+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

s.hamid.d

Aug 29, 2011
computergeek said:
Since you have already done your medicals, it will extend the process by several months as the VO will need to request your wife's medicals as well. Still, it's definitely faster than adding a sponsorship to your application after the fact.

Don't forget that even if you are just living together, under Canadian law she becomes your common-law partner after a year of cohabitation. If she qualifies as common law partner OR spouse and you fail to declare her, you will not be able to sponsor her as she is excluded as a member of the family class as a matter of law.
Thanks computergeek for your reply.

how long do you mean by several months? I'm assuming something between 6-8 months?

Also we are not living together I live in Canada but she is not living here.
My main concern is which way is the fastest that I can bring her here to Canada?
But we are serious about getting married.
so if getting married and adding her to my application (before I get my PR) makes it possible for us to be together in Canada earlier, then I think that's the way I would take.

pumpkinhead

Jan 14, 2013
Hey All, this is very informative and i'm happy to join this forum, however, my wife is sponsoring me in-canada class, the application was sent in from december 2011, we have got 2 correspondent from CIC, the last was in august with we replied and sent the document they had requested 3 days after via express mail, now it jan 2013 and we have not heard nothing, we checked the website very frequently and all it say is "in process" i know there isnt any backlog, well i hope but it's over a year and nothing, anyone may have an idea what is taking them this long? the anticipation is killing us but i would love to plan our family, kids and all but we refuse unless i start working etc... need your expert advise plsssssssssssss...

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
pumpkinhead said:
Hey All, this is very informative and i'm happy to join this forum, however, my wife is sponsoring me in-canada class, the application was sent in from december 2011, we have got 2 correspondent from CIC, the last was in august with we replied and sent the document they had requested 3 days after via express mail, now it jan 2013 and we have not heard nothing, we checked the website very frequently and all it say is "in process" i know there isnt any backlog, well i hope but it's over a year and nothing, anyone may have an idea what is taking them this long? the anticipation is killing us but i would love to plan our family, kids and all but we refuse unless i start working etc... need your expert advise plsssssssssssss...
Have you requested your electronic notes? If not, I would suggest that you do so as that would tell you the status of your application.

Also, you don't mention if you are still waiting for AIP, though I suspect that is the case from what you've said. It's not unreasonable at this point to escalate things:

- Send a case specific enquiry to CPC-V
- Ask your sponsor to contact your local MP and have them enquire as to the status.

13 months for AIP is a long wait, given the current time is 6 months - heck, it's been almost six months since you submitted the additional information.

Mrs.

Star Member
Nov 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 18 2012
AOR Received.
Nov 8 2012
File Transfer...
Nov 9 2012
Med's Done....
July 19 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan 28 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 5 2013
LANDED..........
June 19 2013
bbccanada said:
Hello everyone, my ecas has changed into in process for the first time since my wife attended an interview in visa office outside Canada on November 28th 2012. They said they started processing on January 10th 2013. Could someone tell me the meaning of that and how long would it take to hear from them again. Thanks in advance.....
I read somewhere on this thread that this is likely a good sign. Hopefully someone who has more experience can add to this.

Keep the faith :)

Dsoursos

Jan 14, 2013
Hi everyone!!
I'm Canadian living in Greece, my wife is French living with me in Greece and we have a 15 month daughter who I applied for citizenship yesterday. We are planning to move to montreal.

We have decided to go with the outbound procedure.
After quite some research I'm a bit confused on some issues..

1. On the sponsor form it requests to state CSQ number or date application was sent.. But as I read that comes at a later stage, after I send my sponsor application..

2. Sponsorship evaluation IMM 5481, states if you reside in quebec you shouldn't complete form, and attach Canadian tax year along with C. I do not have such documents as I lived in Greece...

3. Do I make an application for my child as well, I have already started canadian citizenship papers? Does she count as a dependant child?

4. On the check sheet it says if your a quebec resident skip supporting documents 17-20... Does that also apply if your plans are to move to quebec??

I'm seriously confused..
If someone can list out the proper steps that need to be taken to apply outbound for sponsorship to quebec I would really be thankfull..

Cheers and wishing you all quick PR cards!!!

Dimitri.

blondie1216

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2012 received 26-03-2012
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012
Med's Done....
11-25-2011 extension requested from IO 11-20-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
December 27th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
January 14th, 2013 Decision Made!
LANDED..........
In a minute!
Good afternoon, Have a question on landing.

If my hubby lands today and then goes back after a week or so to clear up loose ends and so forth, how long can he be out of the country without it affecting his PR?

Anyone knows an estimated time or had any experience with this?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
blondie1216 said:
Good afternoon, Have a question on landing.

If my hubby lands today and then goes back after a week or so to clear up loose ends and so forth, how long can he be out of the country without it affecting his PR?

Anyone knows an estimated time or had any experience with this?
1095 days. Anything more than that and he won't meet the residency obligation (unless you're a Canadian Citizen and with him).

blondie1216

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
December 27th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
In a minute!
computergeek said:
1095 days. Anything more than that and he won't meet the residency obligation (unless you're a Canadian Citizen and with him).
Wow so he can be gone for three months and come back when his pr card arrives. I am correct in this thinking right?

blondie1216

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
December 27th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
In a minute!
By the way, thank you very much for your help! I just want to do anything to hurt his pr since this was such a long process!

reznik

Aug 30, 2012
hi everyone,

i recently got married in Argentina to my wife who is argentine.. [ i am canadian]
we are applying for the spousal sponsorship and have a couple of questions.

1] medical exam - we've read and heard different things about the medical exam that she needs to have done for the application. on the checklists of course it says that it is required with the application but after speaking to two of the designated doctors in BUENOS AIRES, my wife was told that it's better for us to apply first and then do the medical exam. Also the forms seem to have changed? can you please let me know what we have to do, we're really confused and I've been trying to call the CIC call centre but the number doesn't seem to work.

2] police certificate - in argentina, it is emailed to the person with security codes and passwords in order for them to print it. is this suffice for the application? also she had one done in Aug, 29, 2012, and we will be sending the sponsorship application in in the next week or 2. should she get a new certificate? is there a date limit on that? we couldn't find any information.

3] we are applying from OUTSIDE canada because she is in Buenos Aires still, but she's planning on coming to canada in the end of February. We are aware that she will have to go back to buenos aires at some point for the passport and all [once approved hopefully]. but will anything be sent to her address in Buenos Aires in regards to the application? or will everything be sent to my email? because if so, we need to have someone check her mail back in Argentina while she's here.

4] i'm currently in my last semester of university [Master of architecture], and don't have much income, except the little I make as a teaching assistant at school. and my Option-C Printout which is on its way wont have much income on there. Do you think this will be an issue for the sponsorship? we are including information about her assets [apartment ownership in buenos aires] to show some asset because i don't have much money since I've been a student for the past 10 years!

I think that's all for now. We're putting our application together ourselves, any advice, or comments, to-do's, not-to-do's are really appreciated. we're sending many photos and chats and facebook messages and wedding photos and invitations and all, so in terms of proving that we're genuine, i don't think we'll have any issues.

thank you in advance for your advice and suggestions.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
blondie1216 said:
Wow so he can be gone for three months and come back when his pr card arrives. I am correct in this thinking right?
Absolutely. 90 days is much less than 3 years (1095 days).

Note that if he is not visa exempt he will need that PR card OR a PRTD to return. If he's going to be gone for 90 days, he should be able to apply for the PRTD and get it in plenty of time to travel without needing the PR card.

Spikey92

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2013
AOR Received.
15-05-2013
Med's Done....
16-04-2013
LANDED..........
12-03-2014
I´m glad that I found this website and I hope you can answer some of my questions. I, beforehand, appologize if this message gets a little bit long. My situation is the following : I´m a 20 years old German citizen and I´ve been in a relationship with a Canadian citizen since October 2011.I´ve spent 6 months as Tourist here in Canada,went back to Germany for 3 months and returned in May 2012 with a working Holiday visa(valid for 1 year).We´ve been living together since then,sharing bank accounts,cars etc & we´re going to apply for my permanent residence via the sponsor family class. Now my working Holiday visa expires May 1st 2013. The application must be sent not before this date, because we have to show proofs of a at least 1 year long serious relationship(we´ve been dating for longer but only living together since May 1st 2012). I was thinking about changing my status into visitor before my working visa expires, but 1. question : Am I still eligable to send the app!
lication if I´m currently only in Canada with a visitor status? Question 2 : Do I have to change my status anyway ? This information was given to me : " If a spouse or common-law partner is sponsored from inside Canada, they can apply for an open work permit by completing an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker (IMM 5553). This application must be sent before their status expires in the same envelope as the sponsorship application. This will allow them to keep a legal status in Canada up until the time their application for permanent residence is *approved in principle.

If their status expires before the application for permanent residence is approved in principle, they will still have a legal status in Canada. This is called implied status."

Does this mean I can send the application in April & then stay in Canada with a implied status until my application has been processed?

Thank you so much in advance!

tamarindball

Sep 10, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston
App. Filed.......
November 30, 2012
AOR Received.
December 11, 2012
File Transfer...
January 9, 2013
Med's Done....
November 13, 2012
Yes once you're applying inland you would have implied status so you can legally remain in Canada until the PR process is complete

pumpkinhead

Jan 14, 2013
thanks for your help and advised but however we call CIC today and the process is still pending and status which they told us is "in process" and there is nothing they can do until CIC update our file. we honestly never knew that it would have been so long in-canada class, my wife is dying for process to be over so i can start working but we are still being patient before contacting our MP to see whats going on especially to find out there is no backlog. 13months and still climbing eheheheheh :'( keeping hope alive...

Popo012

Star Member
Sep 30, 2012
Computergeek

Hey,I would like to ask you a question:
I received my health card in Quebec,for the expired date they put 2013/12.I think they gave me a just a temporary health card because Im not PR yet.On my wife's card it said 2016.I would like to know when I become a PR,do I have to apply for a new one when this one is expired and now it might have a long expiration date?

My question might sounds weird to you :) but I just would like to know.

Thank you