+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Tinytinny16

Jan 12, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi another question. If i applied, granting that is 12 month cohabitation already, can i also apply for an open work permit together with my sponsorship from my common law partner?

Ambber29

Star Member
Jul 28, 2011
Hi all,

Just pasting my questions again in this forum to get more opinions. Can Seniors reply?

We applied through Buffalo in August 2011. It was transferred to Buffalo on Nov.01/2012.
Our interview was scheduled for June.19 and Buffalo office closed.

Our MP inquired in Sep 2012, the file did n't move and again she inquired and they are not sure whether to interview him in USA office or Ottawa. I doubt it will be in Ottawa. I have been living in Canada since I applied. I have been visiting him every two and an half months to three months. It is been two years for my marriage and I dont think I can do this anymore. So I am deciding to go to him and live with him.

Lets say that we receive a letter in a month or two months (I doubt it I think it can be longer). Our MP said that they will give the date atleast three to four months prior. Can they ask me about my job? I have to leave everything behind. Also I am staying with my mom but she is in Canada just because I am here. She might move with my other siblings in different country? Does she have to remain in Canada to proof the tie and intent to come back?

Can they object? even if i worked here one and an half year.

Can you please advise?

I have also another question. What If i plan a baby in states? Do I have to apply for her separately? BTW I am Canadian Citizen.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Ambber29 said:
Hi all,

Just pasting my questions again in this forum to get more opinions. Can Seniors reply?

We applied through Buffalo in August 2011. It was transferred to Buffalo on Nov.01/2012.
Our interview was scheduled for June.19 and Buffalo office closed.

Our MP inquired in Sep 2012, the file did n't move and again she inquired and they are not sure whether to interview him in USA office or Ottawa. I doubt it will be in Ottawa. I have been living in Canada since I applied. I have been visiting him every two and an half months to three months. It is been two years for my marriage and I dont think I can do this anymore. So I am deciding to go to him and live with him.

Lets say that we receive a letter in a month or two months (I doubt it I think it can be longer). Our MP said that they will give the date atleast three to four months prior. Can they ask me about my job? I have to leave everything behind. Also I am staying with my mom but she is in Canada just because I am here. She might move with my other siblings in different country? Does she have to remain in Canada to proof the tie and intent to come back?

Can they object? even if i worked here one and an half year.

Can you please advise?

I have also another question. What If i plan a baby in states? Do I have to apply for her separately? BTW I am Canadian Citizen.
Are you applying for your mom or your husband?

And if you have a baby in the states, it's Canadian, but be advised, it costs A LOT to have a baby in the US.

Ambber29

Star Member
Jul 28, 2011
I am sponsoring my husband but if my mom moves out of Canada I dont have any other relatives ( not immediate ofcourse I have cousins). She is my good tie to Canada.

How much does it cost to have a baby?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Ambber29 said:
How much does it cost to have a baby?
In the US the cost would be insurance premiums and co-payments for the period of the pregnancy. The rules in the US do not allow insurance companies to refuse coverage due to pre-existing conditions such as pregnancy, though that may be subject to some status restriction as I've not researched that. If your partner/spouse has coverage in the US you may be eligible under that coverage as well, which would decrease the cost. Otherwise, figure $6000 for a year of insurance for someone young, with moderate co-pays.

It's actually better than what happens in Ontario, where many PR applicants find they are entirely responsible for their health insurance bills, including the cost of any complications, while they await the PR process.

BLUESLIDE

Jan 12, 2013
My husband is Canadian citizen and he did inland sponsorship for me.We have two Canadian born children. Previously, I have been given removal order. AOR date is 31 Oct 2012.

If some one can answer my question, will cic process my application and allow me AIP status as I was previously given exclusion order.

thanks

Tashannon

Star Member
Jan 13, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2012
Doc's Request.
14-11-2012
Med's Done....
10-10-2012
Hello, short history.....me and my husband have been married for a yr and 2 months now. We have a 2 yr old and having a baby next month as well. He spent most his time on visitors status here in Canada (he's a green card holder of the United States). October 2012 we decided to get a lawyer and file his papers however he went to North Carolina to get the police certificate that is required and when he tried crossing the boarder in Niagra falls they only gave him a week to stay in canada (they assume he is working here). So he brought the papers to my lawyer and he had to leave so now he is in the US and I sent off the paper works November 14th....they approve me to sponsor him and said his pr application has been sent to Ottawa.

My questions are:
Can he try coming back to Canada now with this letter showing I have been approved to sponsor him?

How much longer before he gets his pr?

I am due to have baby in a few weeks and I can't do this alone I need my husband here with me to manage college, work and 2 kids.

I also ensured I included a doctors note with the application stating my due date for this pregnancy.

s.hamid.d

Aug 29, 2011
Hi All,

I would really appreciate some help as I'm a newbie to this topic.

I'm in the process of getting my PR through the provincial nominee program. and have done my medical exams 2 days ago.
I'm also in the process of getting married.

The processing times of spousal sponsorship look too much to me (something around 12-16 months :eek:)

I was wondering if it would be better for me to get married before getting my PR and adding my wife to my application?!??!
My main question is which how much would this affect my PR application, time wise? for example if I'm to get my PR in 6 months, then how much longer would it take if I'd gotten married and added my wife to my application?

any suggestions or thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
s.hamid.d said:
Hi All,

I would really appreciate some help as I'm a newbie to this topic.

I'm in the process of getting my PR through the provincial nominee program. and have done my medical exams 2 days ago.
I'm also in the process of getting married.

The processing times of spousal sponsorship look too much to me (something around 12-16 months :eek:)

I was wondering if it would be better for me to get married before getting my PR and adding my wife to my application?!??!
My main question is which how much would this affect my PR application, time wise? for example if I'm to get my PR in 6 months, then how much longer would it take if I'd gotten married and added my wife to my application?

any suggestions or thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Since you have already done your medicals, it will extend the process by several months as the VO will need to request your wife's medicals as well. Still, it's definitely faster than adding a sponsorship to your application after the fact.

Don't forget that even if you are just living together, under Canadian law she becomes your common-law partner after a year of cohabitation. If she qualifies as common law partner OR spouse and you fail to declare her, you will not be able to sponsor her as she is excluded as a member of the family class as a matter of law.

confusedCHICK

Jan 13, 2013
I am new to this channel and found this out because I'm searching some answers on my current situation. I am in a very bad predicament right now, and here's the run down on how it came about.

My partner and I met online almost 5 years ago, he is a naturalized American citizen from Philippines. During our relationship, he's visited me here in Canada multiple times a year, and I have also visited him in the US several times in the duration of the relationship. Last year we got married, and we've decided I would sponsor him. Now that we had gotten married and about to file the sponsorship, I found out he was previously married. He got married in the Philippines more than a decade ago when he was still hold a green card. When he got his citizenship, he indicated his status as married. Their marriage was not successful. When he returned to the US, things fell apart and that was it. He did not attempt to file papers for the wife to go to the US, nor have had any communication with her for more than a decade.

I know this is a serious problem. What can we do so that I can file for his sponsorship. We were able to get married here in Canada, is this mean that it is null and void?

Thanks for any input.

qtazngal

Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 February 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-08-2012
Med's Done....
05 January 2012
Interview........
Waived
confusedCHICK said:
I am new to this channel and found this out because I'm searching some answers on my current situation. I am in a very bad predicament right now, and here's the run down on how it came about.

My partner and I met online almost 5 years ago, he is a naturalized American citizen from Philippines. During our relationship, he's visited me here in Canada multiple times a year, and I have also visited him in the US several times in the duration of the relationship. Last year we got married, and we've decided I would sponsor him. Now that we had gotten married and about to file the sponsorship, I found out he was previously married. He got married in the Philippines more than a decade ago when he was still hold a green card. When he got his citizenship, he indicated his status as married. Their marriage was not successful. When he returned to the US, things fell apart and that was it. He did not attempt to file papers for the wife to go to the US, nor have had any communication with her for more than a decade.

I know this is a serious problem. What can we do so that I can file for his sponsorship. We were able to get married here in Canada, is this mean that it is null and void?

Thanks for any input.
Hi Confusedchick

I am no lawyer or claim to know anything about immigration law but I can only give you examples on what I know based on some of the knowledge that friends from England that used to live in the Philippines who has the nearly the same problem as you.

Some of them are still married in the Philppines that did not or not working out but now have partners in England who they wish to marry. Unfortunately they cannot get marry unless they get an annulment in the Philippines as they have no divorce.

I suggest to be on the safe side, maybe ask him to find his ex and get an annulment first before sponsoring him. Now your marriage null or void - I cannot say coz I dont know. You might have to ask a proper lawyer on this one.

Sorry but I can only give you this info based on friends. Hopefully in this forum somebody got a better answer/s for you than me.
Take care and good luck

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
confusedCHICK said:

Thanks for any input.
The Philippines does not allow divorce. If your partner's marriage in the Philippines was never granted an annulment he is still legaly married, even in Canada, to that other person. CIC know that about the Philippines so if you applied for sponsorship they will eventually asked for documentation about his previous separation, which you cannot produce. His marriage to you is technically invalid for sponsorship, although you can apply as conjugal partners, as defined by CIC as follows:

Conjugal partner

This category is for partners—either of the opposite sex or same sex—in exceptional circumstances beyond their control that prevent them from qualifying as common-law partners or spouses by living together.

You may apply as a conjugal partner if:
•you have maintained a conjugal relationship with your sponsor for at least one year and you have been prevented from living together or marrying because of:
◦an immigration barrier
◦your marital status (for example, you are married to someone else and living in a country where divorce is not possible) or
◦your sexual orientation (for example, you are in a same-sex relationship and same-sex marriage is not permitted where you live)

•you can provide evidence there was a reason you could not live together (for example, you were refused long-term stays in each other’s country).

Conjugal partner sponsorships are hard to get approved, as i have heard.

He could also try to obtain an annulment in the Philippines, but the chances could be slim or might take a while to get it done. In regards to your current marriage, you need to consult a civil lawyer to work around that issue because either your marriage is null and void or not valid until his previous marriage is annuled, but that only a lawyer will know.

bbccanada

Jul 19, 2012
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
05-01-2017
Doc's Request.
none
AOR Received.
18-01-2017
File Transfer...
20-01-2017 in process Accra 02-02-2017
Med's Request
upfront
Interview........
No interview
Passport Req..
21-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2017
Hello everyone, my ecas has changed into in process for the first time since my wife attended an interview in visa office outside Canada on November 28th 2012. They said they started processing on January 10th 2013. Could someone tell me the meaning of that and how long would it take to hear from them again. Thanks in advance.....

Tinytinny16

Jan 12, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone, in relevance to my questions which has been answered by Leon. What are the forms i need to fill up with which is appropriate for my situation? Thank u so much... Just need your help...

Tinytinny16

Jan 12, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
1) Yes, he can sponsor you even though you are out of status, however, he can't sponsor you until you have lived together as a couple for at least 1 year or you get married.

2) Divorce doesn't matter but you need to have lived together as a couple for at least one year.

3) There is no faster and sure way. If you apply inland, you need to be living in Canada so in case you get order to leave in the meantime you would lose your application. However, immigration usually doesn't deport spouses who have applied inland. Outland, it would not matter if you were told to leave because your application would continue to get processed but depending on what country you are from, it could take a while.