3rd December 2016
AOR Received.
9th December 2016
File Transfer...
SA : December 20th 2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Good day everyone, newbie here.

I am a PR and I am sponsoring my wife who is in the Philippines. I just have some confusion regarding the requirements and hoping someone could help.

A little background and context - we were boyfriend and girlfriend before I moved to Canada last 2015 (I actually became a PR on 2013, yet returned to the Philippines because of some commitments before finally settling here in 2015) and we just got married in the Philippines this last May 2017. Knowing that we already had plans to settle here, I already took the time several months ago before we got married to check the requirements for spousal sponsorship. I even asked some of my colleagues and friends here who had also sponsored their spouses for info they could provide. From what I've heard, aside from all the necessary forms and whatnot, we of course have to provide the proof of our relationship and some have said to provide massive amounts of proof such as photos, chat logs, emails, letters, mementos, keepsakes etc. which would result in hundreds of pages, as some also have mentioned that the more proof you provide, the faster the processing would take place. I even found this link in this forum which for me attested that claim to compile a lot of documents and photos for proof of the relationship (I believe they totaled 400+ pages). http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-i-organized-our-applcation-and-a-summary-of-all-helpful-tips-i-have-learned.92449/ So we had already started to compile all our photos and chat logs and other proof that we could provide through the course of our relationship even before the wedding.

However, last night I actually just checked the document checklist for spouse visa IMM 5533 (apparently it was updated just this June) and was surprised to see in the Proof of Relationship section that in our case we only need to provide 10 pages for proof of contact, proof that I visited and a maximum of 20 photos, proof of financial support, and proof that the relationship is recognized by friends and family, all of which we won't have any problem providing.

In one of my google searches, I also found a different checklist IMM 5491 but it looks outdated and it didn't mention anything specific about the proof of relationship.

So my questions would be, is IMM 5533 the correct checklist for our case? If yes, do I ignore IMM 5491 and just strictly follow what is on IMM 5533? At any point in time will I have to provide the "big package" of proof to CIC or is it no longer necessary? If so would anyone be able to attest to the claim that providing more proof = faster processing time?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know as well if I need to clarify anything.

Thank you!

hi
You should make sure you follow the correct updated checklist which you can find on the CIC website. This goes along with the forms as well. Hence, IMM 5533 is the updated checklist which you need to follow. Also, even though they've only requested a few photos (20 ) etc, id suggest you chose the best 20 photos that shows you, your partner and some family members. Send them according to the checklist but make sure you send proof that proves the relationship is genuine.
Quality > Quantity

Reactions: benisimo

userpg

Star Member
Feb 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2015, received by CIC: 15-05-2015
AOR Received.
18-06-2015
File Transfer...
SA: 15-07-2015, AOR2: 06-08-2015
Med's Done....
18-03-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2015
LANDED..........
07-12-2015 :)
No, not a concern.
Yes, the days in Poland with your wife count towards the PR Residency Obligation.
Wow. That's a great news! Thak you for your response, I appreciate it.

lpit

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
On form 5406, the guide says I should list "Married - Physically present" for the status, but the form field doesn't allow writing all of that. How are you guys dealing with that?

- writing with pen on the print
-using an acronym
-.. else

Thanks in advance!

Tontonalino

Jul 5, 2017
good day everyone,
I have this question and will be happy if i get some advise.
I have a common Law partner who lives in Sweden with my two kids, first born june 2011 and second may 2015. i summited sponsorship application on oct 2015 and it was successful from CIC and the application forwarded to handling office for further processing.
She was called for an interview and was refused visa reason being
- During her interview mentioned we have being in a relationship since 2009 whereas legal documents show we share same address from sept 2011.
- Also that i did not declare dependants when i first came to Canada in nov 2011.
I will be happy if i have some advise on what to do.

benisimo

Jul 3, 2017
Hello all,

I actually have three first names, as per my birth certificate and it will also be the case on our marriage certificate. However, all my other documents only show two names like in my PR card and passport. Will this be an issue? Should I have an affidavit handy stating that the person in these documents are one and the same?

Thank you all very much.

EDIT: other questions were already answered in the other thread

Last edited:

bunny13

Jul 5, 2017
Hi guys I really need your advise. My husband and I got married last May 27th here in Canada. I am a permanent resident and my husband came as a tourist. We are now processing his spousal sponsorship. I asked someone to check our documents and there is a part of it which is about giving information about our relationship. We were advised that we should not indicate that we were got engaged last 2015 and that were seeing each other everyday because it might conflict on what I declared with my marital status as single during my processing of PR. They also said that if we got engaged last 2 years ago the immigration might think that we already planned to get married in Canada a long time ago and my PR status might be on risk.. Can you give any opinion or advise about my case? Thank you so much.

C

Classic Chucks

Hi guys I really need your advise. My husband and I got married last May 27th here in Canada. I am a permanent resident and my husband came as a tourist. We are now processing his spousal sponsorship. I asked someone to check our documents and there is a part of it which is about giving information about our relationship. We were advised that we should not indicate that we were got engaged last 2015 and that were seeing each other everyday because it might conflict on what I declared with my marital status as single during my processing of PR. They also said that if we got engaged last 2 years ago the immigration might think that we already planned to get married in Canada a long time ago and my PR status might be on risk.. Can you give any opinion or advise about my case? Thank you so much.
You just got engaged in 2015. You didn't get married by then so you are still single at that time; it is perfectly okay to declare that. Don't listen to the person checking the app for you. In fact, do not have him/her check your app again. S/he might put your app in jeopardy by misguiding you with incorrect suggestions.

Rule number 1: Be truthful in your application.

Last edited by a moderator:

SAJ_ee2015

Jul 4, 2015
On form 5406, the guide says I should list "Married - Physically present" for the status, but the form field doesn't allow writing all of that. How are you guys dealing with that?

- writing with pen on the print
-using an acronym
-.. else

Thanks in advance!
You can write it using pen.

Huangxyqjy

Star Member
Apr 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2013
Med's Request
01-11-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2013
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2013
LANDED..........
08-08-2014
hi all, just want to check when you are preparing "love story" to explain your timelines, who should write it, the sponsor or the sponsored? thanks in advance!

bramb600

Mar 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-05-2017
AOR Received.
25-05-2017
File Transfer...
28-06-2017
Med's Request
01/09/2017
Anyone have problems submitting Schedule A forms? I keep submitting them through our profile and a few days later we get a request letter for a replacement. I didn't sign it because the forms say to electronically sign, however the basic guide says to sign. It's concerning to me since these must be submitted by August.

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
Anyone have problems submitting Schedule A forms? I keep submitting them through our profile and a few days later we get a request letter for a replacement. I didn't sign it because the forms say to electronically sign, however the basic guide says to sign. It's concerning to me since these must be submitted by August.
Did you get it working yet?