+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Akal77

Apr 7, 2020
Outland or inland?

Now you need to decide if to apply outland or inland. If your spouse is not in Canada and can not get a visa to go to Canada, you must apply outland. That means that you will send your application to Mississauga and they will approve you as a sponsor. The time that takes is usually 1-2 months to but current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship After that, the application is forwarded to your local visa office

Hello all,
my spouse lived in india and i am planing to sponsoring my partner . i have question here. Do I must have to send the application to Mississauga office. some one told me that i have to send a sponsorship to my spouse and she will be submit the application by courier or by person. it will be a paper application with all required documents and evidence not just an application online. i am not sure about Mississauga office. i will really appreciate. if some one can explain me the proper way.

Many thanks

Fdroid

May 29, 2019
Outland or inland?

Now you need to decide if to apply outland or inland. If your spouse is not in Canada and can not get a visa to go to Canada, you must apply outland. That means that you will send your application to Mississauga and they will approve you as a sponsor. The time that takes is usually 1-2 months to but current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship After that, the application is forwarded to your local visa office

Hello all,
my spouse lived in india and i am planing to sponsoring my partner . i have question here. Do I must have to send the application to Mississauga office. some one told me that i have to send a sponsorship to my spouse and she will be submit the application by courier or by person. it will be a paper application with all required documents and evidence not just an application online. i am not sure about Mississauga office. i will really appreciate. if some one can explain me the proper way.

Many thanks
I highly recommend you to read this and get yourself acquainted with the whole sponsorship process
LInk - Guide 5525 – Basic guide: Sponsor your spouse, partner or child

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Reactions: Fdroid

Qusaidudu

Apr 8, 2020
Hi, I entered Canada on a study permit when we applied pr i applied for an owp as well.
I got my owp. Do i need ro update my status for my pr application. If yes how can i do that

Mice

Star Member
Mar 19, 2020
Hi, I entered Canada on a study permit when we applied pr i applied for an owp as well.
I got my owp. Do i need ro update my status for my pr application. If yes how can i do that
You don't need, because whenever your application process, you're in legal status (implied status or work/study status so on)

doswel

Dec 23, 2018
Hi there,

We sent in our (2nd) application for sponsorship for my American wife and daughter at the beginning of March and are now of course worried as to how long everything is going to take with the pandemic going on etc. as everyone in a similar situation on this forum... It is good to know that others are in the same boat, and I'm very thankful for this forum.

One of the other questions we had was whether we will be able to apply for any public health care benefits before the final decision is made?

My wife and daughter are both in Canada (Quebec), but we had to apply outland which means that we were unable to apply for an open work permit at the same time. My wife doesn't really plan on working, but if by applying for an open work permit we could be eligible for benefits earlier, this is an option for us.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what we could do, we would appreciate it very much.

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there,

We sent in our (2nd) application for sponsorship for my American wife and daughter at the beginning of March and are now of course worried as to how long everything is going to take with the pandemic going on etc. as everyone in a similar situation on this forum... It is good to know that others are in the same boat, and I'm very thankful for this forum.

One of the other questions we had was whether we will be able to apply for any public health care benefits before the final decision is made?

My wife and daughter are both in Canada (Quebec), but we had to apply outland which means that we were unable to apply for an open work permit at the same time. My wife doesn't really plan on working, but if by applying for an open work permit we could be eligible for benefits earlier, this is an option for us.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what we could do, we would appreciate it very much.

Thanks!
She doesn't qualify for an OWP. She needed to apply inland to qualify.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
what if she's American, she can apply OWP by herself and it doesn't follow sponsorship?
OWPs are only given in very specific circumstances and Americans need to meet the same requirements as anyone else to qualify.

Reactions: doswel

Canjeero

Star Member
Feb 3, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone,

I'm just about finished my application and have a questions about the photos. I have to attach 5 id photos to the application, would it be possible to submit them electronically after sending the paper copy?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi everyone,

I'm just about finished my application and have a questions about the photos. I have to attach 5 id photos to the application, would it be possible to submit them electronically after sending the paper copy?

1. No, they need the actual photos for the PR card.

Reactions: Canjeero

educanvietnam

Apr 9, 2020
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me the timeline of sponsoring your spouse. I've already applied and the application is at 57% done. I've noticed that every 4 days it would go up 1%.

-If we are required to do an interview, at what percentage would they normally send the request to meet?
-Would the interview take place in the current city I'm in (abroad) at the embassy or would I have to travel with my spouse to a different location?

Lastly, if anyone can post a full timeline of the application processing time, it would be very helpful.

Thanks

educanvietnam

Apr 9, 2020
I am sponsoring my husband and he has just finished Biometric and medical exam this week. And we are expecting the request for No criminal record soon. And while the application is in progress, is it okay for my husband to fly together with the rest of the family to settle in few mths later and wait for the landed paper in Canada as visitor? And what is the bad side of this arrangement? Can anyone help?! Thanks alot!!!
I would assume that it is ok for you to go with your family to Canada before the application is finished, but here are some things to consider:

-your husband might have to get a visa to enter Canada since the application hasn't been finished
-you will have to notify IRCC of a change in address
-once in Canada, you will have to decide if you want to keep his PR application as overseas or change it to being applied within Canada
-should his PR application be denied, then he will have to leave Canada and either appeal or apply again

These are just my thoughts as I have considered the same thing as you, but we have the time to wait for the sponsorship to finish before we leave.

educanvietnam

Apr 9, 2020
I finally sent the application package! It arrived on March 31st. Does someone have any idea when I'll be able to link the application to my online account? Thanks!!
If everything works out, it should take about 3 - 3 months when they send you an email confirming you are able to sponsor your spouse. You can then go to GC Key Login and check if they have uploaded your application. If you see nothing there when logged in, then they haven't processed it yet or you missed something in your application and they are sending it back to you. That was my experience when applying with mail.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can anyone tell me the timeline of sponsoring your spouse. I've already applied and the application is at 57% done. I've noticed that every 4 days it would go up 1%.

-If we are required to do an interview, at what percentage would they normally send the request to meet?
The % processing time is a simple number of days after submission / 365 days. The 365 days is the notional 12 months that a 'normal' file is guided to take. So the % shown has nothing whatsoever to do with how the processing is actually proceeding.

No way to say what your actual timeline will be. Note also that currently it seems most files are delayed due to the pandemic, i.e. there is much less activity/progress as government is focussing on essential services.

As recently as a few months ago, it seemed that roughly 80% of applications were completed within the 12 months. This is also what IRCC says, that only 20% or so are 'more complex' and take longer.

Given the pandemic it's possible or likely more files will take llonger.

Reactions: educanvietnam