+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

JamesBox

Star Member
Jan 15, 2016
Med's Done....
11-02-2016
UK Police Certificate -

Edit - Found it. "For the country you currently live in, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country.

I received my UK Police Certificate in on December 21 2015. I planned to use it for my IEC application as well as my common-law application.
"

CIC need one which is less than 6 months old for IEC visas. (Last year they wanted them less than 3 months old)

I can't find proof on the CIC website or any of the forms which state how old it can be for Common-Law app.

If anyone can point me to the place where it says 3 or 6 months, that would be great!

Thanks!

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
JamesBox said:
UK Police Certificate -

I received my UK Police Certificate in on December 21 2015. I planned to use it for my IEC application as well as my common-law application.

CIC need one which is less than 6 months old for IEC visas. (Last year they wanted them less than 3 months old)

I can't find proof on the CIC website or any of the forms which state how old it can be for Common-Law app.

If anyone can point me to the place where it says 3 or 6 months, that would be great!

Thanks!

Edit - I haven't lived in the UK or any other country since I applied and received my current certificate.
If you no longer live in the country, the PCC's are good indefinitely. The 6 months is the time limit if you currently live in that country.

Who needs a police certificate?
In general, you and all the people in your family who are 18 or older need to get a police certificate. You must get one from each country or territory where you have lived for six or more months in a row since the age of 18. (For example, if you lived in a country for eight months but left on a two-week vacation, that counts as living there for eight months.)

For the country you currently live in, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country.

If your certificate is in a language other than English or French, send it when you apply, along with the original copy of a translation done by a certified translator.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

Lululemon21

Jan 12, 2016
Hi, I need advice again.. Me and my common-law husband who is PR has been living together for more than 2 years now. He just landed last December 2015 and, honest mistake, he did not inform Cic that he has a common-law wife. We went to a lawyer because we are planning to submit spousal sponsorship. I read from this forum about paragraph 117 and discussed it with the lawyer. What he said confused me, he said its ok to declare in the application that we haved lived together since 2013 because we did not declare it yet in any government form.
He said that in the form Statutory Declaration as common-law which is included in the application, we will just state the date that we have been cohabiting since jan. 2015 only, so by the time he landed, we were still not common-law. I told him but we are already living together since 2013. He said it doesnt matter because unless you declare your common-law relationship, you are still not considered common-law. He said that we can just say that we are living together but not common-law because we are still not sure about the relationship.
Is this true? This is really confusing. I don't know if this is true or not coz i have been reading in this forum and that's not what i understand. Please correct me if im wrong.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lululemon21 said:
Hi, I need advice again.. Me and my common-law husband who is PR has been living together for more than 2 years now. He just landed last December 2015 and, honest mistake, he did not inform Cic that he has a common-law wife. We went to a lawyer because we are planning to submit spousal sponsorship. I read from this forum about paragraph 117 and discussed it with the lawyer. What he said confused me, he said its ok to declare in the application that we haved lived together since 2013 because we did not declare it yet in any government form.
He said that in the form Statutory Declaration as common-law which is included in the application, we will just state the date that we have been cohabiting since jan. 2015 only, so by the time he landed, we were still not common-law. I told him but we are already living together since 2013. He said it doesnt matter because unless you declare your common-law relationship, you are still not considered common-law. He said that we can just say that we are living together but not common-law because we are still not sure about the relationship.
Is this true? This is really confusing. I don't know if this is true or not coz i have been reading in this forum and that's not what i understand. Please correct me if im wrong.
Totally wrong!

If you and your partner were in fact living together in a romantic relationship for one year or more on the day that he landed (CIC is not stupid and they'll figure it out if you pretend that you were just roommates)...he probably can never sponsor you.

I say `probably', because some people think that if he renounces his own PR and starts over, he can, but...that's yet to be proven.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Lululemon21 said:
The lawyer is trying to get you to lie (aka misrepresent) your common-law date on your application, because if a PR lands without declaring a dependant, that itself is misrepresentation, and the dependant (in this case, you) can NEVER be sponsored because they are no longer considered a member of the family class. If you decide to lie and get caught, it could result in a 5 year ban from Canada, and your husband might lose his PR.

As Ponga said, the only legit way is for him to sponsor you is for him to renounce his PR and redo the process with you added, but I don't think anyone has reported on this so no one here is sure if this would work.

The other option is for you to immigrate on your own through one of the immigration streams.

just a square

Mar 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2016
AOR Received.
08-07-2016
File Transfer...
SA 08-08-2016, AOR2 16-08-2016
Med's Done....
06-05-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
14-03-2017
Hi,

Me and my fiance are getting married next week and will apply for family sponsorship (outland).

How do you know which visa office will be processing the documents? I am from Lithuania, he's Canadian.
If we do it outland, can I come visit him before the application is approved?
From what I've read in the forum, it seems like everyone is sending the paper application package instead of doing it online. Why? Is it faster? I was thinking doing it online.
In one of the spreadsheets I saw a piece of advice saying that you should attach at least 100 pictures to prove that the marriage is genuine. Do you really need that many of them? Since we've been together for less than a year, I was thinking ~10 pics from different events would be ok. To be honest, I'm not sure what other proofs besides photos and chat logs we could provide since we don't have plane tickets, phone calls or any other oldschool means of communication. :D
Also, if he's unemployed now (still in University) and doesn't have a job at the moment, would that be an issue? I've read that financial situation doesn't really matter in this application bus there are still questions about the employment and so on, and I just want to be sure there will be no surprises.

Thanks for your help guys.

rainbow_girl

Mar 12, 2016
Hi,

I need your advise if our below plan is possible.

My fiance is a Canadian PR and I'm a Filipino with a Canadian tourist visa. We are planning to get married in Canada and apply my sponsorship here in the Philippines. While waiting for the approval of my sponsorship I will be going back and forth from Canada to the Philippines. Do you think this plan will work? Would it be better to get married in Canada or here in the country?

Thank you very much for your opinions. :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Lululemon21 said:
As said by Ponga and Aquakitty, your partner cannot sponsor you. You are excluded from the Family Class because your partner didn't include you in his PR app.

This lawyer is telling you to commit fraud. I seriously suggest that you report him/her.

TANMEX said:
The Lawyer knows the ins and outs of this Business , his advise will help you for sure , CIC will only know what you tell them .
declaring yourself as his Common-law since 2013 will definitely not help you ,another option is to get married and apply as a married couple.
Or Follow Your lawyer's advice and apply as common-law .
Advising someone to commit fraud is very stupid. Also, getting married doesn't change the fact that the OP is excluded from the Family Class.

Erin P

Mar 12, 2016
Thank you so much for this post. I am after some advice regarding my PR application. A few facts that will hopefully help to explain my situation, as everything on the CIC site seems quite confusing and I'm hoping that I've followed the correct process!

- I'm a New Zealand citizen
- My fiancé is Canadian
- We met in New Zealand back in 2004 but only got together in the beginning of 2014, we got engaged in November of 2014 before going travelling together for a year. We arrived in Canada at the beginning of September 2015 (I currently have a 1 year open work permit under IEC).
- We are getting married in July of this year.

About 3 weeks ago I sent my PR application along with an application to extend my work permit to CIC in Mississauga. I have applied for PR under the common-law spousal sponsorship class (but obviously provided information about our upcoming wedding), I found information saying that I needed to send my application for a work permit extension in paper along with my PR application - so that's what I've done. Was this the correct process?

Now that this is all said and done, how do I find out about the status of my application? I'm worried that because the processing time for PR is so long that they won't even see that I've applied for a work permit extension and will get booted out come September.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
Lululemon21 said:
Whatever you do, please report your lawyer to the law society for advising you to commit fraud.

I know this is a very bad situation to be in and I understand you may want to follow the lawyers' advice, just be aware that CIC does security checks and background checks and if you lie about where you have lived from 2013 to 2015 there's a very good chance CIC will find out. From 2013 to 2015 did you live in Canada on visitor status by any chance ? If so, 100% CIC will have your reported address. If you were living abroad your chances of getting caught in a lie are lower however there's still a good chance CIC will clue in and you and your spouse will be charged with misrepresentation. In this case you will get a 5 year ban and won't even get a chance to apply through a different stream.

edmonton1985

Star Member
May 24, 2015
Thanks very much for your help. I just hope we both do not get questioned or god forbid, anything to do with deportation.

Aquakitty said:
You did the right thing by telling the truth, your wife already landed so she is officially a PR, you do have condition 51 but in this case you explained the circumstances so all should be fine.

I could be wrong, but I doubt they are putting much emphasis on the condition 51 since the new government is planning to repeal it.

bullionvault

Star Member
Apr 9, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2013
AOR Received.
27-11-2013
Med's Request
02-05-2014
Med's Done....
03-05-2014
Passport Req..
05-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2014
LANDED..........
28-06-2014
Dear friends, I am in a situation and desperately looking for advice to get out of this. Will be extremely grateful if you could help please.

Me and my spouse are landed PRs in Canada. But currently we are in India. Our daughter was born in India last year. I am looking to come back to Canada next year and hence looking to get her sponsorship done. But I am scheduled to travel to USA next week and hence planning to take my family also to USA and cross across to Canada in a few months.

I saw that one condition for sponsoring my daughter is that one of us should be in Canada. We exited Canada in 2014 and never reentered. I am looking for some way to satisfy that condition while I am on the USA assignment. I was thinking of following possibilities to show that I am in and out of Canada.

1. Cross the border during weekends and show some sort of entry exit record.
2. Get a bank statement hard copy to show some proof. The address provided is that of a house owned by my friend.
3. Get a rental agreement from my friend on his house and show that as residence proof.

These are the queries I have on the above scenario?

1. In case I apply while in USA by saying that I am residing in Canada, what is the chance of them asking for proof?
2. In case they ask, would any of the above work?
3. Is there any other option at all for sponsoring her?
4. What are the chances that a TRV will be approved if we apply from USA? I understand that they would look for grounds to see that she returns after temporary visit. I was thinking of showing my employment offer in USA to prove that she would return with me when I come back to USA.

Pardon me if I am crossing some lines with any of the above options. I am just listing out what ever is coming to my mind now. Kindly provide guidance.

Please help urgently :'(!!! Thanks a ton in advance for all the advice !!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Erin P said:
About 3 weeks ago I sent my PR application along with an application to extend my work permit to CIC in Mississauga. I have applied for PR under the common-law spousal sponsorship class (but obviously provided information about our upcoming wedding), I found information saying that I needed to send my application for a work permit extension in paper along with my PR application - so that's what I've done. Was this the correct process?

Now that this is all said and done, how do I find out about the status of my application? I'm worried that because the processing time for PR is so long that they won't even see that I've applied for a work permit extension and will get booted out come September.
You should seriously consider immediately withdrawing your inland app and applying outland. Sydney is one of the fastest offices around and there would be a good chance that you would be a PR before your IEC permit expires.

bullionvault said:
Pardon me if I am crossing some lines with any of the above options. I am just listing out what ever is coming to my mind now. Kindly provide guidance.
Guidance? Don't commit fraud. You must be residing in Canada to sponsor your child.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
just a square said:
Hi,

Me and my fiance are getting married next week and will apply for family sponsorship (outland).

How do you know which visa office will be processing the documents? I am from Lithuania, he's Canadian.
If we do it outland, can I come visit him before the application is approved?
From what I've read in the forum, it seems like everyone is sending the paper application package instead of doing it online. Why? Is it faster? I was thinking doing it online.
In one of the spreadsheets I saw a piece of advice saying that you should attach at least 100 pictures to prove that the marriage is genuine. Do you really need that many of them? Since we've been together for less than a year, I was thinking ~10 pics from different events would be ok. To be honest, I'm not sure what other proofs besides photos and chat logs we could provide since we don't have plane tickets, phone calls or any other oldschool means of communication. :D
Also, if he's unemployed now (still in University) and doesn't have a job at the moment, would that be an issue? I've read that financial situation doesn't really matter in this application bus there are still questions about the employment and so on, and I just want to be sure there will be no surprises.

Thanks for your help guys.
Everyone sends a paper application because that is the only option...
Lithuanian applicants are processed in Warsaw. Yes, you can visit if you apply outland.