need guidance about spouse PR sponsorship.

Situation is that I am a Canadian PR (it's been an year), residing in Canada. I am getting married early next year and would want to file for Spouse PR , soon after marriage (spouse residing in India).

1. What is the process to file for spouse PR from India? Is it mandatory for me to return to Canada to file for spouse PR or can this be done from India?
  2. Can my spouse come on tourist visa / open work permit to Canada till the time spouse PR application getting processed?
  3. What are the requirements to file for spouse PR (documents and all)?
Please advise.

Thanks.
1) You can check out ircc website. There is step by step instructions like which form has to be filled by the sponsor and which to be filled by principal applicant. You and ur spouse can download all docs, read it, fill it, sign it.

I think u have to be in Canada when u file for ur application. As u r a pr and not a citizen u cannot be out of the country for extended period of tym during the application process. I think the recommended max tym u can be out of Canada is short visits like 2-3 wks.

2) earlier tourist visa used to get rejected when u r spousal application is in process. Now, b/c of covid, spouses are allowed. But still only handful TRV are accepted esp from a country like India where u have to get a visa to enter Canada. But u can always try. For open work permit, it should be an inland sponsorship where ur spouse is also in Canada.

3) download the document checklist and start to fill out applications. Send the app by mail as spousal applications are paper based.

Bacrs

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
Hi I hope someone can shed some light.. I'm an April inland applicant.. recently seeing a March applicant got their application returned for not adding zip codes in the family form imm 5406.. I checked that I also didn't include any zip codes for my family and my address in Canada. Now, I was told it'd be fine because I wrote city and country in each address.. but can someone confirm this? Specially with my address in Canada as I've read that's mandatory to add zip code in most cases

Should i send a web form clarifying these mistakes? I have the temporary AOR file number. I know the common answer would be yes, but I already sent 2 previous web forms because of other issues and now I'm scared it would impact my application negatively.. I don't know what to do please advice :(
Anyone can help me with this?

bk2018

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
1. As a PR you are required to reside in Canada while sponsoring your spouse.
2. When sponsoring outland it is possible for your spouse to visit you in Canada however TRV's are not always approved for spouses. To qualify for an open work permit you need to be sponsoring inland in which case you both need to be in Canada
3. Check out https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp for the document checklist and country specific requirements

Thank you.

How much time does it take for Spouse PR process?

bk2018

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
1) You can check out ircc website. There is step by step instructions like which form has to be filled by the sponsor and which to be filled by principal applicant. You and ur spouse can download all docs, read it, fill it, sign it.

I think u have to be in Canada when u file for ur application. As u r a pr and not a citizen u cannot be out of the country for extended period of tym during the application process. I think the recommended max tym u can be out of Canada is short visits like 2-3 wks.

2) earlier tourist visa used to get rejected when u r spousal application is in process. Now, b/c of covid, spouses are allowed. But still only handful TRV are accepted esp from a country like India where u have to get a visa to enter Canada. But u can always try. For open work permit, it should be an inland sponsorship where ur spouse is also in Canada.

3) download the document checklist and start to fill out applications. Send the app by mail as spousal applications are paper based.
Thank you for the information.

Ottawagal

Aug 18, 2019
Thank you.

How much time does it take for Spouse PR process?
I believe it used to be about 6-8 months inland, 12 months outland, but with the ongoing pandemic who knows.

Edit: those were the "aimed to have 80 % processed by" numbers. Individual cases may vary

imissmylove

Star Member
Feb 9, 2018
Guys a Question I am Canadian PR, I wanted to sponsor my wife, and I Completing her forms on behalf of her to bring her to Canada.
Now the question is ANKARA IMMIGRATION EMBASSY ASKED us to complete and send these below forms, we do not have any baby or any kid at so what should we write at IMM0008DEP with the subject of ADDITIONAL DEPENDANTS / DECLARATION FORM?
Do we need to complete this form at all when we do not have any babies?

· Generic Application Form [IMM0008]

· Schedule A [IMM5669]

· Additional Dependents/Decleration Form [IMM0008DEP] <-------

· Supplementary Information – Your Travels [IMM5562]

· Additional Family Information [IMM5406]