+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

simoneleah

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Uhm, yes sorry I though that was implied when I mentioned inland sponsorship and not being a canadian. I was more so looking for anyone who had tried something similar or would know about the possibility of success. As I said and you said, I dont need a visa to enter as I have the special license etc. But I was hoping I could still manage to get one for the sake of sponsorship as I have no other means of doing so. Also assuming I am successful in acheiving one, I am aware that most people that enter and state dual intent are almost entirely turned away if they cant prove ties such as owned land etc. So would it be plausible to just no mentione it or...? I was hoping there would be someone that knew enough about those things specifically, I already know everything else I feel I need to.

(Basically if Im just dreaming and hoping and being an idiot about this, I need someone to tell me so. I'll likely try either way.)
You should be able to enter Canada as a visa exempt visitor - say, you cross the border, they ask what the purpose of your visit is, it's to visit your spouse. You don't have to give them more than they ask for and it's pretty normal to be an American married to/in a relationship with a Canadian. From inside Canada, you can apply for an extended one-year visitor visa. I am not sure exactly what the stipulations of this are as I've never had one. This will allow you to have status for longer than your regular status as a US citizen visiting Canada (which is six months).

You can apply for inland sponsorship as soon as you've arrived in Canada. It's not illegal or wrong to do so. It would just be prudent for you to make sure your status doesn't run out. There are lots of options. Applying inland can allow you to apply for an open work permit, but these vary in the length of time they take (2-4 months from when you apply) so it would be smart to have the visitor visa extension ready for when your six months run out, even if you go the open work permit route.

I don't know what would happen if you tried applying for a one-year visa as an American from outside Canada. It seems weird for them to reject it as you'd be trying to do things as legally and smoothly as possible. But you are completely free to cross the border as a US citizen, as long as you don't have any other issues that would prevent you. :)

Reactions: Anthonymarshall

ren247

Jan 31, 2019
You should be able to enter Canada as a visa exempt visitor - say, you cross the border, they ask what the purpose of your visit is, it's to visit your spouse. You don't have to give them more than they ask for and it's pretty normal to be an American married to/in a relationship with a Canadian. From inside Canada, you can apply for an extended one-year visitor visa. I am not sure exactly what the stipulations of this are as I've never had one. This will allow you to have status for longer than your regular status as a US citizen visiting Canada (which is six months).

You can apply for inland sponsorship as soon as you've arrived in Canada. It's not illegal or wrong to do so. It would just be prudent for you to make sure your status doesn't run out. There are lots of options. Applying inland can allow you to apply for an open work permit, but these vary in the length of time they take (2-4 months from when you apply) so it would be smart to have the visitor visa extension ready for when your six months run out, even if you go the open work permit route.

I don't know what would happen if you tried applying for a one-year visa as an American from outside Canada. It seems weird for them to reject it as you'd be trying to do things as legally and smoothly as possible. But you are completely free to cross the border as a US citizen, as long as you don't have any other issues that would prevent you. :)
Ah I see. Okay that makes a little more sense. We're already married and I would have to state so on any visa application, which I figured would lead to more scrutiny. But I wasnt aware I could enter normally as I usually do and apply for an extension visa from inside (if im comprehending that correctly.) I'll look more into it, thank you for letting me know. And thanks for the patience to the rest of you if I wasn't being totally clear in what I was asking.

Reactions: JBucky

Faraz Khan

Star Member
Nov 7, 2019
Hi members,

Yesterday second line is added in my Ecas that “ we started processing your application November 22”. What can I expect next ? Should I expect pre arrival letter or what? I’m july applicant.

naj.zr

Jan 6, 2019
Hi friends I have question which really make me confuse about process...
We both iranian but I Canadian citizen and he live in iran . We got married in tbilisi georgia as a Canadian. We legalized it in there but we didn't submit in iran our marriage because I couldn't travel there and wasn't seems useful to do... so am I wondering is it gonna be problem through the process? Does Canada ask for legalization in iran as well?

shaynhe

Nov 23, 2019
Hello I'm newbie here. The thing is my husband and I didn't got married in the Philippines but the IRCC asked us to get AOM (advisory of marriage) from PSA, will they still going to give us CENOMAR even though we got married in Hong Kong? Thank you

auroradarling

Star Member
Jan 16, 2019
Philippines
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
June 10, 2019
AOR Received.
August 14, 2019
File Transfer...
August 28, 2019
Med's Request
August 21, 2019
Hello Guys bago lang po ako ditto sa forum at magpapasa plang po ako ng application ko po..
Baka po pwedeng magtanong tungkol po dun s certified translation sa proof of communication po,saan po pedeng ipa certified yung mga social media conversation po..TIA po sa sasagot..
try lexcode

mbattle95

Jul 5, 2019
U.S.A.
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
31-08-2019
File Transfer...
15-10-2019
Med's Request
03-10-2019
Med's Done....
29-10-2019
Passport Req..
25-11-2019
LANDED..........
26-12-2019
Do Americans typically receive a pre-arrival services letter? From the U.S. people on here I've never seen one mention getting that letter but I could be wrong.
I got "decision made" on ECAS yesterday after a ghost update on Thursday, and this came after no PFL or interview requests so I'm assuming it's a positive decision, though I'm paranoid that I missed the requests on GC Key or my email despite the fact that I check both religiously (including spam) so... but I'm not going to get too excited until I get the PPR email.

JBucky

Star Member
Jan 27, 2018
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
June 29,2018
Doc's Request.
July 3,2018
AOR Received.
October 18,2018
File Transfer...
18-10-2018
Med's Request
October 25,2018
Med's Done....
October 26,2018
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
November 27,2019
VISA ISSUED...
December 3,2019
LANDED..........
December 15,2019
Do Americans typically receive a pre-arrival services letter? From the U.S. people on here I've never seen one mention getting that letter but I could be wrong.
I got "decision made" on ECAS yesterday after a ghost update on Thursday, and this came after no PFL or interview requests so I'm assuming it's a positive decision, though I'm paranoid that I missed the requests on GC Key or my email despite the fact that I check both religiously (including spam) so... but I'm not going to get too excited until I get the PPR email.
I’m not sure about the letter as in the mail but I’m sure about email. I got pre arrival emails since September and just Thursday I got PPR and sent PP yesterday (Friday).

JBucky

Star Member
Jan 27, 2018
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
June 29,2018
Doc's Request.
July 3,2018
AOR Received.
October 18,2018
File Transfer...
18-10-2018
Med's Request
October 25,2018
Med's Done....
October 26,2018
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
November 27,2019
VISA ISSUED...
December 3,2019
LANDED..........
December 15,2019
Hi members,

Yesterday second line is added in my Ecas that “ we started processing your application November 22”. What can I expect next ? Should I expect pre arrival letter or what? I’m july applicant.
No. They just now started your application so you have a long way to go. Pre arrival is at the end after everything is completed. They say 1 year for process to be completed but put 15 months in your mind.

murdan94

Nov 11, 2019
Hi everyone i am sponsoring my husband and we have a daughter i live in canada with my daughter abd he is back in iraq and he has received his Medical request and it is being processed in amman and i was wondering what is the next step and how long does it take for the final decision after medical had been done ???

mbattle95

Jul 5, 2019
U.S.A.
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
31-08-2019
File Transfer...
15-10-2019
Med's Request
03-10-2019
Med's Done....
29-10-2019
Passport Req..
25-11-2019
LANDED..........
26-12-2019
Hi members,

Is your ECAS thing saying "in process" or "decision made"? This Thursday they said they had just started processing it after a GC Key ghost update, and then I got decision made on Friday. I'm a July outland applicant coming from the States. If your ECAS still says "in process" then I'm not sure but if it says "decision made" my understanding is that PPR should be coming soon assuming you didn't receive a PFL or interview... Obviously senior members know more than me so they'll jump in if I'm wrong!

Reactions: Faraz Khan

Faraz Khan

Star Member
Nov 7, 2019
Is your ECAS thing saying "in process" or "decision made"? This Thursday they said they had just started processing it after a GC Key ghost update, and then I got decision made on Friday. I'm a July outland applicant coming from the States. If your ECAS still says "in process" then I'm not sure but if it says "decision made" my understanding is that PPR should be coming soon assuming you didn't receive a PFL or interview... Obviously senior members know more than me so they'll jump in if I'm wrong!
Was your file transfer to CPCM??

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Uhm, yes sorry I though that was implied when I mentioned inland sponsorship and not being a canadian. I was more so looking for anyone who had tried something similar or would know about the possibility of success. As I said and you said, I dont need a visa to enter as I have the special license etc. But I was hoping I could still manage to get one for the sake of sponsorship as I have no other means of doing so. Also assuming I am successful in acheiving one, I am aware that most people that enter and state dual intent are almost entirely turned away if they cant prove ties such as owned land etc. So would it be plausible to just no mentione it or...? I was hoping there would be someone that knew enough about those things specifically, I already know everything else I feel I need to.

(Basically if Im just dreaming and hoping and being an idiot about this, I need someone to tell me so. I'll likely try either way.)
You can't apply for a visitor visa. There is no "manage to get one". You are visa-exempt and any visa application would simply be returned to you.

You are coming to visit your spouse. Carry the normal couple bags a tourist would have and proof of finances to support your stay. Don't volunteer information but don't lie. If CBSA asks further, you can explain you will be applying for sponsorship. Otherwise, don't mention it. Don't mention dual intent at the border; it is like telling CBSA how to do their jobs.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi friends I have question which really make me confuse about process...
We both iranian but I Canadian citizen and he live in iran . We got married in tbilisi georgia as a Canadian. We legalized it in there but we didn't submit in iran our marriage because I couldn't travel there and wasn't seems useful to do... so am I wondering is it gonna be problem through the process? Does Canada ask for legalization in iran as well?
As long as the marriage was legally recognized in Georgia, you shouldn't need to show legalization in Iran.