+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Hi everyone,

I am a sponsor currently holds PR i want to apply Dependent visa to wife i recently got married 6 months back and currently i have an issue for filing the Dependent visa, i lost my full time job last month the company layoff me due to there financial issue i currently applied Employment insurance(EI) and it got approved, currently i am looking for new job but till now i didn't get any can i apply my spouse dependent visa or what to do any cases with my situation?
You mean you want to sponsor your wife.

Being on EI doesn't prevent you from sponsoring her, you just need to demonstrate a plan to be able to afford to cover her expenses. If you are on welfare you have an issue.

Pruthvi

Sep 17, 2017

Being on EI doesn't prevent you from sponsoring her, you just need to demonstrate a plan to be able to afford to cover her expenses. If you are on welfare you have an issue.
Yes, but how much bank balance do i need to show for her expenses. i am currently actively looking for a job. i applied EI just as a precaution measure only.

Pruthvi

Sep 17, 2017

I just got to NO

i just checked this information in Google EI wont comes under welfare or social assistance

However, if you are receiving Employment Insurance benefits (unemployment) or disability benefits, you may still sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner as these benefits do not count as welfare.

EI is not social assistance, so it will not affect your sponsorship of your wife. It will also not affect your eligibility for citizenship.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I just got to NO

i just checked this information in Google EI wont comes under welfare or social assistance

However, if you are receiving Employment Insurance benefits (unemployment) or disability benefits, you may still sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner as these benefits do not count as welfare.

EI is not social assistance, so it will not affect your sponsorship of your wife. It will also not affect your eligibility for citizenship.
That's what I said, thanks for adding bold words to it.

Reactions: Belarusian

uno111

Nov 13, 2019
Hi everyone

I’ve just gotten my PR last month. I have a same-sex partner and we plan to get married in Canada (my partner will get a visitor visa for this). So my questions are:

1. With this, my partner will apply for spousal sponsorship PR? Do people receive a work visa or any temporary visa while they are waiting for this type of PR in Canada?

2. Same-sex marriage isn’t recognised in our own country, and thus on many documents our status will still be “single”. Will this cause any problem when applying for PR?

3. Have anyone married in Canada and their change of status not recognised in their home country?

I honestly have found no guidance for any of these. I hope that someone on here might be able to help us. Much appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone

I’ve just gotten my PR last month. I have a same-sex partner and we plan to get marry in Canada (my partner will get a visitor visa for this). So my questions are:

1. With this, my partner will apply for spousal sponsorship PR? Do people receive a work visa or any temporary visa while they are waiting for this type of PR in Canada?

2. Same-sex marriage isn’t recognised in our own country, and thus on many documents our status will still be “single”. Will this cause any problem when applying for PR?

3. Have anyone married in Canada and their change of status not recognised in their home country?

I honestly have found no guidance for any of these. I hope that someone on here might be able to help us. Much appreciated.

Have you ever lived with your partner? If so, for how long?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We can’t be open about our relationship so there’s no proof or anything that we are together. But I thought we wouldn’t need to prove co-habitation if we marry in Canada?
How long did you live together before you became a PR?

uno111

Nov 13, 2019
How long did you live together before you became a PR?
We have been together for 1.5 years, but have never lived together.

Ah yes, I’m sorry, I didn’t realise. It’s very unusual in our country to not live with the parents (in the same city) until marriage. Even then, a heterosexual couple will most likely live with the parents of the husband. We are both ‘single’, hence we’re still living with our respective parents and so there is nothing to show for the relationship by the usual means.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone

I’ve just gotten my PR last month. I have a same-sex partner and we plan to get married in Canada (my partner will get a visitor visa for this). So my questions are:

1. If your partner is approved for a TRv, yes, they can apply for PR here in Canada. If they apply inland, they can include a work permit app.

2. No.

3. Canada doesn't care if it isn't recognized in your country.

Reactions: uno111

Pruthvi

Sep 17, 2017
Hi everyone,

i need a help from you, i got layoff recently now i am jobless currently on EI, i am going to apply my spouse dependent visa i am eligible to apply it can anyone please share me a sample explanation letter if we are not working. i dont no exactly what to mention in the explanation so i am confused can you please help me with this one.

Reactions: Sam.nanreh