+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

pop32

May 23, 2015
Hi Everyone,

Please help.

I am completing the Generic Application Form and stuck on the Dependants.
Do I need to include my wife (my sponsor) and my son who are already in Canada and permanent resident or no need to include them?

It is stated there:
You must provide the following details about each of your family members, whether they will be accompanying you or not. You must include your spouse or common-law partner if applicable, and all you dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or Citizens of Canada

I just want to clear my doubts as I want to make no mistakes on my application.

Thank you.

Canadian1981

Feb 5, 2015
Hello!
I'm sure someone has posted this somewhere already, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
My wife and I where on vacation and upon returning she got pulled aside for an interview at immigration (as is normal because she's not a citizen). We hadn't put in her application yet and the immigration officer asked her why. After a long chat giving her (my wife) useful information about the process she mentioned that with the new pilot program the open work permit allows you to come and go as you please. So, if like us you travel a lot, applying inland is an option now as you're able to leave the country without the fear of having your application canceled.

On a side note, we're sending in her application outland (she's French, and she got a working holiday visa) and she lives with me in Canada. Should we put her application in an envelope and then put that envelope with my sponsorship application in another envelope? Or just put it all together in one envelope?

Thanks in advance!

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
Canadian1981 said:
Hello!
I'm sure someone has posted this somewhere already, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
My wife and I where on vacation and upon returning she got pulled aside for an interview at immigration (as is normal because she's not a citizen). We hadn't put in her application yet and the immigration officer asked her why. After a long chat giving her (my wife) useful information about the process she mentioned that with the new pilot program the open work permit allows you to come and go as you please. So, if like us you travel a lot, applying inland is an option now as you're able to leave the country without the fear of having your application canceled.

On a side note, we're sending in her application outland (she's French, and she got a working holiday visa) and she lives with me in Canada. Should we put her application in an envelope and then put that envelope with my sponsorship application in another envelope? Or just put it all together in one envelope?

Thanks in advance!
All in one envelope.

Be wary of taking one CBSA agent's advice about something as potentially catastrophic as this. Individuals at CBSA and CIC are notorious for not knowing the rules. Ask 3 different people in those agencies the same question and you'll get 3 different answers.

Canadian1981

Feb 5, 2015
bigredmoose said:
All in one envelope.

Be wary of taking one CBSA agent's advice about something as potentially catastrophic as this. Individuals at CBSA and CIC are notorious for not knowing the rules. Ask 3 different people in those agencies the same question and you'll get 3 different answers.
Fair enough, this has been the case with most of our contact with CIC, we just assumed that one of the people responsible for physically letting you into the country would have a better idea. How are there no set in stone rules about these kind of things?

All in the same envelope, thanks!

Canadian1981

Feb 5, 2015
Also, we're not sure if we should include all our text messages to each other. It's how we communicate outside of skype most of the time. All our texts are over 1000 pages, and that seems a bit excessive not only for the amount of paper and cost of shipping it but who is going to actually read 1000 pages of text messages? Would it be acceptable to reduce that to say 30 pages?

Thanks again.

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15.05.2015 in hand 29.05.2015
LANDED..........
Canadian1981 said:
Also, we're not sure if we should include all our text messages to each other. It's how we communicate outside of skype most of the time. All our texts are over 1000 pages, and that seems a bit excessive not only for the amount of paper and cost of shipping it but who is going to actually read 1000 pages of text messages? Would it be acceptable to reduce that to say 30 pages?

Thanks again.
Less is more really. Why have so much proof of correspondence when a simple explanation will probably do? Are you apart often for long periods? Sorry I might have missed that.

Proof of vacations together, proof of time spent together and letters confirming your relationship should be solid enough evidence. My partner and lived in different cities for over two years of our relationship, in our essay I simply said that we commuted back and forth and communicated by phone, email and text. They didn't ask for further evidence.

I do really think some folks go over board proving things when the relationship is pretty straight forward. (forgive me if I have made incorrect assumptions)

Canadian1981

Feb 5, 2015
kettle said:
Less is more really. Why have so much proof of correspondence when a simple explanation will probably do? Are you apart often for long periods? Sorry I might have missed that.

Proof of vacations together, proof of time spent together and letters confirming your relationship should be solid enough evidence. My partner and lived in different cities for over two years of our relationship, in our essay I simply said that we commuted back and forth and communicated by phone, email and text. They didn't ask for further evidence.

I do really think some folks go over board proving things when the relationship is pretty straight forward. (forgive me if I have made incorrect assumptions)
That's what we figured, but from our past experiences with CIC we just weren't sure. We've only been apart for around 6 months or so total. We've got a timeline of things we've done with pictures and a printout of our skype history. We where just going to add in a few pages of texts throughout the periods we where apart and where hoping they wouldn't want more.

Thanks for your input!

Can baby

Star Member
May 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2015
Doc's Request.
29-05-2015
AOR Received.
11-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-04-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-05-2015.... Received by POS 08-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-2015
LANDED..........
Hubby's planning for November
pop32 said:
Hi Everyone,

Please help.

I am completing the Generic Application Form and stuck on the Dependants.
Do I need to include my wife (my sponsor) and my son who are already in Canada and permanent resident or no need to include them?

It is stated there:
You must provide the following details about each of your family members, whether they will be accompanying you or not. You must include your spouse or common-law partner if applicable, and all you dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or Citizens of Canada

I just want to clear my doubts as I want to make no mistakes on my application.

Thank you.
No. You do not include them there. They are already in Canada. It clearly states "who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada".

canadian /nepal

Jun 17, 2015
hello iam 17 years older than my husband iam Canadian he is nepali I have been to Nepal 2 times in the past year for 3 months each
we were approved for the 1st part of the sponsorship now he has his interview on june 30 and iam nervous we were married in Nepal in temple in his culture his family was there mine was not and could not go bc of the death of my mother the month before our marriage I was already in Nepal when she passed any thing anyone knows about the interview process would help have been apart from my hubby since nov 2nd and it is killing me miss him so bad I have plans to go back in august for another month I don't know what to think about the interview all I know is I love my husband and I am prepaired to leave my kids who are grown and grand babies and family to go live in his country with him if it comes to this point bc I married him for ever and we love each other so much cant be apart any more any help would be appericated

pop32

May 23, 2015
Can baby said:
No. You do not include them there. They are already in Canada. It clearly states "who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada".
Thanks. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Can baby

Star Member
May 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2015
Doc's Request.
29-05-2015
AOR Received.
11-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-04-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-05-2015.... Received by POS 08-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-2015
LANDED..........
Hubby's planning for November
pop32 said:
Thanks. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
No worries. I hear you. Have to make sure you cross all the T's and dot all the I's with these things. :)

jmjmjmjm

Star Member
Oct 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 23, 2015
AOR Received.
April 22, 2015
File Transfer...
May 25, 2015
Med's Done....
February 2015
Passport Req..
June 10, 2015 passport sent to CEM Sept. 4, 2015
Jolei said:
Hello jmjmjmjm, yes i think so it's the passport request and everything,congratulations! :) it's really different now, 2yrs ago we sent our passport thru the dropbox at CEM but now it's not allowed anymore and should be courier. :) can you pls post your timeline, about when did you submit your application? Thank you! :)
Thank you, not sure how to post the timeline. Are u able to help me?

nicsmith147

Apr 9, 2014
Hey guys,

I just got asked for more proof that me and my partner have been living together for at least one year. I have already given bills and our mortgage statement with both our names and the address we live at. Maybe I need to provide proof of this for that full year period? Anyone else have any more ideas of proof?

They also want more proof that we plan to come to Canada as we both are currently in Australia. Do you think a one way plane ticket would do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

flittering

Jun 18, 2015
Hi everyone. Completely new here and completely lost as to how to go about this immigration thing.

My husband and I are intending to file an application for me to join him in Canada. I am an American, and we have been in a long distance relationship for over 3.5 years, but only married recently. We are tired of long distance. We spoke to an immigration lawyer, just to pick his brain, but decided not to hire him. However, I let my husband take the notes during that, and now I wish I hadn't because he seems to have neglected to write down the most important thing: outland or inland.

I think we had intended to do inland, we have notes on the new law that allows me to get a work permit within four months. That seems to only apply to the inland route. Am I correct in this?

Also, if I did do the inland route, is there any way to have some of my goods join us? After all, I live in a 50% state, and they are now half his. ;D While we could have family store everything, some of the items (wedding gifts like vacuums, a mixer, etc) would be immediately useful and we don't want to have to buy everything new when we have new. Shipping them to him, either now or after I've joined him - is that a viable option? I never intended to bring much in the way of furniture, so I suppose that can wait (although it would be nice to get that there as well).

Thank you for your time and help.

LLAngel

Star Member
Feb 11, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2015
Doc's Request.
15-09-2015
AOR Received.
20-05-2015
File Transfer...
07-06-2015 (SA) 03-09-2015 (status changed to In Process since 07-21) DM -Nov 26th..received DOCs ready for pick up email
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-03-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Submitted with Additional Docs Requested on Oct. 22nd
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 24th and received passport Dec 2nd.
LANDED..........
Landed Dec 6th!!! Wohooo..finally all done!
flittering said:
Hi everyone. Completely new here and completely lost as to how to go about this immigration thing.

My husband and I are intending to file an application for me to join him in Canada. I am an American, and we have been in a long distance relationship for over 3.5 years, but only married recently. We are tired of long distance. We spoke to an immigration lawyer, just to pick his brain, but decided not to hire him. However, I let my husband take the notes during that, and now I wish I hadn't because he seems to have neglected to write down the most important thing: outland or inland.

I think we had intended to do inland, we have notes on the new law that allows me to get a work permit within four months. That seems to only apply to the inland route. Am I correct in this?

Also, if I did do the inland route, is there any way to have some of my goods join us? After all, I live in a 50% state, and they are now half his. ;D While we could have family store everything, some of the items (wedding gifts like vacuums, a mixer, etc) would be immediately useful and we don't want to have to buy everything new when we have new. Shipping them to him, either now or after I've joined him - is that a viable option? I never intended to bring much in the way of furniture, so I suppose that can wait (although it would be nice to get that there as well).

Thank you for your time and help.
Hello Flittering, Welcome to the site :)

If you go on the very first page of this thread/topic, you will see all the answers there about inland vs outland. ( I would paste the link but forum is very slow).
About moving stuff...I'm not sure...I'll let the more experienced people answer that. What I have read though is that if you show up at border with too much stuff...or valuable items, cic can deny you entry as they will immediately suspect you not returning to USA/

Hope it helps. Good Luck