+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Melinna

Nov 24, 2016
Hi!

I have almost the same question - I'm going to be sponsored by my husband inland, because I want to apply for work permit at the same time, but I will need to travel outside of Canada for a month!while my application is being reviewed. I have a visitor visa for 10 years. Will it be the real problem to cross the Canadian border when I'm back?

Thanks in advance.

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Melinna said:
Hi!

I have almost the same question - I'm going to be sponsored by my husband inland, because I want to apply for work permit at the same time, but I will need to travel outside of Canada for a month!while my application is being reviewed. I have a visitor visa for 10 years. Will it be the real problem to cross the Canadian border when I'm back?

Thanks in advance.
I do know they can stop you at the border and not allow you back in or restrict the time you are allowed to stay. It's a risk you would be taking and it can also result in your application being sent back.

My husband has not traveled to the US for over 3 yrs now bc he did not want to risk not being allowed back in to Canada or having our app sent back.

Melinna

Nov 24, 2016
KaZRa said:
I do know they can stop you at the border and not allow you back in or restrict the time you are allowed to stay. It's a risk you would be taking and it can also result in your application being sent back.

My husband has not traveled to the US for over 3 yrs now bc he did not want to risk not being allowed back in to Canada or having our app sent back.
I was trying to find any good or bad practice of people of the same case, but didn't find anything. People are just talking about the risks but no proving information. On the CIC site they just say:

Can I leave Canada while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?
Yes. However, if you leave Canada while your application is being processed, you must meet all the admissibility rules before being allowed back into Canada.

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have all the required documents to enter. This can include:

a valid passport or other travel documents,
a valid work permit or study permit, if you need one, and
a valid visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), if you need one.
If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it.

Queeen.14

Star Member
Oct 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-08-2016
Doc's Request.
23-01-2017 (AOM)
AOR Received.
24-10-2016
File Transfer...
02-11-2016 / AOR2: 03-11-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
29-02-2016
LANDED..........
Hoping VERY SOON
Leon said:
When you apply for your PR, you must include your spouse and dependent children in your PR application. You can choose if you list them as accompanying or not accompanying.

If you choose accompanying, they get PR with you. If you choose not, they will still have to have medicals and background checks but they will not get PR although you will be able to sponsor them later.

If you want your dependents to come and live with you in Canada, you should choose accompanying. There is no advantage for you in sponsoring them later.
Hi Leon! I saw your post and would like to ask in behalf of my sister. She's been a livein caregiver since 2013 and have applied for PR last May 2016 and have included her husband as accompanying. She was approved to sponsor last July 2016 and requested for her husband to undergo medical exam which they immediately complied. She also found out she was expecting their first child when she got back to Canada on Aug (from her visit to husband). Since then, they have not received any updates from their app. We were just wondering if it is possible to expedite their case in order for her husband to arrive Canada before her due date? She is due on April 2017.

Any advice or insights will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Queeen.14 said:
Hi Leon! I saw your post and would like to ask in behalf of my sister. She's been a livein caregiver since 2013 and have applied for PR last May 2016 and have included her husband as accompanying. She was approved to sponsor last July 2016 and requested for her husband to undergo medical exam which they immediately complied. She also found out she was expecting their first child when she got back to Canada on Aug (from her visit to husband). Since then, they have not received any updates from their app. We were just wondering if it is possible to expedite their case in order for her husband to arrive Canada before her due date? She is due on April 2017.

Any advice or insights will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
Unfortunately CIC won't expedite an application due to pregnancy or the birth of a child.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
KaZRa said:
Maybe this is just part of the form letter and I already paid it? I am going to check my receipts.

Finally some movement! Excited!
Form letter. If you've paid it, ignore that part.

Melinna said:
If you are refused re-entry, it will be a problem. It's rare but it happens.

Also note that IRCC requires you to be cohabiting with your spouse in Canada throughout the process, so if they realize you left for a month, it may be an issue for the application.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Wattala said:
Thank you very much MilesAway. i have one more clarification.what about visiting visa spousal sponsorship only for few months like 3 or 6 or a year? and i want to know if a person who got PR in canada,that person can sponsor his/her parents? what will be the procedures? but,since who has PR in canada ,Does that person has to do any documentation?and whats that parents has to do to immigrate canada from sri lanka ASAP?
You cannot sponsor someone for a TRV, they must apply and be approved on their own merits. You can provide a letter of support. You would be better off asking about that in the Visitors section of the forum.

The parents can apply for PR through an economic stream if they qualify. If not, you can sponsor them for PR once you meet the requirements as a sponsor.

diding

Oct 14, 2016
pls someone help me with this.
I read in the application instructions that upon completing form IM0008 and IM1344, a barvode will be generated. How come our forms didnt have any barcodes at the end of form IM0008 and IM1344? does it mean that we missed something? or does it mean it is not valid even if we have validated it before printing the forms?

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
diding said:
pls someone help me with this.
I read in the application instructions that upon completing form IM0008 and IM1344, a barvode will be generated. How come our forms didnt have any barcodes at the end of form IM0008 and IM1344? does it mean that we missed something? or does it mean it is not valid even if we have validated it before printing the forms?
did you click on the validate button on the top ?

diding

Oct 14, 2016
TANMEX said:
did you click on the validate button on the top ?
yes I did... uts still not showing. When I printed it, it showed YES at the very top part of the 1stbpage where it says VALIDATED.

diding

Oct 14, 2016
prvc said:
Hi. Can you try to print it again by clicking Print Preview first just to make sure the bar codes will show up before you print them?
Thanks. I try to preview and hit validate again but still, this was still showing up, no barcodes.

diding

Oct 14, 2016
prvc said:
We are talking about the Generic Application for the Sponsored Applicant, correct? And the one for the Sponsor? You can find the barcodes on page 4 of 6 for the Generic App. Can you check again?
Yes, it is. I tried to fill up a new form again but still, when i hit validate, no barcodes showing (for the sponsored applicant). My husband for IMM 1344 shows barcodes now, but mine still does not show any barcodes on page 4& 5. Im getting frustrated with this.

Misti2016

Nov 27, 2016
Hello everyone, :)

My wife is a PR holder and sponsored me as a Family class spouse applicant.
we FedEx our documents to CIC (Mississauga) in 19 Oct. 2016 and 10 Nov. 2016 CIC confirmed that they received the application Document. 19 Nov 2016 CIC E-mailed my wife that she is passed the eligibility assessment as an sponsor and also they send our application and documents to Singapore CIC office to check my eligibility as an PR applicant. 22 Nov 2016 I got a mail from CIC Singapore that they received my application and in progress....
Thats all I got update of the application....

Can you please guess or give me any idea how many days it will take to request for my Passport?
Or how long it will take to finished my assessment?

Thanks in advance. :)

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 14-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
Misti2016 said:
Hello everyone, :)

My wife is a PR holder and sponsored me as a Family class spouse applicant.
we FedEx our documents to CIC (Mississauga) in 19 Oct. 2016 and 10 Nov. 2016 CIC confirmed that they received the application Document. 19 Nov 2016 CIC E-mailed my wife that she is passed the eligibility assessment as an sponsor and also they send our application and documents to Singapore CIC office to check my eligibility as an PR applicant. 22 Nov 2016 I got a mail from CIC Singapore that they received my application and in progress....
Thats all I got update of the application....

Can you please guess or give me any idea how many days it will take to request for my Passport?
Or how long it will take to finished my assessment?

Thanks in advance. :)
It's anyone's guess as the speed depends on the 1. general process time by VO (ie. Singapore in your case) and 2. complexity of your background. Advice you join the Singapore timeline thread as it will be more specific there.

Amoo9

Star Member
Nov 11, 2016
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT/04/2016
vallabha147 said:
Hello Friends,

I submitted my wife's file on 7th Nov, Wednesday. I haven't got any mail from CIC yet.
When can I expect the first mail?
i got my first email in around 25 days......may be on the way