+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

educanvietnam

Apr 9, 2020
The % processing time is a simple number of days after submission / 365 days. The 365 days is the notional 12 months that a 'normal' file is guided to take. So the % shown has nothing whatsoever to do with how the processing is actually proceeding.

No way to say what your actual timeline will be. Note also that currently it seems most files are delayed due to the pandemic, i.e. there is much less activity/progress as government is focussing on essential services.

As recently as a few months ago, it seemed that roughly 80% of applications were completed within the 12 months. This is also what IRCC says, that only 20% or so are 'more complex' and take longer.

Given the pandemic it's possible or likely more files will take llonger.

Thanks for the information, but I'm also looking for someone who has been through the whole process to share key points of what happens during this process so I can better prepare for any upcoming events such as the interview. Take for example:

-Application Received: Sept 12th, 2019
-Sent Form to do Biometrics and Health Check: Jan. 16th, 2020
-Sent Invitation for Pre-Arrival Services: Feb. 26th, 2020
-So on and so forth

Thanks again.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I would assume that it is ok for you to go with your family to Canada before the application is finished, but here are some things to consider:

-your husband might have to get a visa to enter Canada since the application hasn't been finished
-you will have to notify IRCC of a change in address
-once in Canada, you will have to decide if you want to keep his PR application as overseas or change it to being applied within Canada
-should his PR application be denied, then he will have to leave Canada and either appeal or apply again

These are just my thoughts as I have considered the same thing as you, but we have the time to wait for the sponsorship to finish before we leave.
An application can't be changed from outland to inland, you can continue with your outland app even if you are in Canada. Changing would require you to withdraw your outland and refile as inland. Inland processing is slower than outland.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for the information, but I'm also looking for someone who has been through the whole process to share key points of what happens during this process so I can better prepare for any upcoming events such as the interview. Take for example:

-Application Received: Sept 12th, 2019
-Sent Form to do Biometrics and Health Check: Jan. 16th, 2020
-Sent Invitation for Pre-Arrival Services: Feb. 26th, 2020
-So on and so forth

Thanks again.
So basically you'd like someone to read all the forum pages and summarize for you?

Take a look at the trackers and search for relevant terms.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me the timeline of sponsoring your spouse. I've already applied and the application is at 57% done. I've noticed that every 4 days it would go up 1%.

-If we are required to do an interview, at what percentage would they normally send the request to meet?
-Would the interview take place in the current city I'm in (abroad) at the embassy or would I have to travel with my spouse to a different location?

Lastly, if anyone can post a full timeline of the application processing time, it would be very helpful.

Thanks
As already said, the percentages are irrelevant to the actual processing.

The interview depends on where you are. Some offices don't have people to do interviews, so you have to travel.

doswel

Dec 23, 2018
She doesn't qualify for an OWP. She needed to apply inland to qualify.
Thank you, we were aware of the fact that she wouldn't qualify for an OWP, I don't know why I brought it up again...

We did have another question; we have most of my wife's belonging in a storage unit close to the border, and would like to bring at least a few things over / ideally move all of her things. As far as I understand there's no way to bring things over to Canada before the decision has been made, but given the current situation, I wanted to ask here to see if anyone can think of some option that we haven't thought about?

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you, we were aware of the fact that she wouldn't qualify for an OWP, I don't know why I brought it up again...

We did have another question; we have most of my wife's belonging in a storage unit close to the border, and would like to bring at least a few things over / ideally move all of her things. As far as I understand there's no way to bring things over to Canada before the decision has been made, but given the current situation, I wanted to ask here to see if anyone can think of some option that we haven't thought about?

Thanks!
She can ship her stuff but as she will have to pay customs/duties because she is not yet a resident.

Bivins edmund

Apr 11, 2020
Is it a good idea to apply to sponsor a spouse while being unemployed temporarily and on CERB due to COVID-19? Could it affect the sponsorship application in any way?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Is it a good idea to apply to sponsor a spouse while being unemployed temporarily and on CERB due to COVID-19? Could it affect the sponsorship application in any way?
You can apply. Explain your situation and your plan to support yourselves.

Tintin1984

Star Member
May 25, 2015
Hello all,

We would really appreciate some advice on our spousal application. My partner is applying to sponsor me, and has been living in Britain since he was 18, he’s now 43. From reading this forum, I understand that he needs to show strong proof of intent to return to Canada, given his long absence.

We’ve been together for 7 years, and got married (eloped) last year. We’ve been to Canada 3 times, and strongly want to move there so that he can work in the education/ VFX industry, and I can train to be a psychotherapist. I’d be grateful for advice on section B; in particular have we supplied enough information? And if not, what more do you think we need? Thanks in advance.

Part B
Question 2: Provide proof that you will live in Canada with your spouse once they become a permanent resident of Canada

• Brief narrative of why partner left Canada and why we would like to leave the UK
  • Jobs: Detail of when we will hand our notice in; outline of what type of work we will be doing in Canada; evidence of qualifications and CV, contacts of VFX work in Canada
  • Proof of a Canadian bank account
  • Apartment: Screenshots of flats that look suitable to rent (Craigslist/ Padsmapper); emails to realtors from the sponsor. Email from step father saying that he’s willing to let us stay, however he’s based in Toronto and we want to move to Vancouver, and this is an absolute last resort.
Question 5: If you’re not working in Canada, provide a detailed explanation of how you plan to support yourself and the sponsored person
  • Details of where we will be planning to live with approx calculation of how much this will cost
  • Details and evidence of savings from joint account $10,000
  • Savings from PA savings account- $40,000 and growing
  • Will include a breakdown of the average cost per month of living in Canada, and how long our savings are likely to last. We’ll also include:
    • Average rental costs
    • Average transport info
    • Average spending money xxxx
    • Average earnings xxxx
    • Average food prices
    • Utility costs
  • Details of the industry that my partner plans to work in, and the contacts he’s established in the industry
  • The type of work that I the PA will be doing
  • Something about health care, and the fact that we’ve thought about it

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,

We would really appreciate some advice on our spousal application. My partner is applying to sponsor me, and has been living in Britain since he was 18, he’s now 43. From reading this forum, I understand that he needs to show strong proof of intent to return to Canada, given his long absence.

We’ve been together for 7 years, and got married (eloped) last year. We’ve been to Canada 3 times, and strongly want to move there so that he can work in the education/ VFX industry, and I can train to be a psychotherapist. I’d be grateful for advice on section B; in particular have we supplied enough information? And if not, what more do you think we need? Thanks in advance.

Part B
Question 2: Provide proof that you will live in Canada with your spouse once they become a permanent resident of Canada

• Brief narrative of why partner left Canada and why we would like to leave the UK
  • Jobs: Detail of when we will hand our notice in; outline of what type of work we will be doing in Canada; evidence of qualifications and CV, contacts of VFX work in Canada
  • Proof of a Canadian bank account
  • Apartment: Screenshots of flats that look suitable to rent (Craigslist/ Padsmapper); emails to realtors from the sponsor. Email from step father saying that he’s willing to let us stay, however he’s based in Toronto and we want to move to Vancouver, and this is an absolute last resort.
Question 5: If you’re not working in Canada, provide a detailed explanation of how you plan to support yourself and the sponsored person
  • Details of where we will be planning to live with approx calculation of how much this will cost
  • Details and evidence of savings from joint account $10,000
  • Savings from PA savings account- $40,000 and growing
  • Will include a breakdown of the average cost per month of living in Canada, and how long our savings are likely to last. We’ll also include:
    • Average rental costs
    • Average transport info
    • Average spending money xxxx
    • Average earnings xxxx
    • Average food prices
    • Utility costs
  • Details of the industry that my partner plans to work in, and the contacts he’s established in the industry
  • The type of work that I the PA will be doing
  • Something about health care, and the fact that we’ve thought about it

Proof of intent to return should be fine. If IRCC is not convinced, they will request more.

Your plan to support yourselves is a bit overkill. You can submit all of it but with $50k in savings, you can skip the cost breakdowns, health care estimates etc. and just provide a general explanation.

Reactions: Tintin1984

Tintin1984

Star Member
May 25, 2015
Thanks Canuck in UK for getting back to me so quickly. I guess we thought it would be better to go overboard, than not.

Now for a pretty stupid question- I assume the spouse visa we're applying for comes with a work permit (as it's PR)?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks Canuck in UK for getting back to me so quickly. I guess we thought it would be better to go overboard, than not.

Now for a pretty stupid question- I assume the spouse visa we're applying for comes with a work permit (as it's PR)?
No, it doesn't come with a work permit. Only inland applicants can apply for a work permit with their app.