Spousal sponsorship

Praveenthomas

Jan 18, 2018
India
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Newdelhi
Got AOR1 today....applied on Jan 2...and with in how many days I will get email of approval of eligibility of sponsor?

karenmargit

Feb 20, 2018
Hi, Expertise advice would be very appreciated! Ive read some notes and also info on the Cdn gov website but am still unclear...

Im Canadian, my husband is Austrian, we have 2 kids who already have their Canadian passports. We live in Austria.
We would like to move to Canada and so we will apply for PR for my husband.

Our work commitments in Austria end in Summer 2018. It would be nice to get the application started now (in Austria) However, does this mean we cannot move (he on tourist visa) to Canada for example this summer or fall?
Should we rather wait until we can move to Canada to apply inland, and so then he could also have the possibility of an open work permit? Is the open work permit only an option when applying inland?

Back when we were dating 6 or 7 years ago and he was visiting me in Canada we did a border run to extend his tourist visa which apparently put a red flag in the system: last fall on a visit to Canada with our 2 kids we were "counselled" at the airport by an immigration official if we were ever planning to immigrate to Canada that my husband would have to start his application from abroad. Maybe she was not referring to PR? If we want to, we can 100% move to Canada, he on tourist visa, and start the PR process from there? We just want to be sure!

Thanks so much all.

jkcivil26

Star Member
May 6, 2015
Winnipeg
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
02-11-2018
AOR Received.
20-12-2018
File Transfer...
04-01-2019
Med's Request
16-04-2019
Hi All ,

I am sponsoring my wife who is a on a one year work permit which expires in Dec'18. I am having a permanent resident status.

1. So should I apply for an Open work permit for her when applying Inland for spousal sponsorship? How does this work since she is already on a work permit?

2. If her work permit expires before we get her PR stamped what status will she been? Will she have to exit?

Reactions: shahriar6567

DRP2018

Feb 20, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I am really confused and need some advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation or heard of this:

Past Marriage

1) Got Married to my ex-wife (Sponsored Person) in 2013

2) After marriage did an Outland Application from Canada in early 2014

3) Went to India in early 2015 to bring her with me to Canada

4) Stayed together for a year and couple of months

5) Filed for divorce in mid-2016 as things didn’t seem to work-out and got my divorce after 1 year of separation in mid-2017.

During that time she tried everything to save her Conditional PR time including making false allegations against me in court documents including police for domestic violence to get exempt. No charges were made against me as I submitted all proofs to court and police that she was lying. However, I came to know that she submitted all the court documents (only her allegations not my reply to the allegations) and her side of police report (not mine) to CIC with affidavits from friends. I didn’t bother to submit the proofs I still have as I was more interested to move on. Since I did not submit the proofs (which I now think I should have done at that time) to CIC, she got an exemption from the condition.

As per CIC website, the sponsored person is my responsibility for three years. The three years have now passed and she was not on any welfare as she had a decent job. All the settlements have been made including neither of us will file any complains or reliefs in any jurisdiction in the settlement agreement.

Present

Now the situation is I really like this girl from India and want to know if there will be complications to sponsor her (considering the above situation of my past marriage and false allegations made my ex-wife/ex-sponsored person). Will it be worth it to try with help from immigration lawyer and explain the situation to them? I really hope no one goes through this, but if someone did or heard about this scenario, I would really need to get the members inputs.

This is what I was considering

Tourist – Multiple Entry (Inland Application) that she applies comes to Canada. We stay together and submit the sponsorship application after 3-4 months before her visa expires of 6 months. I heard that while the sponsorship application is in-process, the visa is extended until the decision is made by CIC.

Note: She does not have any relatives in Canada who can write an Invitation Letter. Will she be able to get tourist/visitor visa without any Invitation Letter?

Outland Application – I go to India, get married to her and file her sponsorship papers from here (in Canada). Also, we will try to get tourist visa prior to marriage so atleast we can come together to Canada and stays with me until the visa is expired. This will shorten the time we are not together if we did a normal outland application.

How long will it take to come to Canada if I did Outland application?

Any help will be highly appreciated as we are quite involved with each other.

Please PM me if required.

Thank you,

PD

doo_dle

May 20, 2017
Does anyone know why sometimes eligibility is being conducted before background check...?
My understanding was that eligibility would be completed last because that's when they make a decision about whether the applicant is 'eligible' to enter Canada. No?
Can someone please provide insight on this?????

christina88

Star Member
Sep 13, 2017
Does anyone know why sometimes eligibility is being conducted before background check...?
My understanding was that eligibility would be completed last because that's when they make a decision about whether the applicant is 'eligible' to enter Canada. No?
Can someone please provide insight on this?????
As I understand, they are two parallel processes conducted by 2 different agencies: 3rd party and CIC. CIC does eligibility by checking all the documents to believe that your relationship is authentic and not a fraud.

Reactions: shahriar6567

christina88

Star Member
Sep 13, 2017
Hi, Expertise advice would be very appreciated! Ive read some notes and also info on the Cdn gov website but am still unclear...

Im Canadian, my husband is Austrian, we have 2 kids who already have their Canadian passports. We live in Austria.
We would like to move to Canada and so we will apply for PR for my husband.

Our work commitments in Austria end in Summer 2018. It would be nice to get the application started now (in Austria) However, does this mean we cannot move (he on tourist visa) to Canada for example this summer or fall?
Should we rather wait until we can move to Canada to apply inland, and so then he could also have the possibility of an open work permit? Is the open work permit only an option when applying inland?

Back when we were dating 6 or 7 years ago and he was visiting me in Canada we did a border run to extend his tourist visa which apparently put a red flag in the system: last fall on a visit to Canada with our 2 kids we were "counselled" at the airport by an immigration official if we were ever planning to immigrate to Canada that my husband would have to start his application from abroad. Maybe she was not referring to PR? If we want to, we can 100% move to Canada, he on tourist visa, and start the PR process from there? We just want to be sure!

Thanks so much all.
If your husband has a tourist visa and can get into Canada, you can apply as INSIDE. This process is usually a bit longer. Yes, your husband may get a work permit after you are approved as a sponsor (after 3-4 months or longer after filing the application).
Or you can apply as OUTSIDE even now. But in this case you need to show your intentions to return to Canada (job offer in Canada or emails showing that you are looking for a new job there; leasing/buying a house or intentions to; looking for a school for kids; letters from friends and relatives where they confirm you are real about mivmov to Canada this summer

anxious724

Feb 21, 2018
Hello, first post here.

My application to sponsor my husband (outland) was received this month. I'm currently in Canada and he's in the US so this process is especially anxiety inducing. Being separated from him for the first time in years, albeit voluntarily, is unbelievably heartwrenching. I thought I'd sign up for an account here as it may help to be amongst those who are going through the same thing.

I've browsed this forum rather extensively and I must say I'm terrified that my application will be returned due to some unforeseen, trivial error/omission ie. that we didn't fill in the complete address for one of his siblings as we did not know this info and are not in communication with that person. I wish the timeframe between receipt of application and AOR1 wasn't so long. The possibility that my application may be returned to me after 2 months of waiting is absolutely terrifying...

Last edited:

karenmargit

Feb 20, 2018
If your husband has a tourist visa and can get into Canada, you can apply as INSIDE. This process is usually a bit longer. Yes, your husband may get a work permit after you are approved as a sponsor (after 3-4 months or longer after filing the application).
Or you can apply as OUTSIDE even now. But in this case you need to show your intentions to return to Canada (job offer in Canada or emails showing that you are looking for a new job there; leasing/buying a house or intentions to; looking for a school for kids; letters from friends and relatives where they confirm you are real about mivmov to Canada this summer
Thanks so much for your reply.
If we apply now Outside Canada, could we still move to Canada in the meantime while we wait for the processing? I understand if he is called to interview, he would have to fly back for this.
And as for applying for an open work permit while we wait for processing, is this possible with an Outland application?
thanks very much in advance!

karenmargit

Feb 20, 2018
If we apply now Outside Canada, could we still move to Canada in the meantime while we wait for the processing? I understand if he is called to interview, he would have to fly back for this.
And as for applying for an open work permit while we wait for processing, is this possible with an Outland application?

Also, with being a sponsor...I've been taking care of our kids at home for over 2 years now and he is our income provider. How do I show I will support him in Canada or is this null since we are married and our funds are together anyway?

Praveenthomas

Jan 18, 2018
India
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Newdelhi
Hi friends i got aor 1 yesterday...in ecas sponsorship application status shows "in process " and permanent residence status shows "application recived"..so how many days it will take to change sponsorship application status to "decision made"?normally...

christina88

Star Member
Sep 13, 2017
Hi friends i got aor 1 yesterday...in ecas sponsorship application status shows "in process " and permanent residence status shows "application recived"..so how many days it will take to change sponsorship application status to "decision made"?normally...
1-2 months, maybe earlier, maybe later

christina88

Star Member
Sep 13, 2017
Applying for a Work Permit is only possible for INLAND process.

Yes, you can move to Canada while waiting for the Outland process. There is a little chance of an interview, but if there is one, he might need to go to Austria. But if there is no interview, then when he gets his PR, he doesn't need to leave the country to get it, just send his passport to Ottawa. BUT when he enters Canada, he should not say anything about moving, he is visiting Canada as a tourist only while waiting for the Outland process!

Reactions: karenmargit

Dyezza

Feb 21, 2018
Hello everyone! I want to know if applying for outland sponsorship is faster in canada or is it the same timeline if i submit it here in philippines? Im currently in the philippines with expired canadian passport. Im gonna renew it next week and hopefully fly out asap coz I am 3 months preggy.

christina88

Star Member
Sep 13, 2017
Also, with being a sponsor...I've been taking care of our kids at home for over 2 years now and he is our income provider. How do I show I will support him in Canada or is this null since we are married and our funds are together anyway?
There are no financial restrictions for family sponsorship. The main thing is that you should not get any welfare benefits from Canada.

Reactions: karenmargit