+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

moonflower

Jul 13, 2011
Hi.. I'm in a dilemma, so please help me out. I wish to apply for immigrant visa under the federal skilled worker class (I'm a nurse). I plan to file my application before the week ends. Now here' the thing, my fiance and I are planning to get married next month, however I want to, I can't include him yet with my current application since we're short of funds. He's expecting the money to come by early September so I plan to inform CIC of my marriage and declare him at that time. Since there will be a change in my marital status in the middle of my application, my fear is that the VO will suspect it's just wedding for convenience and deny us both. Kindly advise me on which action to take..All your replies will be very much appreciated. :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
moonflower said:
Hi.. I'm in a dilemma, so please help me out. I wish to apply for immigrant visa under the federal skilled worker class (I'm a nurse). I plan to file my application before the week ends. Now here' the thing, my fiance and I are planning to get married next month, however I want to, I can't include him yet with my current application since we're short of funds. He's expecting the money to come by early September so I plan to inform CIC of my marriage and declare him at that time. Since there will be a change in my marital status in the middle of my application, my fear is that the VO will suspect it's just wedding for convenience and deny us both. Kindly advise me on which action to take..All your replies will be very much appreciated. :)
Your question has really nothing to do with spousal sponsorship. Applying for PR together is completely different than already being a PR or a citizen and having to sponsor someone. I don't think you will have any problems.

moonflower

Jul 13, 2011
hi Leon, thanks for the reply, I guess I posted it on the wrong board but will ask another question anyway, (sorry mods/admin..). I cannot be considered a PR nor a citizen yet since I'm just starting with my application. Will it not cause me future problems if I get married in the middle of my application (where I declared I'm still single since I'm not living with my fiance)? Would you think we'd both get denied PR status/card if we can't convince them that there's a "real relationship" and not for convenience of sorts?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
moonflower said:
hi Leon, thanks for the reply, I guess I posted it on the wrong board but will ask another question anyway, (sorry mods/admin..). I cannot be considered a PR nor a citizen yet since I'm just starting with my application. Will it not cause me future problems if I get married in the middle of my application (where I declared I'm still single since I'm not living with my fiance)? Would you think we'd both get denied PR status/card if we can't convince them that there's a "real relationship" and not for convenience of sorts?
I already answered your question. Look above. I don't think you will have any problems.

S

shalom77

hi there my wife she sponserd me 2007 and i have got 1st aproval by 2010 at that time she was having full time job. naw for allongtime in case of her health condition she dosent work.and she recive income suport evry month she had a letter from her docter she cant work did this condition afect my PR prosses?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
shalom77 said:
hi there my wife she sponserd me 2007 and i have got 1st aproval by 2010 at that time she was having full time job. naw for allongtime in case of her health condition she dosent work.and she recive income suport evry month she had a letter from her docter she cant work did this condition afect my PR prosses?
Does she receive disability or welfare? If she receives disability payments - then this won't affect the PR process. If she is on welfare - then yes, this will affect the sponsorship process and could result in a refusal.

S

shalom77

hi scylla by the time we aply withen canada she was not recive welfar but naw in case of her health problem she recive.i am working

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
shalom77 said:
hi scylla by the time we aply withen canada she was not recive welfar but naw in case of her health problem she recive.i am working
She can't be on welfare at any point during the sponsorship process. If she goes on welfare, there's a high risk of a refusal.

jayde

Feb 18, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-3-2011
File Transfer...
03-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-11-2011 WOO HOO!!!
In Alberta, disability benefits are run through the same program as Welfare, it's all under the "Alberta Works" umbrella. I'm not sure how this plays out for immigration though... but she should be able to show that she is in the "not expected to work" category due to her short-term disability. I'm not sure if this is enough though?

Either way, disability benefits and welfare are BOTH Alberta Works here in Alberta... the only difference is one is categorized as "expected to work" where you have to be looking for work, and one is categorized as "not expected to work"... benefits are the same though, administrated through the same office, same application forms, same workers, same everything. I was on disability benefits... I waited until after I had recovered and had found a job in order to apply because of this very issue... I didn't want anything causing issues with our application.

lilali

Jun 9, 2011
Visa Office......
Manila,Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb.21,2011
Doc's Request.
April 14, 2011
AOR Received.
June 9, 2011
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Mar. 29, 2011
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
Feb 2011
Passport Req..
April 14, 2011
Hi :) I have a question. I went to canada in 2008 as a tourist and stayed there for 10months (as a tourist the maximum stay is 6 months then you have to go back to your homeland) . I applied for extended stay in Canada twice both were approved but I didn't get the last one it was delivered few days after my arrival in the Philippines. And in 2010, I applied for another tourist visa but denied my application. My question is, will that affect my PR application?

lilali

Jun 9, 2011
Visa Office......
Manila,Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb.21,2011
Doc's Request.
April 14, 2011
AOR Received.
June 9, 2011
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Mar. 29, 2011
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
Feb 2011
Passport Req..
April 14, 2011
Hi! I have a question. I went to canada in 2008 as a tourist and stayed there for 10months (as a tourist the maximum stay is 6 months then you have to go back to your homeland) . I applied for extended stay in Canada twice both were approved but I didn't get the last one it was delivered few days after my arrival in the Philippines. And in 2010, I applied for another tourist visa but denied my application. My question is, will that affect my PR application? My husband's sponsoring me and where still waiting for the decision

lilali

Jun 9, 2011
Visa Office......
Manila,Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb.21,2011
Doc's Request.
April 14, 2011
AOR Received.
June 9, 2011
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Mar. 29, 2011
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
Feb 2011
Passport Req..
April 14, 2011
I thought so :) Just makiing sure :) thanks :D

panda58

Jan 13, 2011
Oregon
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
panda58 said:
I plan on sponsoring my husband to move to Canada in the next few years. We are about to have a child, and with me not being able to work for awhile we may need to turn to government assistance here in the US. I'm wondering if that will have any affect at all when it comes time for us to apply.

Thanks!
Can anyone help me with this?