+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sama.Karady said:
I'm sorry I don't get it..?? And Yes, I still haven't met my residency obligation...I still have 3 years though, but am not sure i'll be able to stay 2 yrs out of the 3... What do you mean it doesn't count in 5 year blocks?
You must spend at least 730 days in Canada in your first 5 years as a PR and after that in any rolling 5 year period. That means 5 years after you get your PR, your first days that you stayed in Canada after your landing will move outside the 5 year window and you will have to replace them with new days stayed in Canada. After you have been a PR for more than 5 years, you must always have 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years.

You say you may not be able to meet the RO. You have said you want to get married and sponsor your husband while staying outside Canada. It has been explained to you that there are problems with your plans. There are loopholes to keep your PR if you manage to get in without being reported before your PR card expires but you must be living in Canada in order to sponsor your husband and you can not sponsor your husband if you don't meet the RO. It seems to me that you have to make up your mind what is more important to you, keeping your PR or living with your husband in your home country for the next 2 years. If you come back to Canada after getting married and sponsor your husband, you can meet the RO. If you stay in your home country with your husband, you will not be able to sponsor him and you will not meet the RO.

Sama.Karady

Aug 20, 2013
Leon said:
You must spend at least 730 days in Canada in your first 5 years as a PR and after that in any rolling 5 year period. That means 5 years after you get your PR, your first days that you stayed in Canada after your landing will move outside the 5 year window and you will have to replace them with new days stayed in Canada. After you have been a PR for more than 5 years, you must always have 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years.

You say you may not be able to meet the RO. You have said you want to get married and sponsor your husband while staying outside Canada. It has been explained to you that there are problems with your plans. There are loopholes to keep your PR if you manage to get in without being reported before your PR card expires but you must be living in Canada in order to sponsor your husband and you can not sponsor your husband if you don't meet the RO. It seems to me that you have to make up your mind what is more important to you, keeping your PR or living with your husband in your home country for the next 2 years. If you come back to Canada after getting married and sponsor your husband, you can meet the RO. If you stay in your home country with your husband, you will not be able to sponsor him and you will not meet the RO.
=( ok..Thanks alot.. Just hoped I could find a way

sid4ever2009

Apr 29, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/16/2013
AOR Received.
02/18/2013
File Transfer...
Date Unknown LA to Ottawa
Med's Done....
10/01/2012
Passport Req..
23/08/2013
Quick question, after getting a passport picture request, how long does it take for them to respond with a COPR? And after the COPR how long does it take to arrive at your door step? This is for a USA applicant.

Thanks!

Betina

Jul 17, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
Doc's Request.
05-08-2013 (IMM5669E/Q8), 14-11-2013 (proof of return, of funds, of cohabitation)
AOR Received.
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
11-06-2013
Med's Done....
12-11-2012, repeat x-ray for extension 23-01-2014 (extension granted)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2014
mastmunda.longi said:
can we attach two sponser letters(two different letters from different persons) with one tourist visa application??????
I think you're referring to letters of invitation. Please try asking in the Visitors thread, this is Family Sponsorship.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/visitors-b8.0/

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
sid4ever2009 said:
Quick question, after getting a passport picture request, how long does it take for them to respond with a COPR? And after the COPR how long does it take to arrive at your door step? This is for a USA applicant.

Thanks!
Do you mean the copy of the passport 's ID page?

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
Sama.Karady said:
I'm sorry I don't get it..?? And Yes, I still haven't met my residency obligation...I still have 3 years though, but am not sure i'll be able to stay 2 yrs out of the 3... What do you mean it doesn't count in 5 year blocks?

Thankss
The easier way to see it is this. From today, or any day you need to think about your residency obligation to check if you have met it, you need to count the number of days you have been in Canada for the past 5 years. So if today is Dec 31, 2013, you should count the days you have been in Canada as a PR since Jan 1st 2009, because from Jan 1st 2009 to Dec 31st 2013 there are 5yrs. If the number of days you were in Canada total 730 or more then that means you met your residency obligation; otherwise, you didn't.

If you have not been a PR for 5yrs yet, the calculation is done by determining if the number of days that remain from today until the first 5 yrs will total 730 days (if you were to spend them in Canada) in order to know if you will be able to meet the residency obligation. For example, let's say you landed Jan 1st 2013. 5yrs from that day will be Dec 31st 2017. Let's also say that you left Canada on Jan 2nd 2013. You will need to come back to Canada on a date prior to 730 days remaining before Dec 31st 2017 (that is, you need to come back by Jan 1st 2016 - and you must remain physically in Canada until Dec 31st 2017 if you want to meet your residency requirement).

As I said before, after the 5th year as a PR you must only count the last 5 years as a PR and the days you were physically in Canada within that period to meet the residency obligation (must be 730 days). There are a few exceptions, among them, living abroad with a Canadian spouse (which does not seem to be your case) will count towards the residency obligation, even if not physically in Canada (however, that time does not count towards citizenship - only time spent in Canada counts towards citizenship).

Please note that my calculations may be one day off. This is because CIC counts "in-Canada" days only the days you are in Canada and the days you arrive in Canada. Days you leave Canada do not count. For example, if you arrived in Canada on Jan 1st, and left Canada on Jan 3rd, that only counts as 2 days (not 3), because the day you depart Canada does not count as a day in Canada.

Hungary

Jul 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2013
File Transfer...
2013-09-20
Med's Done....
28-05-2013
Passport Req..
Exempt
Hi :(

I got an answer from Vienna, I sent them an email explaining my case and a question last week what to do. And now I am totally confused and don't know what to do.
CPC M sent me to Vienna, because they are not going on with sponsorship before I submit this TD app.....
And now Vienna sent this:

Dear Ms. *********,

Our office in Vienna has not yet received your application form Case Processing Centre Mississauga. .

You may wish to submit an explanatory letter together with the new Family Class sponsorship application; It is very much likely that you have lost your PR status; Please see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp#lose_status

You will be instructed in the course of the new Family class application process.

Visa Office / Bureau des visas

Canadian Embassy/ Ambassade du Canada

Laurenzerberg 2/ 3

A-1010 Vienna/ Vienne

Austria/Autriche

www.kanada.at

contactsm

Jul 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2013
Doc's Request.
23-01-2013
AOR Received.
23-01-2013
File Transfer...
05-02-2013
Med's Request
23-01-2013
Med's Done....
03-01-2013
Passport Req..
4 march but missed mail hence sent on 7 sept
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully today
LANDED..........
hopefully tomorrow
Hi,
Need a small help incase if any one can help.
My husband is in Canada and our sponsorship is approved and file moved to Delhi on 5th feb..
On july 24th my husband filed for GCMS NOTES paying 5$ fees
But so far no revert from them and we have no idea how to follow up with these guys to get the notes..
My husband says he sent hard copy of the consent form and there is no email id on which he can follow up on getting the notes. Can anyone help me...I m stuck everywhere. Feel so helpless.

Sama.Karady

Aug 20, 2013
cempjwi said:
The easier way to see it is this. From today, or any day you need to think about your residency obligation to check if you have met it, you need to count the number of days you have been in Canada for the past 5 years. So if today is Dec 31, 2013, you should count the days you have been in Canada as a PR since Jan 1st 2009, because from Jan 1st 2009 to Dec 31st 2013 there are 5yrs. If the number of days you were in Canada total 730 or more then that means you met your residency obligation; otherwise, you didn't.

If you have not been a PR for 5yrs yet, the calculation is done by determining if the number of days that remain from today until the first 5 yrs will total 730 days (if you were to spend them in Canada) in order to know if you will be able to meet the residency obligation. For example, let's say you landed Jan 1st 2013. 5yrs from that day will be Dec 31st 2017. Let's also say that you left Canada on Jan 2nd 2013. You will need to come back to Canada on a date prior to 730 days remaining before Dec 31st 2017 (that is, you need to come back by Jan 1st 2016 - and you must remain physically in Canada until Dec 31st 2017 if you want to meet your residency requirement).

As I said before, after the 5th year as a PR you must only count the last 5 years as a PR and the days you were physically in Canada within that period to meet the residency obligation (must be 730 days). There are a few exceptions, among them, living abroad with a Canadian spouse (which does not seem to be your case) will count towards the residency obligation, even if not physically in Canada (however, that time does not count towards citizenship - only time spent in Canada counts towards citizenship).

Please note that my calculations may be one day off. This is because CIC counts "in-Canada" days only the days you are in Canada and the days you arrive in Canada. Days you leave Canada do not count. For example, if you arrived in Canada on Jan 1st, and left Canada on Jan 3rd, that only counts as 2 days (not 3), because the day you depart Canada does not count as a day in Canada.
Thank you very much =) (Y)

mariyamihsan

Aug 26, 2013
Hello everyone,

i am a Canadian citizen married to a pakistani national. we are done with our sponsor ship application but are having problems with the fee process. since i am living in Pakistan with my husband, i am not sure how to submit the fees. My husband or me don't have a credit card. but can someone else ( residing in the US ) pay our fees.
he , who will be paying , is my husband's brother-in-law. i was wondering if we could have him pay the fees and we pay him instead. and if yes he can , should he write a letter saying that he payed for us and we have payed him in return?
Thankyou.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Hungary said:
Hi :(

I got an answer from Vienna, I sent them an email explaining my case and a question last week what to do. And now I am totally confused and don't know what to do.
CPC M sent me to Vienna, because they are not going on with sponsorship before I submit this TD app.....
And now Vienna sent this:

Dear Ms. *********,

Our office in Vienna has not yet received your application form Case Processing Centre Mississauga. .

You may wish to submit an explanatory letter together with the new Family Class sponsorship application; It is very much likely that you have lost your PR status; Please see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp#lose_status

You will be instructed in the course of the new Family class application process.

Visa Office / Bureau des visas

Canadian Embassy/ Ambassade du Canada

Laurenzerberg 2/ 3

A-1010 Vienna/ Vienne

Austria/Autriche

www.kanada.at
Yes, I can see that this letter would be confusing. It is what I would call a "definite maybe" - which means nothing definitive.

It does not change my previous advice. But if you are really concerned, I would suggest that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

Sweetnesz

Aug 26, 2013
My boyfriend lives in the us and i live in ontario and we've been dating and seeing each other for the last three years and we are planning to get married in January and I want to get him sponsored. How do I do this? does he book a one way? what is the process and how long does it take before he gets his permanent residence? Can he stay while in the process of getting his permanent residence? What are the next steps to getting his citizenship?thank you in advance

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
Sweetnesz said:
My boyfriend lives in the us and i live in ontario and we've been dating and seeing each other for the last three years and we are planning to get married in January and I want to get him sponsored. How do I do this? does he book a one way? what is the process and how long does it take before he gets his permanent residence? Can he stay while in the process of getting his permanent residence? What are the next steps to getting his citizenship?thank you in advance
In the specific case of a person living in the US and the other in Canada, you are able to sponsor your significant other if: 1) You are not married and have been living together continuously for 1yr or 2) you are married.

Once you get married, you both will have to submit an application for sponsorship (the Canadian resident or citizen) and an application for permanent residency (the US citizen) at the same time as one package. You may access the forms and instructions of all required documentation and how to file and pay the fees on the CIC website.

Any person being sponsored (your boyfriend) can come to Canada (as long as they have a visa to visit, a work permit or is visa exempt) while the application is being processed (it is recommended that the person remains in status during the person's stay in Canada).

You may file inland or outland. Inland requires the person to take up residency in Canada and MUST remain in Canada while the application is being processed.

Inland and outland filing comprises two phases. 1) Sponsorship approval (CIC assesses the sponsor in order to determine if he/she can be a sponsor) and 2) PR approval (CIC assesses the entire application).

For US citizens/residents it is not recommended to file inland because generally takes longer to complete, although inland has the advantage of allowing to file for a work permit once the first stage (sponsorship approval) is completed and approved; however, inland sponsorship approval takes much longer than the outland's (inland may be around 6 months while outland about 30days). Outland sponsorship approval does not confer the right to apply for a work permit.

Citizenship is a separate process that your bf/spouse will have to go through in a few years after becoming a PR and it will not depend on you but rather on the requirements to become a citizen. Please note that new immigration regulations (as of Oct 25th 2012) require the sponsored immigrant and the sponsor to live together for 24 months immediately after the sponsored applicant becomes a landed immigrant, otherwise, with a few exceptions, he/she will have his PR status revoked.

I hope this helps.