+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

itsflo

Oct 5, 2011
Danostar said:
It's important to mention that substantial evidence was sent with the application, emails for 1 1/2 years (about 200), telephone records before and after marriage ( about 1000 calls), letters, and about 250 photos documenting all trips, honeymoon and several other things including plane boarding passes proving we travelled together.
When you say emails, or chat transcripts for that matter, do we have to include the entire text in the mail/chat, or are screenshots acceptable? What about private conversations? ::)

mapleleafs2011

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
mapleleafs2011 said:
Some questions about "Additional Family Information" IMM 5406E

1. It says Complete ALL names in English and in your native language.
The person filling this out (my wife.) speaks english and her native tongue. Do I have to absolutely fill it out in both languages? She's an American Citizen.

2. In Section A where it says "Spouse or common-law partner"
Does this still apply to me as I'm the one sponsoring her? I don't see why she would have to put me.

Misc questions.

1. Can I just contact the call centre and ask questions about the application form? Or is this a no no? (1-888-242‑2100)

2. How long are processing times nowadays? Is it still around 1 year to get a PR? (American -> To Canada)
Can anyone help me on these questions?
Also, how long does the whole process take approximently for a American -> Canadian

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mapleleafs2011 said:
Can anyone help me on these questions?
Also, how long does the whole process take approximently for a American -> Canadian
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5406E.PDF

is that the form

avg processing time is 11 mths

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp

Canuck_28

Oct 5, 2011
I am a Canadian looking to move back to Canada, Vancouver to be exact and was wondering if anybody had any information on spouse sponsorship. I've tried calling the Canadian Consulate in Houston, Dallas and Seattle and all three have directed me to the Citizen and Immigration website which has answered most of my questions, but it still would be nice to actually talk things over with somebody.

My specific questions relate to what is the best option, should I look to apply for sponsorship once I am in Canada or do it now, while I am still in the US? If I apply in Canada, and send an application for an open work permit for my spouse, what is the actual time frame on getting the open work permit approved? I know that the sponsorship application can take somewhere between 12 and 18 months, but does the open work permit take that long or does it typically get approved within the first month or two? What are the stipulations on leaving the Country during the application process and does it apply to American Citizens?

Any and all information, insight and thoughts would be much appreciated!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Canuck_28 said:
I am a Canadian looking to move back to Canada, Vancouver to be exact and was wondering if anybody had any information on spouse sponsorship. I've tried calling the Canadian Consulate in Houston, Dallas and Seattle and all three have directed me to the Citizen and Immigration website which has answered most of my questions, but it still would be nice to actually talk things over with somebody.

My specific questions relate to what is the best option, should I look to apply for sponsorship once I am in Canada or do it now, while I am still in the US? If I apply in Canada, and send an application for an open work permit for my spouse, what is the actual time frame on getting the open work permit approved? I know that the sponsorship application can take somewhere between 12 and 18 months, but does the open work permit take that long or does it typically get approved within the first month or two? What are the stipulations on leaving the Country during the application process and does it apply to American Citizens?

Any and all information, insight and thoughts would be much appreciated!
The best option is decided by your circumstances, each has advantages and disadvantages. Read Leon's post, the first one in this thread. Americans are usually best sponsored Outland, rather than Inland. She would not qualify for an OWP in that case, but her processing could be completed in less time than the 10+ months required for stage 1 of Inland processing, plus another 8-9 for second stage.

If you choose Inland, she would not get an OWP until first stage processing is completed, again this is around 10+ months.

Inland applicants are not to leave the country during processing, this applies across the board. Outland applicants may visit, leave and return as permitted by the border agents at the port of entry. In the case of American spouses, many choose to have their application processed Outland, even while visiting with their spouses in Canada. Being visa-exempt, they may be admitted for up to 6 months at a time as a visitor.

If you will have a hard time establishing proof of intent to re-settle in Canada, start the process after you return. If you already have concrete plans in place to return, start the process and apply while you are still outside Canada. As a citizen, you have that option.

visanews

May 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am reading too much and getting myself confused!!

Question: My wife(to be) to sponsor me lives in Quebec. Although I am in Quebec on a tourist visa, we are choosing to apply outland to London. Do we therefore send all the forms to London first or, to Mississauga first and it is then forwarded onto London after she has been approved as a sponsor?

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
visanews said:
I am reading too much and getting myself confused!!

Question: My wife(to be) to sponsor me lives in Quebec. Although I am in Quebec on a tourist visa, we are choosing to apply outland to London. Do we therefore send all the forms to London first or, to Mississauga first and it is then forwarded onto London after she has been approved as a sponsor?
send to mississauga since u live in Quebec things are a little different you also need to apply for a CSQ whcih you do after you have been approved by mississauga

visanews

May 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Excellent! That clears things up. Many thanks :D

emadiano

Star Member
Oct 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2011
Interview........
06-02-2012
Passport Req..
2-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2013
LANDED..........
10-05-2013
hello everyone if anyone know what i have to do
i'm egyptian married from canadian and immgration office in canada they sent us a letter said that i'm applyed
so i want to know what i have to do after that
please if anyone can help me i be thankful

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
They sent a letter saying they received your application or that you have been approved?

emadiano

Star Member
Oct 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2011
Interview........
06-02-2012
Passport Req..
2-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2013
LANDED..........
10-05-2013
yes they said im approved and there is number of my file and they told me to tlak with embassy and i dont know what dose it means

emadiano

Star Member
Oct 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2011
Interview........
06-02-2012
Passport Req..
2-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2013
LANDED..........
10-05-2013
hello i'm egyptian :

please can anyone answer me i need help
i got letter from imffgration office in canada said that im applyed and i have done step one. and step two its in the canadian embassy in my country (cairo) egypt,
and i have a number of my file and i dont know what i have to do so if anyone know anything can help in this topic please inform me

miszbaby

Aug 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ailvin_1205 said:
Good Day everyone

I am a Filipino Citizen and currently living here in the Philippines and my wife is a Filipina also and a resident of Regina, Saskatchewan for 3 years now. Here were the achievements and details of our application to sponsor me to Canada:

June 2, 2011 Application received at Saskatchewan (Application of my wife to sponsor me)
July 11, 2011 Started processing my wife's Sponsorial Application and also sent a letter to wife referring to the decision.
August 15, 2011 Canadian Embassy in Manila received and approved my wife's application to sponsor me
August 19,2011 I received a letter dated August 16,2011 requesting to submit my passport and other documents (Advisory on Marriages by NSO)
August 22, 2011 Passport and add.documents dropped off at Manila office basement
September 22, 2011 My mailing address appeared on CIC Canada/On-line Services Website
October 5,2011 Already 8 weeks have passed since dropped off but still NO Passport with Visa receive and still waiting for results

Please feel free to help or give your opinions about our Application... Thanks and Godbless
hello ailvin its take 6-10 month the proccessing of spousal apllication..but its defend to the agent..

ayad

Oct 3, 2011
I sent my application on aug 2nd they got it aug 4th still havint heard anything from missisgua i live in regina sponoring my wife from iraq she did her medical stuf in turkey and im getting worried its been like 2 months and not a word from them yet i would feel good if they said your papers are good and so on but its getting stupid now can anyone tell me when i should expect to hear something or whats the hold up plz

emadiano

Star Member
Oct 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2011
Interview........
06-02-2012
Passport Req..
2-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2013
LANDED..........
10-05-2013
hello i'm egyptian :

please can anyone answer me i need help
i got letter from imffgration office in canada said that im applyed and i have done step one. and step two its in the canadian embassy in my country (cairo) egypt,
and i have a number of my file and i dont know what i have to do so if anyone know anything can help in this topic please inform me