04/10/2012
Med's Done....
completed 03/04/13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
22/05/13 (received 05/06/13, ECAS 29/05/13)
LANDED..........
08/06/13
IMM 5490: Question 14. Was there a formal ceremony to recognize/celebrate the engagement?

What do they mean by formal ceremony for engagement?
At first I thought to answer yes, because we announced our engagement to family and friends. However, it was in a casual way (we announces when we had a family and friends get to together).

Now I have second thoughts, because what do they mean by "formal"?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
maggie465 said:
IMM 5490: Question 14. Was there a formal ceremony to recognize/celebrate the engagement?

What do they mean by formal ceremony for engagement?
At first I thought to answer yes, because we announced our engagement to family and friends. However, it was in a casual way (we announces when we had a family and friends get to together).

Now I have second thoughts, because what do they mean by "formal"?
Did you have a buck and doe, stag and doe, bachelor/bachelorette party? If so, then yes. If not, then no.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
laurelle said:
I am a Canadian citizen and my American fiance is living with me here in British Columbia. He is here on a six month vistor visa. I hae been living in Washington State for the last 9 and 1/2 years and we just moved to B.C. March 31, 2012. I have just started my own business here and do not have Income Tax to show for the last almost 10 years. Is this going to be a problem when it comes to sponsoring my fiance? How do I go about applying for an exstention on his visitor visa? He would love to be able to work with me at my business but that goes against all the rules!!! Any help would be appreicated.
Nothing prohibits you from allowing him to work in your business. It's a grey area, but as long as he isn't displacing a worker nobody will say or do anything about it. With that said, you can always offer him a job - that's perfectly acceptable. IF he qualifies under NAFTA you don't need an LMO. If not, you need to obtain an LMO (basically, you have to show that nobody in Canada wants the job right now and he has the skills necessary to perform the job.) With an LMO (or if NAFTA exempt) he just shows up at the border with his offer letter, evidence of qualifications, application for a new work permit, two pictures and $150 and they hand him his work permit, good for up to three years.

LMO's are not terribly difficult to obtain, but they are all about paperwork, so if you aren't comfortable with strange bureaucratic processes then it's probably not a good idea to pursue. Otherwise, you write a job requirements document for which he's ideally qualified. The wage you agree to pay must meet the HRSDC determined "normal" value for the position and you have to advertise the job (usually in specific locations) and if nobody else qualified applies for the position, you have made your case to HRSDC that you need him to fill the position.

http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/nafta-alena/tool-outil/before-avant/us-eu/index.aspx?lang=en&view=d#Pro describes the NAFTA categories - it's quite broad, so you may find some category in which he would qualify.

Elpit

Jul 7, 2012
Greetings,
My husband and I are in Canada. We have completed these forms to sponsor me inland. He is Canadian. I am from Russia. We moved to Canada a few weeks ago. We are married for 8 years. We both have worked abroad for all this years. Our package doesn't look so big, although I think we have all documents required. I would appreciate, if you take a look at our set and clear some questions for me:

As I understand, all documents have to go to Vegreville,Alberta, right?
- one checklist (where my part and his part checked, should we send one checklist for the whole package?)
- IMM 1344 ( completed by my husband, but signed by both, only sponsor has to fill out this form? should we send an original? Guide 5289 says: "Must be completed by the sponsor and his or her spouse or common-law partner", but as I understand it was the case when it was two forms 1334A and 1334B)
-IMM 5481 (completed by my husband)
-IMM 0008 (completed by me)
-IMM 5406 (completed by me)
-IMM 5669 (completed by me)
-IMM 5285 (completed by me)
- one copy of his passport
- one copy of marriage certificate
- one copy of my passport and visa
- one copy of my birth certificate
- original police certificate
-medical examination ( only I have to do it, right? did all except an X-ray due to pregnancy, read a lot that people got the package back due to not all documents are included, decided to take a risk and did only some part, but checked our checklist, in case if some part time student goes through my file)
- proof of common-law relationship ( one copy of lease, joint bank, photos and etc.)
- 2 photos of me
-proof of income
- processing fee
I am going to put all documents in the same envelope with the document's check list on top. As I understand there is a lot of confusion if documents in separate envelops. A big thank you for help!

BafuWafu

Nov 24, 2011
Please i need an expert to help me i dont know what to do anymore im so sad and depress over this application i already sent our family sponsorship application since january and by then i always pray that there will be no problem not until this friday evening when i check our mailbox i got a letter form embassy and this is what it says.

Date: June 23, 2012

This is with respect to your application for permanent resident visa as a member of the family class, the class in which you applied.

A preliminary review of your file, based on the information and documentation you have submitted to date, raises concerns that you may not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.

Subsection 12(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that the foreign national may be selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common law-law partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

Paragraph 117(9)(d) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations establishes the circumstances under which a person may be excluded from the family Class, notwithstanding their personal relationship to their sponsor. Specially, the Regulation state:

117(9)(d) A foreign national shall not be considered a member of a family class by virtue of their relationship to a sponsor if, subject to subsection (10), the sponsor previously made an application for permanent residence and became a permanent resident and at the time of that application, the foreign national was non- accompanying family member of the sponsor and was not examined.

Based on the information you have presented to this office, it would appear you fall within the exclusion established by this provision. Specially, it would appear you were not examined when your sponsor applied for the subsequently obtained permanent residence in Canada.

Before an officer proceeds to a final decision, we would like you to offer the opportunity to respond to this concern.

If Your sponsor can demonstrate that you were declared as a family member and examined at the time of his application for permanent residence, it may be possible to proceed with your application. One of demonstrating that you were declared as a family member would be to provide a copy of your sponsor's application for permanent residence. If your sponsor does not have personal records, he/she may wish to contact any representative who might have assisted in their application and retained a copy of their file.

Any evidence or submissions which you or your sponsor may wish to submit to this office for consideration is response to the concerns identified above must be received at our office within 45 days of the date of this letter.

At the end of this period, your file will be examined by visa officer. The officer will review your file and will make a decision on the application, taking into consideration all of the facts, circumstances and submissions before him/her. This will, of course, include your response (if any) to the concerns identified above and any additional documentation you have submitted. If you choose not to respond, the officer will make a decision on the basis on the information before him/her.

Please be aware that as a result of the identified exclusion issue, failure to provide any additional submission will likely result in the refusal of your application for permanent residence.

You should send any submission you wish to make to the following address:

Attention: Embassy of Canada

Family Class Section, Code: PrFC-117(9)(d)

Level 6, Tower 2, RCBC Plaza

6819 Ayala Avenue

Makati City 1200

Philippines

i dont know what to do i never hire a representative and my mom sponsored me and he never hire for representative too, and the Big problem is he never keep a copy of my permanent residence application

my question is:

1. how to i get or request a copy of my permanent resident form from the immigration

2. how long it will take to get?

3. do i have to call a immigration lawyer now?

4. what other proof do i need to give them if they only need my permanent resident copy?

my mom cant help me and i dont know what to do this is so frustrating because i only have 30 days left to respond to this letter please help me.

junaid_m

Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26 Sep 2012
AOR Received.
5 Nov 2012
Med's Request
July 2014
Med's Done....
Sep 2014
Passport Req..
7th Nov 2014
VISA ISSUED...
5 Dec
i would like to ask one thing my wife is residing in canada and she is canadian citizen now i am applying for spousal sponsorship for myself and my question is..is it necessary to go for medical examination before applying?

KJG

Champion Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
June 14, 2012
File Transfer...
June 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 3, 2012
Interview........
Oct 4, 2012 9:00am
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
junaid_m said:
i would like to ask one thing my wife is residing in canada and she is canadian citizen now i am applying for spousal sponsorship for myself and my question is..is it necessary to go for medical examination before applying?
yes...check your country specific forms for applying and there is a medical app in there with instructions...

rose87

Star Member
Jun 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LeisaP said:
sorry i wasnt involved in the convo. but i do know about the information computergeek stated,
this is the link to the cic bulliten regarding the 5 year sponsoring bar.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob386.asp

:)
Thanks leisa ! :)

but your stated link doesn't contain any info regarding what computergeek said, ' you must remain together for at least two years after you become a PR in order to retain your permanent residency.' Rather your website link states,

''Spousal sponsorship requires an undertaking of financial responsibility for a spouse or partner for three years. If the relationship breaks down, the sponsor remains financially responsible until the end of the three-year undertaking period, irrespective of the causes of the breakdown. As well, a sponsor may not sponsor a subsequent spouse or partner for the duration of the undertaking.''

Any idea where did he get that 2 years info from?

ABCDN

Jul 3, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2012
AOR Received.
28-06-2012
File Transfer...
Sponsor Approval & Transferred 08-06-2012
Med's Done....
19-12-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-07-2012
Here is a news release dictating the new rule in regards to the 2 year stipulation: March 9, 2012, Minister Kenney put out a news release. It is posted on the CIC website. I am not allowed to post links in this message - sorry. The news release is entitled: "News Release – Conditional permanent residence proposed to deter marriages of convenience"

Hope this helps. Cheers,

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Elpit said:
Greetings,
My husband and I are in Canada. We have completed these forms to sponsor me inland. He is Canadian. I am from Russia. We moved to Canada a few weeks ago. We are married for 8 years. We both have worked abroad for all this years. Our package doesn't look so big, although I think we have all documents required. I would appreciate, if you take a look at our set and clear some questions for me:

As I understand, all documents have to go to Vegreville,Alberta, right?
If you are applying inland then yes. Just so you know inland is longer. Outland is averaging 13 months for the second stage for Russia. You can be in Canada and apply for outland easily. The first stage for inland is 11 months. Just a thought.

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
ABCDN said:
Here is a news release dictating the new rule in regards to the 2 year stipulation: March 9, 2012, Minister Kenney put out a news release. It is posted on the CIC website. I am not allowed to post links in this message - sorry. The news release is entitled: "News Release – Conditional permanent residence proposed to deter marriages of convenience"

Hope this helps. Cheers,
ah great!! thanks for that
here is the link. it allows me to post it
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-03-09.asp

quietloud

Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2012
AOR Received.
27-08-2012
Med's Done....
23-07-2012
Hi!

First of all, this forum has been immensely helpful as I'm preparing my application for PR (outland, Warsaw office). But I do have some questions which you guys might know the answers to:

I came to Ontario in September 2011 on a Working Holiday visa, met my now-fiancé very soon afterwards. We are getting married on July 20th and hoping to send off all the paperwork for my permanent residency soon afterwards.

Right now, we plan to leave Canada for a honeymoon in the middle of August (11th) and return on September 1st. My WH visa expires in the beginning of September and I fully expect no entry based on that, so I'm applying for a status change to visitor.

Here are my questions:

1) Originally I intended to apply for status change after getting married, so I could include the marriage certificate to make a stronger case for extending my stay but it seems that is cutting it way too close. Do I stand a chance of getting a status change if I apply now, describe my circumstances (planning to apply for PR ASAP after the wedding) and include papers that prove I'm getting married on July 20th?

2) I planned to apply for a status change (to visitor) online but according to their website the paper application processing time is actually shorter by a week, so is paper the way to go?

3) Will they give their answer (about whether they approve the status change) by email or by post? If it comes in the mail then I guess we'll just stay at home and wait for it rather than travel abroad.

4) And a more general question I guess, but: is it really stupid to travel abroad during this time? The tickets have been bought and plans made but I would rather not risk not being allowed back into Canada...

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
quietloud said:
Hi!

First of all, this forum has been immensely helpful as I'm preparing my application for PR (outland, Warsaw office). But I do have some questions which you guys might know the answers to:

I came to Ontario in September 2011 on a Working Holiday visa, met my now-fiancé very soon afterwards. We are getting married on July 20th and hoping to send off all the paperwork for my permanent residency soon afterwards.

Right now, we plan to leave Canada for a honeymoon in the middle of August (11th) and return on September 1st. My WH visa expires in the beginning of September and I fully expect no entry based on that, so I'm applying for a status change to visitor.

Here are my questions:

1) Originally I intended to apply for status change after getting married, so I could include the marriage certificate to make a stronger case for extending my stay but it seems that is cutting it way too close. Do I stand a chance of getting a status change if I apply now, describe my circumstances (planning to apply for PR ASAP after the wedding) and include papers that prove I'm getting married on July 20th?

2) I planned to apply for a status change (to visitor) online but according to their website the paper application processing time is actually shorter by a week, so is paper the way to go?

3) Will they give their answer (about whether they approve the status change) by email or by post? If it comes in the mail then I guess we'll just stay at home and wait for it rather than travel abroad.

4) And a more general question I guess, but: is it really stupid to travel abroad during this time? The tickets have been bought and plans made but I would rather not risk not being allowed back into Canada...
If you're planning on leaving Canada, there's really no point in applying for it. Just enter back in. HOWEVER, I must tell you that no one can fully tell you if you'll even be allowed back in. I honestly wouldn't even travel until you're a PR because you do not have the RIGHT to enter Canada as a visitor, it's a privilege, this is according to border patrol. Usually once they find out you're applying for PR, they will deny you because you wouldn't have proof that you would be leaving.

GIRL29

Star Member
Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tuesday, July 03,2012

Dear Mr. XXX

Please be informed that on 07 May 2012,we sent a request for additional documentation which include to the medical instructions to the applicant.
We have not recieved yje requested documents to date.

We Trust this information is of assistance.

Sincerely,

Family Reunification Unit
Embassy of Canada, Manila-Ambassade du Canada, Manille
Level 6,Tower 2,RCBC Plaza
6819 Ayala Avenue
Makati City 1200,Philippines
Fax(632)8431094
www.philippines.ga.ca

I havent recieve the letter yet til my husband receive email from them..
I am stil confused about it. Do I have to do my medical without the letter and I wil just print this email and showed to the Dr. or what?
Sorry guys f i stil posting this but I dont want to get another delay again..:(advice much appreciated thnx

justiffi

Jul 8, 2012
Hi there..

I read the initial postings and its a great collection of information and according to the early posts, there is no minimum salary requirement if you're sponsoring your wife and it applies in other cases but not in the case of spousal sponsorship. But that information was posted in 2010 and I'm just wondering if it still applies or has there been some changes since then. I'm just about to file the papers so I really need to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

I'll clear up the question I guess.

Is there (now) a requirement for a minimum salary to sponsor my wife?

I would really appreciate an answer soon.

Thanks.