+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah, this exactly what it is. I will stop worrying about it and see what happens
Ideally it would have been better -in theory - to disclose before you became a OR to IRCC that you have a spouse but you understand the marriage is not considered legal by IRCC. I don't know how they would have handled that - in theory they should have declined it. It's hard to know exactly how they will approach now.

You might speak to a lawyer because if they decide you should have included him, you will have a very difficult situation (he would be inelgibile for sponsorship). But I don't know that they would say anything different than outlining the truth.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We did reach out to a lawyer then and they advised that he should not be added because it will not be recognized and the only people exempted in such marriages are military personnels if I remember correctly. They further mentioned that the fact that we had not even lived together at all will make it even worse. So it was decided to not add him as there is no record of marriage according to Canadian standards. He also referred us to the website fir confirmation
https://www.ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1081&top=14#
-If you spoke to a lawyer before and they advised you of something, then a) that is relevant and you should have mentioned it when posting here - not doing so is disrespectful of others' time; and b) it may also make sense to speak to that same lawyer.

-unfortunately, I am not sure that IRCC will always act consistently - even though they are clear that they do not recognize proxy marriages, that does not categorically mean they believe applicants aren't required to disclose such marriages. (Yes, this is not entirely logically consistent.)

Reactions: Kaibigan

Temidayo_

Dec 3, 2019
-If you spoke to a lawyer before and they advised you of something, then a) that is relevant and you should have mentioned it when posting here - not doing so is disrespectful of others' time; and b) it may also make sense to speak to that same lawyer.

-unfortunately, I am not sure that IRCC will always act consistently - even though they are clear that they do not recognize proxy marriages, that does not categorically mean they believe applicants aren't required to disclose such marriages. (Yes, this is not entirely logically consistent.)
Alright, thanks for your input and apologies for the time invested.

pomgrapes

Dec 10, 2023
Unfortunately there is not much you can do but wait. (I would have suggested reaching out to your MP but you've already done that and your MP can't actually speed up processing).

Since you received a PFL, your application is unfortunately non standard and will likely take longer than normal. If you are asking IRCC to process your application under common law, I assume you have lived together continuously for at least one full year and you provided evidence to prove the one year of cohabitation.

I'm sorry your wife's situation is so unsafe. Is there somewhere she can move to temporarily that is safer? Did you try applying for a TRV at any point?

Tried reaching out to my local MP multiple times and they said the office is not responding to any of there requests. We got a PFL but when the MP asked IRCC about my file they told them that it is a routine process. Even though they know my son has a Canadian citizenship and my wife is currently pregnant in her 8th month. I even sent them multiple articles about what is happening near our home which are online from news agencies like The Guardian, ABC news, CBS and many more.
I wish we had somewhere else to move but when missiles are dropping from the sky and anti-ballistic missiles are being fired from the ground it's hard to move around especially with an 8 month pregnant women and a 4 year old boy. Asked my MP about applying for a TRV and a couple of lawyers they all told me from Yemen it's impossible for her to get an approval.

It's crazy the amount of pictures they have from the first day of our marriage to the last day before I came back to Canada to even deny our marriage I quote from the GCMS notes I received from IRCC written by the officer "
NOTES: 3
Created Date: 2023/11/13
Updated Date: 2023/11/13
Restricted: N
Label: Eligibility
Office: London
Text: Reviewed - appears this may have been a proxy marriage but it is not clear.
Satisfied this is a genuine relationship, they cohabited for a number of years post wedding, have a child
together, have recently travelled to meet in Jordan, seen photos of them at various times and they appear
happy and in a genuine relationship. Seen evidence of communication.
Will PFL on proxy marriage, give them an opportunity to explain whether this was proxy or not. ill explain
if it is a proxy marriage, and excluded I could consider them at CLPs (as state they cohabited for 4 years) if
they consent and provide evidence of cohabitation. "

sonusweetie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Hi, I'm about to sponsor my spouse through Inland PR application (he currently lives in Canada on closed WP) and have some questions. I've tried looking for answers on the IRCC website but find myself going round in circles.

So, I understand there have to be 2 applications submitted to IRCC - one by the sponsor (me) and other by the PA (my spouse).

1. Where do we go and submit both these applications?
2. Can we both submit both applications (sponsor and PA) at the same time, or does it have to be sponsor first and then PA's application?
3. It looks like all documents are to be uploaded by the PA. Which documents are required to be uploaded by the sponsor in the sponsor application?

Feb 10, 2023
Hello everyone. I have a confusion about forms regarding family sponsorship.

Im as PR in canada and now applying for my spouse and 2 kids below 6 years.

While my spouse can fill her forms online, the sponsor forms are the one to be filled and upload as PDF. I have couple of questions if someone can answer them with their experiences.

i am filling imm 1344 form for everyone.

Imm 5532 is the form which I am only filling for my spouse not for every child.

Am i doing it correctly?

Seekinginfo24

Feb 25, 2024
Hi all. I'm newly married and my wife has applied for a visit visa to visit me in Canada. I've provided letter of invitation and funds (bank statements, payslips, confirmation of employment) and taken responsibility during her stay here. She's also attached payslips and confirmation of employment on her part as well as property valuation document (property in her name).

I'm still gathering documents required for sponsoring her. What are the chances of a successful application? Should I wait for a decision on this application before sponsoring her for PR or can I go ahead and do that while I wait?

Thank you and appreciate your response.

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
Hi, I'm about to sponsor my spouse through Inland PR application (he currently lives in Canada on closed WP) and have some questions. I've tried looking for answers on the IRCC website but find myself going round in circles.

So, I understand there have to be 2 applications submitted to IRCC - one by the sponsor (me) and other by the PA (my spouse).

1. Where do we go and submit both these applications?
2. Can we both submit both applications (sponsor and PA) at the same time, or does it have to be sponsor first and then PA's application?
3. It looks like all documents are to be uploaded by the PA. Which documents are required to be uploaded by the sponsor in the sponsor application?
There is only one application and the principal applicant (PA) will submit everything. Even though it sounds like there are two applications, in reality, it is only one. There are some documents that the sponsor will have to fill, sign, and provide to the PA, but the PA will upload and submit them.

The sponsor can manage the application on behalf of the PA if appointed as a representative (there is a form that needs to be submitted together if that's the case).

The application is submitted through the Permanent Residence portal:
https://prson-srpel.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/login

Here is the full guide:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Reactions: sonusweetie

sidhuripudaman

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
Hello everyone!

I applied Dec 3, 2023, got AOR on 22 Dec. Jan 25 biometrics letter and was updated as completed on GCKEY same day and pr portal the next day. Feb 17 I passed the medical. It's been a long time haven't heard anything regarding eligibility, when can I expect to hear on that? Or am I expecting something else before that?

Stutiii

Apr 25, 2023
Hi everyone, I had a question regarding inland spousal application. My PR application is in process and has passed the biometrics and medical steps. It is undergoing background check. Can I still sponsor my partner while my application is in process or do I have to wait until I receive my COPR?