+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

MailGabiLee

Jul 8, 2014
Hello,

I need some advice of what we should.
My boyfriend is Canadian citizen and i live overseas,we decided to get married and live together in Canada.
I wanted before we do that to go and visit him,but my TRV got denied and i said in my application that i am just going for a visit,but the officer wasn't convinced that i will leave the country,and haven't mentioned that we plan on a wedding,and we are thinking what we could do now.
We was talking,he to come to my country and to get married here.
What is the chance after that i to be allowed to come to Canada as Permanent resident,after the marriage.What are the best steps we can take.Or what else we can do if someone have experienced the same problems.

Thank you in advance.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MailGabiLee said:
Hello,

I need some advice of what we should.
My boyfriend is Canadian citizen and i live overseas,we decided to get married and live together in Canada.
I wanted before we do that to go and visit him,but my TRV got denied and i said in my application that i am just going for a visit,but the officer wasn't convinced that i will leave the country,and haven't mentioned that we plan on a wedding,and we are thinking what we could do now.
What is the chance after that i to be allowed to come to Canada as Permanent resident,after the marriage.What are the best steps we can take.Or what else we can do if someone have experienced the same problems.

Thank you in advance.
What country are you from?

You can apply immediately AFTER you are married. After your PR has been approved, you will receive the CoPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) document in the mail and then you simply come to Canada to `land' as a Permanent Resident.

The processing times are posted on CIC's website.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
MailGabiLee said:
What is the chance after that i to be allowed to come to Canada as Permanent resident,after the marriage.
If you were already denied a TRV, then after getting married it is even more difficult to get TRV so you have slim to none chance there.

You most likely need to wait until you get full PR status to come to Canada. If you apply for PR outland after getting married, you are looking at around 1 year at least for processing, depending what your visa office is.

EBUENCONS

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
18-09-2013
Med's Done....
17-7-2013
Interview........
hope not anymore
Passport Req..
13-05-2014
LANDED..........
hopefully this july
HI i just have question guys,if the CEM already request for our passport is there still a possibility of refusal???what are the chances that the application wil be refused? thank you

Katie07

Feb 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 6,2013
AOR Received.
April 18,2013
LANDED..........
December 10,2008
hello, I am still waiting for the DM right, I know that some of you guys have received your PR already and I am quite anxious about my application, my question is should I called and inquire CIC already or should I just wait until 8 months past, and I have another question, I am currently 9weeks pregnant, do I have to inform CIC, some of my friends told me yes but I was reading the website and it doesn't say about being pregnant, CIC needs to be informed, it does say though that when you gave birth. so any suggestion on my situation i will greatly appreciate :)

Katie07

Feb 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 6,2013
AOR Received.
April 18,2013
LANDED..........
December 10,2008
Katie07 said:
hello, I am still waiting for the DM right, I know that some of you guys have received your PR already and I am quite anxious about my application, my question is should I called and inquire CIC already or should I just wait until 8 months past, and I have another question, I am currently 9weeks pregnant, do I have to inform CIC, some of my friends told me yes but I was reading the website and it doesn't say about being pregnant, CIC needs to be informed, it does say though that when you gave birth. so any suggestion on my situation i will greatly appreciate :)

Note:
I did received my OWP though last january 20,2014, and it says on my e-cas that they started processing my application that day.

robbie43

Apr 5, 2014
hey guys,
I'm just curious on how long things take. Been forever already. I sent my wife application on November 26th 2013 and it arrived New Delhi December 20th 2013. My wife sent her passport in on March 4th 2014 to immigration when receiving the letter and since then we got nothing. It been 7 months already. When I check online on the CIC website is says Medical received. Can someone please help us =(. Thank you

Robbie.

laotumao

Sep 26, 2012
Re: Refused admission=refused visa???

Hi, Senior members,

For the purpose of Spousal Sponsorsip, I am filling Schedule A: Background Declaration IMM5669. I got stuck in one question:"Have you ever been refused admission to, or ordered to leave Canada, or any other countries?" My friend's spouse got refused twice for his temperay resident visa years ago. Does that fall under this "refused admission to Canada"? I am not sure since it sounds a little different from "refused visa". Please advice me. Thank you.

elileit

Jul 9, 2014
Hi,

I have a quick question. I am a Canadian citizen living abroad and my boyfriend and I have been talking about where we will live in a year or two when we are finished our studies. Should we stay here, or go to Canada. I know it will be in a year or two but never too early to look :)

Most likely I would sponsor him as a spouse. I understand everything we would have to do but I am unclear about one thing. It says I would be financially responsible for him for three years. Now, what exactly does this "financially responsible" mean? Does anyone know?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
elileit said:
Hi,

I have a quick question. I am a Canadian citizen living abroad and my boyfriend and I have been talking about where we will live in a year or two when we are finished our studies. Should we stay here, or go to Canada. I know it will be in a year or two but never too early to look :)

Most likely I would sponsor him as a spouse. I understand everything we would have to do but I am unclear about one thing. It says I would be financially responsible for him for three years. Now, what exactly does this "financially responsible" mean? Does anyone know?
Financially responsible means that if for any reason he goes on welfare / social assistance during these three years - you will be responsible for paying this money to the government (regardless if you are still together as a couple or not).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Re: Refused admission=refused visa???

laotumao said:
Hi, Senior members,

For the purpose of Spousal Sponsorsip, I am filling Schedule A: Background Declaration IMM5669. I got stuck in one question:"Have you ever been refused admission to, or ordered to leave Canada, or any other countries?" My friend's spouse got refused twice for his temperay resident visa years ago. Does that fall under this "refused admission to Canada"? I am not sure since it sounds a little different from "refused visa". Please advice me. Thank you.
Yes - a Temporary Resident Visa is certainly a visa. So the answer to this question is certainly "yes".

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
robbie43 said:
hey guys,
I'm just curious on how long things take. Been forever already. I sent my wife application on November 26th 2013 and it arrived New Delhi December 20th 2013. My wife sent her passport in on March 4th 2014 to immigration when receiving the letter and since then we got nothing. It been 7 months already. When I check online on the CIC website is says Medical received. Can someone please help us =(. Thank you

Robbie.
your best option would be to check out the new delhi thread to see what the current "trend" is for applications. Some visa offices take longer than others. There are some visa offices that have been processing Nov/Dec. applications, and there are some still waiting. You are going to get a quicker answer on your visa office's specific thread.

Arianaanger

Jul 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 3, 2016
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
December 2, 2016
Med's Done....
September 26, 2016
Great post ! My husband and I have decided to apply outside Canada. He prepared all the documents and then came to visit me in Canada and we got married. Since his documents had to be translated and motorized (he's South Korean) they expire at the end of August. Once we got the marriage certificate we were planning on sending away our package but my last name will not yet be changed to my married last name. Do I just fill out the documents with my family last name and when my last name is changed notify immigration? Or should I wait to change it until after he has his PR card?
Thanks so much for any help !

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Katie07 said:
I am currently 9weeks pregnant, do I have to inform CIC, some of my friends told me yes but I was reading the website and it doesn't say about being pregnant, CIC needs to be informed, it does say though that when you gave birth. so any suggestion on my situation i will greatly appreciate :)
You don't need to inform CIC about pregnancy. Only if child is born, and then as long as child is Canadian by birth they only need to be added to "additional family info" form so it's a very easy update.

However if your first medical exam expires and CIC requests you to do a new medical exam, then you will need to defer the x-ray portion (which can be harmful to fetus) until after you give birth. Obviously this would delay your PR until after you give birth, so hopefully they approve your app before medical expires or can extend your current medical.

JAMO1973

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 6, 2014
AOR Received.
Nov. 19, 2014 AOR2 Feb.12 and request for PGR same day
File Transfer...
Nov. 24, 2014
Med's Done....
July 24, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 28, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 6, 2015
Hi everyone. I have a question about when people write letters of support to show intent to return. I live outside of Canada so my mother and some friends have written letters saying they will give my wife and I a place to stay, food etc. until we get our life underway in Canada. Now the question.
Is the letter enough or does the person writing the letter need to scan and e-mail identification also?