09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
lumos said:
I don't get what you mean about the rolling five years? I already got my PR Card, does that contribute to anything?
What he means is that there is no wait period to sponsor someone else (as a PR you must be living in Canada to be able to do that; as a citizen of canada you may be in or outside canada to sponsor). Technically, you can sponsor someone the day after you land (not the same day though - this is because of the way CIC counts the days you have lived in Canada as a permanent resident; basically, days on which you leave Canada are counted; however, the day you return - that is, arrive in Canada, does not count. Therefore, the first day you arrive in Canada - when you land - does not count as part of the number of days you have lived in Canada as a permanent resident). However, because CIC will not receive an application until at least the next day, you could send your application the very same day you land.

The 730 days is a separate issue - it relates to the combined number of days that you must have lived in canada within the last 5 yrs to maintain your status as a permanent resident. However, that does not mean that you have to wait for 5yrs to count. For example, if you live more than 3yrs outside of Canada you will probably lose your permanent resident status because there is no way you will be able to accumulate 730 days by the 5yr mark (in fact, you may not even be allowed to enter canada as a PR anymore). There are exceptions to this rule (i.e. if you work for a canadian company abroad or you live abroad with a spouse that is a canadian citizen). However, those days you live abroad under those special conditions, while they count towards your residency status, they do not count towards the number of days you need to apply for citizenship.

lumos

May 9, 2013
cempjwi said:
What he means is that there is no wait period to sponsor someone else (as a PR you must be living in Canada to be able to do that; as a citizen of canada you may be in or outside canada to sponsor). Technically, you can sponsor someone the day after you land (not the same day though - this is because of the way CIC counts the days you have lived in Canada as a permanent resident; basically, days on which you leave Canada are counted; however, the day you return - that is, arrive in Canada, does not count. Therefore, the first day you arrive in Canada - when you land - does not count as part of the number of days you have lived in Canada as a permanent resident). However, because CIC will not receive an application until at least the next day, you could send your application the very same day you land.

The 730 days is a separate issue - it relates to the combined number of days that you must have lived in canada within the last 5 yrs to maintain your status as a permanent resident. However, that does not mean that you have to wait for 5yrs to count. For example, if you live more than 3yrs outside of Canada you will probably lose your permanent resident status because there is no way you will be able to accumulate 730 days by the 5yr mark (in fact, you may not even be allowed to enter canada as a PR anymore). There are exceptions to this rule (i.e. if you work for a canadian company abroad or you live abroad with a spouse that is a canadian citizen). However, those days you live abroad under those special conditions, while they count towards your residency status, they do not count towards the number of days you need to apply for citizenship.
Thank you so much for clearing that out, I understand it now. Thank you very much! I have no issue with keeping my Permanent Resident status, I have no intention of staying outside the country. All I wanted to know was if I could sponsor the moment I become a PR, thanks now I know! :)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
lumos said:
I'm a permanent resident in Canada. Was wondering what if I went back to my country and got married here with my boyfriend (filipino citizen), do I have to wait a period of time and live here with my spouse before I can apply to sponsor my spouse?
Yes - you must be in Canada to sponsor a spouse. Citizens do not have such a requirement, but permanent residents must be in Canada to be eligible to sponsor - at the start of the process and throughout the process. You can visit, but that's it.

So the minimum time would be the time required for you to return to Canada and file the application. But you can file as soon as you get back to Canada.

Good luck!

MORENA75

May 7, 2013
Greece
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello guys,

I am back to ask some more questions - especially to Ivan and CanadianJeepGuy who are SO helpful and insightful! ;D

Tomorrow I am going to a friends house who has a printer lol to start at least organizing (like I said it will be outland, my BF will return to Albania, I will go back "finally" to Canada (I am in Greece).

Here are my questions:

1. I was reading HIS supporting documents needed : it reads " Identity and civil status docs, copies of passport". Since we will supply photocopies or scans - obviously-, do these need to be translated AND certified AND an affidavit?(his personal docs are in albanian)
IF SO - this means he will have them done IN Albania and I wait for him to mail them for me. Correct me if I am wrong ::)

2. The 8 "recent" photos, how long are they valid for? I was hoping we would take them in Greece before we parted ( I THINK somewhere I read they are good for 12mths? ::) ) so I can have those with me already and no MISTAKES will be made if he takes them in Albania.

3. The police reports from Greece and Albania I will have him do them as soon as I am sure we have all of the above and he mails everything to me, right?

***Let me tell you, we booked the medical in Greece next week with one of the 2 designated Doctors here... COST? 225 EUROS
..ouch ???

4. I will assume MY documents (everything I have is either French or English - Canadian born) do NOT have to be certified etc and photocopies or Scans are OK?

5. Last but not least, this is my plan (apart from all above). tomorrow I am going over to a friends who has a printer etc, from what I sort of understand, the application is done ELECTRONICALLY via their forms and WE ALSO print the forms AND SOME barcodes, so this is SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY / then PRINTED and ALSO mailed via Canada Post or Courrier?

Well if someone clears this up for me I can see how my day will work out tomorrow, I plan to, fill forms,PRINT them 2x, to have copies, organize Proof of relationship (photos, chats, mails and draft letters to be notarized from friends/family also) and have all this as a BASE, so when I get back to canada and he has ALL his docs ready, (depending on your confirmations for questions #1 and #2) THEN I do everything electronically, print and mail.

Please correct me if I am wrong etc, I don't see how I can do anything electronically without having all docs ready right? When we do the electronic part, do we also submit Supporting docs (passport pages, Id cards- his and mine SCANNED?) I guess I cannot validate with half the stuff available.. ??? again I am confused, I get the part of filling forms and mailing them, but I am all kookoo about the electronic part.

[size=10pt]Thanks again guys in advance[/size] :-* :-* :-* :-*
Kathy

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
MORENA75 said:
1. I was reading HIS supporting documents needed : it reads " Identity and civil status docs, copies of passport". Since we will supply photocopies or scans - obviously-, do these need to be translated AND certified AND an affidavit?(his personal docs are in albanian)
IF SO - this means he will have them done IN Albania and I wait for him to mail them for me. Correct me if I am wrong ::)
Yes, if the documents are not in French or English, they must be accompanied by a certified translation into one of those two languages. The translation does not need to be done in Albania - the translator can be anywhere. Note that the original documents don't have to be certified unless explicitly required by the country specific rules.

MORENA75 said:
2. The 8 "recent" photos, how long are they valid for? I was hoping we would take them in Greece before we parted ( I THINK somewhere I read they are good for 12mths? ::) ) so I can have those with me already and no MISTAKES will be made if he takes them in Albania.
Six months is the general rule.

MORENA75 said:
3. The police reports from Greece and Albania I will have him do them as soon as I am sure we have all of the above and he mails everything to me, right?

Check to see how long it takes. The police certificates must be received by CIC within 90 days of issuance and then they are valid for one year from when they were issued.

MORENA75 said:
4. I will assume MY documents (everything I have is either French or English - Canadian born) do NOT have to be certified etc and photocopies or Scans are OK?

If the rules say they want an original or a certified copy, then you'd have to send one. But as a general rule the just need copies of your documents because if there is any doubt as to authenticity it's easy for CIC to validate them (after all, they were issued in Canada).

MORENA75 said:
5. Last but not least, this is my plan (apart from all above). tomorrow I am going over to a friends who has a printer etc, from what I sort of understand, the application is done ELECTRONICALLY via their forms and WE ALSO print the forms AND SOME barcodes, so this is SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY / then PRINTED and ALSO mailed via Canada Post or Courrier?

Actually, (unless something has changed very recently and I didn't notice) the entire application is still submitted physically. You fill in some of the forms with a PDF reader tool and "validate" them to generate bar codes and then print them out. CIC will scan those barcodes as the means for data entry into their computer system. Then you order everything in your application according to the checklist and send the entire thing to CPC-M. I'd strongly suggest using a courier so that you get an actual signature they received it (sorry, I've had CIC lose too many things over the years, I don't trust them.)

MORENA75 said:
Well if someone clears this up for me I can see how my day will work out tomorrow, I plan to, fill forms,PRINT them 2x, to have copies, organize Proof of relationship (photos, chats, mails and draft letters to be notarized from friends/family also) and have all this as a BASE, so when I get back to canada and he has ALL his docs ready, (depending on your confirmations for questions #1 and #2) THEN I do everything electronically, print and mail.
While others may disagree, I don't think it is necessary to get letters notarized - notarization merely attests that the person signing them is the person you say. I'd be rather surprised if CIC seriously questioned something that fundamental. Better to just provide contact information in case they wish to validate that the letters are genuine.

MORENA75 said:
Please correct me if I am wrong etc, I don't see how I can do anything electronically without having all docs ready right? When we do the electronic part, do we also submit Supporting docs (passport pages, Id cards- his and mine SCANNED?) I guess I cannot validate with half the stuff available.. ??? again I am confused, I get the part of filling forms and mailing them, but I am all kookoo about the electronic part.
This is a big organizational job actually. I know how I did it - I took a big 6" 3 ring binder with tab dividers and sheet protectors. I organized every single document into it in the order specified in the checklist. This made it easy to add things, move them around, review them, etc. When the whole thing was done, it was easy to pull out the documents, make a final scan of everything (so I had copies) and send it all to CPC-M.

sam2013

Feb 1, 2013
Hi guys,
Could some one please tell me, after the "DECISION MADE" is updated in cic website how long does it take to get the passport back. Maximum allowed time............
they changed the "In process" to "Decision Made" in March 25, 2013....... but still i've not received any email or passport
Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
Sam

evanbigfan

Star Member
Apr 10, 2013
Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa 21 january then Amman 20 june
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-dec-2012
AOR Received.
18 january 2013
File Transfer...
21-january-2013 (in process March 7 2013) then sent to Amman office June 20 2013
Med's Request
Sent with application
Med's Done....
30-sep-2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
17 July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
31 July 2013
LANDED..........
07 August 2013
sam2013 said:
Hi guys,
Could some one please tell me, after the "DECISION MADE" is updated in cic website how long does it take to get the passport back. Maximum allowed time............
they changed the "In process" to "Decision Made" in March 25, 2013....... but still i've not received any email or passport
Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
Sam
as am reading people say the max is 2 months after u send ur passport,when did u sent it exactly ?

MORENA75

May 7, 2013
Greece
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello CompGeek & THANK YOU! ;D very much :-*

Ok, His supporting documents (being Albanian) Passport pages copies, ID card, Birth Cert I guess. I read somewhere if you provide photocopies they gotta be certified, obvioulsy his passport wont be mailed in with the application,neither his ID card, which means...those have to be translated AND certified?

Then on HIS guide as I am reading the checklist now ( WEST EUROPE: Guide for Albania, part 3: Country specific instructions at the very beginning it says this:

"Assemble all your documents as listed. Check (;) each applicable item on the list and attach the list to your
documents (a paper clip will do). Send originals of the immigration forms (items 1 to 5 below) and police certificates. Send photocopies of all other documents, unless instructed otherwise. Do not send your
documents in transparency pockets, binders or folders. If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals. "

Then,,,,

#7 - IDENTITY AND CIVIL STATUS DOCUMENTS
Provide national identity cards, birth certificates, baptismal certificates or other official document
confirming relationship for you and each of your family members.
His ID (plastic card) has to be translated and certified? the birth certificate OK we can translate it in Greece BEFORE we part if time allows it ( we leave May 20th each to his country)
If you are married, you must include a marriage certificate. If you are now divorced, you must
include final divorce certificates; if separated, a separation certificate. If your marriage was annuled,
include a copy of the annulment. If your former spouse or common-law partner is deceased, you
must include your spouse’s or partner’s death certificate
. Photocopy of Citizenship Certificate or
Immigrant or Permanent Resident Visa for any family members who are Canadian citizens or
permanent residents of Canada.
<--- thats means a photocopy of MY birth cert. added to his package as well?
If you are in a common-law or conjugal relationship, provide proof of that relationship OK we have plenty!

And I know this is way down the line, when and if everything gets approved and OK, he has to send his passport to the Visa office so they can stamp it so he can come to Canada? does he not receive a PR document?(does he or do i in Canada, confused... :-X)

[size=10pt][size=10pt]THANK YOU![/size][/size]
Kathy

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
MORENA75 said:
Ok, His supporting documents (being Albanian) Passport pages copies, ID card, Birth Cert I guess. I read somewhere if you provide photocopies they gotta be certified, obvioulsy his passport wont be mailed in with the application,neither his ID card, which means...those have to be translated AND certified?
In the main rules there's nothing that needs to be certified (or original) as far as I recall EXCEPT police certificates. This can be modified by the region specific rules, of course (and are in some cases).

MORENA75 said:
"Assemble all your documents as listed. Check (;) each applicable item on the list and attach the list to your
documents (a paper clip will do). Send originals of the immigration forms (items 1 to 5 below) and police certificates. Send photocopies of all other documents, unless instructed otherwise. Do not send your
documents in transparency pockets, binders or folders. If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals. "
Right, so it's just copies. The only thing that needs to be certified are the translations - and the original police certificates.

MORENA75 said:
#7 - IDENTITY AND CIVIL STATUS DOCUMENTS
Provide national identity cards, birth certificates, baptismal certificates or other official document
confirming relationship for you and each of your family members.
His ID (plastic card) has to be translated and certified? the birth certificate OK we can translate it in Greece BEFORE we part if time allows it ( we leave May 20th each to his country)
If you are married, you must include a marriage certificate. If you are now divorced, you must
include final divorce certificates; if separated, a separation certificate. If your marriage was annuled,
include a copy of the annulment. If your former spouse or common-law partner is deceased, you
must include your spouse's or partner's death certificate
. Photocopy of Citizenship Certificate or
Immigrant or Permanent Resident Visa for any family members who are Canadian citizens or
permanent residents of Canada.
<--- thats means a photocopy of MY birth cert. added to his package as well?
If you are in a common-law or conjugal relationship, provide proof of that relationship OK we have plenty!
Only copies are required, again - except the translations which must be certified (by the translator). I'm a bit surprised they don't list "passport" in the list for you, but since you are already including evidence of your status in Canada that should be sufficient.

MORENA75 said:
And I know this is way down the line, when and if everything gets approved and OK, he has to send his passport to the Visa office so they can stamp it so he can come to Canada? does he not receive a PR document?(does he or do i in Canada, confused... :-X)
When. Not if.

When they ask for his passport, they will add a "counterfoil" (one use travel visa) and send him the "Confirmation of Permanent Residency" (COPR). When he travels to Canada, he must enter via a port of entry with immigration services (e.g, an international airport or one of dozens of land border crossings) and they will complete his transformation from "foreign national" to "permanent resident" - they go over the COPR with him, he signs it, they stamp it and give him one copy back (keeping the other) and then they send the other copy to Sydney NS. A few months later he gets a plastic card - the "PR Card" that shows he is a permanent resident of Canada (even without the card he is, but the card is what everyone except CBSA wants to prove that this is the case.)

Good luck!

jaimevetero

Oct 24, 2012
Santiago, Chile
Category........
Visa Office......
Santiago
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2nd, 2012
Doc's Request.
July 9th, 2012
AOR Received.
Aug 3rd, 2012
File Transfer...
Aug 16th, 2012
Med's Request
July 9th, 2012
Med's Done....
July 27th, 2012
Interview........
March 26th, 2013
Passport Req..
March 26th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 16th, 2013
LANDED..........
May 2nd, 2013
Hi all! I Just forgot to tell you that im already in Canada! I landed on the 2nd of this month. And everything went smooth. Finally all this process is done. And now i find myself waiting to start at work, which is in two weeks:) i hope everything works well for you guys! :) and thank u for the help i got on this website!

pritha

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2013
AOR Received.
31-07-2013
File Transfer...
11-03-2014
Med's Request
Sent with App
Med's Done....
14-06-2013
Interview........
11-06-2014
Passport Req..
waived
LANDED..........
11-06-2014
computergeek said:
Pay the fees, include a copy of the receipt. Explain that you are awaiting a copy of the marriage certificate before you can submit the PR application.

I've read at least one case where someone used a copy of the executed marriage licence (the copy that is sent in to the provincial authorities to record) and CIC accepted that. So, you could also try that approach and offer to send in a copy of the certificate when you receive it. That will likely slow down processing but it gets your application in queue in time to obtain implied status.
Hi ComputerGeek, thanks for answering my question before regarding the Marriage Certificate. So, i finally got married and i get the Record of Marriage from the Wedding Chambers at City Hall, could i use the copy of that record to apply PR and explain to them in separate paper that we're still waiting for the Certificate or could we ask the wedding chambers at city hall a copy of the executed marriage license?

Second thing, should i attach Appendix A (request for Police Certificate) and B (request for fingerprint) as mentioned in IMM 5289 (Guideline) in the Application since i already have the Police Certificate and Fingerprint from my home country Police Department ?

The last thing, my husband already filed his taxes through his accountant, and they already send it to the CRA, but my husband has not received any respond from them yet so we still could not request the Option C Printout, even my husband's accountant know nothing about Option C Printout, how does this thing work actually?

thanks in advance.
P

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
pritha said:
Hi ComputerGeek, thanks for answering my question before regarding the Marriage Certificate. So, i finally got married and i get the Record of Marriage from the Wedding Chambers at City Hall, could i use the copy of that record to apply PR and explain to them in separate paper that we're still waiting for the Certificate or could we ask the wedding chambers at city hall a copy of the executed marriage license?
You can certainly try that approach - it's not guaranteed to work, but as I mentioned before I've read others say that this approach worked for them.

pritha said:
Second thing, should i attach Appendix A (request for Police Certificate) and B (request for fingerprint) as mentioned in IMM 5289 (Guideline) in the Application since i already have the Police Certificate and Fingerprint from my home country Police Department ?
I would think that if you have the PCC then you would not need to send in a request for one to CIC.

pritha said:
The last thing, my husband already filed his taxes through his accountant, and they already send it to the CRA, but my husband has not received any respond from them yet so we still could not request the Option C Printout, even my husband's accountant know nothing about Option C Printout, how does this thing work actually?
Option C is similar to the Notice of (Re)assessment. If the 2012 Option 'C' printout is not available, have them send the 2011 version and submit that instead. Realize that for your specific situation it's not a major issue (unlike some other sponsorship classes) but if you are concerned, submit a copy of his T2 for 2012 as well... I'd be rather surprised if they had any issues.

Iepi

Jan 18, 2013
Application received

Hi, on January 2013 cic in mississauga received my husband´s application to sponsor me and my son (me and my son we live in Perú).
February 2013 cic already had a decision made and sent to my husband a notification saying that they will send my application to Lima, Peru so it can be checked! already may and nothing changed since then, wonder how long do we have to wait for the status to change to IN PROCESS....

Medical was taken prior submiting my application and seems that they had received it already too, that it´s what it says in my status..

Anybody knows how long it is gonna take?

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; &quot;In Process&quot; 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Re: Application received

Iepi said:
Hi, on January 2013 cic in mississauga received my husband´s application to sponsor me and my son (me and my son we live in Perú).
February 2013 cic already had a decision made and sent to my husband a notification saying that they will send my application to Lima, Peru so it can be checked! already may and nothing changed since then, wonder how long do we have to wait for the status to change to IN PROCESS....

Medical was taken prior submiting my application and seems that they had received it already too, that it´s what it says in my status..

Anybody knows how long it is gonna take?
16 months as per the CIC website. To get a much more accurate timeline look for the thread for applicants going through Lima as their Visa office (VO).