+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Wattala

Nov 23, 2016
MilesAway said:
Work experience and qualifications don't matter for spousal sponsorship. The timeline depends on your visa office. What is your VO? I would recommend finding the thread for your VO to see what the current trends are. A year is fairly reasonable and possible, though it depends on the strength of your application as well as a bit of luck with visa offices/officers.
My VO is VFS global canada in srilanka.i dont about canada one. my husband knows that. that is pointless to ask him about this.he is in Brampton.my husband was telling me to study many things here in srilanka to come canada.but,you are telling me that it does not matter.now tell me .normally,for the spousal sponsorship how long will be the process? will it take more than 2 years?but,he has all the documents clear.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Wattala said:
My VO is VFS global canada in srilanka.i dont about canada one. my husband knows that. that is pointless to ask him about this.he is in Brampton.my husband was telling me to study many things here in srilanka to come canada.but,you are telling me that it does not matter.now tell me .normally,for the spousal sponsorship how long will be the process? will it take more than 2 years?but,he has all the documents clear.
What matters is the relationship between you and your husband being genuine. Seems like you guys might need to communicate more about these matters. If you are applying outland, your VO is going to be Colombo. How long it takes really depends on if you have to have an interview.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t267073.0.html

malbrax

Apr 20, 2016
Okay guys...(New Delhi) May application here , Background check went in progress either today or yesterday

But there is a problem, medical expires in January and we can't travel in January. Has anyone tried requesting to have the visa expire on a later date.

If we do complete re-medical in the next few days (Holiday where spouse is right now) will it work? does the visa office look at the new medical?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
malbrax said:
Okay guys...(New Delhi) May application here , Background check went in progress either today or yesterday

But there is a problem, medical expires in January and we can't travel in January. Has anyone tried requesting to have the visa expire on a later date.

If we do complete re-medical in the next few days (Holiday where spouse is right now) will it work? does the visa office look at the new medical?
DO NOT do a remedical unless it is specifically requested by CIC. CIC has the ability to extend the medicals to help the person land. Until CIC specifically says you need to complete a new medical, there is no reason to do one. More than likely, the expiration of the COPR is going to be past January.

floesp

Feb 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2015
AOR Received.
20-08-2015
File Transfer...
21-09-2015
Med's Request
26-06-2016
Med's Done....
03-07-2016
Interview........
(NA)=PCC Req 26-07-2016
Passport Req..
29-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
WAITING
LANDED..........
WAITING
What is the time frame for the Passport to stamp from VFS(NEwDelhi or VFS (Mumbai)
how much time or days it will usually take to get my passport back ( PPR )

itsfubb

Apr 24, 2016
Good afternoon, :D

My husband and I have been married for 2 months after being in a long distance relationship for 7 years. He is American and I am Canadian.
He will be coming to Montreal as a visitor and we will finalize the paperwork together and submit our OUTLAND application.
We have a few questions I was hoping experienced users could help us with.

1- Can my husband stay with me as a visitor after the application is submitted. Will he need to leave Canada and come back to "land" when we receive the approval?
2-Can we have the medical exam done here in Montreal, or does he need to have it completed in the USA?
3-Anyone know of French classes in Montreal that he could attend that wouldn't be to expensive until he can take the ones offered by the government?
4-Should he make me his representative in order for me to receive all documentations and respond to any request from the government?

Thank you so much!
Itsfubb

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
itsfubb said:
Good afternoon, :D

My husband and I have been married for 2 months after being in a long distance relationship for 7 years. He is American and I am Canadian.
He will be coming to Montreal as a visitor and we will finalize the paperwork together and submit our OUTLAND application.
We have a few questions I was hoping experienced users could help us with.

1- Can my husband stay with me as a visitor after the application is submitted. Will he need to leave Canada and come back to "land" when we receive the approval?
2-Can we have the medical exam done here in Montreal, or does he need to have it completed in the USA?
3-Anyone know of French classes in Montreal that he could attend that wouldn't be to expensive until he can take the ones offered by the government?
4-Should he make me his representative in order for me to receive all documentations and respond to any request from the government?

Thank you so much!
Itsfubb
1. It's usually pretty easy for an American (or any other visa-exempt visitor) to apply to extend their visitor status with a pending PR sponsorship application in CIC's queue. While CIC `suggests' that the extension request be made 30 days before status expires, he can (and should) wait until the day before his status expires (if applying online).

Once he receives the COPR document, he can simply `flagpole', if you're near a land border, or make an appointment at the local CIC office to land.

2. Any CIC approved Panel Physician, anywhere in the world. With the USD being ~ 1.24 CAD, he'd likely save money by having it in Canada.

3. Sorry, but I haven't an answer for this.

4. Only if he doesn't want to be the point of contact.

Good luck!

Sirenane

Star Member
Oct 29, 2015
Málaga, Spain
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2016
Doc's Request.
18-05-2016
AOR Received.
20-04-2016
Med's Request
04-08-2016
Med's Done....
19-08-2016
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
COPR - 30-09-2016
LANDED..........
16-12-2016
Wonder if anyone has any insight into this....
We are set to arrive in Canada Dec. 16th and my husband will do his landing when we arrive in Calgary (he's from a visa exempt country). From what I understand he only needs to show his COPR confirmation papers we received from VO Paris to board the plane, that this is his travel document and he doesn't need the eTA document. BUT.... I just got an email from our Immigration Lawyer saying as of November 10th he will need the eTA to board the plane. I don't see anything online that states this.... Does anyone know if he needs to have the eTA as well as the COPR?? Thank you so much for any help on this subject!! ;)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sirenane said:
Wonder if anyone has any insight into this....
We are set to arrive in Canada Dec. 16th and my husband will do his landing when we arrive in Calgary (he's from a visa exempt country). From what I understand he only needs to show his COPR confirmation papers we received from VO Paris to board the plane, that this is his travel document and he doesn't need the eTA document. BUT.... I just got an email from our Immigration Lawyer saying as of November 10th he will need the eTA to board the plane. I don't see anything online that states this.... Does anyone know if he needs to have the eTA as well as the COPR?? Thank you so much for any help on this subject!! ;)
Maybe your lawyer owes you a partial refund. ;)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16

I have a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) and will travel to Canada. Do I need an eTA?

No. If you are from a visa-exempt country and have been issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence document, you do not need an eTA.

If you are from a visa-required country, you are not eligible for an eTA. You have been issued a permanent resident visa in your passport for your travel to Canada.

In both cases, make sure you travel to Canada with your valid passport and your valid Confirmation of Permanent Residence document.

Sirenane

Star Member
Oct 29, 2015
Málaga, Spain
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2016
Doc's Request.
18-05-2016
AOR Received.
20-04-2016
Med's Request
04-08-2016
Med's Done....
19-08-2016
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
COPR - 30-09-2016
LANDED..........
16-12-2016
CIC's official answer is no, you don't need an eTA as a holder of COPR but I wonder how we can convince the airline with the COPR that says "Not valid for travel". I also see at the bottom of this link a new advisory, that he indeed does need it (I think...) I guess because he doesn't yet have the residency activated.... For the airline he is still a resident in Spain. I think we will apply for the eTA just to be safe, I would hate to have the airline deny him boarding.
I just wish they would clarify this more so we weren't left guessing!!
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16

Yalg0109

Jul 29, 2016
Hi! i just want to ask if it is ok that my pr card was expired already while our application was still on process? i was approved as sponsor to my husband 1st wk September but last wk of that month my pr card expired. Does it matter if i dont renew it or this will affect or application? if i will renew i want to change my maiden name to married name but our application we used my maiden name...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yalg0109 said:
Hi! i just want to ask if it is ok that my pr card was expired already while our application was still on process? i was approved as sponsor to my husband 1st wk September but last wk of that month my pr card expired. Does it matter if i dont renew it or this will affect or application? if i will renew i want to change my maiden name to married name but our application we used my maiden name...
It doesn't matter if your PR card is expired or if you renew your PR card in your married name.

Dr M

Jun 25, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-12-2016
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
SA 21-12-2016
File Transfer...
Med's Request
upfront. Received
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hello friends
Just submitted my applicatio today by mail
Hope things will go
I ve a little confusing question
I m not working now & i m sponsoring my wife outland (being 4 years married but due to special circumstances she was not able to join me during landing)
Does we still have chances?
I know there is no minmum income but little confused
So does anybody did that before?
What are my chances to get sponsor approval?

r2rlanes

Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-08-2016
Doc's Request.
03-11-2016
AOR Received.
20-09-2016 AOR2 ..........: 20-10-2016
File Transfer...
17-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront | Passed
Med's Done....
27-06-2016
Interview........
Not applicable
Passport Req..
23-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2017
LANDED..........
23-04-2017
Good day everyone! I just a few questions regarding my citizenship. I sponsored my principal applicant when I am still PR in status and now that I am Citizen, will it affect our application as it is still in process? DO I need to do something? Any information will help me a lot. Thank you in advance and Good luck to all of us! :D :D :D

ames219

Star Member
Feb 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-DEC-2015
AOR Received.
04-FEB-2016
File Transfer...
16-FEB-2016
Med's Done....
Sep-2015/ Redo medical request Oct 6th 2016
Interview........
In queue 21st June 2016/ Interview cancelled Oct 6th
Passport Req..
16-NOV-2016
r2rlanes said:
Good day everyone! I just a few questions regarding my citizenship. I sponsored my principal applicant when I am still PR in status and now that I am Citizen, will it affect our application as it is still in process? DO I need to do something? Any information will help me a lot. Thank you in advance and Good luck to all of us! :D :D :D
Hey ! i was in the exact same situation as you. I don't think you have to do much but what I did was email CIC using the IRCC webform and let them know that my status had changed from PR to Citizen and i gave them my certificate number along with my new passport info( i applied for my passport as soon as the waiting time was up) and that was all!