+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

guru_guru

Oct 8, 2013
. Can anyone tell me,Those who got their DM, what are they getting from Ndvo. Direct passport, or a call or what? And after how many days?Thank you

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
You can leave, the problem is that if you are refused re-entry for any reason, your application is abandoned and you need to re-start from scratch. If you aren't visa exempt, it's often a big risk. If you are visa-exempt, it's still a risk, but it all depends on the border guard you encounter. They may decide you are a risk for overstaying, and thus not "visiting", and deny you.

calgaryboy24

Star Member
May 29, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-10-2012
AOR Received.
August-2012
Med's Request
March-20-2013
Med's Done....
April-06-2013
calgaryboy24 said:
Hello Guys, i need some help and suggestions on how to apply for my wife PR.

I recently got PR in july and got married in October in India. My wife is brazilian and i am all set to apply for her pr in some days. Can someone explain me about the process. Do i have to send her application to Ontario office and then immigration will send it to Brazil office?

Thanks a lot in advance
Here is my case, I have been dating a Brazilian girl for almost 3 yrs and got married with her on 6th October in India. Am i eligible to sponsor her?

I checked CIC eligibility link and saying the followings:

As of October 25, 2012, sponsored spouses or partners must live with their sponsor in a legitimate relationship for two years from the day they get their permanent resident status in Canada.

This applies to you if:

a permanent resident or Canadian citizen is sponsoring you,
you and your sponsor have been in a relationship for two years or less,
you have no children in common and
we got your application on or after October 25, 2012

Please advice, as we were in relationship for more than 2 yrs before getting married

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
calgaryboy24 said:
Here is my case, I have been dating a Brazilian girl for almost 3 yrs and got married with her on 6th October in India. Am i eligible to sponsor her?
Your quote about the two year relationship actually applies to people who separate after getting PR, that is sponsored spouses who are in a relationship with their sponsor for less than 2 years at the time of the application and have no children are only granted a temporary 2 year PR and if they are no longer with their spouse after 2 years they may lose their PR status.

Your eligibility to sponsor your spouse would be based on other things, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp

You can sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner (partner), or dependent children if you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada. To be a sponsor, you must be 18 or older.

When you sponsor one of these relatives to become permanent residents of Canada, you must support them financially. This means you have to meet certain income guidelines.

If you have sponsored relatives to come to Canada in the past, and they have later asked the government for financial help, you may not be allowed to sponsor another person. Sponsorship is a big commitment, so you must take it seriously.

To be a sponsor you must:

•agree in writing to give financial support to your relative, if they need it
◦for a spouse or partner, this lasts for three years from the date they become a permanent resident, and
◦for a dependent child, this lasts for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.

Your relative must also agree to try to support themselves.

You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:

•did not meet the terms of a sponsorship agreement in the past,
•did not pay alimony or child support even though a court ordered it,
•get government financial help for reasons other than being disabled,
•were convicted of
◦an offence of a sexual nature,
◦a violent crime,
◦an offence against a relative that resulted in bodily harm or
◦an attempt or threat to commit any such offences, depending on the detailss of the case, such as
◾the type of offence,
◾how long ago it occurred and
◾whether a record suspension was issued (see Sponsorship bar for violent crime below),

•were sponsored as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner in the past and became a permanent resident of Canada less than five years ago (see Five-year sponsorship bar below)
•did not pay back an immigration loan, made late payments or missed payments,
•are in prison or
•have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.

Other things not on this list may stop you from being able to sponsor a relative.

If you live in Quebec, Citizenship and Immigration Canada must approve you as a sponsor first. Then you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor.

ramans

Nov 10, 2012
guru_guru said:
. Can anyone tell me,Those who got their DM, what are they getting from Ndvo. Direct passport, or a call or what? And after how many days?Thank you

I am getting direct passport :p :p hopefully in a week

calgaryboy24

Star Member
May 29, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-10-2012
AOR Received.
August-2012
Med's Request
March-20-2013
Med's Done....
April-06-2013
Leon said:
Your quote about the two year relationship actually applies to people who separate after getting PR, that is sponsored spouses who are in a relationship with their sponsor for less than 2 years at the time of the application and have no children are only granted a temporary 2 year PR and if they are no longer with their spouse after 2 years they may lose their PR status.

Your eligibility to sponsor your spouse would be based on other things, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp
Thanks for clarifying my doubt Leon. We were never married before and got married in October 2013. I became PR in July 2013 and i am in the process of applying her pr but still going through the process. I came back to Canada 2 days ago and currently unemployed, do you think this could create problems for her pr?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
calgaryboy24 said:
Thanks for clarifying my doubt Leon. We were never married before and got married in October 2013. I became PR in July 2013 and i am in the process of applying her pr but still going through the process. I came back to Canada 2 days ago and currently unemployed, do you think this could create problems for her pr?
You will need to convince CIC that you won't require social assistance. They will consider the assets and abilities of both of you in making that determination. So there's no magic number here, but rather a subjective standard. If you have family or friends willing to help you get settled, they will consider that as well.

You won't be disqualified for not having employment, but you will be subject to scrutiny.

Atrotman

Oct 27, 2013
I am a US citizen and my husband is a Canadian Citizen. We have a daughter together. I have heard you can get an open work visa after step one of the inland application. How do you go about doing this? My paperwork is about to be looked at finally and I Would love to get the paperwork there so I Can work asap. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Atrotman said:
I am a US citizen and my husband is a Canadian Citizen. We have a daughter together. I have heard you can get an open work visa after step one of the inland application. How do you go about doing this? My paperwork is about to be looked at finally and I Would love to get the paperwork there so I Can work asap. Thanks!
You'll have to wait until you receive first stage approval (Approval In Principal). Once you have AIP, you can then submit the open work permit application.

The faster method would have been to submit an open work permit together with your original inland application.

visiting_canada

Sep 3, 2009
Hi All,

I have few queries if someone could help regarding spouse PR application for New Delhi, India.

1. As I just moved to Canada from US (I was working in the US for the last 7 years), I will not receive my first Canadian payslip until the end of November 2013. I can provide HR letter stating my yearly Canadian salary, and salary slips/income tax documents from US. Should I apply with these US documents or should I wait for my first Canadian payslip?

2. My wife does not have Indian birth certificate. Can I provide matriculation/Class Xth certificate in lieu of the birth certificate?

3. My wife is currently visiting US and will go back to India in December. Can we get her upfront medical done in US itself (DMP)? If yes, where will the Doctor send the medical reports? To Mississauga office or do we need to tell him to send the reports to New Delhi?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

KKRSTNA

Dec 17, 2012
Re: Spousal sponsorship

If I land PR would I be able to work/go to school without any permits?

Would I be able to obtain financial aid?

Can someone please answer my question. I'm quite depressed seeing how I'm not able to do much. I just came here from California about two weeks ago to be with my boyfriend but I would love to be able to work and go to school...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Re: Spousal sponsorship

KKRSTNA said:
If I land PR would I be able to work/go to school without any permits?

Would I be able to obtain financial aid?

Can someone please answer my question. I'm quite depressed seeing how I'm not able to do much. I just came here from California about two weeks ago to be with my boyfriend but I would love to be able to work and go to school...
Once you become a PR you can attend school and work without permits.

As for financial aid - it depends what kind of financial aid you're asking about. Can you elaborate?